Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I guess because it's the redheaded stepchild of the series whenever someone spends some time with it they do it right. Unlike COP where you get stuff like Misery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
So I reinstalled CoP and got Sigerous Mod. I'm not really getting warm with it though. What about Misery? Did somebody fix that stuff with mosin to the head not killing bandits?

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

MadBimber posted:

I'm calling the Lost Alpha LP for myself. If anybody wants to fight about it, we'll fight at dawn. You lose if you get hit by a dog and warp into the sky :clint:

I'll fight you. :chef:

Actually, I had been thinking of doing an LP of SOC. There was already one done a while back, but he played the game completely vanilla, and with static lighting. I think people would appreciate an LP with gorgeous graphics and some minor mods.

The impending release of Lost Alpha made me think that maybe I should simultaneously do both SOC and Lost Alpha and do videos that alternate between the two. But if you are super keen to do Lost Alpha, perhaps I'll just stick to SOC, and the two LPs can enhance each other.

Coonskin_Cap
Dec 6, 2012
Hey yall, could anyone rehost the improved lua.JIT.1.1.4.dll. file from the OP? The file is currently set to private on mediafire. Thanks.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Christ, I had forgotten how unforgiving Call of Pripyat can be, at the beginning -- SHOKER Mod might make it worse, too -- but I am just barely scraping by. I can't even find an antiradiation artifact so I can use the other special artifacts without irradiating myself. Everything's so expensive and scavenged guns sell for kopeks on the ruble. Is there a way I can get a leg up without cheating? I can't remember how I managed to bootstrap my way out of STALKER poverty, last time.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Coonskin_Cap posted:

Hey yall, could anyone rehost the improved lua.JIT.1.1.4.dll. file from the OP? The file is currently set to private on mediafire. Thanks.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/o9x9kg

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Seeing as at some point most fileshare sites seem to have some issue hosting the file, I threw it up on my dropbox for easy access.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70742/Files/lua.JIT.1.1.4.rar

Coonskin_Cap
Dec 6, 2012

Coughing Hobo posted:

Seeing as at some point most fileshare sites seem to have some issue hosting the file, I threw it up on my dropbox for easy access.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70742/Files/lua.JIT.1.1.4.rar

Good stuff. Thanks guys! :)

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

You can now watch the Stalker movie for free on youtube.
Part one
Part two

You can get English subtitles by pressing the CC/caption button. (For me it did that automatically.)

Note: the film is a long, slow art film. Visually impressive though.

(I quite like arty films, and I liked Tarkovsky's film Solaris, but I did find Stalker a bit disappointing. Its a couple guys wondering around in empty fields, supposedly surrounded by danger that we never actually see. Seems bizarre to do an adaptation of Roadside Picnic and not include any anomalies or artifacts.)

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Considering that you really never see anything dangerous and the worst stuff is only hinted at it is an amazingly tense film.

I always got the feeling that you were never supposed to relate to the Stalker, as he is having this almost religious experience and all the other two can do is observe and assume he's not nuts.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

your evil twin posted:

Note: the film is a long, slow art film. Visually impressive though.

(I quite like arty films, and I liked Tarkovsky's film Solaris, but I did find Stalker a bit disappointing. Its a couple guys wondering around in empty fields, supposedly surrounded by danger that we never actually see. Seems bizarre to do an adaptation of Roadside Picnic and not include any anomalies or artifacts.)

Allegedly, the first recording of the film had more "special effects" to show anomalies, but the film was ruined by being improperly developed. Hard to say if that's true, and it doesn't matter since it doesn't even exist in some back storage room or private collection. But the thought is kind of entertaining.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Ddraig posted:

Considering that you really never see anything dangerous and the worst stuff is only hinted at it is an amazingly tense film.

I always got the feeling that you were never supposed to relate to the Stalker, as he is having this almost religious experience and all the other two can do is observe and assume he's not nuts.

Yeah pretty much, professor and writer are there as audience stand ins if people want, the 2 searching for something in some way not the person thats found what he wants and is content to share it with others.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

I read an interesting comment (probably somewhere here) which said that, in Tarkovsky's STALKER, nothing happens that cannot be rationally explained. The audience could make a argument that the supernatural experiences the trio experience in the Zone are actually acts of faith.

On a more game-related note, SHOKER Mod is proving to be too punishing -- every artifact spawn is deadly, resources are too hard to get, combat too deadly, guns too expensive, etc. While it's pretty as hell, the difficulty is too high and I can forsee the early game just being too much of a pain in the rear end.

Having said that, I will now venture on to a completely different type of masochism, and try to install STALKERSOUP.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
True. The weirdest thing that happens is when they end up exactly where they started, but that phenomena happens all the time. His daughter is harder to explain, though.

In sadder news, my laptop may be dead. It refuses to power on. I'm hoping that it's just the power supply that's hosed and not anything more serious. If it is more serious then I'm screwed for a while until I can save up enough to build myself a decent gaming pc. I'm expecting the worst and hoping for the best, though.

