Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I am beginning to think that Dan Harmon doesn't have much respect for his employers.

Haven't seen him say anything bad about Adult Swim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

LostRook posted:

Haven't seen him say anything bad about Adult Swim.

I think the most concise explanation is that he has plenty of respect for employers that respect him.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Batmasterson posted:

I guess I'm in the minority again liking this episode... but at least we all liked the tag. That was incredible.

I enjoyed it as well. There are episodes that have been funnier overall, but I still found the episode enjoyable overall and got a good laugh out of several of the jokes anyway.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

This episode was great. I didn't really like the last one, but maybe I'll rewatch it to see if it's better for me on the second go-round.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I liked it, but i'm really tired of Chang.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Yeah, those last two episodes were sort of meh. They had their moments (like the end of this one) but overall a little too meta and they felt a little too tired. This season had some great episodes, but the show itself seems running out of steam, like in the title song. Though NBC has nothing to replace it with, I have serious doubts as to whether Harmon and the other writers can come up with more than one or two good episodes for another 13 episode season, assuming the show is renewed (doesn't seem likely at this point).

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)
Wow... that episode was stunningly half-assed. It's the same kind of half-assed winking meta "I don't know how to end this so here's a dance party" ending they just used on Rick & Morty except it worked better on the cartoon.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

That was some episode of Scooby Doo.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Brock Samson posted:

That was some episode of Scooby Doo.

It was The Goonies, you illiterate jackanape.

They should have had Cyndi Lauper on like Bob's Burgers did, though.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I think Dan Harmon and the rest of the writers desperately wish that Yvette Nichole Brown had left instead of Donald Glover and spent a significant portion of the season passive-aggressively telling her so.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I liked that episode a lot. The gang shhhh-ing each other owned.

Also, the meta parts of the plot last week fell flat, but them finding a Dan Harmon stand-in in the basement is hilarious, especially that Subway would run away from a done-deal rather than work with him.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I loved the picture of Richard Ayoade hanging in the background and that the computer's name was Boobatron.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I think Dan Harmon and the rest of the writers desperately wish that Yvette Nichole Brown had left instead of Donald Glover and spent a significant portion of the season passive-aggressively telling her so.

For real. Shirley is such a fifth wheel in this cast, and not because Yvette can't do it, just because they have zero idea how to write a decent characterisation or plot for her.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

That's not really how contracts work. They're allowed to write her off the show whenever they want.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I watched co-operative calligraphy this morning [I'll make yo rear end sense] and Shirley's lack of screentime this season is my #1 complaint with it.

Otherwise it's been a blast and, if this is the series finale, it's the most satisfying I've ever seen.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

If your a college/university student, I'm sure you're familiar with this site.

Rate My Professors for Greendale Community College: http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/SelectTeacher.jsp?sid=15569

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I hated that. :smith: There was one or two funny lines, but otherwise that poo poo was season 4 quality. Like if those writers had Abed literally look at the camera like that, people would have been soooo mad.

mclast posted:

I watched co-operative calligraphy this morning [I'll make yo rear end sense] and Shirley's lack of screentime this season is my #1 complaint with it.
They've definitely underutilised her (although she was hilarious in the episode with the textbook stash), but I also haven't really liked anything they've done with Annie this season. They made a thing of trying to have her be more grown up (by screaming less and...wearing pants?), but they've also made her more boring and not done anything with the positive aspects of her character (being nice, being super helpful, etc.) save for her vague organisation of the committee.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
There was some funny moments, I actually did like this episode. Some parts fell flat but I still like this show and hope it comes back.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

VagueRant posted:

They've definitely underutilised her (although she was hilarious in the episode with the textbook stash), but I also haven't really liked anything they've done with Annie this season. They made a thing of trying to have her be more grown up (by screaming less and...wearing pants?), but they've also made her more boring and not done anything with the positive aspects of her character (being nice, being super helpful, etc.) save for her vague organisation of the committee.

That's an interesting point, I have to think about how I feel about that.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

mclast posted:

That's an interesting point, I have to think about how I feel about that.

Penny for your thoughts.

Pyzza Rouge fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 18, 2014

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

ACB - Ancient Cash Bundle

BAC - Britta's Abrupt Cancellation

CBA - Carnage By Asteroid

Or is the running gag basically over?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I felt like last week was a throw-back, or good-bye, to the early days of the show and this one was the same for the later, wackier period.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Lord Krangdar posted:

I felt like last week was a throw-back, or good-bye, to the early days of the show and this one was the same for the later, wackier period.

That actually makes a ton of sense.

