Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

krispykremessuck posted:

Enjoy it tonight, you pay for it tomorrow.

Eh, they got most of it out today from what I can tell. Regardless, I've got a few months left and I'm out. of here at least.

edit: I think that's been one of the most shocking things to me, surprisingly, just regarding the way officers handle themselves when behind closed doors. It's no surprise to anyone that there are lovely people of all pay grades, but at least when I was enlisted, I never saw officers bickering and bitching to each other in public at least. I remember my first Officers call where people actually disagreed on poo poo, and I immediately thought "Hmm, thought people would be a bit more mature and handle things differently...nope, everyone's dick waving and yelling at each other and NOTHING is getting solved. loving awesome."

nwin fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

nwin posted:

Eh, they got most of it out today from what I can tell. Regardless, I've got a few months left and I'm out. of here at least.

edit: I think that's been one of the most shocking things to me, surprisingly, just regarding the way officers handle themselves when behind closed doors. It's no surprise to anyone that there are lovely people of all pay grades, but at least when I was enlisted, I never saw officers bickering and bitching to each other in public at least. I remember my first Officers call where people actually disagreed on poo poo, and I immediately thought "Hmm, thought people would be a bit more mature and handle things differently...nope, everyone's dick waving and yelling at each other and NOTHING is getting solved. loving awesome."

Appearances.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Agreed...except for the M world, appearances are often blurred when they shouldn't be. It's great.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
God I love April. Its my most favorite month of the year. I get bombarded with a presentation on rape by my prepubescent ENS who has admittedly never seen a vagina. Get to spend four hours listening to how myself and any other person born with a penis is one beer away from being a serial rapist. Now I hear we are going to have a mandatory stand down about the evils of rape culture and how when me and my wife have consensual drunk sex I'm now guilty of rape. All while in B-2 so I can't drink.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Melthir posted:

God I love April. Its my most favorite month of the year. I get bombarded with a presentation on rape by my prepubescent ENS who has admittedly never seen a vagina. Get to spend four hours listening to how myself and any other person born with a penis is one beer away from being a serial rapist. Now I hear we are going to have a mandatory stand down about the evils of rape culture and how when me and my wife have consensual drunk sex I'm now guilty of rape. All while in B-2 so I can't drink.

not worth it :shobon:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Melthir posted:

Pffft amateur, I get called a serial rapist on the basis that I have the gall to grow a moustache. :smug:

Also we are going to Puerto Rico, guess what is the drinking age in Puerto Rico and who cannot drink over there due to the new policy!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ElMaligno posted:

Pffft amateur, I get called a serial rapist on the basis that I have the gall to grow a moustache. :smug:

Also we are going to Puerto Rico, guess what is the drinking age in Puerto Rico and who cannot drink over there due to the new policy!

Yeah, I saw that. So is it basically if you travel there on personal leave, then you can drink. But if it's a port call-then no?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

nwin posted:

Yeah, I saw that. So is it basically if you travel there on personal leave, then you can drink. But if it's a port call-then no?

Yes, but if you are stationed in Puerto Rico and you are 18 you cant drink. So if you are a 18-20 year old Puerto Rican who got stationed in Puerto Rico you cannot longer(legaly) drink alcohol under the new Coast Guard rules. The reasoning comes from a couple of surveys, one whiche states "among active duty military personnel, revealed, among other things, that Coast Guard members drink more than DoD Service members and civilians in all age categories, except for the 40 years and older age cohort." wich is pretty hilarious if true.

This is the lovely part:

quote:

What was the purpose of establishing alcohol and military duty standards?
There was no servicewide standard that supported the definition of responsible drinking. Instituting servicewide standards consolidates existing operational policies and establishes a servicewide minimum standard. The guidelines reinforce minimum periods of abstinence in policy to ensure fitness for duty where violations constitute grounds for an alcohol incident. Commands and members should consult the references below for their community. The policies referenced to establish this servicewide policy were:
Coast Guard Air Operations Manual, COMDTINST M3710.1 (series);
Coast Guard Boat Operations & Training (BOAT) Manual, COMDTINST M16114 (series); and
Shipboard Regulations Manual, COMDTINST M5000.7A.

What exactly does “free from residual effects of alcohol” mean?
This means there is no physical impairment, scent of alcohol, slurred speech, or any other related effects of recent drinking, including being “hungover” from not stopping early enough to allow your body to recover.

