Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Squallege posted:

So is it ever explained why Genie's still wearing his cuffs?

I think it's just because his design is far more balanced that way, and it makes a sensible cutoff for when he does odd transformations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Desperado Bones posted:

Oh, I hadn't listened to the song in ages and I hadn't notice that they recite the same prayer we do in Catholic church. *Smacks chest three times*

Some people think it makes the song work better, as it juxtaposes the ordinary (because it's the Prayer of Confession) and the terrifying (all of what Frollo is talking about) but more important is that those verses of the prayer don't exist just because the priests are chanting at the same time that Frollo is singing, no. Our good friend Alan Menken layered those verses to have more symbolic impact as to what Frollo was saying at each time. When Frollo starts saying "It's not my fault" the priests are saying "mea culpa" which you say because you ARE guilty.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pick posted:

I think it's just because his design is far more balanced that way, and it makes a sensible cutoff for when he does odd transformations.

Also it's easier for cheap animation, like all the collars Hanna-Barbera characters wore.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Strange Matter posted:

You're Only Second Rate

It's sad because the animation quality is just slightly above saturday morning cartoon level, but the animators were trying their hardest to try and make something on the level of "Friend Like Me."

What's wrong with the animation quality? The entire movie has subpar animation, but I like how it's much more surreal for this song than the rest of the movie.

Listening to the song again reminded me that I'm used to it in a different language, though the difference isn't that big. It did make me feel like comparing it to other languages.
English
Dutch
German
French

I had expected the German version to sound the most terrifying, but the French version wins that. :devil:
All of the actors do their best attempt at sounding like the other versions. Genie occasionally suddenly becomes Homer Simpson in the English version.

Pick posted:

This probably. That short moment at the end of the first film he just looks naked without the bands. Maybe because he has such big blue arms.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Darth TNT posted:

What's wrong with the animation quality? The entire movie has subpar animation, but I like how it's much more surreal for this song than the rest of the movie.
Actually that's sort of what I was getting at. The whole film is subpar, but you can tell that they were really trying to do the most they could with it in that song. Like they were just wishing so hard they had a bigger budget while story boarding it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The thing with "You're only second rate" is it's a very loving catchy song. Especially the chorus.

Go ahead and zap me with your big surprise
snap me in a trap, cut me down to size
I'll make a great escape, it's just a piece of cake
You're only second raaaaate~

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The brilliance of You're Only Second Rate is that it mirrors the rhythms of Genie-led songs from the first film and twists it into something cruel and campily menacing.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Preface: I've never been good with character names in movies, so I may reverse the sisters names accidentally.

Okay, so I finally watched Frozen, and I have to say it was a major disappointment, and I felt it was just absolutely awful on pretty much all levels. The only thing I was impressed with was the snow effects, since I live in New England, and have been around snow that long.

The plot wasn't progressive at all, like this thread lead me to believe. Anna literally must find love in order to survive. She falls in love with someone right away, and he seems perfectly fine. Then this love interest turns heel for no reason other than to make it so that there is no conflict of interest for her. Hans was a perfectly reasonable character, acting in the best interest of the town to try to save it from a crisis. Then for no reason the movie decides that he was just manipulating the main character for a chance at power. :geno: They just did this so that she could guilt-free move on to Sven for true love and have the happy ending. I was watching the movie and from the first instance of her interacting with Kristof I knew she as going to ditch Hans for no reason. He did nothing wrong, and was acting entirely rational. Even pleading with the Elsa begging her to not be "the monster they think you are". But no, he's an evil mastermind who has only his interests in mind, so you don't have to like this character anymore and no one has to feel bad when he's thrown in jail. It just strikes me of character sabotage to help resolve the movie quicker.

The main villain is the Elsa. She absolutely fucks with so many people's lives. She traps everyone in the city, and the Prince works his best to manage the crisis. But Hans lies, says that Anna is dead, when that could be disproved in minutes. "Oh, the princess is dead? We better get her body for a funeral." "NO NO NO FOR REASONS."

