Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
So what exactly does it look like in Afterburner (or whatever) when a [AMD] card can't work any faster because it's too hot? My cards are both hitting ~92C and neither is getting used more than like 40% in (for example) BF4, but CPU usage is only around 70% too and it's not like my framerates are crazy high, monitor is 96hz and vsync is off anyway. What the gently caress this is annoying. They both look like they're staying clocked around 947MHz like they should be too, which is confusing - if it's a thermal thing shouldn't it be trying to work closer to 100% and downclocking? I know BF4 is a pile of poo poo but I also know it should be performing way better, and my PC's not full of cat hair or anything.

I know that's all in trivially simple terms but I don't really feel like doing a lot of loving around or troubleshooting and all I can see is that BF4 isn't running as well as it should be. I have to do some work to swap out some drives soon anyway, I guess when I do that I could try taking a card out or something.

edit: I'd try just running the fans at 100% for a bit, but Afterburner will only let me control the primary card's fan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Straker posted:

So what exactly does it look like in Afterburner (or whatever) when a [AMD] card can't work any faster because it's too hot? My cards are both hitting ~92C and neither is getting used more than like 40% in (for example) BF4, but CPU usage is only around 70% too and it's not like my framerates are crazy high, monitor is 96hz and vsync is off anyway. What the gently caress this is annoying. They both look like they're staying clocked around 947MHz like they should be too, which is confusing - if it's a thermal thing shouldn't it be trying to work closer to 100% and downclocking? I know BF4 is a pile of poo poo but I also know it should be performing way better, and my PC's not full of cat hair or anything.

I know that's all in trivially simple terms but I don't really feel like doing a lot of loving around or troubleshooting and all I can see is that BF4 isn't running as well as it should be. I have to do some work to swap out some drives soon anyway, I guess when I do that I could try taking a card out or something.

BF4 is objectively a pile of poo poo, but not as far as graphics are concerned. They are wonderfully optimized all things considered.

Did your cards always run this hot? What kind are they? Whatever the case, I'd redo the thermal paste since its very easy and pretty much always yields results even with brand new cards. Even so... I'm not sure that could account for that much heat with 40% utilization. Plus I'm sure the game runs like complete poo poo if you're only getting 40% out of your cards.

My two in SLI right now never go above 65 degrees under any circumstance. Overclocked or not, 100% for hours. Different brands, but for a little perspective. My last single card never got above 55 degrees at 40% fan duty overclocked with almost 30% extra clock speed.

Something is wrong. But that's good, so it can probably be fixed :)

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013
Interesting specs on those. Quad 770's for $350 sounds like a bargain until they catch on fire.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Straker posted:

edit: I'd try just running the fans at 100% for a bit, but Afterburner will only let me control the primary card's fan

Are they running hot even when not gaming? Is there a chance you could have some mining malware?

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Doyzer posted:

Interesting specs on those. Quad 770's for $350 sounds like a bargain until they catch on fire.

and likely complete bullshit specs.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ignoarints posted:

and likely complete bullshit specs.

They also look like they are using a single aluminum heatsink under all that fan.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Doyzer posted:

It's far more likely that those things they are masquerading as GTX 770's use such little power that they couldn't cause a fire even if they tried. They are 100% flashed cheap GPU's that will say they are a GTX 770 in the BIOS but perform like a 50 dollar GPU.

The funny thing is that the actual GPU specs don't seem to lie, the thing has DDR3 RAM on it, some really low clocks and even comes with crap like a VGA port standard.

m3monster
Jan 3, 2009

Ignoarints posted:

Jesus Christ guys, we've been getting ripped off. GTX 770's only cost $84.95 direct from China.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1041810

:v:

alarming how much positive feedback

I wish I had 90 bucks to burn (literally judging by that that heatsink :) ) just to see what these really are.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

m3monster posted:

I wish I had 90 bucks to burn (literally judging by that that heatsink :) ) just to see what these really are.

I dunno, I might splurge and get the 7750 they're offering. Almost double the performance according to price!

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Straker posted:

You're using 290's? If the cards are not throttling, it's not the temps. What driver rev are you on? Might also try setting RenderDevice.FramePacingMethod to 1 instead of 2.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
Thanks for the posts, I'll try some stuff. Yeah, pair of 290s, the top one idles fairly warm but that's with fans barely spinning, they're not mining in the background or anything :)

Good to hear they should be explicitly throttling if too hot, I figured it was probably a coincidence and it was just the fans ramping up just barely enough to keep the cards around 94.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Beautiful Ninja posted:

It's far more likely that those things they are masquerading as GTX 770's use such little power that they couldn't cause a fire even if they tried. They are 100% flashed cheap GPU's that will say they are a GTX 770 in the BIOS but perform like a 50 dollar GPU.

