Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

mobby_6kl posted:

Which would be a problem for her how? To be fair I don't really get what her plan was anyway.

She wanted to torture him before actually killing him (as he directly stated to Liz) to get back at him for what presumably happend to her parents at the hands of the people he trained.

Tranq -> Torture -> Kill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

mobby_6kl posted:

Which would be a problem for her how? To be fair I don't really get what her plan was anyway.

Also I like to think that the whole honey pot propeller thing was written to pacify assholes like me who are still upset about how easily the factory worker folded. Now it makes perfect sense, he was FBI and deliberately guided them towards the fake plans!

Wait, THAT was the propeller that exploded? I kinda assumed they were talking about some random mission in the past -- wouldn't it take at least a year or two to go from stealing pictures to putting it on a sub?

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I give The Americans credit for attempting to accurately portray tranquilizer darts.

If I read this thread when I'm tired or stoned, I sometimes feel like it's full of Europeans judging us.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Phenotype posted:

Wait, THAT was the propeller that exploded? I kinda assumed they were talking about some random mission in the past -- wouldn't it take at least a year or two to go from stealing pictures to putting it on a sub?

The whole point behind Oleg mentioning it to Arkady is that Directorate S didn't gently caress up and the plans weren't fake, the Soviet Navy tried adapting the props for a fast attack boat ("two sizes smaller") to a Typhoon as soon as they possibly could, rushing 5 months of testing into 3 weeks. Then they redlined the engines and the prop basically disintegrated.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The handler mentioned to Phillip that they'd planted fake plans all over the country though. Oleg brought up the sped-up deployment process to point out the Soviets didn't do their due diligence to ensure the plans were any good.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Party Plane Jones posted:

The whole point behind Oleg mentioning it to Arkady is that Directorate S didn't gently caress up and the plans weren't fake, the Soviet Navy tried adapting the props for a fast attack boat ("two sizes smaller") to a Typhoon as soon as they possibly could, rushing 5 months of testing into 3 weeks. Then they redlined the engines and the prop basically disintegrated.

I thought the plans for the propeller were for a sub 'two times bigger' than the Akula. To me it sounded like they put an Ohio-class propeller on an Akula fast-attack boat. The number of dead sailors doesn't match up for an Akula, but they don't match up for a Typhoon, either - and the Soviets wouldn't have put an experimental propeller on such a high value testbed.

If anything (mil-nerd cap on), the 106 deaths figure matches up far better with a Victor I/II/III-class SSN.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Apr 18, 2014

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If anything (mil-nerd cap on), the 106 deaths figure matches up far better with a Victor I/II/III-class SSN.

The number of deaths was 160, which is the exact size of the Typhoon complement. The first Typhoons were just being deployed/starting sea trials at around that time.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Party Plane Jones posted:

The number of deaths was 160, which is the exact size of the Typhoon complement. The first Typhoons were just being deployed/starting sea trials at around that time.

A good post

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Probably the best episode this season, at least since the premiere. It's amazing that I hated Oleg so much at first and now he's fantastic, and I genuinely don't know if he's "true to the cause :ussr: " or if he's smart enough to just be really cynical about both sides.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Oh yeah, I meant to share that thought too. Oleg loving owns and is probably my favorite character right now

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

To my untrained ears it sounds like all the Soviets are native Russian speakers. It must have been a pain to only cast actors that could do that, but it adds a lot to the show.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Mu Zeta posted:

To my untrained ears it sounds like all the Soviets are native Russian speakers. It must have been a pain to only cast actors that could do that, but it adds a lot to the show.

The main Soviet cast are all either native Russians/Soviets or were raised speaking Russian.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The girl that plays Nina is legit as hell. Shes from afganistan and speaks like 4-5 languages or something

I have kind of a crush on her since one of my fetish is multi-lingual girls

Also really hot ones :shrug:

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Fetus Tree posted:

The girl that plays Nina is legit as hell. Shes from afganistan and speaks like 4-5 languages or something

She is terrific in this show. I hope she gets more high-profile work.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
She's awful in interviews, though, but yes, Nina's a really great character this season around.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Fetus Tree posted:

Apparently she speaks 6 languages, is a brown belt in karate, plays chess competitively, and has most of a Masters in global affairs from NYU. :awesome:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

CommanderApaul posted:

The main Soviet cast are all either native Russians/Soviets or were raised speaking Russian.

I love just how much attention to detail they put into this poo poo.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

precision posted:

Probably the best episode this season, at least since the premiere. It's amazing that I hated Oleg so much at first and now he's fantastic, and I genuinely don't know if he's "true to the cause :ussr: " or if he's smart enough to just be really cynical about both sides.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was planning to defect

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Tortolia posted:

I love just how much attention to detail they put into this poo poo.

