Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah the job system lacks any personality or depth, either. Many jobs are straight upgrades over older ones (Something the DS tried to fix and didn't do so well at) and you cant set sub abilities so gimmicky jobs like Scholar get ignored. There's no reason not to go 2 ninja and 2 sages. FF5 and Tactics has some jobs that are objectively better than others but you can still have a lot of fun with customization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ManOfTheYear posted:

Alright what the gently caress

I'm on fayth Scar in X-2 i n chapter two and I'm on the map where on the upper right corner the wind blows ans YRP go like "It's a suicide" and I can't go forward. However, i can't leave the map.

I. Can't. Leave.

what the gently caress, did the game bug out or something? Where do i leave?

What do you mean you can't leave? Where are you stuck at more specifically?

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

What do you mean you can't leave? Where are you stuck at more specifically?

On upper right there is you can climb up and you get the "This is suicide" cutscene, there's a cave before it where is a treasure chest on top of a square boulder, in the middle of the map there is a way down where you come in and on the left there are two floating rocks with a treasure chest. You have to walk to the chest, otherwise it will float higher and you can't reach it.

And there's no way to exit. I think on the previous map there is a save point and the hot springs are on the right.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ManOfTheYear posted:

On upper right there is you can climb up and you get the "This is suicide" cutscene, there's a cave before it where is a treasure chest on top of a square boulder, in the middle of the map there is a way down where you come in and on the left there are two floating rocks with a treasure chest. You have to walk to the chest, otherwise it will float higher and you can't reach it.

And there's no way to exit. I think on the previous map there is a save point and the hot springs are on the right.

If it's the place I'm thinking of there should be a hole near where you got that cutscene which you have to walk through and that should trigger another cutscene.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Rirse posted:

Well at least with Final Fantasy III being on the PC means people can probably make mods for it to fix the difficulty hopefully. Maybe also figure out a way to add "save anywhere" or at least a save point in the final dungeon.

It was possible to permanently save anywhere in the DS version if you had a way of enabling cheats. You'd be surprised how many older games could actually let you save anywhere, and not just at designated save points, if you disabled whatever prevented you from saving. For instance, Metroid II on the Game Boy had a few dozen save points, but by pressing the start button again a certain amount of time after saving, it would save your new location. You could keep this up as long as you didn't screw up the timing.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Sunning posted:

Anyway, I figured people would be interested in this article on Eurogamer.

Thanks. Things like this help me pretend that they're learning from past mistakes.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Coughing Hobo posted:

In FFXIV, the final boss of the game's only 24-man raid, the Crystal Tower, uses a :krad: orchestration of this theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs9-xbJYYKM

All of XIV's music is excellent.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just remembered I'm all the way up to sin in ffx and I've had the minimap turned off since kilika. Haha navigating some areas has been kind of dumb.

Worth it though. It's bad enough the game is corridors 1.0 but even worse when every minimap screams to tell you where to go. I miss just having an icon for where you entered the field...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

neongrey posted:

There's not a lot of only-English-speakers who've played both but of those who have I'm prettttttty sure the universal consensus is that the NES version is better in literally every possible way-- including being less obtusely difficult, and when I say that realize that the NES version has the longest gap in the series between the last possible save and the final boss, and this includes six mandatory boss fights on the way.

And yeah the NES version's music is great, if you like NES music. The DS fucks even that up.

Having played the NES version I will say this is true. Even though the NES version itself is also pretty seriously hosed. At least with FF2 you could just grind (or level Toad) to get through any difficult poo poo, plus it had the skill powerleveling bug so you could have characters running around with level 16 spells and weapon skills at the start of the game if you really wanted to. And you did, because it was a terrible game. But not as terrible as FF3DS which doesn't have useful bugs to exploit. FF2's remake is also terrible but still better than FF3 and less grindy though they removed the useful powerleveling bugs. Toad still wrecks everything and you can play a minigame to get infinite Masamunes and Genji gear once you max Toad and have the Ice Sled.

