Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

McSpanky posted:

F'realz though, Wolverine being on that list is super loving stupid.

He didn't ask for people who would suffer no ill effects. He said live.

Jamie Madrox on a technicality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Shitshow posted:

So, I might be marked as a heretic for saying this, but after reading the first two volumes of Sandman for the first time, I'm feeling like this series is just the most over-rated tripe. I mean, it's okay, but so far does not live up to the hype. Does it get better?

One thing to know about Sandman is that even Caiman admitted that the first few issues he was trying to find his feet and try give the book a distinctive voice. I think he said it wasn't until until issue 8 or so that he hit his stride. Like others have said try dream country although I would really recommend seasons of mist (volume 4) and if you don't get into that one then yea, you probably won't get into the rest of the books.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
That's almost half the series to buy at that point. I think he hit his voice with the Death issue in the first TPB and while the plot doesn't really kick off until the second half, if you're not charmed by that issue, you probably will lose your patience long before then.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Cannonball is often phrased as "nearly invulnerable" or "practically invulnerable" when he's "blastin'". Source.

A nuke seems like it would be out of his ballpark, but given he beat up Gladiator once, it really depends on the writer.

In Claremont hillbilly speak it's usually phrased as "Ah'm nigh invulnerable when ah'm blastin'!"

http://goodcomics.comicbookresource...-he-is-blastin/

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

irlZaphod posted:

Not sure about this, do you have a source?

Don't worry, I got it.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Is there a character responsible for making superhero costumes? I know a lot of characters make their own or whatever, but I'm picturing something like a "cosmic tailor" and I'm wondering if such a character already exists.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Edna Mode?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Didn't The Wasp make costumes? Professor X provided two of the X-Statix's (not sure about X-Men as well.)

Of course there's that character in The Incredibles.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 16, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something Else posted:

Is there a character responsible for making superhero costumes? I know a lot of characters make their own or whatever, but I'm picturing something like a "cosmic tailor" and I'm wondering if such a character already exists.

There was a guy in Invincible who made pretty much every hero costume.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Something Else posted:

Not quite the same thing, but there was one guy from JMS Spider-Man who fixed superhero costumes. There's one panel where Doom shows up at his shop to get his cape fixed, and at the end he passes Peter the design for a "Spider-Man of the future" outfit which sees use in (I think) the "Happy Birthday" story.

Various issues of Fantastic Four explain that Reed licences unstable molecules to other teams to make costumes and Giant-Size X-Men #1, Professor X says he made the all-new, all-different team's uniforms with them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There was a costume shop frequented by Erik Masterson during his time as Thor and Thunderstrike, I believe Defalco used it in other books he wrote as well.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

SiKboy posted:

In the interests of pedantry; Its possible it was billy batson that was killed by the nuke rather than captain marvel, because he detonates the bomb (which is a futuristic supernuke rather than a conventional nuke) by shouting Shazam.

Marvels Wonder Man would survive a nuke, worst case scenario he is atomised and has to reconstitute himself from ionic energy.

It is definitely Billy. Marvel chants "Shazam!" and odd number of times--I want to say five, but I'm not looking at the book at the moment--to use his lightning to strike the bomb.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Wouldn't Canonball survive a nuke because he's an Eternal?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SirDan3k posted:

Wouldn't Canonball survive a nuke because he's an Eternal?

Canonball is a loving Eternal now?

Also, I havene't read it since I was a teenager, but in The Venom Factor Spider-Man either survives a nuclear plast, or (and this is more likely) the bomb that's supposed to trigger the nuclear explosion, but it had been partially disabled.

Aside from that bit of ridiculousness, I liked the book. But I refuse to revisit it, for fear of it being terrible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Cannonball was revealed to be an Eternal/External way back in early X-Force. It was later proven to be false though.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Something Else posted:

Over at DC, Paul Gambi was the tailor who made all the costumes for Flash's Rogues.

EDIT: This may have been retconned in the New 52 to make Gambi a guy who stitches together costumes out of human skin.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

McSpanky posted:

F'realz though, Wolverine being on that list is super loving stupid.

It was Daniel Way and it was probably his worst comic.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

It was Daniel Way and it was probably his worst comic.

He also survived a nuke during a World War 2 mini.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Not quite the same thing, but there was one guy from JMS Spider-Man who fixed superhero costumes. There's one panel where Doom shows up at his shop to get his cape fixed, and at the end he passes Peter the design for a "Spider-Man of the future" outfit which sees use in (I think) the "Happy Birthday" story.

Various issues of Fantastic Four explain that Reed licences unstable molecules to other teams to make costumes and Giant-Size X-Men #1, Professor X says he made the all-new, all-different team's uniforms with them.

The guy from Spider-Man also did villain costumes. Heroes and villains were assigned different business days. Kinda silly, but I liked if. Also silly that he's in the one book where it's often shown that the hero makes his own costumes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

He also survived a nuke during a World War 2 mini.

And in the latest movie, though in the movie he was in a hole and protected from the direct blast.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Something Else posted:

Gladiator (the Melvin Potter one not the Shiar one) runs a costume shop in New York and repairs costumes for heroes/provides them with fresh ones when they need them. Bendis littered a lot of characters who helped out heroes in that respect throughout his various street level hero runs.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

EDIT: This may have been retconned in the New 52 to make Gambi a guy who stitches together costumes out of human skin.