That's really cool and I was actually wondering just recently if they dubbed the Russian in or how they managed to have realistic and well delivered dialog. Of course, it's always bothered me a bit whenever characters who are supposed to be native speakers clearly wouldn't be able to order a BigMac, let alone discuss foreign policy or something. It's just hilarious in Red Heat, but really weird in a serious movie - is it that hard to find a starving Russian speaking actor or just dub it in later?

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

Fetus Tree posted:

Oleg loving owns and is probably my favorite character right now

This, has anyone said who his family connections are or are we just to make a guess it is some one high up in KGB/ Party?

So the plan coming up was a real thing? Anyone have a good link to it would like to read up on it.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

mobby_6kl posted:

That's really cool and I was actually wondering just recently if they dubbed the Russian in or how they managed to have realistic and well delivered dialog.

I believe Phillip spoke Russian only once (in the first season), and it was dubbed. I don't recall ever hearing Elizabeth speak it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

She did when she was shot.

"Come home."

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

ufarn posted:

She's awful in interviews, though, but yes, Nina's a really great character this season around.

Awful how? Like, boring, or arrogant, or shy? I haven't seen or read any interviews with her, so I'm just curious.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joramun posted:

Awful how? Like, boring, or arrogant, or shy? I haven't seen or read any interviews with her, so I'm just curious.
Short answers, doesn't say much, doesn't get asked much in ensemble interviews as a result.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
she's shy! :allears:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

ally_1986 posted:

This, has anyone said who his family connections are or are we just to make a guess it is some one high up in KGB/ Party?

So the plan coming up was a real thing? Anyone have a good link to it would like to read up on it.

Well, his name is Oleg Igorevich, and there's no Igor here, unless you count Grigory Romanov: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/26th_Politburo_of_the_Communist_Party_of_the_Soviet_Union

I think they just want to keep it filed under :iiam:.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think the implication is that Oleg's dad is involved in the KGB's more criminal side of things, though I may be remembering wrong. He certainly acts like the boss at the Residentura should be afraid of pissing him off, and is not afraid to gently caress around at work with no repercussions. I don't think it's all empty arrogance, and if he does end up wanting to defect that could be huge.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Criminal to whom?

Putting things in perspective, Stan just asked his boss if he could assassinate a foreign national living legally on the embassy lmao

totally losing my mime
Aug 3, 2012

The quiet can scrape
All the calm from your bones.
But maybe it should.
Maybe we need to be hollowed
To get up and grow,
And stop fucking around,
To kick off our braces and start straightening out
Fun Shoe

ally_1986 posted:

Arkady tells Nina his father is Deputy Minister of Transportation when they first introduce him

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Fetus Tree posted:

Criminal to whom?

Putting things in perspective, Stan just asked his boss if he could assassinate a foreign national living legally on the embassy lmao

In response to the abduction and murder of a FBI agent on American soil. Neither side on this show has any claim to the moral high ground, which is one of the better things about it.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

themrguy posted:

In response to the abduction and murder of a FBI agent on American soil. Neither side on this show has any claim to the moral high ground, which is one of the better things about it.

Well, Stan already kind of impulse-murdered someone for that (Vlad), so that's pretty much a lost justification.

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

ShakeZula posted:

Well, Stan already kind of impulse-murdered someone for that (Vlad), so that's pretty much a lost justification.

It seemed less of a request, more of a warning. Time will tell.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

UtinniOnTheRocks posted:

Arkady tells Nina his father is Deputy Minister of Transportation when they first introduce him

Which is interesting, because even if it's a position of power, generally transportation was a poo poo job no one really wanted in the Soviet hierarchy. You were given impossible feats and tasks to accomplish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_in_the_Soviet_Union

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Oleg is from an "important family" so it's not necessarily just his father who's some bigshot, could be a grandfather, uncle, mother, etc. and it might not even be their job but just someone who has a close relationship with Brezhnev or Andropov

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I hope this series ends with Philip defecting to the US but not Elizabeth and the final season is them dealing with that and her suspecting him and then it culminates in a battle

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I hope the series ends with communism sweeping across the globe and all rich people being up against a wall.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

leidend posted:

I hope the series ends with communism sweeping across the globe and all rich people being up against a wall.

Spoiler alert: Nope. :haw:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Gonz posted:

Spoiler alert: Nope. :haw:

Except yes, but Elizabeth then wakes up to discover that she just had an operation on the wound sustained in season 1 finale.

[E: typo]

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 22, 2014

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
BTW, what year is it in this show? 82?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Fetus Tree posted:

BTW, what year is it in this show? 82?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Cool. I wonder how they're going to handle Return of the Jedi being released in 1983 next season. I assume it will play a fairly prominent role

• Locked thread