Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
I thought Glee already did a Very Special Sex Episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well this one didn't have Holly Holiday in it. :xd:

We're now three for three with damned quality episodes. New York Glee is something else, and yes it certainly hurts me to say that after the New York Glee we used to have.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
I went searching the internet for wallpapers featuring Blaine and instead somehow ended up with this:

I miss all the newbies except Ryder :smith:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

foolish_fool posted:

I miss all the newbies except Ryder :smith:

I'd rather have Ryder than Jake

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I liked Kitty, but all the other newbies were pretty forgetful and meh.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Has there ever been an episode with so little Rachel?

Also, seriously, I love musicals so I'm not that into realism, but I can't force myself to believe for one second that anyone would put up with Mercedes' poo poo.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 17, 2014

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I think there's been at least two episodes where Rachel just flat-out didn't appear. Anyway, the no sex before marriage thing? I get the impression lots of people put up with that.

I think the best part of the episode was when Sam, Mercedes, and Artie started singing in the middle of the street and Artie's date just kinda shuffled there awkwardly, wondering what the gently caress.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

I think the best part of the episode was when Sam, Mercedes, and Artie started singing in the middle of the street and Artie's date just kinda shuffled there awkwardly, wondering what the gently caress.
Absolutely, this was the best thing.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I shouldn't have laughed at Sam freaking out at Artie testing positive, but god help me I did. I totally did.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I shouldn't have laughed at Sam freaking out at Artie testing positive, but god help me I did. I totally did.

Sam is the best character.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Error 404 posted:

Sam is the best character.

"SHAME ARTIE! I'M SHAMING YOU!" Sam was gold the entire episode.

Also yeah, I try not to disrespect people's beliefs but the one thing I will never ever understand is the "no sex before marriage" thing if you really really love someone. I did think it was...strangely cool how they did the opposite end of the spectrum with Artie, though. Happy middle, people.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Pretty much everyone who isn't Rachel or Mercedes owns in NYGlee.

Edit: and normally Kurt annoys me, but even he's been cool lately.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I think Glee does a lot to try and be progressive about sexuality and sexual expression, but there's always gonna be that tiny slice of it that resembles middle-aged parents wagging their fingers at the youngins about such things. For all that it's not shy about flaunting the nubile bodies of its nubile cast in nubile ways, it's also always had this glorified view of virginity and has tended to be biased towards prudishness instead of...uh, sluttiness.

Of course, the last time we had the "waiting for marriage" topic on this show was with Teen Jesus and his bone stone, and I think we can all agree that this was profoundly preferable to that.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

I think Glee does a lot to try and be progressive about sexuality and sexual expression, but there's always gonna be that tiny slice of it that resembles middle-aged parents wagging their fingers at the youngins about such things. For all that it's not shy about flaunting the nubile bodies of its nubile cast in nubile ways, it's also always had this glorified view of virginity and has tended to be biased towards prudishness instead of...uh, sluttiness.

Of course, the last time we had the "waiting for marriage" topic on this show was with Teen Jesus and his bone stone, and I think we can all agree that this was profoundly preferable to that.

Well, in a sense it could also be just a realistic portrayal of the viewpoints some have. Mercedes has been thoroughly established as devoutly Christian - the environment she's been raised in would absolutely have preached the 'no sex before marriage' thing. While the show seems to side with her, the viewer can pretty much make up their own mind to respect her choice or think she's just trying to justify the views she was indoctrinated with.

I mean, it's hard to say the show is actually preaching it given the total lack of judgement on characters who have had sex before marriage, but like you said - 'tiny slice'.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Oh it's not specifically the "no sex until marriage" thing, which certainly fits with Mercedes and I thought was finely-written and enjoyable anyway. It's that, taken on a grand aggregate, Glee's inclination is to depict sex in and of itself as problematic and messy...whereas abstaining from sex -- or displaying any other generally conservative attitudes towards sex -- tends to be depicted as rewarding and "correct" on this show.

Season 1 obviously had the pregnancy storyline which is a time-honored (and accurate) scare tactic against teen sexuality. But even regardless of that, remember the Madonna tribute episode where Finn, Rachel, and Emma contemplated losing their virginities? Only Finn ended up actually having sex while Rachel and Emma decided to wait, and Finn seemed to end up regretting that he did the deed while Rachel and Emma were portrayed to be making smart choices by waiting.

