Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

vxskud posted:

Any game that tries to force you to drive realistically will bore and frustrate me, I have a vehicle I drive it responsibly everyday, I don't want to simulate that in a game. When I play a game I want to just gently caress around and drive like a lunatic. Thanks to Gran Turismo and all the racing games trying to emulate it the racing game genre is dead to me except for Mario Kart.

Realism ruined both racing games and FPS for me. All I want is another Whiplash.

I've been hearing good things about Split/Second in that regard, but apparently it's not on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory
I want an HD remake of Burnout 3 so bad you guys don't even know :negative:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

vxskud posted:

Any game that tries to force you to drive realistically will bore and frustrate me, I have a vehicle I drive it responsibly everyday, I don't want to simulate that in a game. When I play a game I want to just gently caress around and drive like a lunatic. Thanks to Gran Turismo and all the racing games trying to emulate it the racing game genre is dead to me except for Mario Kart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp93fC3Agj0

Need for Speed: Most Wanted, a realistic driving game.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Heartstone, the newish freemium Warcraft CCG, has four arenas themed after the Warcraft world, with clickable Easter eggs in each corner. In the lower-right corner of the Orgrimmar board, there is a catapult and pile of boulders. You can drag boulders onto the catapult, then click the catapult to throw them across the board!

Why am I posting this in this thread? You always see yourself at the bottom, and the catapult is always at your bottom right. This means that the other player never actually sees the boulders lobbed at them.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Phlegmish posted:

Realism ruined both racing games and FPS for me.

Seriously. I don't care if carrying every gun in the game is unrealistic, I want them all.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Seriously. I don't care if carrying every gun in the game is unrealistic, I want them all.

Playing Doom for the millionth time and I can't agree with this more.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Ahaha what the gently caress, cop car pyramid.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Look man, I see a pyramid of cop cars like every other day on my way to work, I don't need to be reminded about my mundane life every time I boot up a racing game.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

moosecow333 posted:

To further add to the adventure game pile, I've been playing Croc: Legend of the Gobbos again in a fit of nostalgic fury.

I can't remember why I ever played this game.

The controls are total rear end, the graphics are actively working against you (the snow levels are physically painful to look at), the enemies respawn for some unknown reason, and the collectables are obtuse and difficult to find. I remember really enjoying this game as a child, but I don't think I'll be able to finish it.

The music is pretty good I guess.

Fun fact about Croc: The sequel, Croc 2, changed the bounce pads to literally be giant Lifesavers, complete with the all rights reserved symbol show up after every time the game mentioned them by name (which was frequent, and every time they were pertinent). The game also managed to still play as miserably as the first game, to boot! It's the closest I can think of to the video game equivalent to happy meal toys. :allears:

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

This is really kind of a strange thing that FPS games adapted, since apparently developers never realized why Halo started doing it in the first place. Unless a carry restriction is actually designed into the game as a balance reason it doesn't make any sense to implement it at all, because it sure as poo poo isn't a restriction of the console controllers as weapon wheels have been a thing forever. It makes some sense in Call of Duty and games like that where being able to use a sniper rifle and an assault rifle from the get go would not be great from the multiplayer perspective, but look at for example Bioshock Infinite where it was completely detrimental to the experience and could not have made any sense from a design viewpoint. Restricting you to carry one gun of each type would have been more than enough because of the alternate universe versions of the same weapons, but nope, lets brute force a two-gun restriction in here since thats what all the cool games are doing!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Jumping on the Driver: SanFran bandwagon I love the plot twist, considering what put the main character in a coma was being rammed really hard by the villain in the opening. You aren't the only one. The villain did catastrophic enough damage to his own vehicle that he is in a coma as well. And he has similar powers to you. He can literally be anyone, and you won't know who until he tries to finish you off.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

BioEnchanted posted:

Jumping on the Driver: SanFran bandwagon I love the plot twist, considering what put the main character in a coma was being rammed really hard by the villain in the opening. You aren't the only one. The villain did catastrophic enough damage to his own vehicle that he is in a coma as well. And he has similar powers to you. He can literally be anyone, and you won't know who until he tries to finish you off.

... No? The main character's dumb brain was just seeing his lack of recovery as the Jericho guy and he was like 'well if I suddenly have coma magic powers then obviously he does too!'.

The twist was that the news clips he was hearing in the hospital let him figure out that Jericho was faking a dirty bomb attack.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Oohh. I never actually beat the game so that distinction was lost on me. I got stuck on chapter 7 due to being no good at cornering in that game :P

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Don't forget the DLC intro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XniAosUftbQ

What I didn't like about the new Most Wanted was it just felt... soulless. Apart from those silly Ambush intros where you have some kind of Hallucinogenic PTSD, the rest of the game was just 'Here is car, race car, you win car, good car.' Compared to the old Most Wanted that had it's horribly fun cutscenes, new MW's Hot List was literally just a car unlock ladder.

