Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Sometime ago someone recommended me a software that added right-click menu option to securely delete any file. By securely delete I mean zero out the corresponding bits on the hard drive, or however that works so that the file can't be recovered.

I can't remember the name of it so I was hoping someone could point me the right way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Sometime ago someone recommended me a software that added right-click menu option to securely delete any file. By securely delete I mean zero out the corresponding bits on the hard drive, or however that works so that the file can't be recovered.

I can't remember the name of it so I was hoping someone could point me the right way.
Eraser is quite good, and has the right-click menu.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Bouchacha posted:

It's a shame these computers are more likely to be obsolete because of software rather than hardware failure.

Isn't that a bit of a bold statement? I mean, they probably aren't using them for gaming, or keep it running 24/7.

That said, if it works fine for them and has good anti-virus and firewall software... It's not going to catch fire just by being old.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My school lets us use their group key for SSH Secure Shell. I've been using it for a few months now, and was wondering how it compares to PuTTY, which is free as I understand it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I don't know if this is necessarily a Windows question, but I'm using Windows and it's a question about software I would use in Windows, so I'll ask here.

I'm looking for a small application that would basically turn this forum into an IRC client, streaming posts in real or very-frequently-updated time. I'm a huge nerd that likes to play video games on one monitor while having the respective game's thread up on another monitor. This would be especially useful for games like Dark Souls II where the thread seems to move at several thousand posts per second.

Does this software exist?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 16, 2014

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

GreatGreen posted:

I don't know if this is necessarily a Windows question, but I'm using Windows and it's a question about software I would use in Windows, so I'll ask here.

I'm looking for a small application that would basically turn this forum into an IRC client, streaming posts in real or very-frequently-updated time. I'm a huge nerd that likes to play video games on one monitor while having the respective game's thread up on another monitor. This would be especially useful for games like Dark Souls II where the thread seems to move at several thousand posts per second.

Does this software exist?

A simple solution would be just to set up an auto-refresh plugin for firefox and leave the page open.

Conversely, googling "Convert forum thread to RSS feed" shows a few results that you may be able to work with.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Bouchacha posted:

That's really useful to know, I'll keep a lookout for those sales. The gaming components don't really matter for what my parents do.

Honestly, I would just look on ebay and the like for old corporate desktops.

I bought an old Core 2 Duo Dell Optiplex for my dad, did a clean install, job done. Reliable, compact, quiet machine. Been running for a couple of years. Costs ~$100.

Has an external drive set up for backups. As long as you backup the poo poo that matters, a $100 ex-corporate desktop every 3 or 4 years will pretty much suit a non-gamer forever.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 16, 2014

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

hooah posted:

My school lets us use their group key for SSH Secure Shell. I've been using it for a few months now, and was wondering how it compares to PuTTY, which is free as I understand it.

I prefer putty because I don't need a file menu and toolbar icons for copy/paste

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

hooah posted:

I know that PuTTY doesn't support ECDSA, which is faster than RSA except for signature verification. If your program supports it, that's a plus. (Personally, I just use Cygwin, but there's no GUI of course.)

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
PuTTY is just fine in my opinion. It does lack the ability to save usernames and/or passwords, but that's ok in my book.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Armourking posted:

Eraser is quite good, and has the right-click menu.

That was it, thanks!

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

stubblyhead posted:

PuTTY is just fine in my opinion. It does lack the ability to save usernames and/or passwords, but that's ok in my book.

The auto-login user name is one of the session options. All my sessions have user names in them. Look in Connection->Data. I know of no way to save a password but then that's not really a great idea anyway, since IIRC session data gets stored in the registry. Pageant and SSH keys or a Keepass auto-type entry have been my go-to solutions for that problem.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've tried out PuTTY for a bit today, but realized that I use SSH Secure Shell's GUI file transfer somewhat frequently, and I'd miss that with PuTTY. Good to have alternatives, though.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

hooah posted:

I've tried out PuTTY for a bit today, but realized that I use SSH Secure Shell's GUI file transfer somewhat frequently, and I'd miss that with PuTTY. Good to have alternatives, though.

