Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
This was the second-worst season finale of Community ever. As much as I loved a lot of the episodes this season, and even one or two from Season 4, I fear that the show's never gonna get as great a send-off as the Season 3 finale, which was the perfect mix of plot-based insanity and genuine, character-driven human emotion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
I don't think the length of the season was the real problem. On the contrary it seems like they had trouble coming up with enough material even for only 13 episodes. A lot of the stories were pure filler that didn't lead anywhere or affect the characters in any noticeable way. And most of the concept episodes had already been done before in previous seasons. Beyond repairing the damage of the last two seasons, nothing really happened, which is very strange considering that they lost two members of the study group.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Emerson Cod posted:

I loved the picture of Richard Ayoade hanging in the background and that the computer's name was Boobatron.

Not Boobatron, Boogatron. A running joke for the props department, I think, because Hickey's bulletin board had a rejection letter from "Boogatron Publishing" and a final payment notice from "Boogatron Multifinancial".

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
Ratings ticked up one point to a 1.0 this week. Of note, it rose from a 3 share to a 4 share.

Now, the waiting game.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I think "...and that's canon," if the show doesn't get renewed, is the best way to wrap it up. It's such a nod to Community nerd fans.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

If you look closely you can see them both cracking up from behind.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ahahahaha OSG doesn't give a gently caress

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Brocktoon posted:

I'm not sure what your issue with this is. Harmon's made it pretty clear in the past that the writing is collaborative, and that just because a particular writer has their name on the script doesn't mean that there isn't ideas and lines from multiple writers.

Also, Ryan Ridley is loving awesome. In addition to writing some of the best Channel 101 shows, he also wrote 2 of the best episode of Rick and Morty this season.

What I meant was that the episode felt so Harmon-ish that I wouldn't be surprised if he just rewrote the entire thing after being given a script. I could be wrong, but this episode kinda felt like some of the worst aspects of his writing were really coming out. And I'm a guy who is a big fan of his stuff.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I hope that isn't the last episode. If it is at least this show didn't end on season 4.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

TealShark posted:

Ratings ticked up one point to a 1.0 this week. Of note, it rose from a 3 share to a 4 share.

That was unexpected. Would put the odds in Community's favor, now, for a pickup.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The season 4 finale was just as bad as this one.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

1st AD posted:

So this finale was only as bad as the season which was described as being tied to a park bench and being raped.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

These two episodes had a weird tone, but I still thought they were ok. They were like gimmick episodes, except the gimmick was "bitter writer anticipates getting cancelled" instead of something overt like "KFC space mission".

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
This season got continually worse until I reached a point where I hope they cancel the show. Shirley, Abed and Annie are all useless at this point. Oh, I get it, Abed makes fourth wall references, ha ha ha. Honestly, I am so disappointed by this season after having my expectations raised by the first few episodes.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

computer parts posted:

They were weak because they relied on the metaplot of "let's save Greendale" which aside from the first episode and the episode with the trading favors wasn't really a central part of the season.
Nah that's not why they were weak. They were weak because even if you buy into the idea that they turned Greendale around, the last two episodes weren't that funny. There were good jokes, like shaking the vending machine or Abed's "that's canon" line and plus other moments too (that one guy's mind jacking power), but on the whole most if it just wasn't that good. I liked this season better than last season, but after a strong start these last two or three episodes felt more like last season's level of quality.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 18, 2014

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I liked both parts. They were wacky and a little off, but I was entertained and laughed the whole time. I still maintain that even though these last two episodes were weak, they are nothing compared to the terrible finale last year.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)
^^^ Yeah, but the second worst finale out of five seasons isn't exactly something to brag about.

Brocktoon posted:

Also, Ryan Ridley is loving awesome. In addition to writing some of the best Channel 101 shows, he also wrote 2 of the best episode of Rick and Morty this season.

So another really good writer churned out one of the worst finales (RIP Megan Ganz).

Calico Heart posted:

What I meant was that the episode felt so Harmon-ish that I wouldn't be surprised if he just rewrote the entire thing after being given a script. I could be wrong, but this episode kinda felt like some of the worst aspects of his writing were really coming out. And I'm a guy who is a big fan of his stuff.

It feels less like Harmon to me than a first draft, which I guess feels like Harmon because of the first draft/I don't give a gently caress feel of a lot of Channel 101 sketches.

emoticon fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 18, 2014

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
So, this episode happened.

It was really disappointing for me. For all the love I will give the ending and the Depends on what Fails, I still cannot shake the feeling that this was an episode more at home in season 4. It also needed more Shirley, but that goes without saying this season, sadly.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
Speaking of writing, apparently the writing process for the last two episodes was a total clusterfuck. Like the dreamatorium episode from season 3 they were still writing it as it was being shot.

