Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
e: quoting the update

Niggurath posted:

Disaster Files
Disaster File 11
Disaster File 12

The job of a mayor is to be a total badass....at least in Blue Ridge City.

Oh Ray :allears:

grancheater fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Chris "gently caress Boulders" Redfield finally has an equal.

Also while I certainly don't advocate putting points into Focus before literally anything else Concentration mode is still useful if you limit it to the shotgun so you just have to aim in the general area of an enemy. Just zoom in, fire one shot, and back out.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Those almost-perfectly-square boulders are a menace.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Monkey Fracas posted:

Those almost-perfectly-square boulders are a menace.

This city is out to kill! Or the designers really just made things exploding out into fire random?

Kibayasu posted:

Chris "gently caress Boulders" Redfield finally has an equal.

Also while I certainly don't advocate putting points into Focus before literally anything else Concentration mode is still useful if you limit it to the shotgun so you just have to aim in the general area of an enemy. Just zoom in, fire one shot, and back out.
I'm still not sure about ever working up a shotgun; there's just rarely an opportunity to use them. Most enemy encounters are over long distances and in the few instances they aren't....well the base shotgun seems to do well enough. Still I have been noticing more usefulness in the focus (as was shown in the Humvee fight), so maybe I will point some points into that at least.

Tin Tim posted:

The sick car stunts were glorious. Lmao real good.

Also, I hope we get to see the minigun at the end of the weapon tree. The most appropriate equipment for a rescue agent guy.
Aye, we will be seeing that later and it's pretty much the only way to do a very particular 'boss' fight, but it won't be until much later on. Also I'll be trying to show off all of the special unlockable weapons, but most of them are lovely gimmicks like the junk (which amazingly does have a use or two).

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
Those Humvees have what may be the most janky "physics" I've ever seen. Physics is too generous, there's no physics there, that's just extremely lazy animation work.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
God drat I cannot believe those sick nasty tanks. I love this game.

No seriously, I am one of those people who legitimately do not find ANYTHING wrong with this game or hate any part of it enough to get on it because everything this game has is golden to me. I mean, this poo poo, seriously, yes it's a really tough boss battle if you didn't upgrade your guns.
But they two-wheel grind like crazy on that fire rubble.

Niggurath posted:

This city is out to kill! Or the designers really just made things exploding out into fire random?
I'm sure Geop has some amazing short lecture to give us on the exothermic dynamics of exploding rocks, like for example what kind of rock is it? Sure hoping it's that sweet metamorphic stuff.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Man it seems like the people making this game knew exactly how much silliness to inject or it is just a beautiful coincidence.

Mutamu
Aug 10, 2011

He's Doctor, (pause), Doctor Shark!
There were SO MANY hoses on that fire truck! Actual ones too, not loving garden hoses!

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Those weren't humvees; they were some sort of go-kart/monster truck hybrid.

Pompitous
Nov 4, 2009

Space Cowboy
That beard. That stupid beard. I wish I could express this better, but here's some disastrous fan art. About that stupid beard.

Pompitous fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 11, 2014

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I can't tell if that fan-art is a baby or just really far away...!

Pompitous
Nov 4, 2009

Space Cowboy

Geop posted:

I can't tell if that fan-art is a baby or just really far away...!

It's full size now. I... You know, I can't tell either. And I made it.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Pompitous posted:

It's full size now. I... You know, I can't tell either. And I made it.
I like your idea either way cause it immediately made me think of:

VVVVVV
Hmmm, I don't think that ever pops up but considering the massive glasses of water that Ray stores in his body, I have no doubt he'd end up drowning someone before he saved them.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 11, 2014

Pompitous
Nov 4, 2009

Space Cowboy
Well that's what art does. It inspires. Also, please tell me there's a part of this game where someone is dying of thirst and you cram 15 giant saltines in their mouth and yell "I AM RESCUING YOU!" Because I think that would make this the perfect game.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Oh man, Mayor Townsend sounds like he's voiced by Jamieson Price. I love that man. :allears: This game is amazing.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I forgot, why are all those soldiers shooting Ray? Shouldn't they help save all those people? :psyduck:

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

Merijn posted:

I forgot, why are all those soldiers shooting Ray? Shouldn't they help save all those people? :psyduck:
From what I understand, they're a group of insurgent military. Maybe they don't help because they also dropped all morals when they dropped their allegiance to the US government.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Ray is, for whatever godawful reason that makes him a protagonist, considered a "priority threat" and SURGE is devoting all of their time and manpower within the city to going after him in small managable squads that he can pick off with a little luck and massive annoyance on Niggurath's part. I assume it has to do with the fact that he actually survived at the hideout while the entire rest of the FBI force died valiantly in scripted battle.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Merijn posted:

It'll be answered soon when the game remembers to stop being so action packed! But that'll be in another update, for now we've got some action padding to get through!

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Good job Ray, you apparently decided to quit being a rescue guy so you could move to loving Crisis City instead. Jeez.

Also, I don't mean this in any sort of negative way so please don't take it as such, but please do more co-commentary LPs, Niggurath. Having gone through a bunch of your LPs in the Archive, I find myself really enjoying your commentary in this one when you're not trying to be super-polite to the audience and it's more of a "Well, here's THIS fuckin' game" tone to it.

Mutamu
Aug 10, 2011

He's Doctor, (pause), Doctor Shark!
When the gently caress did this become Sonic 2006.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I too like the image of Ray shotgunning entire sleeves of crackers. :allears:

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
"We need more sickly burn victims, crying bohemian women, old folks, and children suffering from smoke inhalation on this bus pushing scheme, STAT!"

Or, here's a thought: help each other climb over the drat thing. It's what, 8 feet tall? You can't get a leg up, and then help pull others to safety?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Derek Barona posted:

Also, I don't mean this in any sort of negative way so please don't take it as such, but please do more co-commentary LPs, Niggurath. Having gone through a bunch of your LPs in the Archive, I find myself really enjoying your commentary in this one when you're not trying to be super-polite to the audience and it's more of a "Well, here's THIS fuckin' game" tone to it.
Boy, you musta enjoyed his Duke ones then, that was all co-commentary I think.

Also I am now considering starting the "Burning Park" diet. That might be a good marketing scheme.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Also I am now considering starting the "Burning Park" diet. That might be a good marketing scheme.

Marvel as the pounds melt right off of you!

I still wonder why that one guy is hanging out on the top of the bathroom building. Did he try to get the first guy out, and in his frustration, he decided to perch above the door and swoop down on the guy the moment he tried to leave?

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

I was on a huge Silent Hill kick during the winter, and he's almost the only game in town for it, so to speak. The difference between most of the episodes of Downpour and those two where VoidBurger's around is surprising.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Never watch Duke ever...

Derek Barona posted:

I was on a huge Silent Hill kick during the winter, and he's almost the only game in town for it, so to speak. The difference between most of the episodes of Downpour and those two where VoidBurger's around is surprising.
I shine the most when I've got good, talented people joining me. Voidburger is a great person, Panzer and Geop are great people, and though he's a bit rough with his English, Deceitful Penguin is a great dude.

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

"We need more sickly burn victims, crying bohemian women, old folks, and children suffering from smoke inhalation on this bus pushing scheme, STAT!"

Or, here's a thought: help each other climb over the drat thing. It's what, 8 feet tall? You can't get a leg up, and then help pull others to safety?
Well, the guy hiding in the bathroom waiting to die was pretty healthy. So it's not like we had utter wimps and cripples pushing the bus....the real question is, where did the mayor disappear off to? Is he secretly a member of SURGE?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

This is rapidly turning into the story of Exodus, and just in time for Passover!

(Little known fact: Manna was actually burgers.)

MooseLizard
Feb 20, 2011

Niggurath posted:

the real question is, where did the mayor disappear off to? Is he secretly a member of SURGE?