Croccers has a new favorite as of 11:15 on Apr 18, 2014

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

Hey Grid 2 when I want to quit an event and get back to the main menu just take me too the main menu. Please dont show me a ten second long clip of the AI driving my car in slow motion with the words YOU RETIRED over it that I cant skip and then present me with another menu underneath a scoreboard with me in last place asking me to select Quit a second time and then ask me to confirm I want to quit again. I was sure the first time thanks, now you are just begging me to alt+f4 you away.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Croccers posted:

What I didn't like about the new Most Wanted was it just felt... soulless. Apart from those silly Ambush intros where you have some kind of Hallucinogenic PTSD, the rest of the game was just 'Here is car, race car, you win car, good car.' Compared to the old Most Wanted that had it's horribly fun cutscenes, new MW's Hot List was literally just a car unlock ladder.

What got me is that even though it was an open world, so there were theoretically an almost infinite number of courses, you would have to do the same dozen or so races over and over again with different cars to unlock the same upgrades. While cars A, B and C might have different courses to unlock Nitro, you'd find that car D had the same course as A, E had the same course as B, and so on.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

smuh posted:

This is really kind of a strange thing that FPS games adapted, since apparently developers never realized why Halo started doing it in the first place. Unless a carry restriction is actually designed into the game as a balance reason it doesn't make any sense to implement it at all, because it sure as poo poo isn't a restriction of the console controllers as weapon wheels have been a thing forever. It makes some sense in Call of Duty and games like that where being able to use a sniper rifle and an assault rifle from the get go would not be great from the multiplayer perspective, but look at for example Bioshock Infinite where it was completely detrimental to the experience and could not have made any sense from a design viewpoint. Restricting you to carry one gun of each type would have been more than enough because of the alternate universe versions of the same weapons, but nope, lets brute force a two-gun restriction in here since thats what all the cool games are doing!

I still maintain the two gun limit in BSI could've worked, following the survivalist aspects of the franchise (and its predecessor) and adding some additional tactical choice to the combat, but the rest of the game didn't properly support it. Since every gun has unique ammo, unique upgrades, but limited availability, the whole thing was a mess.

And it's nonsensical because they basically reversed the situation from the original Bioshock; the first let you have all of the guns but only a handful of powers at best, Infinite forcibly gives you all of the powers but leaves you with only two guns. I could've also understood it as a balance thing, but that flies out the window because every single Vigor is pretty overpowered. Yet at the same time, most of the game is designed like a straightforward shooter, with many of the maps laid out more for traditional gunplay than flinging powers around.

I'm honestly starting to wonder if the same thing happened to Infinite that happened to The Bureau. Game taking too long/too much money to develop? Get someone in to compress the working scraps into a safe, risk-free game patterned off of whatever's popular at the moment and shove the thing out the door.

For some actual content, one of the biggest problems with the guns in Infinite are that they're just dreadfully boring. With the exception of some of the Vox guns, I guess (but of course those are the rarest guns, with the most limited availability and ammo). They lack the charm of Bioshock's jury-rigged coffee can grenade launcher or the increasingly absurd steampunk elements slapped onto your guns to upgrade them. Or even just the alternate ammo types like electric freaking buckshot.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 15:41 on Apr 18, 2014

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Croccers posted:

This is exactly why I was as disappointed with it as I was. Black Box NFS games were like playing The Fast and the Furious and we're just as cheesy and stupid fun. Criterion just made Burnout with name brand cars.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

That's most of the reasons why I didn't like BSI. It retains some of its previous games' trappings, with the loot mechanics and the upgradable guns abs the weird psychic powers. And then it all goes wrong somehow. It's too safe and toothless to say anything profound about narrative, and too boring to leave any staying impression. It's just... there.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby

John Murdoch posted:

Bioshock: Infinite
Quite possibly the worst and best thing about Infinite was how powerful Vigors really were. As an experiment, I placed nothing but fully upgraded Crow traps and Electro Bolt traps in the final fight: I promised myself I would only use my magnum to plink at mechanical enemies. I never had to fire a single shot: enemies that ran into the Crow traps died and spawned more Crow traps, the mechanical enemies could barely make it halfway through my electric deathtrap, and Elizabeth did nothing but hurl Salts at me.

