Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

So the no-boil, single-decocted, brettanomyces Berlinerweiss I made two weeks ago is absolutely, insanely, puckeringly sour. Yay!? Lemons, limes, grapefruit, citrus flavor profile. It's pretty good, but definitely smells kind of like poo poo today, pretty funky, and not in a good way. Since it's still so early in the fermentation, especially with brett being the primary fermenter, I'm hoping time will take the poo poo-edge off. Still, crazy to me how well the lacto worked, it's probably the most sour beer-type-thing I've ever tried.... and I love sours.

It was supposed to get fermented with kolsch yeast, but my viability must not have been great with that Berliner blend because the lacto definitely worked, but the sacc never came to life. All I had sitting around my house 5 days after pitching was some second generation brett custersianus. Welp.

It's not going to be to style, but I made enough of it that I was able to rack 4.5 gallons on papaya and 4.5 gallons on passionfruit. Here's to hoping!

hellfaucet fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Going for something like PtE here, any thoughts? I know Pliny is relatively clear, should I look at doing gelatin in addition to whirlfloc?

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.054
Efficiency: 60% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.073
Final Gravity: 1.017
ABV (standard): 7.38%
IBU (tinseth): 93.18
SRM (morey): 7.54

FERMENTABLES:
15 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (87%)
0.75 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 40L (4.3%)
0.5 lb - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (2.9%)
1 lb - Corn Sugar - Dextrose (5.8%)

HOPS:
2 oz - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: First Wort, IBU: 60.62
1 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 32.57
1 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 0 min
1 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 0 min
0.5 oz - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Dry Hop for 14 days
0.5 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Dry Hop for 14 days
0.5 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Dry Hop for 14 days
0.5 oz - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days
0.5 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days
0.5 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 152 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 25 qt, Water Temp: 166
2) Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Time: 15 min, Amount: 13 qt, Water Temp: 190
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.5 qt/lb

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 each - whirlfloc, Time: 10 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
White Labs - California Ale Yeast WLP001
Starter: Yes

NOTES:
2 L starter

Primary 7-10 days @ 66

Two dry hops in secondary, 14 days with .5 oz each: Columbus, Centennial, Simcoe. 7 days with .5 oz each: Columbus, Centennial, Simcoe

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I'd worry about clarity after getting the flavor right. That way you can max out the flavor and aroma for your hops without wondering if you're losing any to clarification.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Pliny homebrew clone recipe, provided by Vinny himself: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/6351/doubleIPA.pdf

You're definitely not that far off, except the real thing doesn't use Amarillo.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I think I remember reading that they started using Amarillo after that recipe was published.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

crazyfish posted:

Pliny homebrew clone recipe, provided by Vinny himself: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/6351/doubleIPA.pdf

You're definitely not that far off, except the real thing doesn't use Amarillo.

Well that's handy. Replace amarillo with an oz of simcoe, add a step to drop temp to 60 degrees in secondary, cold crash with 2 days to go?

It looks like the attenuation in that recipe is pretty high? Higher than the calculator I'm using thinks it will be, at least.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

internet celebrity posted:

I think I remember reading that they started using Amarillo after that recipe was published.

I don't remember seeing that anywhere, so do let me know if you find it. I do, however, think they use Amarillo in PTY, which is where the confusion may be coming in.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

crazyfish posted:

I don't remember seeing that anywhere, so do let me know if you find it. I do, however, think they use Amarillo in PTY, which is where the confusion may be coming in.

Here you go, it's on their website: http://russianriverbrewing.com/brews/pliny-the-elder/

The guy at Bertus Brewery says his clone is identical and according to him it's only used in the second round of dry hops.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
You should be using Amarillo in every pale ale you make, no exceptions :colbert:

Just placed a massive order with KegConnection. I got 5 free sanke kegs from local guys, and now I have all the hoses and regulators and whatnot. Only things left are CO2 tank (going to just buy one locally), chest freezer, and temp regulator.

