Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Rascyc posted:

When does this choice come up?

Just before Bardiel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

When does this choice come up?

At the end of Stage 46 (Chance of Success is 0.0001%! The "orbital drop Angel" Eva episode.)

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Thanks, gonna have to put up with Mari then, choosing all space routes this play through cause Unicorn Gundam :colbert:

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

TARDISman posted:

Man, Kamille and his dad are going to kick rear end at the father/son picnic.

Oh, wait...

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So, seeing as I just finished Big O, can someone explain to me what they do to it in this game? I heard it kinda gives it an ending and I'm rather curious.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheManSeries posted:

So, seeing as I just finished Big O, can someone explain to me what they do to it in this game? I heard it kinda gives it an ending and I'm rather curious.

They give it the canonical ending where you talk Big Venus down from resetting things, but mixed with the original plot. A lot of what Big O does in SRWZ is pretty much entirely original.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

They give it the canonical ending where you talk Big Venus down from resetting things, but mixed with the original plot. A lot of what Big O does in SRWZ is pretty much entirely original.

Was that just original Z? I read there was something else that happened in Z3, and due to being in week two of learning Japanese, I can understand a thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheManSeries posted:

Was that just original Z? I read there was something else that happened in Z3, and due to being in week two of learning Japanese, I can understand a thing.

Ah, no, I was talking about Z3. In Z1 due to the meta-plot stuff, Paradigm City is like this weird dimensional sidehole and pretty much all the plot ties into that.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

TheManSeries posted:

Based on what I saw, Big O in Z3 is supposed to represent what happens when you end up Time Prison'd or along those lines.

Note that my Japanese isn't so hot so I might have misinterpreted things rather badly.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

SRWZ3-1 sold 270K across both versions in its first week in Japan (Breakdown is 142K for PS3 and 128K for Vita).

For comparison SRWZ2-1 sold 307K in its first week and SRWZ2-2 sold 265K in its first week.

None of these numbers take digital sales into account.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 16, 2014

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

While that's pretty good it is a bit worrying to see it do worse or not much better than Z2. How did OGs2nd do?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
218k on its opening week. OG games tend to underperform in comparison to the usual titles, but it ended up at like 270k'ish in the end. Presumably they probably net more profit due to licensing and thus why they keep making them, although I've never read actual licensing costs in what few reports I've read when I was interested in this stuff.

In general for the few games Japanese companies have reported on their actual sales reports, digital sales are usually tiny and tend to be in the tens of thousands order of magnitude (no surprise there).

It's probably a little demoralizing to look at PS2 sales and trying to figure out where to go with their series after landing on the Vita with Z2.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
With the aid of some Japanese wikis, I've got a mostly complete list of Pilots and Spirits on my spreadsheet. I've also added more Japanese; hopefully that will make it easier for some people. If you see any problems, feel free to leave a comment on the spreadsheet.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I assume its just because the Z2s are on the PSP, and everyone and their dog has a PSP over there. I mean, there's gotta be a reason that it feels like every Japanese game jumped off its platform and onto the PSP for a while back then.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Three Z3 new themes here:

Destroy ModeUnicorn Gundam Theme

Advent's theme

Gadlight's(sp?) theme

Both original themes were supplied by ImpAtom. :hfive:

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010
Wow, that version of RX-0 sounds absolutely fantastic. I've been impressed by all of the Unicorn themes that made it in.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Brunom1 posted:

:allears: I honestly expected this and Unicorn to be swapped, since Unicorn's usually associated with Destroy Mode.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I put that theme onto all of the Zeta Gundam suits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8O-Zv1GyqY

It works wonderfully well for the Zeta Gundam.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

RX-0 is fantastic and they really hit it out of the park with that track.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Speaking of Gundam, them always rampaging right to the Nu Gundam in SRW is annoying. Amuro's had it for the entire series so far but only just meets Chen in this game for some reason.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Speaking of Gundam, them always rampaging right to the Nu Gundam in SRW is annoying. Amuro's had it for the entire series so far but only just meets Chen in this game for some reason.