FF3 NES >= FF2 remake > FF2 NES > death by belt sander and hydrogen peroxide > FF3 DS

He worked on bomberman back in the day as well? :swoon:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
So, what's the deal here? I'm doing the Remiem Temple challenges, but after I beat Bahamut, Belgemine stops getting new summons. How do I get her to progress so I can get the Magus Sisters?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So, what's the deal here? I'm doing the Remiem Temple challenges, but after I beat Bahamut, Belgemine stops getting new summons. How do I get her to progress so I can get the Magus Sisters?

You need to earn the other summons if you don't have them, she only gets them once you've got them.

FF3DS is so very, very bad. In fact, its worse than the mobile phone version ported to every other system because loving Mognet or whatever the mail system was called is still active in that poo poo show.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Barudak posted:

You need to earn the other summons if you don't have them, she only gets them once you've got them.

FF3DS is so very, very bad. In fact, its worse than the mobile phone version ported to every other system because loving Mognet or whatever the mail system was called is still active in that poo poo show.

But I HAVE Anima. I used it to beat her Bahamut.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Do you also have Yojimbo and the Magus Sisters? Because if you have all of them and she's still not letting you fight more things not sure what to tell you.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Barudak posted:

Do you also have Yojimbo and the Magus Sisters? Because if you have all of them and she's still not letting you fight more things not sure what to tell you.

Oh right. Fuckin' Yojimbo.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

You need to get Yojimbo, and fight her Yojimbo, before she'll ever offer to have you fight her Anima.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

That loving Sned posted:

It was possible to permanently save anywhere in the DS version if you had a way of enabling cheats. You'd be surprised how many older games could actually let you save anywhere, and not just at designated save points, if you disabled whatever prevented you from saving. For instance, Metroid II on the Game Boy had a few dozen save points, but by pressing the start button again a certain amount of time after saving, it would save your new location. You could keep this up as long as you didn't screw up the timing.

Oh cool. Even if a mod doesn't get made, someone probably can get Cheat Engine to enable this on the PC version.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

If it's the place I'm thinking of there should be a hole near where you got that cutscene which you have to walk through and that should trigger another cutscene.

I'm starting to suspect the game really just clitches out, I've found no way out of the place. I restarted the game and tried again, but gotten same results. There is a cliff nearby where you fall to the hot spring on the uniform retrieving mission, but if you go to that place again after the mission, you're stuck.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
Where's the best place to grind before omega? I think the omega ruins are a little bit strong for my party :/

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Do auron's sidequest, poof instant spheres and levels

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

That ffx iv write up was really interesting. Could someone explain why and how ffx iv original was bad, and what arr did to make it better? I've never played an mmo before and all the positive things I've heard about it makes me interested to give the reboot a shot

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Occupation posted:

That ffx iv write up was really interesting. Could someone explain why and how ffx iv original was bad, and what arr did to make it better? I've never played an mmo before and all the positive things I've heard about it makes me interested to give the reboot a shot

First and foremost: it was unfinished. There was literally no endgame, and even a lot of the midgame was nonexistent.

Second, it was horrendously unoptimized. Didn't matter what you had for hardware, you were lucky to get over 30FPS consistently unless you were staring at a wall.

Third, interface lag. Every single action you took had to be sent to the server, and then sent back, meaning at least a second (on good days; typical interface latency was closer to 2-3 seconds) between you selecting something and it happening.

Fourth, artificial limits on playtime. Your experience gains would slowly decay from a maximum of 200% to 25% in about six hours? I'm a little fuzzy on these details other than that it "encouraged" you to change classes semi-frequently.

Fifth, separation of physical level and class level. I still don't loving understand how it worked.

There's more... a lot more, but those are some of the bigger pillars of failure that FFXIV 1.0 rested upon.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The guy who designed the original also worked on FFXI, also known as the FF game that got on the news for being too hard. Among other things, he was famous for believing that MMORPG players should have as difficult a time playing the game as possible.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
If you're going to make a game that hates the player, you should at least go out of the way to be a dick about it.

Like in FF3 if you walk too far north on the World Map you just keel over and die. Hope you saved earlier!