But I don't think it's worse than the season 3 finale, not even close. First of all there's no darkest timeline crap and no AC repair school. Secondly bringing back "oh no, Jeff suddenly only cares about himself" at the end of the third season made no sense whatsoever. And like so much of season 3 it relied on perfunctory conflict between characters and the death of a minor character nobody cared about to drive the action forward.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Sakarja posted:

Speaking of writing, apparently the writing process for the last two episodes was a total clusterfuck. Like the dreamatorium episode from season 3 they were still writing it as it was being shot.

That could explain the quality of the episode.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I like that they dedicated so much of what may be the series finale to Chris Elliot being weird as Hell.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This season got continually worse until I reached a point where I hope they cancel the show. Shirley, Abed and Annie are all useless at this point. Oh, I get it, Abed makes fourth wall references, ha ha ha. Honestly, I am so disappointed by this season after having my expectations raised by the first few episodes.

My sentiments exactly. After a solid start this season dipped well below the low water mark of quality set by season (insert your least favorite post season 2 season here).

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Wow, you guys sure hated it. I thought it was a very good season. Unlike season 4 I actually laughed out loud during the episodes, and appreciated when it got goofy because the structure was still there. To each their own, though.

If you want the absolute highs of (insert favorite season here, mine was season 3, but for many it was season 2) - then this is not the show you should be watching. You should be watching Rick and Morty.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I liked this finale and the season as a whole! It was good and I enjoyed myself!

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I liked the season, hated finale part 1, enjoyed part 2 more or less but found many parts of it unpleasant.

The shhh shhh exchange was as unsufferable as the schmitty plotline in season one.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
The "Ssh" exchange was every moment of life in elementary school.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

It's a comforting thought that I might end up in prison or in a burning building or in exile but they will never send me back to elementary school.

jumba
Sep 6, 2004

Hang in there!
Fun Shoe
Was the Dean choking scene a callback to the death related to the old school Battlestar Galactica toys?

http://theswca.com/textf/toydeath.html

It even looked like a huge red replica of the missiles.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I think part of the reason why the last two episodes are kinda bad is that the writers broke the biggest rule that Harmon has about writing; a good plot goes "therefore" rather than "but then".

Each moment is compartmentalized, rather than flowing into each other; the best example is that the threat was the school board guys, rather than it being the characters rubbing against eachother or their complexes compromising the group. Ideally, these episodes would have built on the groundwork that the first half of the previous episode; the school is saved, there is no plot, and this bothers the groups 'cause it's unnatural for them to not have adventures (i.e. Abed creating drama). It could also have had part of the group realizing that they're stagnating and/or regressing; and fighting to change that is possibly destructive ways (i.e. Jeff and Britta getting married). Instead the plot had the school board guys and Chang causing the school to 'degenerate' into Subway-dom; and each scene was altered halfway through by the words, "then Chang/SBG's attempt to foil the groups plan..." therefore not allowing character moments to form or satisfying plot development. Even the one emotional moment in the episode, Annie and Abed's conversation, happened out of nowhere and lead nowhere.

I am afraid that the show is now on rails towards it's irrelevancy; or that Harmon realizes that just because he has one of the greatest show currently airing on network television does not mean he has the Midas touch. I'm starting to think that Harmon watching Season four was possibly a bad decision, 'cause it gave him a reason to give less effort.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The Jeff and Annie stuff was terrible, but then it always is. Annie is in her twenties; there's nothing creepy about her dating Jeff since they're both grownass adults. I really wish the writers would have either let that plot point go or let it happen, it didn't matter which as long as they quit obsessing over it and treating it like some tragic this-can-never-be romance.

But, whatever, shows over. It had a lot of good parts, it'll do well in syndication, and now there's Rick and Morty to watch.

Hopefully Yvette Brown can find a show that gives her more screen time, it's been said a thousand times but she was really underused this season.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Yeah, I guess this season was alright overall (especially compared to s4) but the last two THREE episodes were weak as poo poo and the show has probably lost whatever it had that made it good. Also, I really miss Pierce and Troy.

Won't cry if it's cancelled at this point.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Just as a little break from the bitterness I liked the season overall I thought it had some super episodes and that it has the potential for more. I feel like if Harmon has gotten whatever it was out of his system he needed to get out, and there's a little more focus, next season could be terrific. I hope, anyway!

I still really love the Meowmeowbeenz episode, regardless.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

1st AD posted:

Season 4 finale makes me angry, especially when Abed said they made paintball cool again.

