Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, fair enough. I guess for me it's more a reason to consider stuff with removable cables as that's the only thing I've ever had issues with on headphones, other than a little plastic adjuster breaking on my Q701's but I'm pretty sure that's due to my cat knocking them off a shelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Fat Care-Bear posted:

How are you suppose to keep your IEMs when not using it then? or do you just not bring expensive ones outside with you.

I've brought my $650 retail LEAR LUF-4B with me everywhere for a month during my review process. They were used during walks, at work (going in and out of a freezer/lifting heavy items), and when stationary. I don't do anything with my IEMs when I'm not using them. I place them on a flat surface and call it a day. I do this with every IEM I own. They never get shoved into pockets, or into cases. I put them on a flat surface when not using them since one is always available to me.

eddiewalker posted:

Treating them nice can go a long way. I've been using the same pair of custom IEMs since 2008. Flying, running, lawn-mowing. Original cables and all.

Indeed. I'm impressed with how much stress IEMs can put up with though. I had the Apple Dual Driver IEMs. Those fuckers had wires exposed after 3 years of use and still kicked. I ran with them every day and used them normally otherwise. I think the key is not putting any stress on the wires when possible. I had a pair of JVC Marshmallows I intentionally tried to break. I threw them at walls, slammed them into tables and such and I STILL have them in my drawer. In-fact I have one pair from each revision. Hell I'll post a video of me intentionally damaging them and they still work.

Maybe I'm lucky with IEMs but I'm really struggling to see how so many people have a hard time making an IEM last a year.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 11, 2014

Thelonious Monk
Apr 2, 2008

Life and music: all about style.

eddiewalker posted:

Treating them nice can go a long way. I've been using the same pair of custom IEMs since 2008. Flying, running, lawn-mowing. Original cables and all.

Yah, I've owned my westone 3 for almost 4 years now. For the last two years they haven't even been inside their original case: I just coil them up loosely around my hand and slip them into an empty compartment in my bag. Just don't yank IEMs out using the cable and you should be okay.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Also, headphones should not be used for:

-Erotic foreplay and/or self-flagellation
-Restraints (see above)
-An emergency belay while rappelling
-Tying your muffler in place
-Chew toys for pets/children/your spouse/that homeless person you have tied up in the basement (see also: Restraints)
-Rope tricks while dressed up as a cowboy/cowgirl/cowgender-neutral-pronoun for Halloween
-Weapons, either as a bolo or garrote

etc.

Good god people, learn how to take care of your poo poo. It ain't that tough.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

grack posted:

Also, headphones should not be used for:

-Erotic foreplay and/or self-flagellation

Wait.

What do you think "audiophile" means?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Lazyhound posted:

Wait.

What do you think "audiophile" means?

Aural Sex

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Hi Guys,

So for the past few month's i've been buying these types of earphones http://www.amazon.co.uk/HTC-GENUINE-39H00014-01M-HANDSFREE-BUTTERFLY/dp/B00EU8EU18

They are really cheap and break quickly, but the sound is pretty good. But I want better.

Budget - Around £50 but am flexible either way.
Source - Latest ipod Nano
Isolation Requirements - Isolation not necessary.
Preferred Type of Headphone - In-ear has the best sound I guess. Anything similar to the ones linked above.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Not sure. I dont know much about sound stuff, just something that has good bass I guess, but not at the cost of being muddy or overwhelming other sounds.
Past Headphones - http://www.amazon.co.uk/HTC-GENUINE-39H00014-01M-HANDSFREE-BUTTERFLY/dp/B00EU8EU18 They sounded pretty ok, and fit in my ear!
Preferred Music - Metal mostly, with electric stuff and rock.

Thanks for any recommendation!

henpod fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 12, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:siren: Sennheiser HD 650 for $325 after rebate http://slickdeals.net/f/6854254-son...e-free-shipping :siren:

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

grack posted:

Good god people, learn how to take care of your poo poo. It ain't that tough.

I work at a beer store and we fill growlers of beer, basically a 32/64ounce jug to bring beer from the tap home. I've had people, more often than should ever happen, bring in growlers with old beer, dog hair, vinegar aromas, and etc into my store. People are really loving sloppy and don't care. Don't be one of those guys.

Edit: I got my Oppo PM1 today!

Midorka fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 13, 2014

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

This looks pretty good, and it's definitely within my price range. Can I get any second opinions on these?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Illegal Carrot posted:

This looks pretty good, and it's definitely within my price range. Can I get any second opinions on these?

They're pretty great, at least the Ad700/Ad900 is. I haven't heard the new x line yet.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
These seem pretty good for the price - anyone know anything about these?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005HP3OB0/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=electronics

Soundmagic E10

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I had the E30 and they were darn good budget guys.

