Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Real hurthling! posted:

Cause the game is only challenging if you are colorblind and have to trial and error your way through the exact same rock paper scissors puzzle over and over again during 3 separate play throughs of the entire game for the best ending.

The game is full of great idea but the game play and mechanics are trash. every 5 minutes you've got a new character relearning the same spells for the zillionth time, characters with fun/unique combat are outnumbered by a lot of similar feeling weapon sets and abilities, and the game encourages you to run in circles for long periods to regain enough mana to top off between encounters.

I think it was too ambitious a goal and what they delivered has huge issues. That said all the characters and the graphics and all that stuff were really cool.

I'm sorry you didn't like the game, I guess. I was just saying that keeping your insanity meter low robs you of the thing that makes the entire game worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Real hurthling! posted:

Cause the game is only challenging if you are colorblind and have to trial and error your way through the exact same rock paper scissors puzzle over and over again during 3 separate play throughs of the entire game for the best ending.

The game is full of great idea but the game play and mechanics are trash. every 5 minutes you've got a new character relearning the same spells for the zillionth time, characters with fun/unique combat are outnumbered by a lot of similar feeling weapon sets and abilities, and the game encourages you to run in circles for long periods to regain enough mana to top off between encounters.

I think it was too ambitious a goal and what they delivered has huge issues. That said all the characters and the graphics and all that stuff were really cool.

I'm still kind of hoping to see a sequel, or at least see Nintendo cash in on the Insanity Meter copyright/trademark/patent or whatever legal hoohah they pulled off.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I'm sorry you didn't like the game, I guess. I was just saying that keeping your insanity meter low robs you of the thing that makes the entire game worthwhile.

The insanity meter effects are all meaningless. They get repetitive and many of them slow your progress through the game. The on demand reduction of insanity with no penalty is very likely an admission on the developer's part to how terribly annoying insanity effects get when you've seen them already.

I'm not telling you to not like the game or anything but don't tell me I played it wrong because i didn't want to pretend that my nintendo crashed or my inventory was empty after the first time it happened.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

eating only apples posted:

Of course they didn't, no one playing these games for the first time would even think those numbers were significant. They're far from important and there you go feeling the need to play know-it-all. Good job I guess.

We didn't end up figuring it out but we got pretty close. Close enough that we understood what we were supposed to get out of it.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Silent Hill Visual Novels~

eating only apples posted:

Of course they didn't, no one playing these games for the first time would even think those numbers were significant. They're far from important and there you go feeling the need to play know-it-all. Good job I guess.

You seem kinda upset.

Somethingdumb posted:

We didn't end up figuring it out but we got pretty close. Close enough that we understood what we were supposed to get out of it.

Yeah I only really brought it up because of Kyle's couple last lines in the video hint at him wanting to say something about it. It's just a cute little detail.

Jakuvious
Mar 15, 2011

Stealth mode

Real hurthling! posted:

The eternal darkness way would be nothing because you'd have a spamable spell that reduced insanity and never see any of the effects.

There were a number of moments that happened in Eternal Darkness regardless of sanity/insanity, if you poked around the right places.

And honestly, just playing through the game I either did not know that was an option, or simply didn't use it.

I also (replying more to your other post now) didn't really get much repetition from the insanity effects either. Going through normally in one (well, three depending on how you figure it) casual playthroughs and not intentionally draining or raising my sanity much I got a good variety without a lot of repetition. You're only going to see the same ones over and over if you're intentionally running at low sanity as often as possible, honestly. Which, sometimes it's fun to do that to show off the game, but not when you're really playing. Your sanity just doesn't naturally get that low, that often, that consistently for it to be detrimental to the flow of the game. And sure, the combat and puzzles were eh in the long run, but that's kind of the hallmark of the genre, isn't it? I can't remember the last time Resident Evil tripped me up with a puzzle, and I don't think I've ever found a Silent Hill game to have fulfilling combat. The games are great typically due to other elements (though I thoroughly enjoyed the actual combat/gameplay of RE4. But that also happened to be when RE diverged from it's usual formula.)

