Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Have either of Superman's solo comics done anything with his relationship with Wonder Woman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Isn't one of Hulk/Red Hulk's big differences that Red Hulk actually has an upper limit to his strength while Hulk basically has no limit at all or did I make that up in my head?

Gavok posted:

Have either of Superman's solo comics done anything with his relationship with Wonder Woman?

Lobdell has had her show up in Superman, but mostly all they've done is make googly eyes at each other while Lobdell writes godawful narration/inner dialogue for Supes. I stopped reading the series a while back, but I know from random Tumblr panels he's had Clark give her her "Diana Prince" disguise (which Diana thinks is retarded) so that they could go on dates. She probably showed up while he was writing Action also, but I know no other solo writer yet has used her.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

TwoPair posted:

Isn't one of Hulk/Red Hulk's big differences that Red Hulk actually has an upper limit to his strength while Hulk basically has no limit at all or did I make that up in my head?

That sounds about right. I don't recall ever seeing Red Hulk power up like that. His trump card was the energy absorption thing, but that got nerfed when he became a hero. He can do it, but only very sparingly or there will be horrible consequences. Otherwise, his only advantage against Hulk is his intellect and fighting skill.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I was reading the Avengers run where Osborne and HAMMER come back and they took Red Hulk down fairly easily, which is what made me wonder.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Whatever happened to the Enforcers from Spider-Man? They showed up in the Spectacular cartoon, and there was an Ultimate version, but do they ever show up in the 616? I didn't even know they existed until I started buying the black and white Essential compendiums, but in the old comics they pop up pretty frequently.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Last time I remember seeing them was in the Civil War issues of Thunderbolts.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
This might sound kind of silly, but has anyone ever used judo or aikido on the hulk to like, redirect his punches/use his own force against him or anything?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Whatever happened to the Enforcers from Spider-Man? They showed up in the Spectacular cartoon, and there was an Ultimate version, but do they ever show up in the 616? I didn't even know they existed until I started buying the black and white Essential compendiums, but in the old comics they pop up pretty frequently.

I think they showed up in Brubaker/Lark's Daredevil, which is great if you haven't read it.

I love the Lee/Ditko issue where they're introduced.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
We need more Circus of Crime appearances.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

SoR Blaze posted:

This might sound kind of silly, but has anyone ever used judo or aikido on the hulk to like, redirect his punches/use his own force against him or anything?

I think Hulk outclasses aikido. It would be like trying to redirect a speeding train.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Phylodox posted:

I think Hulk outclasses aikido. It would be like trying to redirect a speeding train.

FF #26, apparently

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Phylodox posted:

The Hulk redirected Juggernaut during the X-men World War Hulk tie-in, sending him about a state over.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I love the idea cap said all of that during the course of one judo move.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Didn't Batman beat the Hulk once by boxing his ears? I've only ever heard about that and haven't seen it because it sounds ridiculous.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Unmature posted:

Didn't Batman beat the Hulk once by boxing his ears? I've only ever heard about that and haven't seen it because it sounds ridiculous.

No. In Batman's words: "Which didn't really hurt the brute -- just startled him long enough to break free --"

How he does beat him is - first, he throws a gas bomb. Hulk holds his breath, but then Batman kicks him in the solar plexus and gets him to take a breath by "startling" him once again and Hulk falls from the knockout gas. Maybe editorial fudged a bit in there by adding "startling"? Hard to say.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

No. In Batman's words: "Which didn't really hurt the brute -- just startled him long enough to break free --"

How he does beat him is - first, he throws a gas bomb. Hulk holds his breath, but then Batman kicks him in the solar plexus and gets him to take a breath by "startling" him once again and Hulk falls from the knockout gas. Maybe editorial fudged a bit in there by adding "startling"? Hard to say.

That's still dumb!

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I'm just gonna take this discussion to its natural retarded end point, Black Panther arm locking Silver Surfer

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Chinaman7000 posted:

I'm just gonna take this discussion to its natural retarded end point, Black Panther arm locking Silver Surfer

Why haven't we seen someone Aikido flip Galactus?

Get on it Marvel!

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I think Squirrel Girl did that to Thanos. The real, definitely not a fake Thanos.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Unmature posted:

That's still dumb!

It was! Though bear in mind this is also from a time that Hulk's invulnerability was presented in a different way back then, too.

Still, the pages in question are pretty rad anyway, IMO.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HitTheTargets posted:

I think Squirrel Girl did that to Thanos. The real, definitely not a fake Thanos.