I really tried to use and enjoy the guns in that game, but it was just so much easier and faster to just set a billion traps and lure enemies into them. Combined with certain bonuses like getting a bit of Salts back every time you killed an enemy, it became quite possible to run the entire game with base health/shield and a full Salts bar.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I've recently decided to finally try out Myst, and I have to say I love nearly everything about it. It's story intensive and the puzzles are difficult but solvable, I can't believe it took so long for me to play. However, I just can't get on with it's clunky rear end navigation system. It's so easy to get disorientated, accidentally click to left of the screen, did I turn 90 degrees?, 180 degrees? or did I take the left hand path? Click the right in an attempt to return the previous screen and you find yourself on a different screen entirely. I really wish I had bought RealMyst instead now, but I wanted the "authentic" experience. Somebody please tell me Riven (and the rest of the series for that matter) is easier to navigate as there doesn't seem to be a "RealRiven".

edit: Also that loving musical lock.

Tea Bone has a new favorite as of 22:31 on Apr 18, 2014

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tea Bone posted:

I've recently decided to finally try out Myst, and I have to say I love nearly everything about it. It's story intensive and the puzzles are difficult but solvable, I can't believe it took so long for me to play. However, I just can't get on with it's clunky rear end navigation system. It's so easy to get disorientated, accidentally click to left of the screen, did I turn 90 degrees?, 180 degrees? or did I take the left hand path? Click the right in an attempt to return the previous screen and you find yourself on a different screen entirely. I really wish I had bought RealMyst instead now, but I wanted the "authentic" experience. Somebody please tell me Riven (and the rest of the series for that matter) is easier to navigate as there doesn't seem to be a "RealRiven".

Riven has its problems. There are a couple of areas that are a bit BS because things that would be obvious with a continuous screen transition aren't possible to see. In particular, there's once place where you go through a door, and have to turn around and close it in order to see what the opened door is hiding.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
In Castlevania Harmony of Despair, after getting my rear end kicked by Dracula numerous times, I downloaded a dlc so I could get some better weapons. The dlc in question is Orgins which is a remake of the entire first Castlevania, the problem with it though is that every character, save one, is not built on the same scale. This makes a certain section involving some spike traps nearly impossible to get past without the puppet master soul. I have made it through without it before, but it you have to be pretty loving precise.

Mach punch was totally worth it though. Still can't beat that third form though.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Tunicate posted:

Riven has its problems. There are a couple of areas that are a bit BS because things that would be obvious with a continuous screen transition aren't possible to see. In particular, there's once place where you go through a door, and have to turn around and close it in order to see what the opened door is hiding.

That part is hardly BS. Every other door in the game closes behind you, and does it very loudly. You are supposed to notice that something is up when that one doesn't.

That said, Riven has some really crazy leaps in logic that make is frustrating as poo poo without a guide.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Riven makes you work out some weird-rear end mathematical system from scratch and requires you to memorize the sounds of various animals that you only see once. On one hand, very interesting and innovative puzzles. On the other hand, nine-year old me tells you to get hosed Cyan.

The Prima guide was really interesting though. The first half was written from the perspective of the player character as they journeyed through the game instead of just being a rote step-by-step guide (which was the second half).

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

smuh posted:

The Resistance series on the PS3 shoe-horned in a 2 gun system in the second game, which in a game already full of problems, didn't help. The first and third game just let you go buckwild with guns, and were both far better.

Bulletstorm was a really good game, but it being limited to just 4 guns at a time was a stupid idea. Here is a game that would have benefited from carrying every gun at once more then just any game in recent memory, and nope, you get 4, and one of them has to be the assault rifle.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

CitizenKain posted:

Bulletstorm was a really good game, but it being limited to just 4 guns at a time was a stupid idea. Here is a game that would have benefited from carrying every gun at once more then just any game in recent memory, and nope, you get 4, and one of them has to be the assault rifle.

I liked Bulletstorm's limit because it meant that you didn't have to break up the action by going through weapon wheels, and it really isn't terribly restrictive. You can change weapons and get more ammo at any of the exceedingly plentiful droppods, so your loadout is always about what guns you want to use, not what guns you can scavenge ammo for.

I do wish that you could have switched out the AR, but it's function as a fall-back last resort weapon with a shitload of ammo is appreciated.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

kazil posted:

That part is hardly BS. Every other door in the game closes behind you, and does it very loudly. You are supposed to notice that something is up when that one doesn't.
It's BS for the Stranger to conscientiously close every door except the one that has another door behind it? The point of having this type of Ageless-Faceless-Gender-Neutral-Culturally-Ambiguous-Adventure-Person as the protagonist is to add immersion for the player. Having them behave inconsistently during scene transitions in order to deliberately hide information from the player requires you to start treating your POV guy as a malevolent genie for the rest of the game.

Same thing as text games that expect you to go in directions not listed on the 'exits' list, basically (not even secret stuff, things like 'go stairs' instead of 'go north' when the stairs are to the north). I want to play an adventure, not fight a parser.