Getting close :dance:

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Question for you guys who repitch: I know saving slurry from a high gravity beer is generally bad practice but what about top cropping? Batch OG was 1.094 and it has a nice dense krausen right now that I could skim and save for my next batch.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

internet celebrity posted:

Question for you guys who repitch: I know saving slurry from a high gravity beer is generally bad practice but what about top cropping? Batch OG was 1.094 and it has a nice dense krausen right now that I could skim and save for my next batch.

Top cropping is better then bottom cropping, in the book Yeast it says that there is breweries in Belgium and else where that only produce strong beers so they top crop it and reuse. :) It's recommended to not do it if you don't have to, but you can. I don't know how many of those that top crop acid wash the yeast though. But breweries do so I'd say go ahead and top crop! :)

Fluo fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 15, 2014

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Purely anecdotal but I made 10 gallons of golden strong and only had 2 vials of yeast. I pitched both vials into one Carboy and then 2 days later top cropped into the second Carboy of waiting wort. The second Carboy of top cropped yeast actually tasted way better (less boozy and not as many "stressed out yeast esters" than the first Carboy.

Don't be like me, but also yeah it can totally work.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

fullroundaction posted:

Purely anecdotal but I made 10 gallons of golden strong and only had 2 vials of yeast. I pitched both vials into one Carboy and then 2 days later top cropped into the second Carboy of waiting wort. The second Carboy of top cropped yeast actually tasted way better (less boozy and not as many "stressed out yeast esters" than the first Carboy.

Don't be like me, but also yeah it can totally work.

I can see that, health of the yeast is more important than cell count. The vials were probably not super super fresh and got dumped into a big wort, a couple generations later, you've got healthy yeast that's all about BGS wort.

Kelley Geuscaulk
Jun 5, 2009

Anyone have a good Dusseldrof Altbier recipe? The ones I found online didn't look appealing.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan
Marshmallow Blue, It Begins!

Is this stuff going to lighten up as it cools? Because I've only been cooking it for about 25 minutes now, and it's already about as dark as the 75 minute example on the color wheel you provided.

BLARGHLE fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 15, 2014

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
DIY stir plate update...

The rheostat came a day early so I tinkered with that last night, did some loose attaching of wires to see if it'd work with just the equipment I have. Everything went well, especially as I added on another pair of neodymium magnets to each end of the existing magnet to give it a little more pull. Had a steady, slow spin with a very small dimpled vortex, just what I'm going for. Just need to solder, mount the fan and rheostat to the box, and get something on there to make sure it can run for 48 hours at a time.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Kelley Geuscaulk posted:

Anyone have a good Dusseldrof Altbier recipe? The ones I found online didn't look appealing.
I've had great success with this recipe. I don't know how authentic it is but it's won me quite a few medals and always gets drank very quickly. This is for 10 gallons:

10lb German pilsner malt
5lbs Munich malt
4lb Vienna malt
2lb of a darker caramalt, I've had good luck with ones in the 60L range
3oz debittered carafa

Do a protein rest at around 129F for 20 min or so. I actually do a single decoction on my alts and kolsch but I hardly consider it necessary.

Bitter to around 35 BU with a 60 min addition of Spalt (~5-6oz), then another ounce at 10 min and a couple ounces or Hallertau at flameout.

I highly recommend Wyeast 1007/WLP036, I haven't found a dry substitute. Make sure you have a big healthy starter, oxygenate the poo poo out of your wort and cold pitch. I ferment for a couple weeks around 60F, with a warm up of a few degrees at the end, then lager for 3-4 weeks before drinking.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

BLARGHLE posted:

Marshmallow Blue, It Begins!

Is this stuff going to lighten up as it cools? Because I've only been cooking it for about 25 minutes now, and it's already about as dark as the 75 minute example on the color wheel you provided.