Brianbloke
Apr 20, 2012
My recent headset decided that it wanted smashed off the floor after a game of Fifa, so now I require a new headset

Budget - $200 max. (I'm from the UK, so I'd prefer something that is available within the UK to purchase instead of buying from overseas.)
Source - This headset will be plugged into a USB port preferably.
Isolation Requirements - I would like isolation, but isn't really required.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear headphones with a Microphone (I play a lot of FPS games which require me to talk, using a headset with a MP attached will allow me to be much more comfortable.).
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced.
Past Headphones -
Logitech precision gaming headset - Not used this in maybe 7 years, but what I can remember of it was the ear cups fell off quite easily, the microphone was terrible, but it was rather comfortable and rather stylish. the sound that came from it was adequate
Creative Fatal1ty - Very good headset, being cheap with a microphone attached and certainly worked well. I purchased 2 over two years. Unfortunately, they were low quality which made them break more frequently.
Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Another great headset, had to be returned twice unfortunately due to wire issues (coming through one ear, then microphone not working. It then worked for a good year prior to accidentally dropping them and breaking them.)
Asus Vulcan Pro - Sad to say, the worst headset I've used. EXTREMELY uncomfortable, the headset had to be returned 5 days later due to microphone not working. However, the sound that came through it was magnificent and it blocked out all other sounds around me which I loved. The headset would also turn down ingame sounds if someone speaks on teamspeak and such which was pretty cool.
Preferred Music - A complete variety, I literally listen to everything. from Rihanna/Shakira to A-ha, Queen etc. If I'm not listening to music though, I'm playing FPS games.

Misc- I would like to add, I do prefer a headset which is wired since I do spend large amounts of my time at a computer desk which is required for College. (Wireless Headsets I'm assuming won't last long for me.)

Brianbloke fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 16, 2014

Baldrash
Oct 26, 2005
So the left earpiece on my Ultimate Ears 500s crapped out, and I'm in the market for a new inexpensive set of IEMs for work. I would just buy a new set, but those jerks at Logitech seem to have discontinued all their lower-end headphones. Not sure why since I thought the UE500s were really freaking good for the price, but oh well.

My iPhone and iPad will be driving them, primarily. I'd like to keep it under $50 since I can't justify something more expensive right now. I like a well-rounded sound, but a little extra bass is fine.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
My HD650 came in the mail today and I was pleasantly surprised that my little E10 USB powered amp can drive them just fine. So far I'm not blown away but are solid and much better well built then the HD555 I previously used. Now I just need to find some high quality audio to really test hem out with.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Baldrash posted:

So the left earpiece on my Ultimate Ears 500s crapped out, and I'm in the market for a new inexpensive set of IEMs for work. I would just buy a new set, but those jerks at Logitech seem to have discontinued all their lower-end headphones. Not sure why since I thought the UE500s were really freaking good for the price, but oh well.

My iPhone and iPad will be driving them, primarily. I'd like to keep it under $50 since I can't justify something more expensive right now. I like a well-rounded sound, but a little extra bass is fine.

Amazon has the Android version for $23 right now. And the iPhone version is $38. So both are cheaper than they would have been a year ago, the Android ones being super-duper closeout special. I actually just bought a pair a couple weeks ago.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
I'm looking for an upgrade for my S4i:

Budget - $100 -$250
Source - iPhone, MacBook
Isolation Requirements - Nice, but not mandatory
Preferred Type of Headphone - In-ear. I need a pair that will stay in my ears when I go the gym.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Umm, balanced? I'm not crazy about bass and I like hearing the details in classical music
Past Headphones - I love my S4i, but I've gone through two pairs in four or five years. I'm pretty clumsy, so a good warranty or durable build would be nice.
Preferred Music - Classical, rock, and podcasts. In the office I leave the iPhone on the lowest volume setting.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I just ended up getting a pair of the RHA-MA750is as a replacement for my S4is and they are really nice. Very solid construction, and sound fantastic. $129 at the apple store. Comes with a good selection of tips and a carrying case etc. Quite happy with them so far!