Yes, based on gut feeling we are making being hungover now count as an alcohol incident.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ElMaligno posted:

Yes, but if you are stationed in Puerto Rico and you are 18 you cant drink. So if you are a 18-20 year old Puerto Rican who got stationed in Puerto Rico you cannot longer(legaly) drink alcohol under the new Coast Guard rules. The reasoning comes from a couple of surveys, one whiche states "among active duty military personnel, revealed, among other things, that Coast Guard members drink more than DoD Service members and civilians in all age categories, except for the 40 years and older age cohort." wich is pretty hilarious if true.

This is the lovely part:

Yes, based on gut feeling we are making being hungover now count as an alcohol incident.

Wow, they could have given AI's to my entire cutter after every port call had this been in effect.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Honestly how do you determine if someone is hungover, or actually sick, or just seasick?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Elendil004 posted:

Honestly how do you determine if someone is hungover, or actually sick, or just seasick?

By having a shinny anchor/bar(s)/leaf/stars in your collar.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

a lot of really cool changes happening in the cg lmao

e: especially the host country one

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Civilian got canned yesterday. That was pretty interesting. Definitely not bullet-proof within their one-year probationary period.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

Civilian got canned yesterday. That was pretty interesting. Definitely not bullet-proof within their one-year probationary period.

the one we talked about?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

krispykremessuck posted:

the one we talked about?

No.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

krispykremessuck posted:

a lot of really cool changes happening in the cg lmao

e: especially the host country one

It gives me areason to quit drinking and another one to be happy about leaving this boat.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

drat, couldn't even get our thread title changed to match the others to bait Cole.

We are truly the red-headed stepchildren.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

who the gently caress is cole someone please explain

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Army guy who toxxed that he wouldn't post in the army thread for a month after getting out. He's also a tampa bay fan so you can draw your own conclusions.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

P. sure our CO is looking for a dude to admit they got sexually assaulted by a dude. In the last 822837 meetings we've had this month, he makes it a point to say 'remember, it's not just girls getting sexually assaulted; it's just that they're the ones that have dealt with it enough to stand up to it. Guys are getting assaulted a lot and they need to be vocal.'

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

P. sure our CO is looking for a dude to admit they got sexually assaulted by a dude. In the last 822837 meetings we've had this month, he makes it a point to say 'remember, it's not just girls getting sexually assaulted; it's just that they're the ones that have dealt with it enough to stand up to it. Guys are getting assaulted a lot and they need to be vocal.'

you should tell him about P&S 12 man on the Sea.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I was in 4 man bro.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

I was in 4 man bro.

well I forgot when you were there you were already the broken ship

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

In good news my cutter just :sweep: TSTA.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Y'all better fly that broom coming into homeport.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Elendil004 posted:

Y'all better fly that broom coming into homeport.

Gonna ask about this, also as sappy as this soung I am really happy we got that battle E.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

ElMaligno posted:

Gonna ask about this, also as sappy as this soung I am really happy we got that battle E.

You ought to have a chief crusty enough to know that it's how things are done, then just get one of the Nav BMs to run it up there during SSD.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Elendil004 posted:

You ought to have a chief crusty enough to know that it's how things are done, then just get one of the Nav BMs to run it up there during SSD.

Finished the mass conflag, currently flying the broom. :toot:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

First 270 in 4 years to complete the TSTA gunnex exercise.
First 270 in 3 years to get the battle E and clean sweep TSTA.
My shop got a shout out for being better at navigating than the bridge.
And the rear end in a top hat OSC retried and left the boat today.

Not a bad day at all.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Man, we swept and got the E when I was on the Mohawk. 270's must be slackin.

God I almost did a "back in the old guard..."

honestly you should just be happy the Otto Melara actually worked.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Elendil004 posted:

Man, we swept and got the E when I was on the Mohawk. 270's must be slackin.

God I almost did a "back in the old guard..."

last time I was in jville ATG showed us TSTA > RFTRA > TSTA standards and uh, yeah a clean sweep anymore isn't really a clean sweep, not for the cg at least

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Elendil004 posted:

You can probably guess its current status.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

ElMaligno posted:

You can probably guess its current status.

I need to dig around for the photo of the round after they doublefed a live round onto a dummy round, at TACT and we had to loiter off the 40 fathom curve for several hours while they literally beat the gun with sledgehammers to dislodge it. It had like a 20 degree angle in it (the round)

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Man is the SWE process broke. Some MST's scoring 140 raw, another rating scored as low as 60-70.

It's almost as broke as the OER process.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

Man is the SWE process broke. Some MST's scoring 140 raw, another rating scored as low as 60-70.

It's almost as broke as the OER process.

