Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

Hah just realized that I never have to see the zero system activation ever again because Heero already hits the stage with it activated. I'll probably get the Chimera's Membership Card for him just to see how far I can push it, considering that I've already fallen into the trap of making him the best pilot.

Are you Japanese voice actor and noted SRW fan Hikaru Midorikawa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ethiser posted:

Are you Japanese voice actor and noted SRW fan Hikaru Midorikawa?

No, but I am a crazy person that finished the 1st playthrough of 2nd OGs with Masaki netting about 700 kills.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 20, 2014

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Hye, you know how in UX Banpresto had this great idea of letting you carry secrets over through multiple playthroughs? (An especially good idea because UX has a lot of secrets)

... Why didn't it show up in Z3?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Because UX and Z3 were made by different teams and it would not surprise me if Z3 started first.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Couldn't pick up Z3 last paycheck due to bills 'n stuff, but given that people have had enough time to get through Z3, how are people liking it compared to other, or even recent SRW entries?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MechaX posted:

Couldn't pick up Z3 last paycheck due to bills 'n stuff, but given that people have had enough time to get through Z3, how are people liking it compared to other, or even recent SRW entries?
I'm only about halfway through but it's the best since Z1, I think.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
From the standpoint of a Full Metal Panic fan, this game is everything I wanted and then some. From the standpoint of an SRW fan, the gameplay is smooth, the streamlined Maximum Breaks are great, the animation is (mostly) solid, the music is decent.

It's a fantastic game all around and the only competitor I can name in terms of sheer quality is OGs2.

That said, I haven't gotten past stage 9 yet. :shobon:

Caros
May 14, 2008

MechaX posted:

Great, but the 'incluson' of awakening of the trailblazer is a goddamned joke. 31 stages before you see a 00 unit and 49 before you get the quanta, which has the most bland as gently caress animations, including one they copied more or less wholesale from the 00.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Caros posted:

Great, but the 'incluson' of awakening of the trailblazer is a goddamned joke. 31 stages before you see a 00 unit and 49 before you get the quanta, which has the most bland as gently caress animations, including one they copied more or less wholesale from the 00.

Better than having you fight swarms of ELS every stage - they could have made that the mook du jour.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MechaX posted:

It's quite good. It still has the "way too easy" problem but the general stage design and structure is better than Z2. The Tag system is pretty good and fun to use, as is the combo system.

The one system I really dislike is the D-Trader system, simply because it's way too easy to get gamebreakingly powerful items.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
If I set up a japanese PSN account on my PS3, could I download japanese psp/vita games and then transfer them to my US vita? I've been thinking about getting some of the older SRW games on the japanese PSN while waiting for my copy of Z3 to arrive but I don't have a second memory card to be able to switch between accounts on my Vita.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

If I set up a japanese PSN account on my PS3, could I download japanese psp/vita games and then transfer them to my US vita? I've been thinking about getting some of the older SRW games on the japanese PSN while waiting for my copy of Z3 to arrive but I don't have a second memory card to be able to switch between accounts on my Vita.

No, you're stuck on the one account for Vita memory stick, hell I don't even know if you can dink around with a separate memory stick on the same Vita.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
SO I can't directly transfer from my ps3 to my vita if it's a different account? drat. :smith:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Please complain to Sony as loud as you can about this whenever you get the chance. I do whenever they announce a new firmware update in the vague hope that someday, someday they fix this horrible conscious decision they made about Vita's account system.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Or just be glad they didn't region lock the loving thing like Nintendo did with the 3DS.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

MonsieurChoc posted:

SO I can't directly transfer from my ps3 to my vita if it's a different account? drat. :smith:

You can, if you're willing to do a factory reset on your Vita and bind it to your Japanese PSN account. Nothing short of this will let you play a Japanese game on your Vita.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Info dump containing spoilers regarding Asakim, related to what was discussed with Onmi previously:

2chan and /m/ are having a major discussion over what Asakim's profile summary could actually mean; the main point is the following part: 名称不明の4つのスフィア.

Some people are interpreting that as him having, on top of the ones we already KNOW he has (Aries, Aquarius, Capricorn), he has another FOUR unknown spheres; but, some are arguing that 4つのスフィア actually stands for a FOURTH, unknown sphere (which would be in line with what he says in Saisei-hen).

Now, I don't think I've ever seen fourth written like that (it would usually be accompanied by some sort of counter like 第 or 目) but I find it veeeeery hard to believe that Banpresto would simply dump four spheres on him while he was locked away in ZONE.

As much poo poo as people have been flinging on them for being "lazy" in this game (which I do not agree), that doesn't seem like something that would happen.

Thoughts?

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 21, 2014

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Yeah even though it sounds like they're being weird about it I'm going to assume they are talking about a fourth sphere. If they wanted to get the rest of them in to the story this game it couldn't have been too hard just to design a new character who already collected them all. Banpresto seems like they care about having a pretty consistent narrative across games in a series.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brunom1 posted:

Info dump containing spoilers regarding Asakim, related to what was discussed with Onmi previously:

2chan and /m/ are having a major discussion over what Asakim's profile summary could actually mean; the main point is the following part: 名称不明の4つのスフィア.

Some people are interpreting that as him having, on top of the ones we already KNOW he has (Aries, Aquarius, Capricorn), he has another FOUR unknown spheres; but, some are arguing that 4つのスフィア actually stands for a FOURTH, unknown sphere (which would be in line with what he says in Saisei-hen).

Now, I don't think I've ever seen fourth written like that (it would usually be accompanied by some sort of counter like 第 or 目) but I find it veeeeery hard to believe that Banpresto would simply dump four spheres on him while he was locked away in ZONE.