Elsa freezes the entire city, makes an ice/snow monster golem that tries to kill the soldiers trying to survive the snow, and basically pegs someone against a wall and almost forces someone off of a cliff. She was a monster, and the prince begs her to stop. But they realized that otherwise the Anna would have to choose between this brave, caring hero, or some guy that wasn't initially interested in her whatsoever. So they just quickly make Hans evil, ignoring that he was trying to save the city folk from the blizzard. Sorry buddy, you're just not convenient for the movie anymore, time to turn you into the villain.

The only character that seemed to be at all fun to watch was the reindeer, and that's because they took from How To Train Your Dragon, and turned him into a dog. Olaf is just the mascot character, and could be replaced with any other character in the movie. Need to light a fire to help Anna stay warm, might as well have been something Anna did herself. He's just awful comic relief, "watch out for my butt!". I remember this thread being worried about Olaf, and then being relieved by watching the movie and thinking he wasn't as bad as they thought. Now I'm just wondering what they liked about this character, he easily had the worst song in this movie.

The songs, while I'm on the subject, are also terrible. Never before in any recent movie (including Tangled) have I realized that they're just casting some pop singer to sing modern songs. These songs don't sound like Disney classic songs, they're just pop songs with a female singer that can hold a note for a while. They're never going to be classics like "Can't Wait To Be King" or the Aladdin songs. This obviously isn't my genre of music, but they were just terrible to me. I ended up skipping the song where the trolls were singing about whatever, as I was trying to advance the movie a bit. And then they forgot it was a musical and skipped any more songs for the rest of the movie anyways.

I went into this movie with higher expectations. I was lead to believe that it was a progressive movie with a great plot and characters, and found this to be entirely wrong. I want to hear what people liked about this movie, because this is the first movie in a while that I've watched and just hated nearly every minute of it.

EDIT: I'm sorry to rant, but this movie really, really made me upset for all its hype.

IUG fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 20, 2014

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

IUG posted:

Anna literally must find love in order to survive.

OK, I have to take umbrage here as you have missed the point entirely. This wasn't a true loves kiss situation. The characters just thought it was. What Anna needed was an "Act of true love" and it as one performed by her, sacrificing a potential cure that may not even have worked at that point for her own sister's immediate wellbeing.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

True, but it did make it so that the movie turned Hans into the villain. By Hans being the villain, you don't see that "true love" is the love between sisters. It's a good twist, but it's the movie manipulating into accepting that Anna and Sven should be together rather than Elsa and Hans. "True love" being sisterly love was just unexpected, because the movie railroads you into accepting Elsa and Kristof as true lovers.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Cinema Discusso > The Animation Thread: PYF Terrible Opinions

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

LaughMyselfTo posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Cinema Discusso > The Animation Thread: PYF Terrible Opinions

Then I want to hear your opinions on why I'm wrong. How is this movie progressive, how are the characters likable, and how are the songs timeless? How is Olaf a great character?

I really don't know how people on these forums found it great. I'm seriously confused as the main character must find a man in order (she thinks) to live, the only likable main character is the villain until he's force to be unlikable, and I guess I just don't like pop songs. I must have missed something, because I just thought it was a miserable movie with nice graphics.

Olaf was just pointless though.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
You think Elsa is the villain. Either you have no empathy or weren't paying attention.

Anyone subjected themselves to Rio2? I'm curious how bad it is.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I understand it was out of control, but her answer was to run away. When confronted she stabs a guy with ice daggers and is in the process of pushing someone off of a cliff. The real "villian" begs her to calm down and to not give into what everyone believes her to be. Any other movie he would be the hero who spares the monster its fate. But a little while later in the movie he later tries to kill the main character by locking her in a room, and works against her with no foreshadowing or any hints that he has any other motives. He turns from heroic if not misguided into a mustache twirling villain just so Anna can reject him without being amoral and move on to the next guy she believes will save her life.