Normally I don't like over ear type earbuds but the cables are very comfortable. I like how they transitioned from the grippy rubber for the rest of the cord to a smooth cover that goes over the ear, clever. And yeah these suckers look really durable and solidly built.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

notZaar posted:

My HD650 came in the mail today and I was pleasantly surprised that my little E10 USB powered amp can drive them just fine. So far I'm not blown away but are solid and much better well built then the HD555 I previously used. Now I just need to find some high quality audio to really test hem out with.
See if you can find a high quality recording of this. I can hear him working the fingerboard :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCicM6i59_I&t=5s

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
I'm amazed that the HD650s still go for as much as they do. I bought a set for under $300 7 or 8 years ago

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

See if you can find a high quality recording of this. I can hear him working the fingerboard :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCicM6i59_I&t=5s

Edgar Meyer has a recording of the Bach unaccompanied cello suites performed on the double bass that I get a kick out of. You can really hear him working the instrument.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma
I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. My current headphones: http://www.ttesports.com/productPage.aspx?p=105&g=ftr#.U1DHV_ldXIc broke on me. I was very satisfied with the sound and how they sat on my head. What would be the audiophile approved equivalent to this? I'm looking to stay under $100 if possible.

neillyb
Nov 15, 2005

People say alcohol is a drug. It's not a drug, it's a drink
Looking for a recommendation for new headphones also. I've now had 2 pairs of Sennheiser CX300 ii's that have both had the left earbud fail completely after 12 months of, admittedly fairly heavy, use. I like the sound and comfort of them but twice in a row, it's getting a bit silly now. Although I do think there's a lot of bang for the buck with them... but I don't know that much about headphones. HERE IS THE OP LIST WOW

Budget - 40€ - 70€ max
Source - mobile phone (HTC One M8)
Isolation Requirements - Yes, don't want to hear people on the train / metro
Preferred Type of Headphone - in ear monitor... open to suggestions though
Preferred Tonal Balance - not bothered really
Past Headphones - see above
Preferred Music - METAL with some softer rock

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Lovable Luciferian posted:

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. My current headphones: http://www.ttesports.com/productPage.aspx?p=105&g=ftr#.U1DHV_ldXIc broke on me. I was very satisfied with the sound and how they sat on my head. What would be the audiophile approved equivalent to this? I'm looking to stay under $100 if possible.

Koss Pro DJ100 or NVX XPT100.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

Midorka posted:

Thanks!

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I might have the opportunity to pick out some headphones for free for myself from work. Here's the criteria from the OP:

Budget: $300 (from amazon before tax)
Source: Plugged into computer, phone. Could get an amp for when I have them plugged into my desktop but that's usually just when I'm gaming.
Isolation: Don't need noise canceling
Type: I like circumaural but could do supa-aural if they don't press on my ears too hard for hours.
Tone: Not really sure.
Past: I currently have Brainwavz HM5 coming from the first Bose Triport. HM5 have been great and I don't need new headphones but if I can upgrade to a $300 headphone for free, I will.
Use: Metal makes up about 95% of my music listening. I also use headphones for gaming with friends when I have an open mic on Skype. This includes Dota, Diablo, some shooters.

Thanks

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I had the chance to listen to some V-Moda M-100's the other day in Brookstone and thought they sounded great with metal. A little bass- heavy, but not a muddy bass. They're a touch over budget-especially if you buy the mic-but may be worth considering.

I'm trying to justify the cost to get some to replace my Astro A40's. (I can't justify the cost yet: the A40's are very nice. )

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Ynglaur posted:

I had the chance to listen to some V-Moda M-100's the other day in Brookstone and thought they sounded great with metal. A little bass- heavy, but not a muddy bass. They're a touch over budget-especially if you buy the mic-but may be worth considering.

I'm trying to justify the cost to get some to replace my Astro A40's. (I can't justify the cost yet: the A40's are very nice. )

Oh these say metal right in the name on Amazon. They are $299 there without the little flexy mic. I'll have to look into them more.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
M-100s might not be the most comfortable for long listening sessions but they sure seem nice for portable use.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I see they're on the Wall of Fame on InnerFidelity. I also see the NAD Viso HP50 there.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have the hp50's and like them quite a lot. They're more balanced than the m100's and probably a better all round headphone. I don't listen to a ton of metal so I can't say whether they're particularly suited to it.

edit: I should clarify that I mean all rounder in the sense that they're better generalist headphones, not that they're straight up better than the M100's across the board.

powderific fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 19, 2014

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
So I'm considering getting some AD700s based off of reviews and goon recommendation, but I've noticed a lot of reviews mention that they lack bass, are uncomfortable, and aren't great for gaming, which is terrible because those are all things that are most important to me. Is there anything out there in that price range that would be great for gaming, really deliver on bassy sounds like explosions, have a high sound quality when listening to music (specifically rock or jazz), and feel comfortable even after hours of constant use?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

AD700s are often rated as some of the best headphones for gaming sound/positioning, so I dunno where you heard that one :shrug:. (Also the ATH-AD/x series is awesome)

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Midorka posted:

My buddy is trying to talk me into spending $50~ more and getting Audio-Technica ATH-M50. I am on a $100 or less budget, but if it's really as big of an upgrade as he claims, is it worth saving up for them?

