Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Wolfsheim posted:

I kinda agree with this, though SR2 is still probably my favorite, and that game really just took the design philosophies that made San Andreas great (big open world filled with secrets, crazy customization and random fun stuff to do) a few steps further and dropped the serious storyline about respecting your family in the hood or whatever.

Ideally, the next Saint's Row should combine the customization of SR2 with the over-the-top humor of the later games. The next game should try to do more with customizable cribs and vehicles. Have the vehicle customization include upgrades to turn your cars into Batmobiles and James Bond-style supercars. As for the cribs, maybe have one central hub like the ship in SR4, but with greater customization to add furniture and stripper poles to everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Yeah I missed Crib Customization from 2 and 3. Seeing my cribs destroyed in 4 and never being able to fix them always bugged me.

What would be cool is if they adopted Crackdown's transforming cars and repurposed it for vehicle customization. You go to a Rim Jobs and select a car model. Make your selections on whatever stats you want or switch out different parts and then save your preferences. The next time you carjack somebody the car transforms per your specifications.

Cars kinda feel pointless now that I can run everywhere but something like that could encourage using them even late game.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Wolfsheim posted:

Heh, that was going to be my response, word-for-word. Didn't it sell literally the most copies of any video game in history and get a stream of 10/10 reviews?

Maybe he means GTA Online.

He could also be mixing it up with the reception around SA. The shine wore off on GTA V really quickly, and opinions drifted from 'oh my god I can do all of these things that's awesome' to 'this game's actually really offensive and doesn't like me playing my way'.

It was a huge initial hit, but at least around here that didn't last long at all.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Honestly I wouldn't mind if the next SR (reboot or otherwise) was a bit more grounded (i.e. you'd need planes/choppers to take to the air again) but of course that'd have to go with the proviso that the open world was as fleshed out as Stilwater was.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
The superpowers only exist inside the simulation so unless the sequel/reboot occurs in a simulation I don't think it's too likely that they'll make it into the base gameplay of the next game.

Knowing SR though there would almost certainly be VR missions where you regain the powers, much like SR4 referenced the VR segments of SR3.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Cleretic posted:

He could also be mixing it up with the reception around SA. The shine wore off on GTA V really quickly, and opinions drifted from 'oh my god I can do all of these things that's awesome' to 'this game's actually really offensive and doesn't like me playing my way'.

It was a huge initial hit, but at least around here that didn't last long at all.

"Here" is not the majority by a long shot though. GTA5 was received very very well and this is basically "well none of my friends liked it so i guess it wasn't a hit" logic.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

RagnarokAngel posted:

"Here" is not the majority by a long shot though. GTA5 was received very very well and this is basically "well none of my friends liked it so i guess it wasn't a hit" logic.

Yeah, but I'm just saying it from that point of view. SA is where I get most of my gaming recommendations, but we're generally a lot more analytical and harsh on games that don't meet specific standards. GTAV might have been a strong complete package, but in the eyes of SA a single big flaw is unforgivable.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, but I'm just saying it from that point of view. SA is where I get most of my gaming recommendations, but we're generally a lot more analytical and harsh on games that don't meet specific standards. GTAV might have been a strong complete package, but in the eyes of SA a single big flaw is unforgivable.

If there is one thing I have learned from SA it is that there is no such thing as a consensus opinion on any subject. I imagine there is just as large a proportion of people on this forum who loved GTAV as didn't, and another significant portion who played it but are indifferent about it.

Meanwhile I'm still waiting for a PC release :sigh:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I hope the next Saints Row game is a kind of Farscape feel to it if you tossed it in a blender with Star Trek, Mass Effect, vodka and Saints Flow.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Well poo poo if that's what you want how about they just make some Lexx videogames.

...please do this.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Action Tortoise posted:

Yeah I missed Crib Customization from 2 and 3.

There's no crib customisation in 3.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Light Gun Man posted:

Well poo poo if that's what you want how about they just make some Lexx videogames.

...please do this.

A bunch of amoral malcontents flitting about the cosmos aimlessly causing death and destruction to anyone and anything in their path inadvertently or otherwise?

Sounds about right.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I just want something like SR2 but bigger and better. :smith:

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ya if anything saints row is known for is fun minigames and ridiculous campaign missions in an open world with coop.

As long as I can still hop in the world and play a random minigame with a friend I'll keep buying em.

Any word on the modding scene?

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Would anyone happen to have a rewards list for gentlemen of the row?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Action Tortoise posted:

What would be cool is if they adopted Crackdown's transforming cars and repurposed it for vehicle customization. You go to a Rim Jobs and select a car model. Make your selections on whatever stats you want or switch out different parts and then save your preferences. The next time you carjack somebody the car transforms per your specifications.