That was hilarious.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Occupation posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1n7dfv/then_now_analysis_of_the_most_upvoted_complaint/

This is how the game looked with the lowest possible graphics settings.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'll try to sum it up.

FFXIV was as convoluted mess. It was strange too, because it wasn't like they hadn't kept a fairly successful pre-WOW mmo going for the last 9 years before this.

Graphic quality was WAY overpowered for PCs at the time, and didn't even look that good. Like a weird inconsistent art direction. See the reference about 1000 polygon flowerpots. Jesus christ.

Cities were divided heavily into zones, and you could be in these weird phase-servers. You could see your friend outside the gates, but couldn't interact with them unless they slipped into your "server". There were like, four NPCs in each town. Completely dead and barren. loving WEIRD.

90% of the terrain outside the cities was copy-pasted trash. You couldn't jump, which is some old school EQ poo poo and a terrible way to limit your ability to travel.

EXP was SLOW and boring as gently caress. Auto attack was your go-to ability,My bad. You had NO auto-attack. You have to click an action every single time you wanted to attack. For MMOs, this is BADDDDD. Not only that, but you were capped to only leveling with quests 8x a day. Then you had to grind monsters instead. Hard monsters that you could barely kill if you wanted to.

Here's the copy and pasted terrain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La9nLBfH44c

Not to mention, look at the exciting maps:

I found a dorky video of a guy reviewing it (who looks like joseph gordon levitt) and he covers it pretty well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03Wz-dKGifM&t=53s

To sum up:

-Sheathing/Unsheathing your weapon canceled auto run
-You had to open your menu to return to your homepoint after you died, it didn't automatically come up.
-No Auto-attack. Your only attacks were your skills.
-Monster design made everything you fight look like it was 1 foot tall
-EXP from fighting was extremely slim. In the video he demonstrates it takes him 13 kills to get 250 exp, from even-level mobs he can actually kill.
-Difficult to determine the strength of mobs. Super high level mobs hang out right next to low level mobs.
-UI and game latency are enormous. Click on NPC to open menu, click buy, wait, buy menu opens, see that the dude sells 5 weapons.
-To zone into certain zones (like the Bazaar) you had to enter the "zoning area" and open your menu and choose to zone.
-Early in Beta and 1.0, Tanaka took a cue and said "hey, players like bazaars, lets just do that," and dumped hundreds of NPCs with no organization in the bazaar markets. No Auction house, no ability to search for items you want.
-Terrain was copy/pasted, and the maps were very misleading in scale and size.
-Can't jump, creating 'terrain' herding.
-When you went to change equipment (like your weapon) it shows you your entire equipment inventory, so your rings and boots show up in the equipment selection list for your weapon.
-Finally, the engine was so poorly optimized and lovely that you could only load in 20 players at a time. Like, talk about making ANY environment look dead.

I've played FFXIV a realm reborn a little since it came out. I wish I had more time for it, because its a gorgeous game that oozes charm. It's basically FFXI 2.0, in the best possible way. The art is beautiful, the dialog is loving full of innuendo, and the combat system is a blast. Everything is great. Definitely my top MMO.

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Apr 19, 2014

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The one standout complaint I remember that showed how little thought was put into the design was that the auction house/bazaar didn't allow you to search for the item(s) you wanted.

You visit each individual dude and flip through their wares.

Seriously.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

From what I've read from people who played 1.0, the only thing that 1.0 did better was that the cutscenes had better direction.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
One thing to note about FFXIV 1.0's rushed release is that there was strong internal pressure to release it as soon as possible. With key titles being constantly delayed, Wada was under pressure to deliver games on time. In an investors report, he promised to release two major Final Fantasy titles in the same year.

So he had FFXIII released in Western territories and FFXIV released worldwide in the same calendar year. Yoshida and many others didn't think the game was ready for release, especially with its technical performance. He also said that they could have avoided much of the backlash and financial failure if they just extended the beta into what would become 2.0. They even issued destruction credit for FFXIV 1.0 (to prevent a cheap way to buy into 2.0 legacy features) which was nearly unheard of in retail.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ManOfTheYear posted:

I'm starting to suspect the game really just clitches out, I've found no way out of the place. I restarted the game and tried again, but gotten same results. There is a cliff nearby where you fall to the hot spring on the uniform retrieving mission, but if you go to that place again after the mission, you're stuck.