Nope, It will lighten up a tiny bit (a tiny bit) when it's the full volume in your carboy. Depending on how good your stove is, will determine how fast it gets darker. Enjoy the marshmallow smell in your house for the next couple days. I also think that color chart may have been from a larger batch (maybe 10-15 lbs of honey so his took longer).

How far up the pot did your honey foam go?

Kelley Geuscaulk
Jun 5, 2009

wattershed posted:

DIY stir plate update...

The rheostat came a day early so I tinkered with that last night, did some loose attaching of wires to see if it'd work with just the equipment I have. Everything went well, especially as I added on another pair of neodymium magnets to each end of the existing magnet to give it a little more pull. Had a steady, slow spin with a very small dimpled vortex, just what I'm going for. Just need to solder, mount the fan and rheostat to the box, and get something on there to make sure it can run for 48 hours at a time.

Nice work! Sounds like your experience went a little smoother than mine.

tonedef131 posted:

I've had great success with this recipe. I don't know how authentic it is but it's won me quite a few medals and always gets drank very quickly. This is for 10 gallons:

10lb German pilsner malt
5lbs Munich malt
4lb Vienna malt
2lb of a darker caramalt, I've had good luck with ones in the 60L range
3oz debittered carafa

Do a protein rest at around 129F for 20 min or so. I actually do a single decoction on my alts and kolsch but I hardly consider it necessary.

Bitter to around 35 BU with a 60 min addition of Spalt (~5-6oz), then another ounce at 10 min and a couple ounces or Hallertau at flameout.

I highly recommend Wyeast 1007/WLP036, I haven't found a dry substitute. Make sure you have a big healthy starter, oxygenate the poo poo out of your wort and cold pitch. I ferment for a couple weeks around 60F, with a warm up of a few degrees at the end, then lager for 3-4 weeks before drinking.

Thanks! The recipe I came up with was pretty similar but I think I'll try yours first. Have you done this recipe without the protein rest? I could do it, but it's a pain in the rear end. I was looking at that WLP036 but the attenuation seemed a little too low as I want something on the dryer side. Have you tried the WLP029 on this recipe? I made a kolsh last month and it took it down to 1.009 and it tastes great!

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Kelley Geuscaulk posted:

Thanks! The recipe I came up with was pretty similar but I think I'll try yours first. Have you done this recipe without the protein rest? I could do it, but it's a pain in the rear end. I was looking at that WLP036 but the attenuation seemed a little too low as I want something on the dryer side. Have you tried the WLP029 on this recipe? I made a kolsh last month and it took it down to 1.009 and it tastes great!
I think the protein rest is the key to the correct body, but if you aren't set up for it I'm sure it would still make a nice tasting beer.

I have not tried WLP029 but if you have a healthy pitch of it around you should give it a shot. I have always had 1007 finish at around 1.010-1.012 in this beer but I usually do a pretty low beta rest.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Nope, It will lighten up a tiny bit (a tiny bit) when it's the full volume in your carboy. Depending on how good your stove is, will determine how fast it gets darker. Enjoy the marshmallow smell in your house for the next couple days. I also think that color chart may have been from a larger batch (maybe 10-15 lbs of honey so his took longer).

How far up the pot did your honey foam go?

It went about halfway up the pot. I grabbed this lovely 80's beauty from my parents because it never gets used, and also because I thought the wider stance would help keep it from boiling over.

This was the point where I decided it was dark enough, and started adding the water. It looks darker in person than in the picture, and I think I may have overshot a bit- I was aiming for the 90 minute darkness, but it already seemed to be going past that by 40 minutes.

It kinda ended up the color of coffee once I put the quart of water into it to cool it down.

And here's how it looks in the jug! A little lighter after an additional half gallon of water.

In regards to smell, you may notice that there is a bit of honey on the rim of the pot in the second picture...I rested the spoon there to keep it from falling into the honey, and some dripped down the side, so now the house smells like burned sugar rather than marshmallows. Whoops!