The funny thing is that the actual GPU specs don't seem to lie, the thing has DDR3 RAM on it, some really low clocks and even comes with crap like a VGA port standard.

The $74 750ti's almost fall into the realm of believably though; how much could the chip really cost? That's one of those things that could be more from a supply chain leak. I ain't gonna find out myself though.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Yeah right next to it (for $5 more) is a "GTX 760" with 2gb of DDR5 at 3400 mhz, but 800mhz core clock and 128bit memory (?). Chipset manufacturer "AMD". "Fan: Random" lol

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So I posted this in the building thread too but I figured I might have better luck here. I ordered the MSI Radeon R9 270 and out of the box was getting no feed to my monitor. Everything is plugged in and the card is now screwed into my case but still I don't get a feed.

I tried installing the drivers to see if that would help but I get an error message when trying to do so every time. Anybody have any experience with this card who could at least tell me if it should be displaying out of the box before drivers?

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
So I just updated my Nvidia drivers for my GTX660's to the latest version, and discovered my GPU clock is now running at about half of what it used to. The patch notes mention clock speeds would change due to power management settings, but none of my games seem to make it ramp up to full speed anymore. Should I worry, or is Precision X just not able to measure clocks properly with these new drivers?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

SocketSeven posted:

So I just updated my Nvidia drivers for my GTX660's to the latest version, and discovered my GPU clock is now running at about half of what it used to. The patch notes mention clock speeds would change due to power management settings, but none of my games seem to make it ramp up to full speed anymore. Should I worry, or is Precision X just not able to measure clocks properly with these new drivers?

Are your games running the same?

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

So I posted this in the building thread too but I figured I might have better luck here. I ordered the MSI Radeon R9 270 and out of the box was getting no feed to my monitor. Everything is plugged in and the card is now screwed into my case but still I don't get a feed.

I tried installing the drivers to see if that would help but I get an error message when trying to do so every time. Anybody have any experience with this card who could at least tell me if it should be displaying out of the box before drivers?

If everything went well (correct drivers, etc) then its probably just broken. If you had a video card in that slot before that worked then its probably the card. In the other thread you mentioned it was hard to get in or something, check the slot with a flashlight its not all that hard to break a bunch of pins either.

SocketSeven posted:

I lost no clock speed at all with 660 ti's. Half sounds extreme. Download something else to check clock speed with. The only thing off the top of my head is Intel Extreme Tuning utility but I'm sure there are plenty. Or Heaven 4.0, and you can benchmark it there at the same time.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Is your game performance slow? It may not need to hit P0 if you are playing FTL or something.

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.
Has anyone had any luck getting the latest ShadowPlay to work in desktop capture mode? I am able to record manually but it doesn't seem shadow recording works.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

weinus posted:

Has anyone had any luck getting the latest ShadowPlay to work in desktop capture mode? I am able to record manually but it doesn't seem shadow recording works.

I don't know, but if it helps, that open source https://obsproject.com/ program has a checkbox to use "NVenc" Nvidia hardware encoding. You get the same performance as Shadowplay and it'll stream anything to anything.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
I am an idiot. HWiNFO64 was making precision X report false readings. Let my stupidity be a warning to others.

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

I don't know, but if it helps, that open source https://obsproject.com/ program has a checkbox to use "NVenc" Nvidia hardware encoding. You get the same performance as Shadowplay and it'll stream anything to anything.

Yeah looking to try that but the latest beta drivers broke it... waiting for OBS to update.

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

weinus posted:

Yeah looking to try that but the latest beta drivers broke it... waiting for OBS to update.

It's not really something for OBS to fix. You need to grab an earlier version of nvEncodeAPI64.dll and/or nvEncodeAPI.dll and copy to the proper place.

https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/obs-nvenc-337-50-driver.13244/

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Ignoarints posted:

Jesus Christ guys, we've been getting ripped off. GTX 770's only cost $84.95 direct from China.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1041810

:v:

alarming how much positive feedback

This is amazing. The fact that the "770" card is significantly slower than your average 770, along with how they say that you should not worry about tax since they will send it as a gift so it will hopefully avoid customs is beyond hilarious.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Those are on newegg as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=-1&IsNodeId=1&Description=GTX770&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

From their resellers

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Wow. Now that's bad.