Hell, he even taunts her as she's dying that he's not the true love. This was a character who was previously trying to save an entire town in crisis that's not his own. :psyduck:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

IUG posted:

Then I want to hear your opinions on why I'm wrong. How is this movie progressive, how are the characters likable, and how are the songs timeless? How is Olaf a great character?

I really don't know how people on these forums found it great. I'm seriously confused as the main character must find a man in order (she thinks) to live, the only likable main character is the villain until he's force to be unlikable, and I guess I just don't like pop songs. I must have missed something, because I just thought it was a miserable movie with nice graphics.

Olaf was just pointless though.

People call the movie progressive for several reasons! One, replacing stock romantic love (and something Disney is known for!) with sisterly love directly provided by the character we've been led to believe will instead receive that love is pretty cool, again especially in light of Disney's history with creating sketchy role models and unrealistic ideals of love for little girls. The other big thing is that Elsa's ice powers and her attitude toward them is pretty easily likened to homosexuality, or really any sort of issue someone might feel they need to conceal (spoilers: they don't).

Re: Hans' evil turn being contrived, I think if you watch the movie again, you'll notice he's pretty obviously both a great actor and not at all on the up and up. Love is an Open Door is easily my favorite song with that full context.

I can understand not liking Olaf's comedic contributions to the film (and hating his dumb design), but his character is a physical manifestation of Anna and Elsa's childhood happiness and the bond they once shared, brought to life when Elsa can no longer conceal. He's definitely not pointless at all!

Your post does illustrate something I was worried about, though; I adore Frozen but it's receiving downright ludicrous levels of hype.

edit:

quote:

I understand it was out of control, but her answer was to run away. When confronted she stabs a guy with ice daggers and is in the process of pushing someone off of a cliff.

Hell, he even taunts her as she's dying that he's not the true love. This was a character who was previously trying to save an entire town in crisis that's not his own.

Yes, her answer is to run away and this is not presented as a good and healthy idea for anyone involved, that's the point! And she doesn't actually stab anyone, she pins one dude down and pushes the other one away. Pushing people away! That's what she does.

And Hans acts as if the city is his own because that's his goal. It's a sinister sort of heroism when you understand the intent behind his actions. He's acting like he's in charge, like he's the king, because in his mind he already is.

Looper fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 20, 2014

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

IUG posted:

The plot wasn't progressive at all, like this thread lead me to believe. Anna literally must find love in order to survive. She falls in love with someone right away, and he seems perfectly fine. Then this love interest turns heel for no reason other than to make it so that there is no conflict of interest for her. Hans was a perfectly reasonable character, acting in the best interest of the town to try to save it from a crisis. Then for no reason the movie decides that he was just manipulating the main character for a chance at power. :geno: They just did this so that she could guilt-free move on to Sven for true love and have the happy ending.

so you think it would be more progressive for the sheltered little girl to just run off with the first boy she met because if a guy "seems nice" then he's a nice guy and nothing can go wrong. That would be a much better message to young women.

Ok then.

I guess Twilight's the most progressive thing ever right.
I didn't care for frozen that much but really now.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Back on a positve note I like the lines between Anna and kristoff on the sled
:sparkles:"I want to help"
:mad:"No"
:sparkles:"Why not?"
:mad:"Because I don't trust your judgement!"

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

IUG posted:

I understand it was out of control, but her answer was to run away. When confronted she stabs a guy with ice daggers and is in the process of pushing someone off of a cliff. The real "villian" begs her to calm down and to not give into what everyone believes her to be. Any other movie he would be the hero who spares the monster its fate. But a little while later in the movie he later tries to kill the main character by locking her in a room, and works against her with no foreshadowing or any hints that he has any other motives. He turns from heroic if not misguided into a mustache twirling villain just so Anna can reject him without being amoral and move on to the next guy she believes will save her life.