Silent Hill, for instance, has always been a game to sit back, enjoy a story, and get a little creeped out at 3 in the morning, for me. I've never gone into a game in this genre anticipating titillating combat or mind-bending puzzles.

But, to each their own.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I was always under the impression that SH4 was the most polarizing, but after reading this thread, it seems I was mistaken. :v:

Personally, I really like SH3, since I feel it has the best atmosphere. Couldn't tell you what it is that makes it different from 1 and 2. I also really like the music. The game does have some really bizarre design decisions, what with insta-deaths, ENEMIES EVERYWHERE, and some strange puzzles, but I like it despite all that. SH3 is actually the only one of the first three to really unnerve me, and there were several instances where I had to stop playing the game so I could regain myself.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 10, 2014

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Butt Ghost posted:

I was always under the impression that SH4 was the most polarizing, but sfter reading this thread, it seems I was mistaken. :v:

I liked SH3 until I watched this playthrough of it. :psyduck:

SH4 will get its own pages of rages when they get to it though.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I liked the scare deaths. I think they provide a gameplay-related "edge" to the fear. Silent Hill 3 presents a lot of its scares in ways that actually threaten the player character. SH2 is all inside your head, which is effective at first, but a lack of any gameplay weight to the fear weakens it on multiple playthroughs. SH3 endures in a lot of ways because it isn't afraid to give you a spooky sequence that WILL kill you, and thus forces you to act and or panic.

SH4 accomplishes this as well, although none of the SH games balance this as beautifully as Fatal Frame does.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

Part 17: My Dinner With Leonard
Such a nice guy.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Butt Ghost posted:

I was always under the impression that SH4 was the most polarizing, but after reading this thread, it seems I was mistaken. :v:

I like to think SH4 is still the most polarizing because that means everyone hates Homecoming and Downpour.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

For all I know you've already played through to the end, but if not, here's how to deal with those crawly guys that are pissing you off around the start of the video: drop beef jerky. I saw it in your inventory; you have 22 of them. Just lay one down, watch them go for it, then smash them with one big swing of the maul.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Akratic Method posted:

For all I know you've already played through to the end, but if not, here's how to deal with those crawly guys that are pissing you off around the start of the video: drop beef jerky. I saw it in your inventory; you have 22 of them. Just lay one down, watch them go for it, then smash them with one big swing of the maul.

we tried that on the dogs several times because, you know, that makes sense. It didn't work so we never tried it again.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Somethingdumb posted:

we tried that on the dogs several times because, you know, that makes sense. It didn't work so we never tried it again.

Yeah, I don't know why but for some reason it works like a charm on the crawlers, way more than any other enemy. I think because they're wide, flat, and low, which makes it really easy to hit them with the maul's overhead heavy swing. (I forget whether you guys are playing via a means that can do the pressure-sensitive button's heavy/light attack distinction, though: if you can only do the side-to-side sweeping light attack, it probably won't work as well.)

Also, you might have to drop the jerky before they've started attacking you to get them to go for it. I forget; I haven't played for years.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Someone spoil the end of How I Met Your Mother for me.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Mister Chief posted:

He got married and had kids, I think.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Mister Chief posted:

Ted murders his wife and has plastic surgery to turn himself into Bob Saget.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Mister Chief posted:

The woman who he met for 7 minutes and marries and has kids dies so he marries Robin instead. Apparently that made people cry.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mister Chief posted:

Screw it, I'll take it. He met the mother.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Is it just me or is Heather starting to act like a badass: "I guess you're not a normal person, anyway. :smugbert:"

Yeah, take that, you eldritch abomination.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Not a single Leonard Part 6 joke, I gotta say, I'm disappointed.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

WaltherFeng posted:

Is it just me or is Heather starting to act like a badass: "I guess you're not a normal person, anyway. :smugbert:"

Yeah, take that, you eldritch abomination.

