Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I don't eat delicious eel anymore as sticks have plummeted so precipitously. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Oh no I don't want to contribute to the extinction of eels. I'll make due with another pie in that case.

I just missed Tubby Isaac's anyway.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

sweat poteto posted:

Poached eggs and a flat white is the new eel pie & mash.

Haha this is spot on. It also makes me part of the problem.

Anyway I need a place in/near Soho that you can book a table at. Moderately priced, so nothing earth shattering. Oh and also likely to have a table for 4 for tomorrow night (left this one a bit late).

Also any cuisine is fine, although I've had my fill of burgers and chicken wings for now.

Raffles fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 26, 2014

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

corkskroo posted:

Oh no I don't want to contribute to the extinction of eels. I'll make due with another pie in that case.

I just missed Tubby Isaac's anyway.

I went to a super trad pie and mash place in Lewisham ages ago. Fully tiled interior, Formica tables, terrifying waitresses, the works. Can't remember what it was called though.

Here's a nifty little piece on pie and mash places in SE London. http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/lewisham/11071032.Five_of_the_best_pie_and_mash_shops_in_south_east_London_and_north_Kent/

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Is the pie & mash shop still in Greenwich? Or Bermondsey?

So I went to Hawksmoor with my new boo on Tuesday night, and we had off the bar menu. He had the burger of the month, the five pork, and I had the fabled French dip. His was realllly nice. Lots of porky flavours, and the homemade pork scratchings on the side were a nice touch, and tasty too.

My French dip however was disappointing. The au jus/bone marrow gravy for dipping was incredibly tasty, but the actual sandwich itself was remarkably sloppy. The bread was starting to disintegrate even before I dipped it, and then all structural integrity failed once dipping had commenced. The beef itself was nice, as was the cheese but the mustard added a flavour I wasn't expecting, or indeed, wanted. I've had far better and cheaper French dips before, and I'd expect better from Hawksmoor. Also, it's a long sandwich, at least cut the bugger in half for me before serving!

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons
Went to Ollie Dabbous' new (no reservations) joint The Barnyard on Charlotte Street today.
http://www.barnyard-london.com

It's a brief menu of small plates. Suckling pig with a little bowl of celeriac; beef on toast; crispy chicken wings.
It was simple but tasty food executed very well, and definitely worth trying. The popcorn ice cream with smoked fudge sauce finished things off nicely :)

Of course the problem with these places is the waiting list starts to build from about 6:30 each night. It's relatively under the radar currently so if you fancy it I'd say try and get along soon before all the critics reviews come out. Or try a Sunday lunch - it was half empty at all times today.

Edit: And it had a five star review in today's Time Out so the queues will be getting worse...

Muga fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Apr 1, 2014

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
Graduation lunch with parents/partner next week, probably around 1.30 on a weekday. Suggestions for good places near Russell Square/Bloomsbury?

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons
You've got a big choice within 10-15 mins walk round there. The aforementioned Barnyard or many other places on Charlotte Street - Roka for example? Pied a Terre for fine dining.
I quite like Hare and Tortoise which has a place in the Bloomsbury Centre. There's also Burger and Shake if you're looking for a casual burger place.
Lots of choice! Maybe narrow down to a budget or some preferred cuisines.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

About 3 weeks ago i went to the Holborn Dining Room in the new rosewood hotel. It looks absolutely amazing and i was super excited when we sat down but i have never been more underwhelmed upon opening a menu. A honestly look like a generic pubchain menu except with a zero tacked onto the price. The service was pretty iffy and the food was pretty mediocre, my rib of beef tasted crap. It was really tough and had almost no flavour. The price was absolutely astronomical for the quality food and it's the first time i've ever been in a restaurant and noticed the music (and really not in a good way). They were playing poo poo like rhianna far too loudly in a place that looks like this:

On another note my brothers butcher/cook shop has opened on broadway market:
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/b50db3ce-bac0-11e3-8b15-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2xvOhFHyU
http://www.standard.co.uk/goingout/bars/broadway-markets-hottest-new-food-and-drink-spots-9237724.html

Please go and spend all you money there and at the three crowns on old street.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

It's my boss's birthday on Friday and we're planning a lunch. Where should we go?