Season 2 followed that trend with the sex education episode with Gwyneth Paltrow, which was pretty good about paying lip service to young sexuality, sure, but still had a lot of ironically pro-abstinence messages. Burt's sex talk with Kurt, as heartwarming and poetic as it was, was basically one big lecture against recreational sex. Meanwhile, half the Glee club ended up in the abstinence club by the episode's end, for one reason or another.

In season 3, the most vile and ruthless antagonist they could conceive of to go against Kurt and Blaine was Sebastian the super slutty gay bar superstar, intentionally contrasted against Kurt and Blaine's more "wholesome" lifestyle.

Season 4 made a big fuss about Rachel daring to dare to go topless for a student film, with Kurt outright calling her "slutty Barbie" at one point. Then it had that whole thing with Brody being a hooker which was apparently just super bad and mean of him and worse than being a drug dealer or something.

And now season 5 gives us a whole episode about Artie getting STDs from sleeping around, while Mercedes is vindicated for her desire to wait.

Again, it's not that I mind Glee doing this, and it's not as if I don't agree with many of these messages anyway, and it's also not that there are never any positive or rewarding depictions of sex on the show at all. It's just interesting to note, from a partial stance, that Glee on a whole isn't really partial about the issue. Sex, in Glee's worldview, should only be done with the utmost care and precision and most definitely with lots of feelings involved, and there's no greater sin than to treat sex casually or as something you just do for fun. And so it's hard to shake the image of Ryan Murphy and the Murphettes being stern parental figures sternly-speechifying at Glee's mostly-young audience whenever they tackle this sort of thing, and I wouldn't bet on their approach radically changing any time soon.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Counterpoint: Santana and Brittany, Santana and Quinn, Santana and lots of people

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sub Rosa posted:

Counterpoint: Santana and Brittany, Santana and Quinn, Santana and lots of people

Explanation: Even Glee recognises that Naya Rivera is too hot for their normal rules to apply

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
I was going to try and write a point/counterpoint between Mercedes and Quinn as the two devoutly Christian characters on the show and their approaches to sex, but Quinn is such a loving trainwreck, you guys. She's like a connect-the-dots where there should be about 50 dots but you're only given, like, ten on the paper, so you have to draw in the other 40 dots before you can actually try to connect them. And then you have about a 5% chance of drawing anything resembling a coherent picture.

I actually had a conversation last weekend with a girl who watches Glee. She thinks Ryan Murphy is a borderline genius and the show's approach to character development is brilliant. Her favorite characters are Blaine and Kurt and Tina, of all people.

And then I started to say, "But Quinn..." and she went, "Oh, no, Quinn is awful. She had like ten personalities at least. I'll give you Quinn."

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

This is literally blowing my mind :psyduck:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Santana? Is, like, one of the show's main arguments against sex as an entertaining, casual lifestyle. She used to have sex with lots of people with a strict policy that it's just meaningless, body-warming, recreational pleasure for her, but then had to realize over time that sex with feelings is so much more rewarding and hasn't slept around since then. Which doesn't stop Glee from flaunting Naya Rivera's :v:appeal:v:, but is pretty in line with its general message of "Hey hey look at our hot cast!...but seriously kids, don't do the thing."

I think one good example of the rare times that sex was treated positively and encouragingly on the show was during Schuester's wedding where everyone hosed everyone else and it was just treated as something fun and healthy and not the biggest deal in the world.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
Speaking of sex, apparently Naya Rivera and Big Sean are no longer engaged/together at all because she found out he was hooking up with one of her cast mates. I'd link to an article, but I'm not sure if the OP minds.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Coconut Indian posted:

Speaking of sex, apparently Naya Rivera and Big Sean are no longer engaged/together at all because she found out he was hooking up with one of her cast mates. I'd link to an article, but I'm not sure if the OP minds.

I'm gonna speculate Bree based on how quickly she vanished.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

This week's songs are up! Pretty much a giant Rachel hoe-down if that's what you're into.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BrianWilly posted:

This week's songs are up! Pretty much a giant Rachel hoe-down if that's what you're into.

This is the week you always wanted, the truth!

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
Everything was VERY HAPPY in this episode. Rachel was a smashing success! Everyone loves Mr Schue! There was a baby born! Sue found love! Santana and Tina returned to cheer on their friend!

But the best surprise -- KAROFFSKY RETURNED, beret and jacket. I was really happy to see that they brought back some of our old favorites for Rachel's BIG SCARY NIGHTMARE™.

Overall? Yawn of an episode.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

We would lose nothing if we never see Sue ever again. Absolutely nothing.