Hell, he even taunts her as she's dying that he's not the true love. This was a character who was previously trying to save an entire town in crisis that's not his own. :psyduck:

He was faking the whole time, you can tell when watching it again that he was bullshiting Anna the whole time and as for saving Elsa, he shot down the Chandelier on purpose.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

IUG posted:

The plot wasn't progressive at all, like this thread lead me to believe. Anna literally must find love in order to survive. She falls in love with someone right away, and he seems perfectly fine. Then this love interest turns heel for no reason other than to make it so that there is no conflict of interest for her. Hans was a perfectly reasonable character, acting in the best interest of the town to try to save it from a crisis. Then for no reason the movie decides that he was just manipulating the main character for a chance at power. :geno: They just did this so that she could guilt-free move on to Sven for true love and have the happy ending. I was watching the movie and from the first instance of her interacting with Kristof I knew she as going to ditch Hans for no reason. He did nothing wrong, and was acting entirely rational. Even pleading with the Elsa begging her to not be "the monster they think you are". But no, he's an evil mastermind who has only his interests in mind, so you don't have to like this character anymore and no one has to feel bad when he's thrown in jail. It just strikes me of character sabotage to help resolve the movie quicker.

Dude is a power-hungry jerkwad. The tells are there but they're subtle, and not apparent on a first viewing. Eg: the timing of the lyrics in Love is an Open Door (and the that the meaning of "open door" is different between the two), and that scene with the chandelier and crossbow in Elsa's ice palace.

IUG posted:

The main villain is the Elsa. She absolutely fucks with so many people's lives. She traps everyone in the city, and the Prince works his best to manage the crisis. But Hans lies, says that Anna is dead, when that could be disproved in minutes. "Oh, the princess is dead? We better get her body for a funeral." "NO NO NO FOR REASONS."

The whole ruse with him helping out during the crisis is because he's a pragmatic rear end in a top hat that wants to appear a hero, and not a mustache twirling Disney villain. He wants to keep his hands clean.

IUG posted:

Elsa freezes the entire city, makes an ice/snow monster golem that tries to kill the soldiers trying to survive the snow, and basically pegs someone against a wall and almost forces someone off of a cliff. She was a monster, and the prince begs her to stop. But they realized that otherwise the Anna would have to choose between this brave, caring hero, or some guy that wasn't initially interested in her whatsoever. So they just quickly make Hans evil, ignoring that he was trying to save the city folk from the blizzard. Sorry buddy, you're just not convenient for the movie anymore, time to turn you into the villain.

Dudes tried to murder her in her own home. Notice that Mr. Evil Prince only tries to kill Elsa when she admits she doesn't know how to stop the blizzard.

IUG posted:

The only character that seemed to be at all fun to watch was the reindeer, and that's because they took from How To Train Your Dragon, and turned him into a dog. Olaf is just the mascot character, and could be replaced with any other character in the movie. Need to light a fire to help Anna stay warm, might as well have been something Anna did herself. He's just awful comic relief, "watch out for my butt!". I remember this thread being worried about Olaf, and then being relieved by watching the movie and thinking he wasn't as bad as they thought. Now I'm just wondering what they liked about this character, he easily had the worst song in this movie.

I'll concede this one. But honestly it would stylistically be too much like a Pixar movie.

IUG posted:

The songs, while I'm on the subject, are also terrible. Never before in any recent movie (including Tangled) have I realized that they're just casting some pop singer to sing modern songs. These songs don't sound like Disney classic songs, they're just pop songs with a female singer that can hold a note for a while. They're never going to be classics like "Can't Wait To Be King" or the Aladdin songs. This obviously isn't my genre of music, but they were just terrible to me. I ended up skipping the song where the trolls were singing about whatever, as I was trying to advance the movie a bit. And then they forgot it was a musical and skipped any more songs for the rest of the movie anyways.

I'll concede the troll song too, as its too tonally out of place. But don't be hatin' the movie because its not part of the 90's Disney Renaissance. Although one could argue that its part of a new resurgence for the 21st century.