PuTTY supplemented with FileZilla for that particular feature may get you what you're after

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

fletcher posted:

PuTTY supplemented with FileZilla for that particular feature may get you what you're after

Any suggestions for a good tutorial on setting that up?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

hooah posted:

Any suggestions for a good tutorial on setting that up?

In FileZilla just put in the hostname, port is 22, login is your user account, and it should prompt you for a password and figure out the rest. The only downside is that I can't find a way for it to use keys instead of passwords.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

thebigcow posted:

In FileZilla just put in the hostname, port is 22, login is your user account, and it should prompt you for a password and figure out the rest. The only downside is that I can't find a way for it to use keys instead of passwords.

Key files are in the settings screen. Settings > Connection > SFTP. Right where you would expect it, right? :rolleyes:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Another question about PuTTY: How can I get the mouse scroll wheel to scroll just a line or few at a time, rather than a whole screen?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

What's the best way to implement the OSX version of folder browsing in Windows 7? Specifically how it shows the previous list of folders.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I know of no way to save a password in PuTTY

The PuTTY fork, 'Kitty' can save passwords! http://www.9bis.net/kitty/

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Maybe not a Windows specific question but don't know where else to ask, like 10 years ago an hour long TV show would be around a 500mb file, then maybe 5 years ago it would be 300mb, and nowadays it's getting high 100's-200, is this because compression technology is getting better and better or are people just lowering the quality of things more and more? Or both?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Midnight City posted:

Maybe not a Windows specific question but don't know where else to ask, like 10 years ago an hour long TV show would be around a 500mb file, then maybe 5 years ago it would be 300mb, and nowadays it's getting high 100's-200, is this because compression technology is getting better and better or are people just lowering the quality of things more and more? Or both?

Mostly compression getting better (and computers getting faster, thus making encode/decode speed less of an issue). I think HEVC takes up about half the space of H.264 for the same quality/dimensions/chroma subsampling.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Midnight City posted:

This is completely down to compression getting better. The most important aspect of this is that computers have gotten faster and added functional hardware acceleration of both encoding and decoding.

Many of the high quality codecs we have today were around 10 years ago, or almost ready then, but your computer from then would barely be able to handle the processing power needed to play back the files. So, back then worse but much easier to decode formats were used, and they were also used at lower quality in order to try to cut file sizes down a little considering how much slower connections usually were then.

There's also that a lot of the videos from in the past would be encoded from worse sources, and dealing with the artifacts already present can boost file sizes when trying to avoid multiplying them.

Edit: You can really see the difference more computing power for better compression gets you when you look back to the 90s. You could end up with a CD-based game or something that used up 600 MB on the CD for like 40 minutes total of 320x240 video at low frame rate, where that same video data can fit into something like 50 MB in a modern codec - but on the contemporary computers the video playback being used could take up nearly all of your CPU ability, and a modern codec would playback at like one frame per minute!

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 19, 2014

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

People are still lowering the quality though, an hour-long TV show at 200MB is still going to have a few visual tradeoffs compared to another version around the 500MB mark - usually resolution, detail in fast-moving scenes, detail in shadow areas. But that's all relative, even the most harshly, rapidly compressed file is still going to blow away much larger video files from previous generations.

Also the audio compression has improved too, I'm not sure how big the gains have been in that area though (for audio streams in videos, specifically)

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

I'm tired of the PM’s asking if I actually poisoned kittens, instead look at these boobies.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

That was it, thanks!

Careful, it is pretty much useless on an SSD.

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

I'm tired of the PM’s asking if I actually poisoned kittens, instead look at these boobies.

Bouchacha posted:

What's the best way to implement the OSX version of folder browsing in Windows 7? Specifically how it shows the previous list of folders.