I completely for about this, that would be loving awesome.

And while we're at it, bring back the harpoon gun. Or... I don't know, the lamp pole spear impale thing from that Ultimate Destruction Hulk game.

I really like impaling people. Especially to my car. :q:

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Action Tortoise posted:

I'm totally for this, if ONLY because that was one of my favorite 'gimmicks' about Crackdown, and it's loss in the sequel was just one of many signs of it's failure in comparison.

Plus, who DOESN'T like transforming cars. I mean, come on, give us the MiB car or something of that sort.

IdolNinja
Mar 7, 2011

It's our time now!
Let's get this shit started!

ColoradoCleric posted:

Would anyone happen to have a rewards list for gentlemen of the row?

Check the reference subfolder for a text file with a complete unlock list for GotR.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I hope the next game they make is Freespace 3. :sigh:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Blattdorf posted:

I hope the next game they make is Freespace 3. :sigh:

Not a chance.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I'm pretty sure Freespace 3 would be a poor sequel and would ruin a lot of what has made the Freespace series so popular and beloved for all these years.

And Blue Planet is a good sequel anyways.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I spent the past week or so binging on this game. Holy poo poo it's amazing.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
It's even more awesome if you import Arino (Kancho). :allears:

That's what started my play-through again. Damnit, I have other games to play!

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

RadicalR posted:

It's even more awesome if you import Arino (Kancho). :allears:

That's what started my play-through again. Damnit, I have other games to play!

Is there a Japanese dub of the voice acting? If I'm going to play as the Kacho I need the Boss screaming "ABUNAI" when poo poo goes down.

What DLC should I get for this game? I have Enter the Dominatrix and How The Saints Save Christmas, is there anything else worth getting?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Segmentation Fault posted:

Is there a Japanese dub of the voice acting? If I'm going to play as the Kacho I need the Boss screaming "ABUNAI" when poo poo goes down.

What DLC should I get for this game? I have Enter the Dominatrix and How The Saints Save Christmas, is there anything else worth getting?

Presumably he's talking about this. The characters used have been uploaded to the character downloading thing. :allears:

Personally I'm fond of the pack that comes with 'MERICA because that is a pretty fun gun to play with.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Personally I got the season pass and felt I got value for money there, but I'll wait for the rest to be released as a low-cost bundle.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Is there a Japanese dub of the voice acting?

The Japanese version is - as with all the previous games - sub only. According to pre-release advertising it also has mosaic-free nudity which I honestly think is a bad idea.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
The game just went on sale for $13.59 on Steam, for those who haven't gotten around to it yet.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Also the season pass / DLC is massively discounted, so you have until the 21st according to Major Nelson.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

How The Saints Saved Christmas appears to still be full price, but it is included in the season pass which IS discounted.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Franchise Pack looks like it's actually not the best deal. You can buy SR2, SR4 and SR3 The Full Package for less than the Franchise Pack, and The Full Package seems to have a better selection of SR3 DLC (Genkibowl included and Bloodsucker not).

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Just got the season pass, and as with all Xbox season passes, the content has hilariously misleading descriptions that could lead you to never gaining access to the content.

The two DLC packs (dominatrix and Xmas) have descriptions that say "Do not download this here or you will be charged again" which I think is true of the marketplace. However it displays exactly the same message on the in-game menus.

Basically the way I did it was to buy the season pass from the dashboard, load the game, go to DLC menu > season pass content > download the packs from there checking that the popup now lists them as free.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I grabbed all the DLC packs I don't have because most are a dollar or less. Save the Presidential pack. I have a feeling the Washington outfit is a full suit rather that a piece meal affair.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Buying the Superhero outfit pack was the best decision I ever made.

Seriously? 3.69 for the season pack? Hello Saints Row, I am loving back.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
My friend randomly crashes at very specific points (always the same location in the second mission). The "crash" is just his computer rebooting, which is kinda strange. Anyone else have this problem?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

El Tortuga posted:

Buying the Superhero outfit pack was the best decision I ever made.

Seriously? 3.69 for the season pack? Hello Saints Row, I am loving back.

$3.69? drat, so fine.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

$3.69? drat, so fine.

I think it really might've been 3.61, but sheer instinct cause me to put a 9 instead.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

El Tortuga posted:

I think it really might've been 3.61, but sheer instinct cause me to put a 9 instead.

Don't ruin the joke.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

That's my point! My brain is incapable of not concluding 36 with a 9 now. It's... so fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Where's the best place to play Saints Save Christmas and ETD in the campaign? I'm brand new to SRIV here. If it doesn't matter when you do them, that's fine too.

• Locked thread