With Stalkersoup, I would go right to the source and use DMX instead. Ap-pro.ru is the official website, you can find it on the forums. Much more stable than Stalkersoup, as it is the original, hasn't been recoded for whatever reason and works right out of the box. The Stalkersoup translation will also work for it.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 20, 2014

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

I didn't find Shoker to be too difficult but for some reason Clear Sky and Pripyat just don't hook me as well as Chernobyl does. Clear Sky especially as it's just so boring. To be honest I'd really love another Arsenal mod with all the guns, reload animations, and models from Shoker with the bullet damage from Autumn Aurora 2 in Chernobyl.

That's terrible, Ddraig.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

What's Shoker and how do I get it?

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

garth ferengi posted:

What's Shoker and how do I get it?

http://www.moddb.com/mods/shoker-weapon-mod

Wow, spent most of the afternoon downloading the pieces of STALKERSOUP from a LiveDrive account, only to have the thing crash unceremoniously. Deleted my SHOC directory, might try again, tomorrow.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

How can I fix this problem at the border of the screen in SoC? Occurs all the time when I get near walls. I'm only using the ZRP and a FOV fix.

If I revert the FOV fix it still happens:

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

VisAbsoluta posted:

If I revert the FOV fix it still happens:

Sadly, that is not fixable unless you were to manually increase the size of the player's collision capsule. Your camera is partially clipping inside the wall geometry, which worsens with fov increases.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

drat, I don't remember this happening before, but then again it's years since I last played SoC. Thanks for the answer!

Hauki
May 11, 2010

So I haven't played stalker in forever, saw that autumn aurora mod for SoC someone mentioned and decided to give that a go since I didn't really want to do another vanilla run. However, I can't see a loving thing, ever. There's this perennial thick grey fog, even at noon poo poo is super dark, and it's gone on for days of in-game time. Like, even with my flashlight out (at noon), I have to be literally on top of something before I can tell a rock from a pseudodog from a flesh from a tree stump from a crouched military dude. Needless to say this has caused me to die about a million times. I've tweaked gamma/brightness/contrast repeatedly, and it doesn't seem to make much difference. Is this something other people are experiencing? Did I somehow gently caress up the autoinstall? Any suggestions?

I guess there's a bit of hyperbole above, but I'm completely fed up with it at this point. Playing CoP again instead.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

The day time in AA2 is pretty darn bright but the nights are really dark and it forces you to play fairly conservatively. Maybe you just got bad luck with the weather. I had to play the whole Yantar section at midnight so, yeah.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

When I first launched AA2 i got foggy weather. Next time I played it was nice and bright and sunny. Seems like the weather glitched and got stuck in foggy mode for you?

croguy
Nov 25, 2013
I think some tinkering with the custom AA2 shader-related filters could potentially fix the visual problems with the mod. I've seen another guy clear his settings up and getting some fairly nice autumn-looking weather that way.
Also, the weather in SoC has a nasty habit of changing at random. It could be that time shifts potentially break the weather; I woke up during the night while the clock said 10AM once in another mod, but a save reload usually fixes it.

Anyhow, all this talk about LPs is really making me think about rebooting some streams in preparation for Lost Alpha. I don't know what's the policy/opinion on those, but I'm sure they'd deliver just as well as an LP or two.

croguy fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 23, 2014

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
This might be of interest to some people in this thread - Survarium doing a one-day open beta.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04/23/survarium-open-beta-stalker-2/

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alright so I need to be told how to get Shoker working or how to install it. I got it all set up how its readme tells me to do it. I try to start it from the host file in bin folder and it opens up the box, though it's all in Russian. Clicking on any of those either starts the game which instantly ctd's or it just doesn't do anything.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

lordfrikk posted:

This might be of interest to some people in this thread - Survarium doing a one-day open beta.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04/23/survarium-open-beta-stalker-2/

Funnily enough, hearing about that a couple of days ago prompted me to actually pay the $10 to get closed beta access, as it suggested to me that the game had come far enough along to be worth checking out. (And I didn't want to worry about trying to download and install it and figure out the game and so-on within a really short amount of time.)

Had a heck of a time getting it to work. The installer only works if you have Windows Firewall active (though possibly other firewalls may work too). The installer tries to add a rule or an exception to the firewall and if it can't find it then it crashes, unlike other games which just ignore it.

Turned out I couldn't even get my firewall to work, I guess it got broken when I briefly got a virus a few years ago. Only took an hour to erradicate the virus, but apparently it left my firewall in a state where it couldn't be switched back on. After hours of research and many different attempts, I eventually downloaded ReapairWindowsFirewall.exe from tweaking.com, which did the trick. Was finally able to install.

Then found that the game crashed when joining a game, unless I first set the game to a low resolution and low settings, and then turned it up once in the game. (Impressively, the resolution and graphics options can be changed INSTANTLY with no loading or restarting.) When it did crash, the error message recommended adding -max_video_memory=256 to the command line of the shortcut. Still kept getting the occasional crashes, though.