IUG posted:

I went into this movie with higher expectations. I was lead to believe that it was a progressive movie with a great plot and characters, and found this to be entirely wrong. I want to hear what people liked about this movie, because this is the first movie in a while that I've watched and just hated nearly every minute of it.

The entire movie is a subversive repudiation of the moral message of Disney animated films from the past 50 years. That's why I like it.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

The thing with "You're only second rate" is it's a very loving catchy song. Especially the chorus.

Go ahead and zap me with your big surprise
snap me in a trap, cut me down to size
I'll make a great escape, it's just a piece of cake
You're only second raaaaate~

Granny's gonna grab ya!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Basically beyond the abusive mother thing Tangled didn't really care about having a message and was just fun. There were no moments in Frozen like "I've got a dream" or the horse sword/frying pan fight or the rescue in Tangled. Hell there was no character in Frozen nearly as good as Super Serious Crimefighting Horse.

Frozen just seemed trying too hard to have a message and cram too many things in and just kind of lost its footing a bit with it. It was alright but now that I've seen both it and Tangled, I greatly favor Tangled. (Though both are far beyond Brave in terms of... everything)

Hans being a self-serving manipulative rear end in a top hat was great and perhaps my favorite part of Frozen, the only one that surprised me a little. It's very believable and a good message to not give a Nice Guy too many chances.

And it's absolutely stunning that in all the criticisms that could be thrown at the movie for not being "progressive", THAT part's the one chosen as "problematic". Reversing that part would turn the entire loving story into a r/mensrights animated feature loving film.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Elsa is only a "monster" in the sense that she has the power to hurt people, but most of the hurting she does is out of a lack of control of her powers, not out of pure malice. And by the time she's on the verge of actually killing dudes, they're men who are sent to kill her first. She's acting out of fear and self defense.

Also, there's plenty of foreshadowing for Hans' switch. I watched the movie for the first time knowing the twist, and it's clear he's acting out of self-interest more than actual love. And just because he has the best interests of the townspeople in mind doesn't necessarily make him a good guy. There are plenty of examples of leaders, fictional or otherwise, who have the best interests of their constituents in mind, but are still evil because that one particular thing doesn't automatically make him a good person.

I actually agree with him on some of his complaints, particularly the songs and not being as taken with Olaf as some (though he wasn't as bad as I thought he could/would be), but I really can't see watching that movie and coming out with no empathy for Elsa. She's been given this great gift/power, and forced to keep it under lock and key for years, isolating her sister in the process, and ultimately it taking over when she can't control it any longer, because she had to hide it away for so long. She doesn't turn into some mustache twirling villain that wants to take over the world or anything, she just wants to be left alone so she can't hurt anyone any more. That's the reason for the snow monster (which, like Elsa, only becomes violent when attacked), the ice daggers, nearly pushing a guy over the cliff, all of that. She can't control herself because she's been afraid of hurting people her whole life, and only when Anna sacrifices herself to save her does she realize that open acceptance is the only way she'll truly be able to gain control of herself and her feelings. Anna may be the character that the movie spends the most time with, but the real character arc of the movie is Elsa's.

Rita Repulsa posted:

Hans being a self-serving manipulative rear end in a top hat was great and perhaps my favorite part of Frozen, the only one that surprised me a little. It's very believable and a good message to not give a Nice Guy too many chances.

Uh, no? The message is more along the lines of "Please don't propose marriage to a person you don't even know, because they could turn out to be a royal rear end in a top hat (no pun intended)".