I was maybe a little disappointed by the finale, but really none of the finales in this show are super strong, minus season 3. I think the whole season needs a rewatch, since that was how I found out I loved season 3 the most.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

umalt posted:

I am afraid that the show is now on rails towards it's irrelevancy; or that Harmon realizes that just because he has one of the greatest show currently airing on network television does not mean he has the Midas touch. I'm starting to think that Harmon watching Season four was possibly a bad decision, 'cause it gave him a reason to give less effort.

I think psychoanalyzing Harmon based on literally nothing to explain why you personally didn't like the finale is really dumb.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

That sure was a season of Community.

Episode-to-episode the average quality of the season was higher than Season 4 but the show feels creatively bankrupt at this point. Season 5 lacked any kind of cohesive direction or major arc and some of the episodes (especially the two-part finale) really highlighted just how bloated the cast is- half the main characters feel superfluous, especially Shirley (not really a new problem for the show) and Abed.

Probably the most frustrating part of this season was the fact that the show tethering itself to Greendale, which was a massive step backwards for the show. After Season 2 and 3- and to a lesser extent Season 4- pushed to try and move the show away from being about Greendale, this season trying to re-establish Greendale as the primary setting felt ridiculously regressive. Bringing back Dan Harmon brought back a little of the old Community, but it's pretty clear that he was never going to be able to save the show from terminal decline.

I think I'll be okay if the show isn't picked up for renewal. Community's been dead for a while now.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

MrAristocrates posted:

I think psychoanalyzing Harmon based on literally nothing to explain why you personally didn't like the finale is really dumb.

I kinda have a problem with myself, where if I think that I don't like something enough, I try to find reasons I didn't like it and I focus way too much on them. Pretty much missing the forest for the trees.

But to be honest I liked the two finale episodes this season much more than the entirety of season four, where I actively had a bad time each episode, and I even enjoyed parts of these episodes. And I'll admit that 90% of my 'psychoanalysis' of Harmon is bullshit; though I want to say that listening to his podcast (and reactions to season 4) makes me think that he probably things much more highly of his ability to create after seeing the disaster other can create with his work.

Genetic Toaster posted:

Episode-to-episode the average quality of the season was higher than Season 4 but the show feels creatively bankrupt at this point. Season 5 lacked any kind of cohesive direction or major arc and some of the episodes (especially the two-part finale) really highlighted just how bloated the cast is- half the main characters feel superfluous, especially Shirley (not really a new problem for the show) and Abed.

Probably the most frustrating part of this season was the fact that the show tethering itself to Greendale, which was a massive step backwards for the show. After Season 2 and 3- and to a lesser extent Season 4- pushed to try and move the show away from being about Greendale, this season trying to re-establish Greendale as the primary setting felt ridiculously regressive. Bringing back Dan Harmon brought back a little of the old Community, but it's pretty clear that he was never going to be able to save the show from terminal decline.

I think I'll be okay if the show isn't picked up for renewal. Community's been dead for a while now.

I pretty much agree, I love Community more than any show, but I'm not hopeful for the future if the show is going as-is; it needs a big stir-up in order to make itself interesting again. The removal of half the show's drama (Pierce) and levity (Troy) has hampered it greatly; Hickey is a great character and I love his inclusion, though he's not a Pierce in terms of chemistry for sure.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
To be fair, I think the show did really well having lost two of their main cast in one season. The inclusion of John Oliver and Jonathan Banks also showed how strong the writing can be with existing and new characters.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
That didn't really feel like a finale for this season. It just felt really weird and all over the place and I was surprised to find out that it was actually over.

I liked the show more at the start of the season where they were using stuff like the Nicholas Cage class or Jeff being a teacher and it was about them actually being at Community College. If it had been like that all season I think it would've been pure gold but we got stuck with a bunch of gimmick episodes towards the end. I like gimmick episodes but you gotta space them out or it gets boring real quick.

I guess what I'm saying is make the show more like Season 1-2 if they get another season.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 19, 2014

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Genetic Toaster posted:

Just FYI Greendale has always been a metaphor for the show, and the institution as such, and this season the characters were on the Save Community committee, and in these last two episodes they discovered that saving Community just meant it would be more painful when it inevitably died, and finding the crazy gross weird old rear end in a top hat who created Community helped reestablish their identity but did nothing for their longevity. So uhh yeah dude, the show agrees with you, almost like the show inspired you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Asuron posted:

I guess what I'm saying is make the show more like Season 1-2 if they get another season.

I understand the impulse, but why can't we enjoy the different seasons and different feels for what they are? I don't see people saying "Every season of The Wire should have been like season 4." I know it's a lovely comparison but still, there's something to be said for a show that keeps trying something new and different instead of just settling into what is the most popular and churning that out.

• Locked thread