To be fair, Amuro's other notable suits are the RX-78, which is beyond outdated by this point, and the Dijeh, which is a pretty boring suit. That being said, I'm really hoping they revisit the original series again for the next multi game series. The Origin's being released soon and it'd be a lot of fun to see it, Shin Mazinger and New Getter Robo hang out.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

TARDISman posted:

To be fair, Amuro's other notable suits are the RX-78, which is beyond outdated by this point, and the Dijeh, which is a pretty boring suit. That being said, I'm really hoping they revisit the original series again for the next multi game series. The Origin's being released soon and it'd be a lot of fun to see it, Shin Mazinger and New Getter Robo hang out.

I'd like to see them do a game with the One Year War and not have the White Base show up until it is 75% done just so they can make the RX-78 really overpowered.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
They should have given Amuro his Zeta III so even more of your UC pilots could be rocking Zetas.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

BlitzBlast posted:

They should have given Amuro his Zeta III so even more of your UC pilots could be rocking Zetas.

They really should have if only because the first half of the game suffers from a horrific drought of non-poo poo mobile suits to spread among your pilots. The Delta Plus is really good and the ReGZ is competent enough in a support role but the ReZELs are the best of what you've got left and man they're not very good.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 16, 2014

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Kanos posted:

They really should have if only because the first half of the game suffers from a horrific drought of non-poo poo mobile suits to spread among your pilots. The Delta Plus is really good and the ReGZ is competent enough in a support role but the ReZELs are the best of what you've got left and man they're not very good.

Well you get the Destiny (without it's best attack or Shinn's SEED mode) and a gimped Unicorn pretty early too!

... Yeah, the Gundam route is probably the hardest of the three earlygame route splits.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Pureauthor posted:

Well you get the Destiny (without it's best attack or Shinn's SEED mode) and a gimped Unicorn pretty early too!

... Yeah, the Gundam route is probably the hardest of the three earlygame route splits.

The AU Gundam series don't have any issues since they're pretty much uniformly good, it's the big pile of UC pilots you get with only scraps to spread amongst them.

Even gimped Destiny is still an incredibly good robot.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Brunom1 posted:

Advent's theme

Gadlight's(sp?) theme

Both original themes were supplied by ImpAtom. :hfive:

My goodness, that RX-0 is just excellent. I'm not certain I'd even try to use a custom soundtrack over that. They really nailed it.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Pureauthor posted:

Well you get the Destiny (without [...] Shinn's SEED mode)

Haha, what? Do they give any justification for that or does he just not have it when you get him and they act like he's getting it for the first time later?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The thing about Unicorn is that Banagher isn't a particularly amazing pilot and his newtype potential is equal to that of Katz, which is hilarious.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Son Ryo posted:

Haha, what? Do they give any justification for that or does he just not have it when you get him and they act like he's getting it for the first time later?

I wasn't paying much attention but I think they just handwaved it with Shinn not being able to concetrate or something.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It's Shinn so I assume he just shouted himself dizzy and forgot how to do it.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

The thing about Unicorn is that Banagher isn't a particularly amazing pilot and his newtype potential is equal to that of Katz, which is hilarious.

What makes you say that? Banagher does some pretty crazy newtype stuff in the OAVs.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Pureauthor posted:

I wasn't paying much attention but I think they just handwaved it with Shinn not being able to concetrate or something.

Dude's just being nice and waiting for Kamille to get his Biosensor running at full again.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah I use the instrumental version of RX-0 pretty much everywhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W24AGvOrAH0 (apparently this track has been pulled down all over youtube, too bad!)

I like it a little better than the synth'ed version. I tried my hand at hand chopping the original versions of mobile suit but it didn't work out so well, haha.

Kanos posted:

The AU Gundam series don't have any issues since they're pretty much uniformly good, it's the big pile of UC pilots you get with only scraps to spread amongst them.

Even gimped Destiny is still an incredibly good robot.
I just benched Katz and Fa as usual. I threw Emma into the ReGZ and had Amuro bro it up in the MKII just for nostalgia reasons. Man the MKII is not that good either though, but at least it has an ALL attack. I don't like the ReZels at all and gently caress Riddhe for life he can sit on the bench too.

I still don't have Nu, I'm in that weird place with Amuro where I don't know how they did the Nu Gundam attacks this game so I don't know if I should spend his pilot points on hit and away as usual. It mostly depends if his close range animations suck for me, if they do I'll just have him spam fin funnels. If they don't, then I'll do something else with him so I have an excuse to use those attacks.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 16, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Shinn is feeling distinctly unmotivated, depressing and without focus since everyone he knows is missing and his peace has been ripped away from him. He gets his groove back when he returns to Orb and defends it against enemy attacks.