Heather's a really good protagonist. I think it's sort of hard to take stock of that as you go through the game per se, but after you've seen how everything plays out, Heather really stands out as a pretty strong female character who doesn't resort to stock tropes of toughness, but still manages to move her own story forward, even if she does spend most of the plot being (clumsily) manipulated.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Isn't the phrase "strong female character" so overused and misapplied that it's been relegated to use in irony and sarcasm only at this point?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yes, but it also applies unironically to Heather.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Heather was pretty great because by 3, I was so tired of protagonists seeing crazy weird poo poo, and just whispering "what is going on." I liked 1 and 2, it was just nice to see the protoganist characterized by their actions as well as what happened in town. It's great to see her just tell the weird moments/characters to go gently caress themselves.

I caught up on your videos, and liked them. I enjoyed what you did with Silent Hill 1. SH LPs tend to get dull, because they're typically by people who have beaten them 30 times and written theses on the symbolism, so all you see is them cheesing their way through combat/danger while subtitles go on about extended lore. It was great to see someone experiencing the games for the first time, getting genuinely frightened or nervous by moments, frustrated by some of the bad parts, and appreciating what the games did well. Trying not to poo poo up your thread, but with that said, I think your Silent Hill 2 videos were some of the worst game videos I've ever watched, and couldn't finish them (sorry if that's lovely and bringing down the thread, I don't wanna be that guy), because watching you do the same things over and over and running in circles because you were too busy talking about the phones you just bought was horrible to watch, and I hope you can keep away from that this time.

Dianasaur Go!
Jun 10, 2004

too soon from the cave
too far from the stars
Enjoying the LP so far, as I have the other the Silent Hill games you've done. I hope you guys do SH4, too, because that would be pretty hilarious! Anyway, I did some "fan art" based on having just watched the latest episode:

For full effect, make it the background of a YTMND page with "Kiss From a Rose" playing on repeat.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Leonard is one of the worst boss fights I have ever seen. He doesn't even do anything except wander around and occasionally prod you with his flappy arm. :psyduck:

Would you like to delete your save data?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

turtlecrunch posted:

Leonard is one of the worst boss fights I have ever seen. He doesn't even do anything except wander around and occasionally prod you with his flappy arm. :psyduck:

Would you like to delete your save data?

He's not as threatening as the last boss, and in general the Hospital can be a pretty tough stage, so I don't mind how easy he is. Fun fact, he's actually even easier to melee then to shoot--I recall using the maul and just letting Heather's auto-aim track him while he's under the water. You have just enough time to smack him back under the water. The katana is also really effective, he's so slow you can run circles around him.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Story aside, I think that if Silent Hill 2 had any sort of competency in it's design we, by default, wouldn't have had to talk about bullshit the entire time. We take basically a whole episode about 3/4 of the way through the SH2 LP to talk about why we don't really like it.

Also, for your sake, if you're worried something you say might be taken the wrong way, consider rephrasing the parts that specifically mention how the person you're talking about made the worst thing you've ever seen. It's just, like, common sense. I mean, you're entitled to say whatever, but don't pretend you were trying to tread lightly.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

The problem with the bullshitting was that it was feeding back into the videos. I understand it's hard to talk while playing a game that requires you to explore, pixel hunt, figure out puzzles, and fight with a really wonky combat system, but there were times that you guys were walking around in circles or mashing through helpful hints without noticing just because you were more interested in talking about your smart phones.

I just didn't want to start a shitfit over things or de-rail the thread with my comment, but wanted to use it as a way of hopefully giving some viewer feedback. I was only frustrated with those videos because I liked your SH and Sonic series enough to follow everything else you've done. I do enjoy what you two do when you do it well and look forward to the rest of the thread. I'm not the type who demands you turn it into a subtitled, no-damage run where you discuss themes and symbolism with complete respect.