I thought this episode was a ton of fun and the Asteroid-canon line killed me as a big "gently caress you". The episode in general was pretty backloaded, I really liked the chang's "I think I'm just mentally ill" & teeth stuff, and the insane/psychic school board guy.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Man I haven't finished the episode and I haven't read the thread but man Chang is such a piece of poo poo. Very disappointed the writers took this direction with him.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I loved that episode. It was just balls out "we don't give a poo poo" wackiness start to finish. I think I got the biggest laugh right at the end when Abed fixes Britta's thumbs up. Not my favorite finale, but I was pretty drat happy with it.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

No Troy callbacks though.
I guess he died at the hands of the pirates.

Edit: Oh, and no Gary Oldman. All those "EVVEEERRYYYY*" were for naught.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Apr 18, 2014

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think it was as good as last week's but I thought it was pretty funny. (the asteroid line is fantastic and I found the gags with the door music way funnier than I should have). Still bummed about Shirley, though. Season 6 needs to pair her with Jeff again because that always works for some reason.

And yeah, the lack of a callback to The Professional is really weird. They did three separate references to that line over three different episodes. I was hoping there was some explanation.

e: http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/season-finale-review-community-basic-sandwich-save-greendale-save-the-world

quote:

Related: I interviewed John Oliver for his upcoming HBO show (look for that near the end of the month), and asked if he'd be willing and/or able to do more "Community" if the show gets renewed. He said he'd really like to, assuming they can make the schedules work. (He wasn't in season 3 because it was a presidential election year, which consumed all his "Daily Show" time, and wasn't in season 4 because he had no interest in doing the show without Dan Harmon.)

Arist fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Apr 18, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Well, it was better than last week's episode. I enjoyed the frivolity of it, but, like most of season 5, it lacks the sharp characterization of the first three seasons. At least it answers the question of what happens at the end of one of Harmon's ridiculous story wheels: nothing, because he never made it this far before.

mcbexx posted:

No Troy callbacks though.

A real shame, that.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

MrAristocrates posted:

Season 6 needs to pair her with Jeff again because that always works for some reason.

It's called chemistry. Jeff has it with everyone.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Frostwerks posted:

It's called chemistry. Jeff has it with everyone.

Hell, if I was a creepy shipper there were some weird moments between him and Dean that I could have latched onto in this episode.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
I think this was one of the better season finales, heavy on the wackiness and sentimentality but a pretty satisfying ending.

On the other hand it's strange that the entire season boiled down to nothing more than "we're still here." The obvious question, what for, was brought up in the episode, but no one seems to have an answer. Is it just to prove the network executives and critics wrong?

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I'm not so hot on these last two. The tone was just so, so off. Everything felt rushed but at the same time in the individual scenes it felt like they weren't getting anywhere. It was like Harmon was itching to say something and his own show could be damned, because he was ganna say it.

Now, given all that, "Depends on What Fails" was an incredible burn and worth it all.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

XboxPants posted:

Hell, if I was a creepy shipper there were some weird moments between him and Dean that I could have latched onto in this episode.

Something always brings me back to you...

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
Haven't seen the episode yet, but I wonder if the lack of sharp characterization is really the result of the shorter seasons. I rewatched 1 and 2 recently and they're really good, but they have lots of time to comfortably just sit in with the chaacters, these abbreviated seasons on the other hand don't have that luxury.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

BreakAtmo posted:

ACB - Ancient Cash Bundle

BAC - Britta's Abrupt Cancellation

CBA - Carnage By Asteroid

Or is the running gag basically over?

It was over 11 episodes ago...

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mexcillent posted:

Haven't seen the episode yet, but I wonder if the lack of sharp characterization is really the result of the shorter seasons.

Nope, its just bad writing. The shorter season didn't force Harmon to write a bunch of tedious theme episodes with poor characterization. He chose to do that himself.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Brocktoon posted:

It was over 11 episodes ago...

Might wanna let whoever made the individual titles for all 11 of those episodes know that, then.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Irish Joe posted:

Nope, its just bad writing. The shorter season didn't force Harmon to write a bunch of tedious theme episodes with poor characterization. He chose to do that himself.

I would say the last two weren't particularly theme-y (if by that you mean were genre episodes) and were easily the weakest of the season.

This episode does reek of Harmon disappearing up his own butt though - look at the way the dude says "I'm the credited writer" on this episode's behind the takes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMKJytp3mU4

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 18, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Calico Heart posted:

I would say the last two weren't particularly theme-y (if by that you mean were genre episodes) and were easily the weakest of the season.

They were weak because they relied on the metaplot of "let's save Greendale" which aside from the first episode and the episode with the trading favors wasn't really a central part of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Calico Heart posted:

look at the way the dude says "I'm the credited writer" on this episode's behind the takes.

I'm not sure what your issue with this is. Harmon's made it pretty clear in the past that the writing is collaborative, and that just because a particular writer has their name on the script doesn't mean that there isn't ideas and lines from multiple writers.

Also, Ryan Ridley is loving awesome. In addition to writing some of the best Channel 101 shows, he also wrote 2 of the best episode of Rick and Morty this season.

• Locked thread