Official website from the newegg page

Oh man the chat box covered up one of the best parts

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 14, 2014

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Hah their email is appropiately @qq.com

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

Fartbong Bonersatan posted:

It's not really something for OBS to fix. You need to grab an earlier version of nvEncodeAPI64.dll and/or nvEncodeAPI.dll and copy to the proper place.

https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/obs-nvenc-337-50-driver.13244/

Yeah I saw that but wasn't sure if it'd have any effect on ShadowPlay using GeForce experience. Any idea?

Royal Hammer
Mar 26, 2014
So a lot of miners are selling off their mining rigs/cards on ebay, since bitcoin/dogecoin prices are dropping. I talked to one seller, and he said his r9 280x's that he's selling were used for five months, and kept below 75 degrees. Assuming he's telling the truth, how bad an idea would it be to buy one of his used mining cards for video gaming?

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
I really, really hate the idea of a 24/7 used card. That's like stress testing for 5 months. That's like playing 3 or 4 hours a day for 3 years.

It would have to be cheap as poo poo for me to buy one of those.

That's not based on any actual data, or any knowledge of how a chip "wears" or how hard mining is on a card. Regardless though

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Royal Hammer posted:

So a lot of miners are selling off their mining rigs/cards on ebay, since bitcoin/dogecoin prices are dropping. I talked to one seller, and he said his r9 280x's that he's selling were used for five months, and kept below 75 degrees. Assuming he's telling the truth, how bad an idea would it be to buy one of his used mining cards for video gaming?

Would depend on price and your risk tolerance. If it was fairly cheap, and you normally upgrade relatively often anyways, it might be worthwhile. I'm somewhat tempted to look into it myself, since I've been wanting a new card.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Another way to look at it is that those cards have been extensively burn-in tested for you so you know they're free of manufacturing defects and won't experience infant mortality. I don't think there's ever been evidence that cards that were previously used for mining without issues are less reliable than other used cards.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Alereon posted:

Another way to look at it is that those cards have been extensively burn-in tested for you so you know they're free of manufacturing defects and won't experience infant mortality. I don't think there's ever been evidence that cards that were previously used for mining without issues are less reliable than other used cards.

What would be the limit there? Is 9 months too long? 12?

I don't know, it would make me uncomfortable. I'm all for used stuff too. After looking at two "how long did your card last" threads it seems very heat dependent, or just plain luck, but most people are happy that they've lasted a few months so far. Some people say they've had some go for 1-2 years being very clear they were in the 70 degree range. Some people say 24/7 cards don't perform as well for games anymore compared to the same cards that were never used for that. Fan failures seem most common, then thermal paste failures. This is all just user reported crap of course.

It's probably fine. I wouldn't mess with it personally (well, it'd have to be a serious price drop at any rate)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Ignoarints posted:

I really, really hate the idea of a 24/7 used card. That's like stress testing for 5 months. That's like playing 3 or 4 hours a day for 3 years.

It would have to be cheap as poo poo for me to buy one of those.

That's not based on any actual data, or any knowledge of how a chip "wears" or how hard mining is on a card. Regardless though

EVGA allows existing warranties to transfer to new owners, and PNY allows the "original" owner to register for a Lifetime Limited Warranty. If the seller hasn't registered a PNY card yet and has the receipt, you can get it registered in your name. I've at least sold cards to goons and they registered my cards successfully for themselves. There might be a time limit on when you have to register it by.

Basically, check out the fine print and you might have ways to cover your rear end if buying a used card.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

"Was DDR5" :catstare:

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Really truly should be pulled from newegg

Royal Hammer
Mar 26, 2014

Oh good lord- the gambler in me kind of wants to buy one just to see what it does.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Royal Hammer posted:

Oh good lord- the gambler in me kind of wants to buy one just to see what it does.

I'm going with "Turns computer into this picture from the Ticket thread"

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

DiggityDoink posted:

I'm going with "Turns computer into this picture from the Ticket thread"

That gives me creepy crawlies just looking at it, what in the gently caress happened to that computer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Agreed posted:

That gives me creepy crawlies just looking at it, what in the gently caress happened to that computer?

According to the ticket thread, it was in a house that burnt to the ground and the owner wanted to know if it was possible to get their files off the HD.