We work in the City so not too far from there. Dirty food is preferable! And price doesn't matter too much.

Thanks in advance.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Convexed posted:

It's my boss's birthday on Friday and we're planning a lunch. Where should we go?

We work in the City so not too far from there. Dirty food is preferable! And price doesn't matter too much.

Thanks in advance.

Duck and Waffle, clearly!

Tag Plastic
Jun 10, 2006

Not organic.
Any recommendations for Cantonese in Chinatown, or around Victoria, or even Kilburn, or at a pinch anywhere? New Fook Lam Moon in Gerard Street is what they have their eye on... any good?

Tag Plastic fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 16, 2014

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Tag Plastic posted:

Any recommendations for Cantonese in Chinatown, or around Victoria, or even Kilburn, or at a pinch anywhere? New Fook Lam Moon in Gerard Street is what they have their eye on.

Well, the majority of Chinatown is Cantonese cuisine, although there's some Szechuan in a few places. I love HK Diner for dinner or New World for dim sum.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The_Doctor posted:

Well, the majority of Chinatown is Cantonese cuisine, although there's some Szechuan in a few places. I love HK Diner for dinner or New World for dim sum.

I like New World. I've always wondered how many people work there. Thousands!

I had a delicious duck dish for lunch today at Quo Vadis. Simple, excellent. Not cheap but not bad value for the quality and surroundings.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
Go to A Wong in Victoria, it is amazing. I also really recommend Hakkasan off TCR.

Lots of the nice Chinatown places aren't Cantonese but Taiwanese etc. with some Cantonese dishes. TPT is really great, they have a Taiwanese hawker theme, but lots of HK dishes. Imperial China is also really good if you want something more swanky. I also seem to remember Empress of Sichuan doing really nice HK style fresh seafood for some reason, but I'm not sure if it's still the case.

If you're going somewhere with Granny for the long weekend the dim sum afternoon tea at the Imperial in Victoria is nice too.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Tag Plastic posted:

Any recommendations for Cantonese in Chinatown, or around Victoria, or even Kilburn, or at a pinch anywhere? New Fook Lam Moon in Gerard Street is what they have their eye on... any good?

Leong's Legends in Chinatown purports to be Taiwanese but apparently has mostly Cantonese on the menu. I went with a friend when he visited in January and had some drat tasty food.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Hey guys, I'm going to be going to London over the summer. After doing some random digging around on yelp and Time Out London and other random websites, I've pulled together a list of places that look good. Some where chosen specifically because they were cheap. I'm not expecting point by point reviews on all these places, but I was curious if any of these stood out as "JESUS CHRIST DON'T GO" or "I found that this place did that better"

El Pellici, Dishoom, and Regency Cafe for Breakfast http://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/e-pellicci, http://www.dishoom.com/
And maybe St. John on saturday for breakfast. I hear they have donuts, so why not.

Indian YMCA and Deli Grill for cheap Indian lunch - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d734172-Reviews-Indian_YMCA-London_England.html, http://www.delhigrill.com/

Hummus Bros and Greedy Cow for other lunch http://www.hbros.co.uk/ourfood/HummusBrosMenuLunch.pdf, http://www.greedycow.com/menu.html

Finally Cocktavern, Queen of Sheba, and Patogh for dinner. http://cocktavern.co.uk/, http://www.thequeenofsheba.co.uk/ http://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/patogh

I also got a table for dinner at St. John as like...my one fancy, expensive meal night. Because Anthony Bourdain told me to and they had me at "marrow salad".

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Queen of Sheba is lovely, best Ethiopian in London in my opinion.

Hummus Bros is not overly interesting, but it's okay for a quick lunch. If you want street food, cheap places you could check out the Kerb market at Kings Cross.

I'd add Tayyabs to your Indian list - it's dirt cheap and it's popular for a reason.