It came out right around 1.1, and I tossed some champagne yeast that I had laying around into it, so I guess we'll see how these next three months treat it!

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Looks great! I melted a spoon into the first one I did because it was plastic and I'm an idiot. Luckily I pulled it out before it melted into multiple pieces, and switched to a metal spoon.

The coolest thing with these dark meads is that they look like they never clear. I've never had one pass a flashlight test in the carboy, but when I put them in bottles or hydrometer test tubes, they come out really clear and nice, and I'm just like oh when did that happen?

I've only got one bottle left of the one I made 15 Months ago. Don't know what I'm gonna do with it.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

:downs: For my last 16 or so brews I've been using hot/warm water with my starsan, found out from googling around it's better to use cold/roomtemp. Makes sense I guess because my hot water comes out slightly cloudy when my cold tap comes out clear as day.

I feel like an idiot.

9:30pm and start of the bottle day, hopefully can take 15gallons into bottles before it gets too late / I start falling asleep.

That mead looks amazing by the way, what were the ingredients?

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Fluo posted:

I feel like an idiot.

9:30pm and start of the bottle day, hopefully can take 15gallons into bottles before it gets too late / I start falling asleep.

That mead looks amazing by the way, what were the ingredients?

Honey water and yeast Unless he added some other stuff. Good luck with your bottling haha.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Honey water and yeast Unless he added some other stuff. Good luck with your bottling haha.

Awesome! Do you know the ratio per gallon or something? Just I finally found a place that sells honey in bulk which is in my country (I'm not importing 5kg of honey at postal rate double the honey costs :negative:). Just love to try my first mead. UK site is btw: http://www.paynesbeefarm.co.uk/honey-in-bulk/, is it best to have it clear or thick?

Oh and yeah bottling is going smooth sofar, think I am just gonna do 10gallons maybe have a quick nap and do another 10 (I got 30, it slowly mounted up on my since having a cold for a week or so and ending up not risking bottling it with a cold). :D

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
This has been plastered all over my facebook all afternoon:

http://www.therottenhop.com/headlin...fore-consuming/

I can't seem to find any reason to believe this is true. Any of you Florida goons have insight?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

fullroundaction posted:

I can't seem to find any reason to believe this is true. Any of you Florida goons have insight?

It looks like an Onion-style parody news site.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

crazyfish posted:

It looks like an Onion-style parody news site.

Indeed.

Another article headline: "BREAKING: “Big Beer” Gives Up on Craft Beer; Focuses on Time Machine and Cider Market"

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Yeah I feel stupid for not noticing all of those but there does seem to be some legitimacy to the part about breweries not being able to do retail sales on site other than growlers. I mean I think, I can't read all the legal words so I'm just taking people's words for it.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
"We caught up with a local homebrewer who has just recently heard of this proposed legislation and has skimmed some online articles and posted them to his facebook feed in protest."

Awesome.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So what are the chances that I kill my friends with oxyclean if I let my botttles soak in it overnight, rinsed them out with a swish, and then let the bottles sit in starsan for 20 minutes before bottling?

Also figured out that some craft breweries used some weird bottles that you can't recap.

These double lipped ones

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Harminoff posted:

So what are the chances that I kill my friends with oxyclean if I let my botttles soak in it overnight, rinsed them out with a swish, and then let the bottles sit in starsan for 20 minutes before bottling?

Also figured out that some craft breweries used some weird bottles that you can't recap.

These double lipped ones

They will be fine, provided you are using the unscented oxyclean.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
Just a cider update for everyone. I modified my standard recipe, and ended up with something truly amazing.