As much poo poo as people have been flinging on them for being "lazy" in this game (which I do not agree), that doesn't seem like something that would happen.

Thoughts?

http://i.imgur.com/ovD4hvP.jpg

Here we go. Linked for spoilers

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Taken on its own, that would definitely mean it's referring to a quantity of four, but I don't speak Japanese so I have no idea how context affects that one fragment

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It really reads to me like "A fourth sphere with an unknown name" but I'm nowhere near a professional translator.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hokuto posted:

You can, if you're willing to do a factory reset on your Vita and bind it to your Japanese PSN account. Nothing short of this will let you play a Japanese game on your Vita.

Or you can just import a physical copy and not download any DLC.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
If they meant "A fourth sphere", I think they would have said something like "もう一個の名称不明のスフィア", rather than "名称不明の4つのスフィア". I personally believe it is meant to say "Four spheres".

But unfortunately, it can be legitimately interpreted both ways, so you won't get a definitive answer.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I don't think it's good writing to drop a plot bomb like "BTW Asakim got all the other Spheres offscreen" in a database entry, but maybe Terada's been playing too much FFXIII.

Gonna go with Asakim having a fourth unnamed Sphere.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Hokuto posted:

But unfortunately, it can be legitimately interpreted both ways, so you won't get a definitive answer.

Would it have killed the Banpresto writers to use something less ambiguous? Yeesh...

Since even 2chan isn't reaching consensus, maybe someone from Bamco will take note and Banpresto will clarify (yeah, right...).

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Why is Asakim even still a thing? He's such a tiring character at this point.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rascyc posted:

What, you don't want to hear all about his irredeemable sins anymore?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Rascyc posted:

Hikaru Midorikawa.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I dunno what it is to be honest. I guess I just find it tiring that he's opposite Masaki in every way and they're building a plot around that of all things. I suppose you could do a lot worse though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The dude was unfortunately kind of inevitably coming back considering he's the series-wide antagonist. At least we got through all of Z3.1 without him.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

The dude was unfortunately kind of inevitably coming back considering he's the series-wide antagonist. At least we got through all of Z3.1 without him.
Stop with the unmarked spoilers, seriously! Is this even a thing we need to discuss? Can't this be like any other game thread on this forum?

edit: SRW games are LONG, which means that normal people certainly won't have beaten them after only a week or two. Let's say wait a month at least, huh?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 21, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think the reason for the unmarked spoilers is most people here can't read Japanese, so they just look up all the plot the moment the game comes out since it's not like they'd understand it as they played through it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Well, this is my thread, and I am playing the game, and you guys have already spoiled two pretty important plot bits for me. I know I'm not a mod and have no official power over this but...please?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Stop with the unmarked spoilers, seriously! Is this even a thing we need to discuss? Can't this be like any other game thread on this forum?

edit: SRW games are LONG, which means that normal people certainly won't have beaten them after only a week or two. Let's say wait a month at least, huh?

Not to be a dick but other people were posting unmarked spoilers and you didn't say poo poo to them? I apologize if "this character is not in this game" is a spoiler but unmarked discussion of actual plot stuff somehow passes by? It's kind of annoying you keep jumping on me and nobody else.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The point is lost on me cause SRW games are so formulaic, I can usually see most stuff coming from a mile away and I don't even read Japanese and I assume everyone else who plays the games are in the same boat.

See a space stage with STMC? Yeah you know who is showing up.

Forced deploy with Black Getter in the mid game? Yeah you know who is showing up.

etc.

Not that this diminishes the point or anything, I suppose.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Not to be a dick but other people were posting unmarked spoilers and you didn't say poo poo to them? I apologize if "this character is not in this game" is a spoiler but unmarked discussion of actual plot stuff somehow passes by? It's kind of annoying you keep jumping on me and nobody else.
The stuff you quoted above was all marked as spoilers, that's the way it should be. Also, stuff from the animes themselves is not spoilers either obviously, since those stories already exist outside of this game. But how they appear in this game and tie into this game's story, and whether certain key characters appear or not, is definitely spoilers.

I was REALLY unhappy to learn about the Gunbuster thing the other day, since that was clearly supposed to be something that would hit the player from out of left field.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rascyc posted:

The point is lost on me cause SRW games are so formulaic, I can usually see most stuff coming from a mile away and I don't even read Japanese and I assume everyone else who plays the games are in the same boat.

See a space stage with STMC? Yeah you know who is showing up.

Forced deploy with Black Getter in the mid game? Yeah you know who is showing up.

etc.

Not that this diminishes the point or anything, I suppose.

Plus it's a game series where the initial announcement is always "Here are the series that will be in this game, also here's a preview of their attack animations". They've always seemed really open about a lot of stuff.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Samurai Sanders posted:

I was REALLY unhappy to learn about the Gunbuster thing the other day, since that was clearly supposed to be something that would hit the player from out of left field.
I guess I don't get it. They had been previewing Gunbuster for months

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rascyc posted:

I guess I don't get it. They had been previewing Gunbuster for months
No, HOW it appeared. As in the world you are in is 12k years beyond episode 6 of Gunbuster. That was definitely a surprise to me. If it wasn't to you guys that means I missed something really really big in the previews for the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Samurai Sanders posted:

No, HOW it appeared. As in the world you are in is 12k years beyond episode 6 of Gunbuster. That was definitely a surprise to me.

Dude, they're doing Aquarion EVOL in this game when Aquarion was in the previous games. You didn't expect weird timeline stuff?

• Locked thread