Maybe look at Lantana or Caravan for breakfast, unless fry ups are what you're going for.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Also, are you sure you've picked out the correct Cock Tavern and it isn't the one on Mare St in Hackney you're after?

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

peanut- posted:

Also, are you sure you've picked out the correct Cock Tavern and it isn't the one on Mare St in Hackney you're after?

You know what, I think I do have the wrong one. Looking back on time out London, my computer blocks their pop ups so I probably just did a quick search for the website. The one they list is the one in hackney. Thanks for pointing that out. I also need to check out those places and find somewhere more exciting than hummus bros.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The people that run The Cock started with The Southampton Arms in Kentish Town which is just up the road from Queen of Sheba.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

peanut- posted:

The people that run The Cock started with The Southampton Arms in Kentish Town which is just up the road from Queen of Sheba.

Oh thanks! Looking at it now, Cock Tavern is too far out of the way for me and Southampton Arms looks great for a beer and scotch egg after dinner at Queen Sheba.

Any opinions on eating at Borough Market (or any of the markets)? I know they have a lot of cheese and produce carts. Any good hot food to walk around with and eat?

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Get a grilled cheese sandwich at the raclette stand. It is the best. If the weather is nice then get to the market early, or late. Or go Friday. The peak time Saturday like 11-2 is miserable.

vv Kappacasein in the Green Market: http://boroughmarket.org.uk/market-map

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Apr 18, 2014

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

sweat poteto posted:

Get a grilled cheese sandwich at the raclette stand. It is the best. If the weather is nice then get to the market early, or late. Or go Friday. The peak time Saturday like 11-2 is miserable.

Alright, I officially don't care about the rest of the market; I want that sandwich. I'm going Friday so that will work out perfect. And thanks to this thread, I've added Lantana, taken out Hummus Bros and added MeatLiquor, and then added a stop by Tayyabs for dinner one night. Oh and a stop by Gelupo, because that ice cream looked incredible.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Is there any difference between the various hawksmoors in terms of quality? Also would anyone recommend a similar steak place over hawksmoor? Got a birthday meal coming up and we want that kind of food but I thought this thread might have some more suggestions.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Lady Gaza posted:

Is there any difference between the various hawksmoors in terms of quality? Also would anyone recommend a similar steak place over hawksmoor? Got a birthday meal coming up and we want that kind of food but I thought this thread might have some more suggestions.

I've been to Seven Dials and Air Street, and Seven Dials is much better by far. There's just something about Air Street I didn't like at all. Even though it had barely been open a couple of months by that point, it had this stuffy, dusty, very dated atmosphere that sucked all the enjoyment out of it.

Seven Dials is quite laid back and feels pretty informal, but Air Street feels old fashioned and like you need to wear a tie.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Greedy Cow is alright but it's in Mile End and there are better burger places in London.

I have a hankering for tacos and margaritas, where are the best in London?

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

reality_groove posted:

Greedy Cow is alright but it's in Mile End and there are better burger places in London.

It's funny you say that because I was just looking at my schedule and Greedy Cow and Delhi grill are completely out of the way for what I'm doing that day. I'm now going to Meatliquor so I have my hamburger covered. I was primarily interested in Greedy Cow just because of their weird meats (kangaroo, camel, etc). Now I just need to find two other relatively cheap places for lunch and I'm still going through this thread. If anyone off hand knows some cheap lunches in central London that are more unusual, let me know. In the mean time, I'm going to just keep digging around.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

into the void posted:

It's funny you say that because I was just looking at my schedule and Greedy Cow and Delhi grill are completely out of the way for what I'm doing that day. I'm now going to Meatliquor so I have my hamburger covered. I was primarily interested in Greedy Cow just because of their weird meats (kangaroo, camel, etc). Now I just need to find two other relatively cheap places for lunch and I'm still going through this thread. If anyone off hand knows some cheap lunches in central London that are more unusual, let me know. In the mean time, I'm going to just keep digging around.