Lovable Luciferian fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 19, 2014

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

BurritoJustice posted:

AD700s are often rated as some of the best headphones for gaming sound/positioning, so I dunno where you heard that one :shrug:. (Also the ATH-AD/x series is awesome)
Even the top rated positive review for them on Amazon noted

quote:

The lack of bass. I think this was the most common issue I heard on any site.

While the highest rated positive review for the 700X (which used the same drivers as the 700) says

quote:

For gaming they are okay depending on what you're buying them for. If you're buying them for competitive gaming, yes they are great headphones... However if you are buying it for fun and want to enjoy the sound effects of things blowing up, etc, these are not for you. The bass to too minimal to make it a great headphone for non-competitive gaming.
I play a lot of actiony games, so getting the most out of every gunshot / explosion means a lot to me.
Of all the reviews I read, the consensus seems to be that the 700 series has excellent sound quality, with a notable lack of bass, and that the 700 is heavy and bulky, while the 700X is lighter but much cheaper.

Sorry but I want to be sure that I'm getting everything I want for my $200.

literally this big fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Apr 19, 2014

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

KingKapalone posted:

I might have the opportunity to pick out some headphones for free for myself from work. Here's the criteria from the OP:

Budget: $300 (from amazon before tax)
Source: Plugged into computer, phone. Could get an amp for when I have them plugged into my desktop but that's usually just when I'm gaming.
Isolation: Don't need noise canceling
Type: I like circumaural but could do supa-aural if they don't press on my ears too hard for hours.
Tone: Not really sure.
Past: I currently have Brainwavz HM5 coming from the first Bose Triport. HM5 have been great and I don't need new headphones but if I can upgrade to a $300 headphone for free, I will.
Use: Metal makes up about 95% of my music listening. I also use headphones for gaming with friends when I have an open mic on Skype. This includes Dota, Diablo, some shooters.

Thanks

Perhaps the Sennheiser Momentum over ear?

Illegal Carrot posted:

So I'm considering getting some AD700s based off of reviews and goon recommendation, but I've noticed a lot of reviews mention that they lack bass, are uncomfortable, and aren't great for gaming, which is terrible because those are all things that are most important to me. Is there anything out there in that price range that would be great for gaming, really deliver on bassy sounds like explosions, have a high sound quality when listening to music (specifically rock or jazz), and feel comfortable even after hours of constant use?

Whoa, so anyone who says that they aren't comfortable is a downright idiot and anyone who says that they aren't good for gaming is almost an idiot. The Ad700 are one of the most comfortable headphones you'll ever wear and their huge airy soundstage and positional accuracy makes them excellent for gaming. They do lack bass though. The Ad900x or A900x are the logical progression though the A900x fits very loosely so if you have a small head then avoid. A rubber band fixes this issue for most people though.

It sounds like you really want the Beyerdynamic DT770 though.

Lovable Luciferian posted:

My buddy is trying to talk me into spending $50~ more and getting Audio-Technica ATH-M50. I am on a $100 or less budget, but if it's really as big of an upgrade as he claims, is it worth saving up for them?

The M50 are inferior to the Pro DJ100 imo. Then again I think the M50 sound like crap.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

M50's certainly have their flaws, but goddamn they are enjoyable in my opinion. The sound staging is not great compared to others in their bracket, and the heavily closed sound is not for everyone. But they have excellent and plentiful bass, and the isolation is fantastic in my opinion. So YMMV, read reviews and if possible try and find some to listen to.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Illegal Carrot posted:

Even the top rated positive review for them on Amazon noted

While the highest rated positive review for the 700X (which used the same drivers as the 700) says

I play a lot of actiony games, so getting the most out of every gunshot / explosion means a lot to me.
Of all the reviews I read, the consensus seems to be that the 700 series has excellent sound quality, with a notable lack of bass, and that the 700 is heavy and bulky, while the 700X is lighter but much cheaper.

Sorry but I want to be sure that I'm getting everything I want for my $200.

Neither the 700 nor the 700X are heavy, but they also distribute their weight extremely well with the paddle bands.

The "lack of bass" is mostly just "it isn't emphasized too much over the rest of the sound."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If Illegal Carrot wants to have really satisfying bass in explosions and whatnot I don't think it makes much sense to push towards cans that have neutral/weakish bass. I really like the overall sound from my Etymotic HF3's and AKG Q701's despite their similar bass shy reputations, but they might be really disappointing to someone who's specifically looking for a strong bottom end.