I guess he went looking for a radio since he's the guy broadcasting to the wiimote speaker through the entire level.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

MooseLizard posted:

I guess he went looking for a radio since he's the guy broadcasting to the wiimote speaker through the entire level.
:( my jokes are dumb, but yeah, it'll still be another update before I remembered to turn on the wii-mote speaker. I'll probably end up posting the next update sometime this weekend since this update was so short.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Derek Barona posted:

Good job Ray, you apparently decided to quit being a rescue guy so you could move to loving Crisis City instead. Jeez.

I dunno, I've really loved his horror LPs, myself. Especially the Fatal Frame ones.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

azren posted:

I dunno, I've really loved his horror LPs, myself. Especially the Fatal Frame ones.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the hell out of them even though I normally hate horror games in general. There's just a noticable difference between when he's trying to be informative over entertaining with his commentary and let the game speak for itself, and when he's basically taking the piss and giving some of his less editted for TV sort of thoughts on a given situation. It's like that for everyone, sure, but most people don't have LPs on the internet to give constructive criticism of, y'know?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Derek Barona posted:

Oh, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the hell out of them even though I normally hate horror games in general. There's just a noticable difference between when he's trying to be informative over entertaining with his commentary and let the game speak for itself, and when he's basically taking the piss and giving some of his less editted for TV sort of thoughts on a given situation. It's like that for everyone, sure, but most people don't have LPs on the internet to give constructive criticism of, y'know?
I do know what you're saying and I really do try to facilitate a comfortable environment when people do videos with me; I just usually end up going into games that don't work well with multiple people but I do enjoy when I get the opportunity.

Back on the video itself, I was a bit surprised to see that the idea of a fire-tornado is actually a pretty recently observed phenomena. It seems that it was first observed and scientifically studied during a large bush fire in Australia in Canberra; it seems that it was formed by a tornado interacting with a 'pyrocumulonimbus cloud' and it killed 4 people and injured over 490 people. So it's a bit amazing they decided to put it in the game and also that it was caused by a seemingly small number of fires....because apparently the Canberra brush fires were a bit....bad?

Also, never go to Australia because I think it's pretty much guaranteed death.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Niggurath posted:

Well, yeah. It's Australia.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Niggurath posted:

because apparently the Canberra brush fires were a bit....bad?

Derek Barona posted:

Well, yeah. It's Australia.

Judging from what I heard over here in Western Australia, I'd say they were pretty bad.

Also, I resent those remarks. :v: Not really, but y'know. Not everything's trying to kill you; only most of it!

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Yapping Eevee posted:

Not everything's trying to kill you; only most of it!

Any continent that has a random encounter rate comparable to a Final Fantasy is off my travel list, sorry.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

azren posted:

Speaking of horror, what's scariest for me about firenados isn't so much the dying but having one come along after and mess up my perfectly good Pompeii pose.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yea, as someone whos been in several earthquakes, some of which were quite strong (Including a double 6.3 one), a volcanic eruption (I got to see that I will still look fab with grey hair), a minor tsunami and extensive flooding, I can say that fire twister thing is scary as poo poo.

Yapping Eevee posted:

Judging from what I heard over here in Western Australia, I'd say they were pretty bad.

Also, I resent those remarks. :v: Not really, but y'know. Not everything's trying to kill you; only most of it!
My aunt went over there to work on her doctorate, I keep debating if I should send her the stuff from Auspol or not. She did like some of the informative videos about the usage of the c-word.

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 16, 2014

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I don't trust the mayor. Y'know videogame politicians- one minute just walking around in a suit and the next they're turning into nanomachine-fueled supermen and throwing huge chunks of rubble at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Monkey Fracas posted:

I don't trust the mayor. Y'know videogame politicians- one minute just walking around in a suit and the next they're turning into nanomachine-fueled supermen and throwing huge chunks of rubble at you.

You know, he could use his nano-powers to help out. Maybe that's why he originally told Ray to leave it to him; he was about to hulk the gently caress out, then remembered at the last minute he really likes that suit and doesn't want to ruin it.

• Locked thread