Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

MMD3 posted:

is anybody else running into an issue post-update where hardly any of the art will actually load? it's odd because I can play songs and the cover art in the bottom left usually loads but in the main pane for discover or artist views none of the art loads. Really annoying and makes it almost unusable.

I have a similar issue where the art loads but it takes a really long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
So I have no idea when this happened but it looks like Spotify finally added the ability to have separate artists with the same name? At first I thought they'd removed the italo disco Kano but there's separate pages for them and the grime MC Kano. Of course there's still a million tracks on house comps still attributed to the grime Kano, but at least it's a start

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

het posted:

So I have no idea when this happened but it looks like Spotify finally added the ability to have separate artists with the same name? At first I thought they'd removed the italo disco Kano but there's separate pages for them and the grime MC Kano. Of course there's still a million tracks on house comps still attributed to the grime Kano, but at least it's a start

Possibly, I think they've had it for a while, and done it wrong often.
Some artists get replaced by others, or at least the new one gets the old one's url.
Some artists get split into two versions with/without punctuation.
The one I know was two artists stuck together still is (some obscure German and Chinese bands).

Classical, of course, is still impossible most of the time.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

scroogle nmaps posted:

Some artists get split into two versions with/without punctuation.

yeah for a long time Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Godspeed You Black Emperor were listed as separate bands but they seem to have fixed it

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
lol if some of you seriously listen to and care about having over 15000 songs. Pretty sure the average human brain cant even remember like 1000 songs unless you're some musical hobbiest genius.

I might just be picky though. I +vote individual songs I like, not entire albums that has like 2 songs I like.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Some people like variety. You don't have to remember every note to like a song.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Imapanda posted:

lol if some of you seriously listen to and care about having over 15000 songs. Pretty sure the average human brain cant even remember like 1000 songs unless you're some musical hobbiest genius.
I'm finding it difficult to put into words how deeply stupid this post is.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Imapanda posted:

I might just be picky though. I +vote individual songs I like, not entire albums that has like 2 songs I like.

Some people want a way to save albums they like (Collections) while also maintaining the ability to easily flag songs they really like (stars).

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Imapanda posted:

I would appreciate it if you would elaborate on this theory because.. what? How many songs do you think the human brain can remember? And since when is memorizing a song a requirement for liking it enough to want to store it in a playlist :psyduck:

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
I pretty much exclusively star full albums to shuffle like a radio station of bands I like. I don't care if I have any of the songs memorized, I just like variety.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

inSTAALed posted:

I pretty much exclusively star full albums to shuffle like a radio station of bands I like. I don't care if I have any of the songs memorized, I just like variety.

Same. Anything I like or am interested in checking out goes into a single gigantic playlist always set on shuffle. It's very rare for me to just play a whole album these days. It'll take me a while to hit any limit since I'm at 5,005 songs after a year and the additions come slowly now.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Imapanda posted:

Pretty sure the average human brain cant even remember like 1000 songs unless you're some musical hobbiest genius.

Sounds like you should unsubscribe from Spotify and sign up for some cognitive rehabilitation therapy instead because that's the weirdest claim I've read this year.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

slowdave posted:

Sounds like you should unsubscribe from Spotify and sign up for some cognitive rehabilitation therapy instead because that's the weirdest claim I've read this year.

I dunno man. I just tried remembering 1,000 songs and I got to 999 and then hit a total wall. Dude may be onto something.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

me your dad posted:

I dunno man. I just tried remembering 1,000 songs and I got to 999 and then hit a total wall. Dude may be onto something.

You forgot The Safety Dance, there's always room in your noggin for The Safety Dance.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I got 999 problems and I can't remember if 99 Problems is one of them or not

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I finally upgraded to Spotify Prem with that $5/mo student discount. I'm bummed I waited so long to upgrade because the phone downloading is incredibly useful as far as convenience and phone data useage go. One of my questions are: Are there radio playlists you can download? Their radio tends to be wildly successful in providing me with good music, and they do a better job of showing me new stuff than I do on my own. Is there a way to "save next 20 tracks" or something equivalent? Because I'd like to get half my phone data back that I use on Spotify radio each month.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Fwiw, i wrote spotify with some constructive criticism regarding their (awful) new iOS app and they seemed genuinely appreciative, which was enough for me, but they also extended a free month of premium without even needing to ask.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Avocados posted:

I finally upgraded to Spotify Prem with that $5/mo student discount. I'm bummed I waited so long to upgrade because the phone downloading is incredibly useful as far as convenience and phone data useage go. One of my questions are: Are there radio playlists you can download? Their radio tends to be wildly successful in providing me with good music, and they do a better job of showing me new stuff than I do on my own. Is there a way to "save next 20 tracks" or something equivalent? Because I'd like to get half my phone data back that I use on Spotify radio each month.