Are you sure it wasn't a clone or robot or something?

So can Thor fly these days or is he still doing that hammer throw thing?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

So can Thor fly these days or is he still doing that hammer throw thing?

Pretty sure he just flies nowadays, with the catch that he has to be holding Mjolnir in order to fly. I'm not basing this on anything official, I've just seen way too many comics where Thor makes a storm happen for dramatic effect while he just floats in the sky.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 22, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

Pretty sure he just flies nowadays, with the catch that he has to be holding Mjolnir in order to fly. I'm not basing this on anything official, I've just seen way too many comics where Thor makes a storm happen for dramatic effect while he just floats in the sky.

In "Everything Burns" Thor has to jump from stone to stone to get across lava.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does the Silver Age end when Jack Kirby left Marvel in 1970, or when he left DC in 1975?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

Does the Silver Age end when Jack Kirby left Marvel in 1970, or when he left DC in 1975?

Some say when Gwen gets tossed off the bridge.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Wasn't it Benito Cereno who said that a good mark was when Jack Kirby took over Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Metal Loaf posted:

bobkatt013 posted:

Some say when Gwen gets tossed off the bridge.
I would agree with the Silver Age article on wikipedia that basically says the end began with the O'Neil/Adams run on Green Lantern, but definitely finished with the murder of Gwen.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I tend to associate the proper start of the Bronze Age with Claremont taking over on X-Men, but I guess I'd forgotten about O'Neil and Adams on GL/GA. :shrug:

Is there a clear dividing line between the Bronze Age and Dark Age? It seems pretty nebulous to me; I know it's usually listed as Watchmen and TDKR but I'm not sure if I'm entirely convinced.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
There are no real clear dividing lines for any age except Golden/Silver, because it's a gradual process as the era-changing books get published, and slowly the ideas percolate out. The best anyone can do is point to some convenient milestones that, in retrospect, defined the new age, and say "there".

I personally use The Death of Gwen Stacy for starting Bronze, Watchmen for starting Dark, and Ultimate Spider-Man for starting Modern.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
Genuinely curious to know what age we're in now and what elements/creators/events people think characterize it as such?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
True, it's never clearly defined, and each "age" often means pretty different things for each of the Big Two (a Silver Age DC comic and a Silver Age Marvel comic are often going to be pretty different things).

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Shitshow posted:

Genuinely curious to know what age we're in now and what elements/creators/events people think characterize it as such?
Modern Age, defined by widescreen action, writing for the trade, and more mature subject matter (which still frequently goes stupid, but there's been progress at least). Defining writers are Morrison, Johns, Bendis, Hickman, and Millar. I can't really think of any defining artists except Hitch.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but what will they call it when it gets replaced by a new modern age?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

They will give it a name like the trade age.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

We're kinda due for a paradigm shift, by the way. The New 52 might end up being a shift point, for the day-and-date digital if nothing else.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

We're kinda due for a paradigm shift, by the way. The New 52 might end up being a shift point, for the day-and-date digital if nothing else.

The fact that amazon bought comixology might be a shifting point.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CapnAndy posted:

Modern Age, defined by widescreen action, writing for the trade, and more mature subject matter (which still frequently goes stupid, but there's been progress at least). Defining writers are Morrison, Johns, Bendis, Hickman, and Millar. I can't really think of any defining artists except Hitch.

Would this age be defined by its own self-awareness? I feel like comics nowadays recognize the silliness in their own premise and, rather than fighting so hard against it like back in the "Dark Ages" of the 90s, they embrace it. I'm also seeing a lot of slice-of-life, naturalistic kind of comics, like Hawkeye and Superior Foes of Spider-Man where there's as much just hangin' out and examining the personal lives of these larger-than-life characters as there is action.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

I figured we are hitting the digital age. Modern age will be called something like the diamond age are some such BS, defined by trade waiting and I think can probably be defined at its end point by the re-emergence of Image comics. New 52 is the start of the new current age (for me at least).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
A couple of years ago, the guys who do the War Rocket Ajax podcast on Comics Alliance (and the site's editor) reviewed the ten comics Dan DiDio ranked as the most important of his first decade in charge of DC, and one term they used to describe the 2000s as the "Prismatic Age". I believe the reasoning was that a lot of writers are looking back to the Silver Age for inspiration, but they're doing so through the lens of the Dark Age. Identity Crisis was their big example.

It's an interesting idea but I'm not sure how well it holds up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

The NuModern Age. Alternately, The Modern.NOW Age.