Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I will never understand the appeal of fake kit cars. If you are going to build something, build something that's not already a totally different thing. How do you deal with the embarrassment after people realize that it's got the same motor as a Grand Prix?

meatpimp posted:

ASKING $31,500 OBO

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Wojcigitty posted:

I will never understand the appeal of fake kit cars. If you are going to build something, build something that's not already a totally different thing. How do you deal with the embarrassment after people realize that it's got the same motor as a Grand Prix?

:psyduck:

I offer 100 dollars, the best offer he's going to get. :smugbert:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hell, I'd go $500. I could easily wring that much amusement out of it.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
So I've only made one car purchase long distance before - the buyer was about to take a road trip in my direction so I paid him a miniscule deposit after a friend checked out the car, and a week later he delivered it to my door where I paid him the full amount.

I'm now looking at buying long distance again - the price is good and I'd like to close the deal before someone scoops it up (AP2 S2000 sold by not-a-car-lady). A goon is checking out the car for me in the next day or two, but how do you guys recommend I secure it?

I was thinking of giving her $100 to hold on to it after I make an offer she accepts, but someone else could come make a better offer between then and the time I pick up the car, and she'd have no obligation to honor our deal (or return my deposit). Alternatively, I'm worried about putting money down and having some unpleasant surprise with the car when I go to collect, and not getting my deposit back there (and being out a round trip airfare).

So yeah - what's best procedure here? I'd like to swoop down there and just buy it now, but I have a packed schedule before leaving town at the end of the week, so it's vulnerable to other buyers for a few days.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
"Lost interest, needs some work"

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/brantford/1992-madza-b2200-project-truck/583730085?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Perhaps some real gold?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4422833284.html

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lost half the truck as well it seems.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/ottawa/1989-toyota-cressida-1800-obo/583248474?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Burgundy on Burgundy is straight up sexual. I have a r154 and a 1uz, goons what do I do?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Put engine A in car B.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

TWSS posted:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/ottawa/1989-toyota-cressida-1800-obo/583248474?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Burgundy on Burgundy is straight up sexual. I have a r154 and a 1uz, goons what do I do?

You know what must be done, for great justice.

1UZ swapped Cressida is another one of my dream projects if I ever hit the lottery and can just spend all day making Frankensteins.

Also, I will concur that Burgundy/Burgundy 80's Toyotas are the best, though I may be biased.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

There was once a minty 1982 280ZX Turbo locally that I wanted to buy but it was burgundy/burgundy leather and it was the most horrific color I had ever seen one in.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

slidebite posted:

There was once a minty 1982 280ZX Turbo locally that I wanted to buy but it was burgundy/burgundy leather and it was the most horrific color I had ever seen one in.

Sorry you hate the style and color combinations of the greatest decade.

Burgundy crushed velour interior on a brownish gold car? Extremely my poo poo.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

A Melted Tarp posted:

Sorry you hate the style and color combinations of the greatest decade.

Burgundy crushed velour interior on a brownish gold car? Extremely my poo poo.

The 280ZXs do look atrocious in Burgundy. It does not suit the car. I do like Brown Exteriors though, especially the Two-Tone Brown MK2 and MK3 Supras.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You can sell it for about 1500 more before the day is over. At least in my part of teh country

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

blk posted:

So I've only made one car purchase long distance before - the buyer was about to take a road trip in my direction so I paid him a miniscule deposit after a friend checked out the car, and a week later he delivered it to my door where I paid him the full amount.

I'm now looking at buying long distance again - the price is good and I'd like to close the deal before someone scoops it up (AP2 S2000 sold by not-a-car-lady). A goon is checking out the car for me in the next day or two, but how do you guys recommend I secure it?

I was thinking of giving her $100 to hold on to it after I make an offer she accepts, but someone else could come make a better offer between then and the time I pick up the car, and she'd have no obligation to honor our deal (or return my deposit). Alternatively, I'm worried about putting money down and having some unpleasant surprise with the car when I go to collect, and not getting my deposit back there (and being out a round trip airfare).

So yeah - what's best procedure here? I'd like to swoop down there and just buy it now, but I have a packed schedule before leaving town at the end of the week, so it's vulnerable to other buyers for a few days.

Is an escrow service a thing for this?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Coredump posted:

Is an escrow service a thing for this?

Yes it it.