The addressee bar gives the path as well as clicking the arrows to see folders and quickly switch.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Intrepid00 posted:

The addressee bar gives the path as well as clicking the arrows to see folders and quickly switch.

Right, but is there a program or the like for the full-screen view?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Guy Axlerod posted:

Key files are in the settings screen. Settings > Connection > SFTP. Right where you would expect it, right? :rolleyes:

Well I'll be.

It can also use pageant as a key agent.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Intrepid00 posted:

Careful, it is pretty much useless on an SSD.

It's a mechanical drive, but now I'm curious why this is.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

SSDs do not erase things like mechanical drives do.

Mechanical drives de/remagnetize a small bit of a metallic platter (or these days a glass platter with a metallic coating).

Solid-state drives tell a block of flash memory to reset itself.

This also makes data recovery off an SSD an exercise in futility.

Really, SSDs are little computers that handle flash memory and make it look like a SATA drive to your system. The drive map your system has is orthogonal to the drive map your SSD has, because it knows it's better at handling the flash memory than the OS is, maybe better than it could ever be.

Tiny bundles of witchcraft.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 22, 2014

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Sir Unimaginative posted:

SSDs do not erase things like mechanical drives do.

Mechanical drives de/remagnetize a small bit of a metallic platter (or these days a glass platter with a metallic coating).

Solid-state drives tell a block of flash memory to reset itself.

This also makes data recovery off an SSD an exercise in futility.

Really, SSDs are little computers that handle flash memory and make it look like a SATA drive to your system. The drive map your system has is orthogonal to the drive map your SSD has, because it knows it's better at handling the flash memory than the OS is, maybe better than it could ever be.

Tiny bundles of witchcraft.

So basically if I delete something from Windows (including the Recycle Bin, of course) there's no way to recover it?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

If it hasn't gotten garbage-collected or TRIMmed yet maybe, but SSD controllers are pretty on the ball these days, and losing one NAND block is likely to ruin files these days given how prevalent compression and encryption have gotten, so 'backup goddamn everything' goes treble for them.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

How the hell am I supposed to figure out an intermittent hard locking problem on Windows 7? Procmon only works with a graceful shutdown. We've replaced hardware, and reimaged multiple times. It has to be software but I don't know how to track it down...

I tried bootlogging with Procmon and forgot I had set it up to only log a million events. It created 50 log files before locking up.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

What's the go-to renamer program? All I really want to do is rename a given set of files to take the name of the folder they're in.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Bouchacha posted:

What's the go-to renamer program? All I really want to do is rename a given set of files to take the name of the folder they're in.
ReNamer
code:
Replace using wildcards "*" with ":File_FolderName:" (skip extension)

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Is there a good program that will search and update drivers for me? I know there's a lot of gimmicky paid options. Wouldn't mind buying one just trying to find a good one.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Not just no but hell no.

For major components you should only be going to the component manufacturer (intel/nVidia/AMD/Realtek/etc) and for minor ones (like card readers and cameras, which are often board- or laptop-vendor-only) versions are often pretty specific about what they support and not even being an exact match for the extended PCI or USB ID is a guarantee.

The closest you're likely to get is something like Driver Identifier, which merely points out where updates are available - and which is still pretty useless unless you know how to do your own research, because the wrong drivers can damage your operating environment (probably not the hardware or your data anymore, but even so), cause bluescreens, or simply not work. Or just be for an older version of the OS or customized for specific hardware and not apply to you.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Does anyone have a preferred ePub reader?

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Josh Lyman posted:

Does anyone have a preferred ePub reader?

http://calibre-ebook.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So quick question about Outlook (2013).

If an email is informal I usually sign it with my initials. "pk.", except Outlook always autocorrects this to "Pk."

Is there any way to have it NOT capitalize the P? I've tried adding it to the autocorrect dictionary, no dice.