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 20, 2014

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

When I saw Frozen with my family my sister and I both came away thinking that the songs didn't seem the same as what you would find in even something as recent as Tangled. Our main problem we had was the language that was being used in many of the songs and dialogue felt too 21st century and too kid-oriented and I think it was during Love Is An Open Door that she brought it up, had to do with the use of "like" instead of "love". No wait, I might be getting that mixed up with their before and after dialogue but still, the point stands that in an effort to be "progressive" and PC we felt that parts of the movie were kind of :geno:

Now one issue I had with all of the music in the film, the score and the songs, had to do with the fact that it felt so synthetic. The orchestrations sounded a lot of times like they were being made by an engineer who was told by the composer "ok, we need some swelling string quartet right here, ok now we need some guitar" and I never felt like a real orchestra was ever recorded. Now I'm a huge Disney fan, and even huger Disney Music Fan and one thing that I have always looked forward to has been the music of the songs and the themes that would be present throughout the film and I didn't feel anything like that in Frozen. When they were getting chased by wolves? Please, that was over and done with too quickly for anything to take root in my head, not to mention it was fairly boring when compared to another wolf scene, both on a musical level AND a theatric level. I never felt like any of the characters were in danger or that the wolves were a threat. Hell I think the only orchestral track that got a rise out of me was when everyone was wandering in the blizzard. I mean, it was no Transformation like from Beauty and the Beast but it did actually feel like someone spent some time and love on the music for once. I think the only song that I felt was more "traditional" Disney was the Ice song at the beginning of the film, and even then I still sat there going "didn't I already see this song in Les Mis?"

Honestly I have to wonder why Menken wasn't consulted. I mean, I know he isn't the only composer that Disney has used since The Little Mermaid but it's not like he doesn't know what he's doing, but I guess you gotta let the kids do work at some point.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Well for me I went into this movie blind other than "it's progressive and good", which was my impression from this thread.

For me I only realized that Anna was going to ditch the prince for Kristof as soon as she met him. So this makes the first song not appear sinister to someone like me at all. So when Hans goes heel, it seemed more like a retcon to me. The movie went a bit too far to make him look like the hero.

Since I knew that Hans was going to be ditched right after the trading post scenes (btw, the guy running the trading post was my favorite character), I started to look more at Hans' point of view since at that point I thought he didn't do anything wrong other than (apparently not) fall for the wrong person. Since Anna couldn't look bad, I knew he was going to have to do something to look like a bad person, since (until he locks her in the room) he doesn't appear to be a bad guy at all. I guess if I watch the movie again and listen to those lyrics I'll find a sinister undertone, but the movie makes him look heroic the whole way.

From his point of view, not knowing that he's really the villain, he falls for Anna, and supports her decision to save her sister. Hell, one point in this movie's favor is that when Anna leaves, the dialog's gender roles do seem to be reversed for this type of movie. "Don't go it's dangerous" "That's my [sibling]" "I'm worried about you, good luck". So it was interesting to see a man begging and worrying while the woman is brave.

So following Hans, he's trying to manage the city. He's handing out blankets, welcoming people into the house (I believe?), and then decides to take matters into his own hands when he sees that the previous mission might have failed. When he arrives onsite he's attacked by a snow creature and sees two soldiers in peril. Sure the spiked soldier isn't stabbed, but it's a really threatening situation regardless. The other one is actively being pushed off a cliff. And he still tries to beg Elsa to stop what she's doing, and he knocks the crossbow out of the one soldier's hands when he's threatening to take a direct shot at her.

So then they all leave the castle and are brought back to town. At this point the movie has made you believe that Hans is great and the traditional hero. That first song apparently is the only thing that shows that his actions have some kind of undertone, but since then he's saved at least 3 people's lives directly by his actions (counting bringing Anna back). So now this movie could have been interesting and dealt with the moral conflict of who Anna must choose. The one that she thought she loved, or the one that worked with her who didn't really show interest in but you know is the one they're going to stick her with. Instead of having an interesting character moment for Anna wrestling with this idea, we have someone stroking his mustache and giving the super villain speech out of nowhere. Yes, the reasons make sense, 12th in line, no one will be king, she's a "witch". But the change is so sudden that it's a bit of whiplash, and that's why I liken it to a retcon.