I would be sad if this was true.

Not surprised. Just sad.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Lurdiak posted:

Don't worry, I got it.
Thanks Lurdiak. :)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Metal Loaf posted:

In an issue of X-Force immediately following X-Cutioner's Song, the team uses a Shi'ar machine in the basement of the Xavier School to make new costumes. So now they just use space tech, I guess.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Waterhaul posted:

Gladiator (the Melvin Potter one not the Shiar one) runs a costume shop in New York and repairs costumes for heroes/provides them with fresh ones when they need them. Bendis littered a lot of characters who helped out heroes in that respect throughout his various street level hero runs.

I'm such a sucker for reformed-villain characters. :allears:

Endless Mike posted:

In an issue of X-Force immediately following X-Cutioner's Song, the team uses a Shi'ar machine in the basement of the Xavier School to make new costumes. So now they just use space tech, I guess.

There have been other space costume machines, too.

prefect fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 16, 2014

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
So, do you think Hulk just didn't use the machine or was like, "Okay machine, make like normal person shaped purple pants, but then stretch them out and rip them at the shins. Thanks?"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Secret Wars was specifically made so that Mattel could have new costumes to put action figures in which is why Doom gets a new costume and Spiderman and loving Charles Xavier as well. Doom's new costume was specifically because toy making company executives said old Doom looked too medieval to market to children. It's funny to me that the huge amount of Spidey canon involving symbiotes all came because they wanted a black costume for an action figure.

Jim Shooter posted:

We went through a number of ideas for names for the toy line and series. Mattel’s focus group tests indicated that kids reacted positively to the words “wars” and “secret.” Okay. / Mattel had a number of other requirements. Doctor Doom, they said, looked too medieval. His armor would have to be made more high-tech. So would Iron Man’s, because their focus groups indicated that kids reacted positively...etc. Okay. / They also said there had to be new fortresses, vehicles and weapons because they wanted playsets, higher price point merchandise and additional play value. Okay. / When time came to actually do it, I realized that only I could write it.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
10-year old me wrote an angry letter to Amazing Spider-Man right around the time they introduced Venom, demanding an explanation for the fact that Venom doesn't trigger Spidey's spider-sense. Peter had some dialogue or thought balloon about how the symbiote never triggered his spider-sense, so that's why Venom didn't. I remember transcribing the dialogue from Secret Wars #8, and feeling like I'd won some huge victory when I mailed it off. They never printed the letter or addressed the issue for as long as I followed Spider-Man comics.

Did they ever retcon an explanation of this?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's because it was mentally linked to him and shares his DNA.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yeah, in the very next page or two after the one prefect posted, it stops setting off his spider-sense as it adapts to his biology. There was never anything to retcon.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

zoux posted:

Secret Wars was specifically made so that Mattel could have new costumes to put action figures in which is why Doom gets a new costume and Spiderman and loving Charles Xavier as well. Doom's new costume was specifically because toy making company executives said old Doom looked too medieval to market to children. It's funny to me that the huge amount of Spidey canon involving symbiotes all came because they wanted a black costume for an action figure.

Umm, Xavier never got a toy.

Series 1 was: Cap, Spidey, Doom, Magneto, Iron Man, Wolverine, Kang, and Doc Ock.

Series 2 had: Black costume Spidey, Falcon, Baron Zemo, Daredevil, and Hobgoblin. Only Spidey showed up in the actual book.

No Ultron, no Hulk, Thor, or giant sized Galactus.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well Xavier had a new goofy costume in Secret Wars anyway, iirc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SiKboy posted:

In the interests of pedantry; Its possible it was billy batson that was killed by the nuke rather than captain marvel, because he detonates the bomb (which is a futuristic supernuke rather than a conventional nuke) by shouting Shazam.

Marvels Wonder Man would survive a nuke, worst case scenario he is atomised and has to reconstitute himself from ionic energy.

To add to this, Captain Marvel canonically has survived nukes before. Back in the Fawcett era in fact there was a story where Captain Marvel was literally the only being on Earth to survive a nuclear world war and was forced to watch in horror as people died of radiation sickness and nuclear blasts around him.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 16, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The other Captain Marvel could survive one as Binary, I would assume.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Aphrodite posted:

The other other Captain Marvel could survive one by turning into neutrinos or something.

The other other other Captain Marvel could survive by slamming the Nega-Bands together and switching places with Rick Jones.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How different are Red Hulk and normal Hulk's powersets?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Aphrodite posted:

She took a nuke to the face in Mighty Avengers even when just plain ol' Ms. Marvel.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

How different are Red Hulk and normal Hulk's powersets?

They're very similar, but Red Hulk has energy-absorption/detection/emission powers that complement his regular Hulkness. Green is overall stronger, though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also doesn't Red Hulk keep his intelligence/personality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Also doesn't Red Hulk keep his intelligence/personality?

Yeah. There's probably a slight shift in aggressiveness and confidence, but it's as mild as She-Hulk's personality change.