Eventualyl discovered that it didn't mean the shortcut to the launcher, it meant creating a shortcut to the survarium.exe file itself and adding it to the properties of that shortcut. Game could now work OK, except that since it was launching directly from the exe rather than going through the launcher first it was in Russian rather than English. Solution to that was to add -localization=english to the command line of the shortcut.

So yeah, I think there are going to be a lot of disappointed people on that one-day open beta. Most people will give up half way through trying to get it to work; those that don't will find they manage to get their game working properly about an hour before the beta ends.

I'm really liking the game though. It reminds me a lot of Red Orchestra, but set in the STALKER universe.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Sounds like the typical DIY game experience we all know and love. It's a true Stalker game after all.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Acquire Currency! posted:

Alright so I need to be told how to get Shoker working or how to install it. I got it all set up how its readme tells me to do it. I try to start it from the host file in bin folder and it opens up the box, though it's all in Russian. Clicking on any of those either starts the game which instantly ctd's or it just doesn't do anything.

Get the installer, install it as best you can (the important parts are in English). Make sure you have a clean install of CoP or it'll probably crash. I didn't install Atmosphere or S.W.T.C, make sure you tick the steam version check box. Launch it from the icon on the desktop and click the top button, I think. If it didn't crash or mess up, you'll be greeted with a custom load game, new game, etc screen. Also, make sure you point it at the Stalker folder, not inside it or it'll mess up too.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Monolith. posted:

Get the installer, install it as best you can (the important parts are in English). Make sure you have a clean install of CoP or it'll probably crash. I didn't install Atmosphere or S.W.T.C, make sure you tick the steam version check box. Launch it from the icon on the desktop and click the top button, I think. If it didn't crash or mess up, you'll be greeted with a custom load game, new game, etc screen. Also, make sure you point it at the Stalker folder, not inside it or it'll mess up too.

Deleted and installed cop again. Then installed shoker. I can't really decipher what it says but whatever I saw the bits about steam. I started it and while it doesn't run the game the x-ray engine is running.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Acquire Currency! posted:

Deleted and installed cop again. Then installed shoker. I can't really decipher what it says but whatever I saw the bits about steam. I started it and while it doesn't run the game the x-ray engine is running.

This sort of thing happens to me all the time. It pretty much means that the game only half-launched, and you're going to have to ctrl+alt+del and end the Xray engine process manually, then try launching again. Or, if that fails, reinstalling.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
Sometimes when the xray engine runs but the game fails to start you can still get a crashlog, so it couldn't hurt to try that. Additionally, I have been able to get around it by starting the game from a different shortcut. While loading it from the steam menu would crash Clear Sky regularly, loading it from the start menu or the actual game's folder wouldn't. I have no idea how/why that would change. Such is life in the Zone.

Ddraig, do you have PMs or an email address I could send you something?

(It won't be lovely fanfic, promise)

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Yeah I have PMs. lovely fanfic is always welcome :v:

It might have to wait until tomorrow sometime for a reply, though, as my phone's run out of data and I'm still waiting to see if my laptop is actually dead.

e:

"My idea was you were smuggled covert ops and betrayed by the stalkers/bandits and they robbed you and planned to take your 'virginity' as all bandits try with clean shaved military guys, since the zone is a wiener fest. Before that you just got away with a knife you had in your boot when they got attacked by mutties and thoughwounded you fled to the lonely house and passed out there. Just to find that the residents did not approve of you crashing their pad, since you ate their porridge. I said before right, seeing the torment of coughing and fear I think it was rather after that. Now hardened by the ordeal you have nothing to life for but to complete your mission and recover your honour, else your mission report might be quite a read.

The zone surely lacks women... "

---Misery Fanfic

I think the next thread title is going to be "You sure gotta purty cheeki breeki"

e2: you can also email me, I guess

cpdjanes at gmail dot com

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 24, 2014

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Ddraig posted:

"My idea was you were smuggled covert ops and betrayed by the stalkers/bandits and they robbed you and planned to take your 'virginity' as all bandits try with clean shaved military guys, since the zone is a wiener fest. Before that you just got away with a knife you had in your boot when they got attacked by mutties and thoughwounded you fled to the lonely house and passed out there. Just to find that the residents did not approve of you crashing their pad, since you ate their porridge. I said before right, seeing the torment of coughing and fear I think it was rather after that. Now hardened by the ordeal you have nothing to life for but to complete your mission and recover your honour, else your mission report might be quite a read.

Butt bandits :thumbsup:

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Ddraig posted:

e:

---Misery Fanfic

I think the next thread title is going to be "You sure gotta purty cheeki breeki"

What is this person even trying to say? Why do all women in the Zone immediately need to be raped? :psyduck:

E: oh butt bandits...still stupid.

MadBimber fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 24, 2014

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

That's really dumb and bad

croguy
Nov 25, 2013

Coughing Hobo posted:

Butt bandits :thumbsup:

Notably superior when compared to Beastiality Freedomer.

That guy still gives me the creeps.

croguy fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 24, 2014

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
everyone wants some hot flesh pussy :wink:

croguy
Nov 25, 2013
I think we can all agree bloodsuckers and their tentacles guarantee a better experience. :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
A footjob from a snork would probably feel amazing