So now Anna is free to go to Kristof. But that's the thing. We're shown what the problem is with falling in love with someone you just met. But the answer for Anna is apparently to fall for someone she just met, because they met a day or two ago. That's apparently time enough. So now she goes screaming out into the snow and ice screaming the name of her new "true love". I guess you could say that she realizes that she loves her sister more than anyone, but at gunpoint. Jumping in front of the sword is practically a reflex. She doesn't realize that her actions have been foolish, and still ends up with the person she met two or three days ago. They don't dispel their relationship at the end of the movie, realizing that she falls for people too quickly because of her sheltered life. The whole movie she pines for a man to save her. She doesn't have an epiphany that this has all been wrong, she has a knee-jerk reaction that saves her.

So yeah, a lot of words about this subject I guess. But I just didn't like how Anna was the main character because she doesn't have a satisfying or progressive plot. She may have been the main character, but her arch was shallow and still gave the wrong message to the audience in my opinion. The twists of the real villain and real cure weren't executed well.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

"Let It Go" is a perfectly fine Disney song, especially once it gets into the castle-building portion. Honestly I wasn't especially taken with the rest of the music (especially opposed to Tangled which I still feel is the better movie.)

Hans being a bad guy was telegraphed way in advance though, it's not obvious until you give it a second watch. I think they did a really good job with that particular reveal, because your expectations of the 'prince' type character mask his true intentions, which are entirely self-serving.

But self-serving isn't evil. He wasn't willing to kill Anna, he was just going to let the curse do it for him. He wasn't going to kill Elsa either until no other choice was presented that would break the endless winter. He wanted to look like the hero.

(This is also why he doesn't get the traditional Villain Death at the end of the movie, and is instead just sent to jail.)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

mistaya posted:

Hans being a bad guy was telegraphed way in advance though, it's not obvious until you give it a second watch.

Isn't that the opposite of telegraphed? I will admit that maybe I didn't get all the clues from the first song because the songs didn't hold my interest at all. But if it requires a second watch to see that his actions are actually self-serving, then it wasn't telegraphed for your first view. Which is why I got such a slap in the face for trusting this character. I knew he was going to do something lovely so that Anna could ditch him worry-free and move to Kristof, but the staggering level of douchery was unexpected.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

If it was obvious moustache twirling behind the scenes stuff it wouldn't have been much of a twist would it? If you pay attention the signs are there, but you aren't looking for them the first time around because you assume he's a good guy because he's a handsome prince.

I think "Hans is bad" didn't occur to most people, because we assumed Hans was going to end up with Elsa instead. Of course Anna was going to end up with Kristoff. But the songs that you didn't like had a lot of the subtext of the movie in them so if you fast forwarded them and didn't pay attention you probably missed things that were actually important.

Also Anna didn't immediately throw herself at Kristoff at the end of the movie. She bought him a new sled like she promised and they started dating. It wasn't an instant royal wedding scene. Elsa didn't end up with anyone at all!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

IUG posted:

The songs from the 80/90s Disney movies don't sound anything like the songs from Disney movies from the 40/50s, but they still all sound great. Music changes over time, this isn't exactly news. You not liking it just comes down to a matter of personal taste. Most people loved it and it will doubtlessly go down as a classic.

The soundtrack dethroned Beyonce on the charts and is the most successful soundtrack since the Lion King's.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I know all the lyrics to Let It Go despite never having seen this film nor having ever actively sought the song out. A Disney song hasn't gotten play time like this since Can You Feel The Love Tonight (which I heard on the radio just this past week).

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
" And he still tries to beg Elsa to stop what she's doing, and he knocks the crossbow out of the one soldier's hands when he's threatening to take a direct shot at her."

If you watch his face you can see his eyes dart up before he grabs the crossbow. There's a reason he pulls it up.

I will agree with you that Oaken was the best character.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
The thing that bothers me most about Frozen is there is absolutely no fuckin reason for Anna to care about Elsa and all besides "oh we're sisters". By the time of the coronation, Elsa hasn't spoken to her in years, refuses to leave her room to see her. I hate that they push the sisterly love thing so hard when they've had no interaction for most of their lives yet they care about each other because they're family. Also, my sister and I have never gotten along and basically can't be in the same room as one another so that's probably why I can't relate to or like this part of the movie at all.