Though I enjoy the games, I'll be the first to voice complaints with the series. I do remember getting pretty bored with the games on initial runs where I'd constantly be switching to the map to see what doors I've unlocked or figuring out why I should care about the games during particularly dull stretches. I dig seeing someone going through that first experience and having someone to discuss it with, and since you two can vocalize your thoughts well, that's why I like you guys when I do. I hope that sounds more productive.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Plan Z posted:

The problem with the bullshitting was that it was feeding back into the videos. I understand it's hard to talk while playing a game that requires you to explore, pixel hunt, figure out puzzles, and fight with a really wonky combat system, but there were times that you guys were walking around in circles or mashing through helpful hints without noticing just because you were more interested in talking about your smart phones.
Again, I feel like this is a reflection of the game more than anything. The vast majority of that game is dumb pixel hunting and endlessly checking doors, like you said, so if we have to fill sometimes a full hour where there's literally zero progression and then happen to miss 2 seconds of important detail, I think it's the game's fault (or at least a combination of the game and the fact that we have to be at least minimally interesting).

You're totally entitled to not like those videos, I totally don't have an issue with that, I think a couple of them are easily our worst videos. And I appreciate you liking our other videos. Your second post was much more constructive, thanks for the input.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Somethingdumb posted:

Again, I feel like this is a reflection of the game more than anything. The vast majority of that game is dumb pixel hunting and endlessly checking doors, like you said, so if we have to fill sometimes a full hour where there's literally zero progression and then happen to miss 2 seconds of important detail, I think it's the game's fault (or at least a combination of the game and the fact that we have to be at least minimally interesting).

You're totally entitled to not like those videos, I totally don't have an issue with that, I think a couple of them are easily our worst videos. And I appreciate you liking our other videos. Your second post was much more constructive, thanks for the input.

I can see that. I would have liked something to kill the time in my earlier playthroughs of Silent Hill 2 during some of the not-so-well designed parts. One of the things I liked about SH3 so much, and it shows in the videos, is how much better-designed it is. There are a few lingering problems here and there, but overall, it lets you focus more on solving riddles, tackling monsters, and getting creeped out. You can kind of see where the series takes its turn to the later games in SH3. Not so much in 4, but that one's a different beast.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Having just watched the SH2 LP for a second time, I do think you two seem far more distracted throughout it then before. I don't doubt it's partial boredom over the game, but it's also really clear for very large chunks of the game that you're barely paying attention, which is all the more frustrating when the game ends and you throw up your hands and say "well they should have hinted at this way earlier", completely ignoring all of the tons of hints hidden throughout the main game or subtly presented in the dialog.

I say this while still agreeing that, gameplay wise, SH2 is kind of dull, unless you're alone and letting it sink inside your head. It's got the least engaging combat of any of the games, and all of its stages are much too long (The apartments and hospital are easily more than 50% of the game's content between themselves).

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
On SH3, not SH2:

- People in certain communities in New England have amazingly laissez-faire attitudes toward flooding & water problems. When we moved to Maine, nearly every house we saw had leaks and water damage in the ceiling, basement flooding, etc. The house we did end up getting had undisclosed flooding problems in the basement. We eventually fixed the problem with sump pumps with mercury switches, but damned if that first year wasn't horrible.

- I tried dropping beef jerky myself with the crawlers, and it has a hit-or-miss success rate. I'd often find that its AOE would miss a straggler, and I'd get knocked down anyway.

- I wish more game designers would look to Heather for how to do a main character who's easy to identify with. You hear so often from designers that they make their protagonists as featureless and characterless as possible so that the player can imagine themself in their shoes, but I find it easier to feel for a character and become engaged in their plight if they have a point of view.