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 01:54 on Apr 19, 2014

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The Void. Also known as Tension I think.

I absolutely adore this game but at the same time it drags itself down with how relentlessly hard it can be to figure out. The whole void/colour concept is stunning and the designs are amazing and disturbing. Twice though I've had to restart because the game has lied to me and led me into an unwinnable corner and I've been hosed for a few hours before I realise and had to start over. It makes me hate the game but on reflection I think I like it more because of it.

Any other goons played this game? RPS did an amazing write up on it a while back, it's really different but worth checking out if it catches your eye.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
There's a fan-patch that gives The Void difficulty settings, namely making it easier. It was on the Ice Pick Lodge forums but I can't seem to find it right now.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Flipswitch posted:

The Void. Also known as Tension I think.

I absolutely adore this game but at the same time it drags itself down with how relentlessly hard it can be to figure out. The whole void/colour concept is stunning and the designs are amazing and disturbing. Twice though I've had to restart because the game has lied to me and led me into an unwinnable corner and I've been hosed for a few hours before I realise and had to start over. It makes me hate the game but on reflection I think I like it more because of it.

Any other goons played this game? RPS did an amazing write up on it a while back, it's really different but worth checking out if it catches your eye.

Also the gesture recognition is pretty poo poo, I gave up on the game because I wound up irreparably screwed because I wasn't growing enough color thanks to the game never recognizing the gesture for planting trees in the gardens.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CitizenKain posted:

The Resistance series on the PS3 shoe-horned in a 2 gun system in the second game, which in a game already full of problems, didn't help. The first and third game just let you go buckwild with guns, and were both far better.

I think it worked in Bullet Storm because you could always change up whatever you wanted at the drop pods. I just wish the leash thumper hadn't been a consumable. And that you could use the robot Godzilla more than once.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Phlegmish posted:

Realism ruined both racing games and FPS for me. All I want is another Whiplash.

I've been hearing good things about Split/Second in that regard, but apparently it's not on Steam.

Split/Second is pretty fun if you like blowing up really big things as a reward for drifting and stuff. But it gets kind of repetitive after a while because a lot of the tracks are just slight variations on each other.

Won't lie though, I played the hell out of it when it was new and I normally hate most racing games.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Kimmalah posted:

Split/Second is pretty fun if you like blowing up really big things as a reward for drifting and stuff. But it gets kind of repetitive after a while because a lot of the tracks are just slight variations on each other.

Won't lie though, I played the hell out of it when it was new and I normally hate most racing games.

It's got some pretty bad rubberbanding too, but flooring it to just barely drive under a crashing C-130, or past a ship careening out of its drydock, or around a truck spitting explosive barrels out its rear end never gets old.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

ninjahedgehog posted:

It's got some pretty bad rubberbanding too, but flooring it to just barely drive under a crashing C-130, or past a ship careening out of its drydock, or around a truck spitting explosive barrels out its rear end never gets old.

I used to make it a point to crash that plane every chance I had. You can drive right under it as long as you stay under the wing. :)

gently caress now I'm going to have try and find a cheap copy again.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Also the gesture recognition is pretty poo poo, I gave up on the game because I wound up irreparably screwed because I wasn't growing enough color thanks to the game never recognizing the gesture for planting trees in the gardens.
Oh yeah, this too.

Accordion Man posted:

There's a fan-patch that gives The Void difficulty settings, namely making it easier. It was on the Ice Pick Lodge forums but I can't seem to find it right now.
Is there? Not sure I want to check that out or not. I might check it out when I inevitably gently caress myself over next time I play.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Tea Bone posted:

The musical rocket ship nearly loving killed me as a youngling. gently caress that puzzle forever.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Chard posted:

The musical rocket ship nearly loving killed me as a youngling. gently caress that puzzle forever.

That was always my favorite puzzle and I never found it difficult, even as a little kid. I guess it's because I come from a musical family. :shrug:

No, the terrible part in Myst for me is the maze. The worst part about it is that while in every other world if you've already solved all the puzzles you can return back to the main island on a revisit fairly quickly, in this one you still have to go through the maze. Sure you can write down the directions the first time you visit or use a guide, but you still have to go through it. North, North, North, East - wait did I go North two or three times?

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

I want an HD remake of Burnout 3 so bad you guys don't even know :negative:

Yeah, tell me about it. :(

Speaking of Burnout, XBL forgetting that I bought Burnout Paradise. I was in the middle of transferring my old licenses to my current Xbox and reinstalling all of those titles when instead of getting the "Download Again" option, it wanted me to pay $15. And Paradise was the only game this happened to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
The fact that there's not an HD remake of Saints Row 2. If that game controlled, even just decently it would be so, so good.

• Locked thread