I will say that it was a great episode for background moments, especially in the loft and in the gay bar.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

The dress Santana was wearing in the gay bar, daaamn girl! Almost enough to make me go straight.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS

BrianWilly posted:

I will say that it was a great episode for background moments, especially in the loft and in the gay bar.

I did quite enjoy the background faces in the scene where Rachel yells at Sue. Blaine comes out of the bathroom and is like "wtf, what is going on?" trying to piece the scene together.

I'm trying to figure out where they're going to go from here because this episode was Rachel making all of her dreams come true and could have worked as another season/series finale, like when the original group graduated.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Honestly, I liked this episode, but Sue's plot weirded me out. Were they expecting us to enjoy her finding joy and happiness in an episode where she was at her most rude and nasty? Rachel was right, and her one-night-stand was an idiot.

Can't hate him though, because Chris Parnell rules.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

That was a good episode even though they ruined a song that was mentioned at least three times as being completely amazing and important by making it a Sue duet. I also fast forwarded through the Will and Sue song, which I assume was completely awful.

Read some spoilers/episode summaries for the remaining three episodes and this show is going to get extra stupid, but it's been doing that for years so whatever. At least Lea Michele gets to sing. Her album has grown on me a bit. The songs are perfectly within her range.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Hella rumors abounds that Naya Rivera was fired from Glee and, as a result, Santana got cut from this season's finale.

Sorry about your girl, Rarity~

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah there's been some weird shite going on with her for the recent filming, and as much as I hate to feed the rumor mill, all the usual reliable spoil sources are agreeing that unless something drastic changes within the next week, she won't be in the finale at all.

Feel bad about it as you enjoy this week's songs.
Doo Wop (That Thing) -Mercedes and Santana
Piece of My Heart -Blaine and Shirley MacLaine
Story of My Life -Kurt and Blaine (link on the page didn't work so this is another link)
The Rose -Rachel
Wake Me Up -Rachel

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Did she go Lima Heights Adjacent on someone?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There was some hearsay that she delayed a whole day of filming earlier this month because she didn't want to deal with paparazzi on set after her breakup with Big Sean, according to fans who were actually on set that day. A week or two later she supposedly -- again I stress, supposedly -- got into some sort of fight with Lea, after which she was evidently written out of the remaining episodes.

(That second part about some kind of diva smackdown on set sounds to me like gossip rags projecting the storylines of the show onto the actors, which is like the fifth or sixth time it's happened -- Remember when Naya was supposedly dating Mark Salling? -- but there was absolutely something sketchy happening during filming in these last couple episodes.)

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Yeah, the only thing that's been confirmed in multiple places is that she's definitely not in the season finale when she was apparently supposed to be. Everything else is gossip mill, mostly related to Lea (up to and including that Big Sean cheated on her with Lea).

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I'm so happy! I was so afraid she and Brit would come back to the show and I'd be compelled to watch again. I'm free! I haven't been watching! It's great!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Well, uh, Brittany's still back for the season finale :sweatdrop:. Heather's already filmed her scenes.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

courtney_beth posted:

But the best surprise -- KAROFFSKY RETURNED, beret and jacket. I was really happy to see that they brought back some of our old favorites for Rachel's BIG SCARY NIGHTMARE™.
Daaaaave! I was pleasantly surprised! There'd been some rumours previously that the writers had approached Max Adler and Grant Gustin for a brief scene at some point this season, just to sort of explain where they're at now, but were unable to because of scheduling (Adler's on ABC Family's Switched at Birth, and at the time Gustin was on Arrow and preparing for the Flash series - a show I absolutely cannot wait for).

I'd still like to see at least Karofsky have a happier send-off. Since the gang's all in New York, could they not have a NYC Pride-themed episode? That'd be a great way to explain Dave coming up to visit and seeing how he's progressed. But it'll probably never be more than wishful thinking - unless Santana's nana's on her deathbed and she needs a quickie beard.

I'm actually enjoying the show a lot more now that they've said "gently caress it" to Lima, brought back the original players and focused it on New York. They should have done that from the start - or else jettisoned the old cast completely in favour of the new kids, a la Degrassi's constant torch-passing.

Tuna_Fish_Odyssey
May 15, 2013
Don't stop be-Dean-ing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Tuna_Fish_Odyssey posted:

Don't stop be-Dean-ing.

Why did this make me think of a Supernatural/Glee crossover episode?

Actually at the rate both shows are with odd, guest-star-y plot lines that would not surprise me in the least.

• Locked thread