Yeah that's definitely a glitch. You shouldn't be able to get to that area immediately after you get the uniform because you fight Ormi and automatically return to the airship after the fight.

Edit: I'm dumb, you already said after that

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 19, 2014

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

Where's the best place to grind before omega? I think the omega ruins are a little bit strong for my party :/

I've kinda been in that position, so I did some sidequest stuff (got 4/7 celestials), did some monster catching, and did a bit of grinding in the Zanarkand dome just because I was trying to get Defender Z to drop some Lv 3 Key Spheres. I really needed just one, couldn't get it, so I said gently caress it and did the initial Sin battles and gained like 20 sphere levels, between overkilling one of the bosses and stuff. Plus, one of the fins and the Sin fight prior to entering Sin drops the key sphere I wanted.

I'd say go do that. I plan on catching some monsters in Sin, going back to the airship, and then hitting up the Omega Ruins again.

I'm debating actually going for at least one of the full sphere grid trophies. I've got Kimahri, Rikku, and Wakka all at the start of Auron's path together, so I've got a decent place to start filling up empty nodes, if I can get the spheres to do it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I got 0.0 seconds on Catcher Chocobo and I still got the Sun Sigil. Did they change that?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

MrAristocrates posted:

I got 0.0 seconds on Catcher Chocobo and I still got the Sun Sigil. Did they change that?

While technically you need to get less than 0.0.0, it doesn't show going negative, if I recall. So if you just happen to end up with exactly 0.0.0 you won't get it, but if you get below that it'll show 0.0.0 but you will get it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Schwartzcough posted:

While technically you need to get less than 0.0.0, it doesn't show going negative, if I recall. So if you just happen to end up with exactly 0.0.0 you won't get it, but if you get below that it'll show 0.0.0 but you will get it.

That's correct, and a major cock tease if you get exactly 0.0.0.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Alright, I can do this. I'm gonna dodge lightning bolts. Honestly after that Chocobo business, this shouldn't be too hard.

*ten minutes later*

gently caress this. gently caress it, no. gently caress it I am not--I am NOT, I am sorry Lulu but I am not degrading myself enough to do this tedious loving bullshit and god drat it even when I press X I get zapped so gently caress it and gently caress you FFX

gently caress

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I stopped using Lulu once I hit the calm lands and realized that Yuna had a DOUBLE Lulu's magic power.

It wasn't like I was doing anything fancy either, just sending Yuna down her white mage path and Lulu down her black Mage. Maybe the expert sphere grid hosed me?

The summoner shouldn't be critting flans for 4600 when the black Mage can only manage 1300.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Yuna just innately has better magic power. Its hilarious with the expert grid since you can dabble in some black magic and still be better at it.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Around bikanel is when Yuna starts to be my Black Mage. I send lulu to get the Ga spells as soon as possible. and use that sphere that lets you copy someone's ability. give Yuna a few Ga spells, and I'm set. Lulu is great early on, but around bikanel is when I bench her.

It's not the expert sphere grid. Yuna just has a better path for magic

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lulu is basically the second tier below Kimhari in terms of characters who get outdated quickly. She lacks unique attributes once other people start getting magic and her overdrive is probably the worst in the game.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Lulu is basically the second tier below Kimhari in terms of characters who get outdated quickly. She lacks unique attributes once other people start getting magic and her overdrive is probably the worst in the game.

Unless you Mix Trio of 9999, then its the best, at least until youre breaking the damage cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Unless you Mix Trio of 9999, then its the best, at least until youre breaking the damage cap.

Even then, by the time you're at that point the only thing Lulu's good for is tanking hits because for whatever reason she has the highest defense in the game.
EDIT: My bad, I got mixed up haha.

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 19, 2014