Rascyc posted:

Yeah I use the instrumental version of RX-0 pretty much everywhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W24AGvOrAH0 (apparently this track has been pulled down all over youtube, too bad!)

I like it a little better than the synth'ed version. I tried my hand at hand chopping the original versions of mobile suit but it didn't work out so well, haha.

I just benched Katz and Fa as usual. I threw Emma into the ReGZ and had Amuro bro it up in the MKII just for nostalgia reasons. Man the MKII is not that good either though, but at least it has an ALL attack. I don't like the ReZels at all and gently caress Riddhe for life he can sit on the bench too.

I still don't have Nu, I'm in that weird place with Amuro where I don't know how they did the Nu Gundam attacks this game so I don't know if I should spend his pilot points on hit and away as usual. It mostly depends if his close range animations suck for me, if they do I'll just have him spam fin funnels. If they don't, then I'll do something else with him so I have an excuse to use those attacks.

Give Amuro the Delta Plus. The Delta Plus is loving amazing.

As far as the Nu goes: Amuro's ace bonus and the Nu's HUB are both Newtype Funnel-focused but its strongest attack is a melee attack.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah I'm upgrading the poo poo out of the Delta plus, that thing seriously is great. I am using Kamille in it at the moment.

I honestly don't put as much thought into my SRW anymore. I think once you know all the tricks of the game by reflex you can do almost anything provided you upgrade (I stop at 50% just to spread bonuses for now) so I just prioritize what voice acting I want to hear and animations I want to see on repeat. I haven't even come close to missing an SR point although I did lose like 10 mechs to the sixth angel, heh.

Honestly I've been at a complete loss for how to spend my PP too this time around. Usually I buy morale+1 on kill for everyone in all my previous SRW games but decided to just skip it this time. Now I'm just putting ignore size-1/2 on most support pilots (the support attack does not appear to work on assist attacks), covering attacks/defenses on others, and then planning on grabbing morale 170 later in the game. I tried sword cut on one pilot and immediately realized it's pretty much as junky as I imagined.

I guess I could level stats.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 16, 2014

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Rascyc posted:

I guess I could level stats.

Don't forget terrain affinities, those are a pretty good default point dump.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, PP is a bit too plentiful this game without much to spend it on if you're actually upgrading units. It's a bit more viable for a no-upgrade run but there's no standout like SP Regen/Continuous Movement.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I need to go back and look at OGs2nd or Z2.2 but it also feels like I have an extra skill slot to mess with too, it just seems like I have a lot of room for choices but not too much to choose from.

Maybe that's an okay thing though and it's finally time to start buying stuff I never bought before like counter and multi-target. I also completely forgot about E-Save but I've been grabbing that too.

vibratingsheep posted:

Don't forget terrain affinities, those are a pretty good default point dump.
These are just tied to evasion IIRC. I haven't touched a terrain upgrade since like SRW-A. Honestly despite the SP system nerfs it's still a very abusable system, especially for pilots who have the seishins that double up on the squad (why do these exist?) so avoiding damage is still trivial.

That guard seishin getting a nerf was kinda pointless too, I think. It should probably be like 1/2 for it to actually make a dent and flash should probably just go away if they were serious about it. I hope they never do it personally though.

vvv oh that's a really good point ... and exactly what I do with half of them come to think of it, hahaha

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

These are just tied to evasion IIRC. I haven't touched a terrain upgrade since like SRW-A. Honestly despite the SP system nerfs it's still a very abusable system, especially for pilots who have the seishins that double up on the squad (why do these exist?) so avoiding damage is still trivial.

The double-up spells exist to justify using protagonist as squad filler. Pretty much every protagonist has one which makes them viable as a backseat driver. Kouji has Iron Wall +, Trider can heal both members of the squad, most Real pilots has Focus or Invincible plus and so-on. It basically makes them more viable as backseat drivers compared to the dedicated support characters who have more supporty spells. It also makes it easier for them to keep them support characters alive.

Like, it's a lot more viable to pair Wing Zero and 00 Rasier together because Heero's Focus + and MAP attack are better backseat material while Setsuna's Morale + and Move Again and ALL attack make him a better frontseat driver.

• Locked thread