Also, the ending was really kind of anti-climatic to me. Elsa doesn't learn to control her powers through any real personal growth, it's more of an 'oh yeah I can do this now'. Which feels incredibly lame. There were basically no consequences for anyone's actions.

I do think the movie had some good moments (Anna trying to climb the cliff was pretty hilarious) and the animation was really nice, but this movie was just such a let down for me. I also didn't think it was as visually interesting as Tangled, another movie that I don't really like but watch sometimes just because it looks so nice. Also, Anna, Elsa and their mother all have the exact same face and it drives me loving crazy.

I also didn't really like any of the songs, but I can tell you the kids at the school where I work fuckin love them and sing them all at every opportunity. It's pretty cute.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I liked Frozen, but I LOVED Tangled.

They aren't even in the same league to me. A lot of what Frozen was trying to do basically felt like a copy and paste of Tangled without the originals skill.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

The thing that bothers me most about Frozen is there is absolutely no fuckin reason for Anna to care about Elsa and all besides "oh we're sisters". By the time of the coronation, Elsa hasn't spoken to her in years, refuses to leave her room to see her. I hate that they push the sisterly love thing so hard when they've had no interaction for most of their lives yet they care about each other because they're family. Also, my sister and I have never gotten along and basically can't be in the same room as one another so that's probably why I can't relate to or like this part of the movie at all.
It's a matter of personal experience. I almost never see my younger sister since she moved to the other side of the country, but you'd better believe I'd do anything to help if she was in trouble. Same thing with my older sister; although our relationship is a lot rockier (because she's not very nice to me) I'd still do whatever I could to help her if she needed me. Beyond any other consideration, I want them to be happy and healthy. If that's not the definition of love between siblings, I don't know what is.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Anna was angry with Elsa right up until she found out why Else had shut her out. (By outing her as a witch in front of the whole kingdom.) They were very close as children, and Anna forgives Elsa after finding out the reason for her withdrawal, and also blames herself for Elsa running away and the whole eternal winter thing.

The whole plot hangs on Anna's absolute determination to make things right again with her estranged sister.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Count me in as another person who ultimately didn't like Frozen, and certainly not as much as Tangled.

My reasons are probably more superficial than most, though. I was with the movie until Elsa left the kingdom and sang "Let it Go." I like the message the song had (and hadn't thought of the subversive undertones it carried, which makes me like the message more) I just straight up don't like the singer's voice. v:shobon:v

Every time she sings, I cringe. I would probably feel the same at a Broadway show, in which I know the singer has a background.

I thought the film had too many songs in general, the worst being "Let it Go" and "Fixer Upper". I didn't much like Olaf and his song either and agree he was pretty unimportant in the long run.

I liked the first portion of the movie, up until Elsa freaks out, and then the last part of the movie after they finally stop singing. Just not much of what was in between. Great message though!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Frozen is a movie that's good throughout, but never has that one moment that pushes it over the top and makes me love it. In Tangled, it was the lantern scene. I appreciate Frozen, but it never "grabs" me.

I suppose it doesn't help that "Let It Go" essentially has the same chorus as every modern pop song, so it's hard for me to go crazy for it. But it's hardly the main problem with the movie.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

When did everyone come around to Tangled? I've always liked it but when it first came out I remember people here making GBS threads all over it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I loved Tangled from day one, although I think it's actually improved in the company of Frozen. They complement each other really well to form a more whole message.

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

I have nothing but confidence in you, and very little of that.
Yeah, Frozen didn't do anything for me either. The songs made me cringe and didn't really advance the plot, the Hans turnaround was awkward as hell, the sisters' relationship was weak because the plot contrived to make them barely interact, and the major themes just sort of came and went as they pleased.

It was pretty though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

raditts posted:

When did everyone come around to Tangled? I've always liked it but when it first came out I remember people here making GBS threads all over it.
Home video release.

• Locked thread