Koba Korean in Rathbone Place is good Korean with a reasonably priced lunch menu. Hang Kang on Hanway St is also good.

Opuz on Old Compton St does really good lamb shish. On the same street Maoz is good for falafel.

Cay Tre on Dean St is not cheap (£10 or so) but pretty good Vietnamese. I'm sure you could get cheaper/better farther East.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

reality_groove posted:

Not sure it's necessarily best but La Perla in covent garden is the benchmark for jugs of margarita post work.

Tag Plastic
Jun 10, 2006

Not organic.
Thanks for the Cantonese recs, I'll look into them. It's for a pair of Hong Kong emigrants to meet up for nostalgia after 40-50 years, if that sparks any more ideas.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

I've been to Seven Dials and Air Street, and Seven Dials is much better by far. There's just something about Air Street I didn't like at all. Even though it had barely been open a couple of months by that point, it had this stuffy, dusty, very dated atmosphere that sucked all the enjoyment out of it.

Seven Dials is quite laid back and feels pretty informal, but Air Street feels old fashioned and like you need to wear a tie.

Good to know, thanks! Think I might book Seven Dials then...

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
Anyone got a casual, pre-gig place in Camden for me tonight? Was thinking brewdog cos I want to knock a few back as well, but any other recommendations welcome. PS sorry if this has been covered already: on my phone and on the move so reading loads of thread is hard!

Vvv cheers, will check that out pending friends' finickety preferences! Vvv

Al2001 fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 21, 2014

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
The Black Heart has better beers and a popup kitchen space that is currently occupied thus: http://www.ourblackheart.com/assets/pdfs/Black_Heart_Food_Menu.pdf

Lucidity87
May 3, 2014
If your are ever around soho, Flat Iron does a good steak

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
I went to Lemonia in Primrose Hill last weekend. I had heard a lot of hype about it, and we have a family friend who has known the owner for years, so it was a nice experience. Everything tasted good, the dolmades were some of the best I've ever had, and my lamb kleftiko was tender and delicious.

I was told beforehand it is not haute cuisine; it is simple traditional fare, but done right. Which, I have to admit, it is. But the prices are outrageous for the type of food it is. You pay around £15 for just your meat main with no sides - it's £3-6 per side dish, which are also plain things like roast potatoes with minimal seasoning.

I guess they can get away with their prices because the place is always full, but coming from Canada originally all I could think was that those price tags would be found on well-aged filet mignon dinners at upscale steak houses.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Artificial Idiocy posted:

I went to Lemonia in Primrose Hill last weekend. I had heard a lot of hype about it, and we have a family friend who has known the owner for years, so it was a nice experience. Everything tasted good, the dolmades were some of the best I've ever had, and my lamb kleftiko was tender and delicious.

I was told beforehand it is not haute cuisine; it is simple traditional fare, but done right. Which, I have to admit, it is. But the prices are outrageous for the type of food it is. You pay around £15 for just your meat main with no sides - it's £3-6 per side dish, which are also plain things like roast potatoes with minimal seasoning.

I guess they can get away with their prices because the place is always full, but coming from Canada originally all I could think was that those price tags would be found on well-aged filet mignon dinners at upscale steak houses.

I'm not sure where you're eating your well-aged filet mignon but I certainly don't know where I can get one for £15. Welcome to London dining.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

tentish klown posted:

I'm not sure where you're eating your well-aged filet mignon but I certainly don't know where I can get one for £15. Welcome to London dining.

Plus Primrose Hill is an enclave of wealth and privilege, and priced accordingly.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

tentish klown posted:

I meant compared to Canadian prices. To be fair, the exchange rate right now kind of helps that out - and the price to compare with is more like £22 not £15, because I don't mean just the piece of meat.

But yes, I've been here a year now, and I agree that London dining is generally more expensive. This seemed high by London standards for what it was, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Yeah you are paying for the area and the decor as well. I remember that the one time I went to Lemonia I just got the meze which seemed reasonably priced. Try their sister restaurant across the road next time, it's more reasonably priced I believe.