I use an app called "Lazify", basically you drop an artist or a bunch of songs on it and creates a playlist based on that using Lastfm data. It does make some dump choices from time to time but it's ok in general and I found some artists I really like through it.

Otherwise if you prefer the human touch you can find a playlist that you might like in Browse.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Got an iOS update today and the app is a lot faster in switching songs when I put my entire collection on shuffle. They also apologized in the patch notes for the state of the app so at least they are aware they messed up?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Charlie Mopps posted:

Got an iOS update today and the app is a lot faster in switching songs when I put my entire collection on shuffle. They also apologized in the patch notes for the state of the app so at least they are aware they messed up?

Yeah I whined about some poo poo on Twitter and their customer support people tweeted me and apologized about the "sluggishness". They have gotten a lot of poo poo over this update they are definitely well aware

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Charlie Mopps posted:

I too appreciated this. I find it's running much better now.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Sabaton have been adding Spotify exclusive commentary tracks to their albums, including their latest, Heroes. Which also got a Spotify exclusive early release today.

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

Kilonum posted:

Sabaton have been adding Spotify exclusive commentary tracks to their albums, including their latest, Heroes. Which also got a Spotify exclusive early release today.
Listened through it earlier this morning. Pretty good.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

re:Moving starred songs to Your Music

There is now an "import" button at the header of the starred playlist.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Rexides posted:

re:Moving starred songs to Your Music

There is now an "import" button at the header of the starred playlist.

Where? I don't see it. :(

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

PaganGoatPants posted:

Where? I don't see it. :(

Next to the big green PLAY button at the top.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Maybe I'm a version behind or something.

0.9.10.14.g578d (mac)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That or they haven't pushed this update to Mac yet. I'm on Windows.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I have the mac version and I have the import button. I'm .9.10.14.g578d350b though.

It can take a sec to come up sometimes, like it has to load who knows what.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I have the mac version and I have the import button. I'm .9.10.14.g578d350b though.
It's not uncommon for big services to roll out new updates to a random(ish) subset of users just to test for feedback before making it broadly available, I wouldn't be surprised if Spotify did the same thing.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

I did the import, it transferred maybe 1/3 of my starred songs and then the button disappeared for good.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
So the android app updated to a completely separate app, meaning all my offline cached music has been deleted. My office has practically zero reception so now I'm stuck here with nothing to listen to.

Thanks spotify. You could add least give me the option to update to this new app later rather than making the old one immediately useless.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

sharktamer posted:

So the android app updated to a completely separate app, meaning all my offline cached music has been deleted. My office has practically zero reception so now I'm stuck here with nothing to listen to.

Thanks spotify. You could add least give me the option to update to this new app later rather than making the old one immediately useless.

Since apparently this was due to a security concern I guess they decided the inconvenience was worth it, considering the shitstorm they would receive if there were some actual huge security breaches.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

sharktamer posted:

I have auto updates off, because sometimes app updates are broken or otherwisw terrible.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

sharktamer posted:

Yeah, the Android app had a security breach, so they had to force update everyone to a new version that has that breach fixed. Their announcement about it apologized in advance for offline music needing to be redownloaded.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Spotify stops playing whenever I launch TF2. I have no clue why.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Apparently they removed the ability to save your playlist's sorting preference as a 'feature' and the community has to vote it back up as something they want :psyduck:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Red_Fred posted:

Apparently they removed the ability to save your playlist's sorting preference as a 'feature' and the community has to vote it back up as something they want :psyduck:

:ughh:

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
This reminds me, there seems to be no way to change the order of a playlist via drag and drop, so you either need to get the order right first time, put up with it, or ditch it and start again?

Sorry, this is only for the starred playlist, which I usually use to collect a bunch of songs over the week and run it as a playlist at the weekend.

Bit annoying, as I would need to continually update a secondary playlist with starred tracks, remembering where I got to when I last did it. Oh well, at least it's a workaround.

Betjeman fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jun 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I'm tempted to buy premium just to never hear the Meek Mills Puma ad again.

It's like, the only ad I hear, and it's so goddamn annoying.

Red_Fred posted:

Is there something about making stuff like Spotify and Facebook that makes you completely goddamn idiotic as to what's a change worth making?

• Locked thread