In a carboy, combine:
5 Gallons store bought apple juice (I used Great Value from Walmart)
1 quart of very very very dark brewed black tea
1/4 cup lime juice
1 packet Red Star Cote des Blancs yeast
2 tsp yeast nutrient
the TINIEST bit of olive oil you can add (I dipped the tip of a toothpick in the oil and dropped it in the carboy)

I let this sit and ferment for 4 weeks (basically once it is clarified fully then it is ready to transfer), then I stabilized with campden and potassium sorbate. I added this to a keg which I refrigerated at 32* F for two days (my fridge has no room for a carboy, so I essentially was cold-crashing in the keg). I then ran a half pint off the keg and threw it out, as it was mostly sediment.

Finally, I added 4 containers of frozen concentrated apple juice to sweeten, kegged it, and force carbonated it. Then I took some fresh strawberries, cut them up, cooked them in a cup of water and a half cup of white sugar. I strained off the pulp and seeds, and added the cooked down syrup to the cider.

Strawberry-apple cider that is so good you can't handle it. Oh man.

(Btw, the first couple pints of cider you pull off may have some strawberry pulp in it, but it doesn't make in nasty or anything, just a bit cloudy).

If you have a keg system and like cider, you have to make this.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

fullroundaction posted:

If this didn't reek of satire, then I would gladly drive down there to burn the capitol to the ground, and also buy a bunch of kegs from McEver...

gently caress it, let's do it anyway!
:ducksiren: Goonmeet??!?!?!?!? :ducksiren:

Harminoff posted:

These double lipped ones

I haven't killed anyone with oxyclean yet, and you should be fine to recap those bottles. I do have a gross of gold caps that don't cap right, but aside from those specific caps, I haven't had any problem with any kind of neck or lip or whatever.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Good luck with your bottling haha.

A night of bottling finished:

Going to do another 10gallons same time [looks at clock] tonight, then the last one on weekend, and the smoked coffee stout next week. Having to store some bottles in boxes to age longer to keep out of sight and out of mind.

Hard work pays off though right?!

BLARGHLE posted:

I haven't killed anyone with oxyclean yet, and you should be fine to recap those bottles. I do have a gross of gold caps that don't cap right, but aside from those specific caps, I haven't had any problem with any kind of neck or lip or whatever.

Yeah same, also never had problem with the double lipped bottles, however a friend of mine has but he has the butterfly type capper and not the standing type.

Linco
Apr 1, 2004
I have had chocolate nibs soaking in Vodka for a few days. I want to add them to a stout that is still in primary. Can I just dump them into the primary or would I be better off doing a secondary?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Linco posted:

I have had chocolate nibs soaking in Vodka for a few days. I want to add them to a stout that is still in primary. Can I just dump them into the primary or would I be better off doing a secondary?

Cacao nibs are something that I would actually rack to secondary for. All the yeast and trub in primary would limit the amount of contact with the wort.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

RagingBoner posted:

If you have a keg system and like cider, you have to make this.

How much strawberries? Because I don't already have enough cider, drat it.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Marshmallow Blue:

Thoughts on raw honey? I've got a local supplied that is doing $4 a pound, various varieties up to 55 pounds. Do I need to do anything special to it over the heated honey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Virigoth posted:

Marshmallow Blue:

Thoughts on raw honey? I've got a local supplied that is doing $4 a pound, various varieties up to 55 pounds. Do I need to do anything special to it over the heated honey?

Not on the inset, you'll notice it'll have some waxy bits in some of them but it all goes into the mead just fine. However the batch probably won't clear without using some clearing agent of one kind or another. I used MVA bee punchers in MA where 1/2 of one of the jars was really waxy honey. After 6 months or so it still wasn't clear. I saw that a commercial meadery in Salem uses the same honey, so I emailed the guy and he actually got back to me and said to use bentonite (clay based clearing agent). it worked like a charm and I was on my way.

Clear as day and tasty too. Tons of flavor and awesome body. EDIT: for 4$ a pound for really good honey, I'd be on that. I think I paid 7$ a pound (with Free shipping for my stuff)

Marshmallow Blue fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 16, 2014