- The Otherworld hospital is terrifically tense at parts, with the living red of the "texture worm" walls and the heavy breathing on the soundtrack and Heather receiving the disturbing "Happy Birthday" call but not really understanding the threats being made to her. It's relatively unique in that Heather seems to be under threat from "mundane" human stalkers rather than otherworldly forces (which should be considerably less scary but somehow was more so for me due to the threat being more pointed, if that makes any sense).
I wish something more had been done with all this material, though. The game kind of creates this Gordian knot of murderers and victims, and it just throws its hands in the air at the end. The game seemed to be working with a theme considering that a lot of the stuff is based on real-life violence against women, which makes it more disappointing to see SH3 ultimately kinda perplexed as to what to do with what turned out to be the mess it made.

- I don't want to clog the thread with another long Hard Mode puzzle recap/complaint, but I cannot envision an explanation for the (this's a Wiki link, but it has no spoilers for stuff we haven't seen) crematorium puzzle on Hard mode that does not consist of "the second and third clue stanzas of the master poem were accidentally switched," 'cause that's the only way the drat thing makes sense. 10 years later, and even one of the most assiduously analytical fan bases out there has no consistent explanation for the logic of the puzzle as it exists beyond "Wikipedia says linnets sometimes maybe eat a lot I guess."

Blenheim fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 17, 2014

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Blenheim posted:

- I don't want to clog the thread with another long Hard Mode puzzle recap/complaint, but I cannot envision an explanation for the (this's a Wiki link, but it has no spoilers for stuff we haven't seen) crematorium puzzle on Hard mode that does not consist of "the second and third clue stanzas of the master poem were accidentally switched," 'cause that's the only way the drat thing makes sense. 10 years later, and even one of the most assiduously analytical fan bases out there has no consistent explanation for the logic of the puzzle as it exists beyond "Wikipedia says linnets sometimes maybe eat a lot I guess."
You're close. The dev notes say to rank the birds/numbers in vertical order from heaven to hell (mentioned in their respective stanzas). The problem is that this step is neither mentioned nor alluded to at any time in the actual game.

eta: You need literally zero real-life knowledge of birds for that puzzle.

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 18, 2014

Jakuvious
Mar 15, 2011

Stealth mode
I would agree partially with Plan Z that the side conversations or "bullshitting" can distract you guys from the task at hand at the game, but frankly, that's typically why I watch group LPs anyway. Since that is how I've always played games with my friends. I mean hell, the side conversations make me forget what's going on, I can only assume it does the same to you somewhat. But hey, not everyone is going to like every kind of let's play.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
After recording more SH3 tonight, I think I officially like SH2 more than SH3. It's hard to say, but I'm pretty sure.

Jakuvious posted:

the side conversations make me forget what's going on, I can only assume it does the same to you somewhat.
It absolutely does, that's kind of my whole point is that SH2 just isn't paced well enough to keep us aware that real content might be about to happen. But yeah, if you dont like it you dont like it, and that's fine. Frankly, the SH2 LP is probably has our worst videos in it, but I don't think it's nearly all bad, or even bad in general. Just bad for us. But if you already dont like our videos, etc etc

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

You need literally zero real-life knowledge of birds for that puzzle.

You need that "heaven to hell" line, though, since the puzzle doesn't make sense without it, hence fans grasping at ornithological straws.

I'm disappointed that this issue wasn't fixed somewhere along the line, or in the game's rereleases. I did put the game down for a good while after this puzzle, and while I can't say it's the sole cause (I had a frustrating fight through Brookhaven), struggling with a puzzle that turned out to be broken after the frustrating keypad puzzle did significantly reduce my patience for the game.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
When you walk by #7, you're supposed to hear "Heather" in a whisper but in all the years I've played this game, I've only triggered it twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Coconut Indian posted:

When you walk by #7, you're supposed to hear "Heather" in a whisper but in all the years I've played this game, I've only triggered it twice.
I think they found the morgue in an earlier video, before the birthday phonecall and the revelation that Corpse #7 was Stanley. It may have triggered then, but it wouldn't have meant anything, and K&K probably wouldn't have noticed/heard it anyway.

• Locked thread