It's also something any seller of something that's not some unicorn classic at top dollar would ever want to hassle with.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Motronic posted:

Yes it it.

It's also something any seller of something that's not some unicorn classic at top dollar would ever want to hassle with.

Yep. I'd try to paypal some money to hold it. Happy medium.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Nitrox posted:

You can sell it for about 1500 more before the day is over. At least in my part of teh country

I hadn't really thought to get something so recent but the price is pretty good; you're saying you'd go take a look?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I'd go take a look and bring cash. Then try to haggle from 2500 up just to see if he bites. But realistically, that car is already sold.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4425460262.html

quote:

Would make a great project for boat or hotrod.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Wojcigitty posted:

T63/Allison250/RR250 stuff

That's a different model of the engine that's in the MTT Turbine Superbike. The same company put a couple in S10s, as well, IIRC. It's not as big as it looks in those pictures, and makes somewhere between 275 and 350 shaft horsepower, depending on exactly what model it is. It's an incredibly common engine, used in MD500s, Bell 206s, etc etc.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
Future Facebook post: "Over-torqued my hot rod at the drag strip :/"

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Not sure what a used jet engine would go for, but my gut is telling me that's pretty high for a 50 year old engine in pretty much unknown condition isn't it?

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

slidebite posted:

Not sure what a used jet engine would go for, but my gut is telling me that's pretty high for a 50 year old engine in pretty much unknown condition isn't it?

Yeah, it's pretty much novelty value at this point. It has no records, and no one is going to invest the money for a insane turbine project on an engine with an unknown TBO.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

MrYenko posted:

That's a different model of the engine that's in the MTT Turbine Superbike. The same company put a couple in S10s, as well, IIRC. It's not as big as it looks in those pictures, and makes somewhere between 275 and 350 shaft horsepower, depending on exactly what model it is. It's an incredibly common engine, used in MD500s, Bell 206s, etc etc.

Umm excuse me it says right in the ad that it's a very rare military jet engine. Did you even L@@K at it bro?

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
Here is how someone who knows what they're talking about sells a gas turbine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/General-Ele...381cff9&vxp=mtr

Serial numbers of every installed part with TBO.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Possible real gold for a slow old Porsche?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4424879192.html

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
If its clean, thats really a good price. The 924 isn't a speed demon, but it can be made to handle like crazy.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Get it, unless it's rusted out. I've been looking for a nice one but the only ones that are listed are from some crazy guy's hoarder inventory where he alternately declares that he MUST SELL and WON'T NEGOTIATE.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

Seat Safety Switch posted:

alternately declares that he MUST SELL and WON'T NEGOTIATE.

These terms are not mutually exclusive on Craigslist.

The same with "all original" and "lots of upgrades".

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I still don't know what "original miles" means.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

A Melted Tarp posted:

These terms are not mutually exclusive on Craigslist.

The same with "all original" and "lots of upgrades".

"OBO", "No low-ballers"

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
LQQK Must see!

*doesn't post pics, despite the ubiquity of digital cameras*

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
RARE! COLLECTABLE! ONLY 56,983 MADE IN THIS SPECIFIC COLOUR IN ONE YEAR

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

Terrible Robot posted:

RARE! COLLECTABLE! ONLY 56,983 MADE IN THIS SPECIFIC COLOUR IN ONE YEAR

Less than 4,000 of these Sentras were made with both the 14" wheels and CD changer package!

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
No test pilots; please take my word, I am not hiding anything. No, you cannot drive it or have it inspected.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
Vehicle doesn't have a title, but you can get it in 30 seconds from the DMV. I just haven't because... reasons.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
We should really create a bingo board for stereotypical shady CL ads.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

animeliker posted:

I still don't know what "original miles" means.

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to mean on the body and the engine, which make sense in some contexts; but some people seem to think that it's just a word to throw in because it sounds good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I remember a while back (about 3 years or so) a '88 Supra Turbo Targa was listed on Kijiji. Only 37,000km but the seller was advertising "original tires and original brakes" which I assumed meant stock brakes and OEM-ish tires but no,the car had the original tires and brakes on it - from 1988. And the exhaust had holes in it but he had "an original one" to put on it. The best part was the asking price of $15,000.

Also entertaining was the 1988 Accord Sedan listed for $15k last year - it wasn't even an EX-i.