The guy with a 140 raw score still doesn't advance because he's only got the minimum TIG and well under average TIS.

edit: Last I ever looked or cared about it, outside of MST and E-8 -> E-9 SWEs the averages generally all hovered between 60-80 across all ratings.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

krispykremessuck posted:

The guy with a 140 raw score still doesn't advance because he's only got the minimum TIG and well under average TIS.

edit: Last I ever looked or cared about it, outside of MST and E-8 -> E-9 SWEs the averages generally all hovered between 60-80 across all ratings.

You could be right. I didn't check all the ratings. The MST RFMC brought up a good point he's going to try and implement. You have a MST2 that scores 150 raw on the SWE, but he's only been a 2nd for 1 year and in the Coast Guard for 5 years...you aren't making it. Meanwhile, you have a guy with 20 years in and 10 of them as a 2nd who scores a 60 raw score. The numbers are extremely general and I didn't crosscheck em to see if it's possible, but it might be that the 20 year guy gets advanced and the boot doesn't. To change this, he's trying to implement something like (again numbers aren't accurate), unless you score a minimum of 90 raw, you won't be eligible to be in the rankings. Hope that makes sense, basically a 'passing score' on the SWE to still compete.

I don't think any answer is going to be perfect, but that sounds a bit better to me.

The RFMC's are also trying to push out a policy stating it's ok not to recommend someone for advancement on their marks if they haven't been in grade long enough. I think as it is now, you only have to be a 3rd for 6 months to compete for 2nd, and only a year as a 2nd to compete for first? By policy, yeah you have the time in grade to sit for the next rank. However, I completely think that's bullshit. Maybe the third>second doesn't have to be adjusted much, but I'd argue that people with a year as a first do not necessarily have what it takes to be a Chief...they just haven't seen enough. I know I could have taken the EOCT and EPME for E-6 when I had just made second and I would have made first since the SWE was waived and they were clearing the list all the time. However, I didn't do it because 1) I still liked driving boats and 2) I knew I hadn't seen enough to be a first. Some of my friends made the jump and while some succeeded, others completely failed.

However, there's this huge stigma with getting a Not Recommended on your marks, but the RFMC's are saying that as long as you put in the comments something like 'Member has only been a 2nd for 6 months. Not recommended' it won't hold that stigma. Unfortunately, this is another case of one group of people are trying to push this down, but 99% of the people will continue to think of it as a negative because it's not getting pushed out/believed and not many people want to be that 'bad guy' that does the right thing. Add to that the fact that some programs (OCS for example) will not allow you to submit a package if you have a Not Recommended over a certain period of time. So someone may have been a kickass 3rd and 2nd, but then they get an NR and can't put in for OCS.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I got 81 which was better than my score of 70 from November and I havent talked to any other OS3 about their SWE score because I dont really care that much. :geno:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What's your opinion about the Coast Guard Auxiliary?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

RandomPauI posted:

What's your opinion about the Coast Guard Auxiliary?

Are you planning on joining the Auxiliary?

I worked with them a lot when I was enlisted as a Boatswain's Mate at a small boat station. In my experience, they were a great bunch of older guys/girls that helped where they could. We had one guy that has served in the Aux for easily over 10 years and he provided his boat and would basically do safety patrols and his fuel was paid for, so he pretty much got free fuel to take his boat out on the water and have a CG AUX banner on his boat. He helped us out a countless amount of times with doing two-boat towing operations for training and was an all-around good guy. He played a huge role in me qualifying as coxswain because we just didn't have the necessary personnel to get out and do towing ops for training. Dude even came to my OCS graduation 3 hours away. We had some others that would come in and stand radio guard which would free up one or two of our watches so we could do something else, which was always nice. That one guy I mentioned earlier was qualified boat crew and every New Year's Eve he would come and take the duty for one person and they got to go home.

Now, as an officer working in a completely different field, we have one auxilarist that comes in and volunteers his free time to do a lot of the casework that we honestly isn't one of our favorite things. It always blows me away that he's willing to donate his free time and sit at a computer for hours and enter mundane documents into our system.

On the flip side, they are generally older, retired people. So, getting them up to speed on something like radio guard or doing our casework takes a lot of time/patience. One of our radio guards, we qualified because he had been working so hard on it, but whenever he took the watch, one of us was always within earshot to help him out. However, they are always pleasant and happy to put in work.

edit: I remember one younger guy that joined the Aux at the small boat station thinking he would just be able to jump on the small boat with us and go for cruises and the like. However, he didn't want to do any of the training necessary and was just there for a boat ride...he didn't last too long.

nwin fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'd be willing to do the boat training. I have a boyhood fantasy of saving lives and helping out during a disaster and whatnot. I figure the Coast Guard Auxiliary would be an easy-ish way to vicariously do that.

• Locked thread