Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Tharizdun posted:

I can't tell if this is my favorite card or I want you to die of a wasting disease.

The flavor is perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Finished out my loose cycle from last page.

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 20, 2014

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Eeevil posted:

Finished out my loose cycle from last page.
I'm not sure if you checked out the existing cycle of allied man-lands before making these, or checked other other lands with similar effects (eg. Grove of the Guardian v. Benevolent Valley), since a lot of them are significantly worse at their rarity compared to any of their counterparts.

Not to say they're not creative, it's just that if you can't tap a land for even colorless mana the turn after it drops, it should probably be doing something better than just hanging out on your board collecting dust and hoping to be useful.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

L0cke17 posted:

'Rule 2'? Which rule are you referring to? The comprehensive rules starts at 100.X, you'll have to be more specific.

e:spelling

quote:

101.2. When a rule or effect allows or directs something to happen, and another effect states that it can’t happen, the "can’t" effect takes precedence.

You'd have to say something like "You may spend mana to pay for this activated ability as though it were an artifact spell"

Heatwizard posted:

Three manlands for the price of one! Come on down to Crazy Bob's Land Emporium!

These are ridiculously good. Make great blockers and occasionally infinite mana, yes please.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Dr. Stab posted:

These are ridiculously good. Make great blockers and occasionally infinite mana, yes please.
Yeah, I'm struggling to find what the reasoning is to cost these effects at 5 and include untapping two lands, rather than just costing them at 3 and saving yourself some real estate on the cards. Also, "lands you control" is a good rider, or Bog of Haunted Mothis gets a little silly with Curse of Death's Hold.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Manlands are cool, but what about MANNlands. Also working on a less silly version with the Triskelion effect, but I couldn't resist the joke.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 20, 2014

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Updated the reminder text to be more clear.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Serperoth posted:

Manlands are cool, but what about MANNlands. Also working on a less silly version with the Triskelion effect, but I couldn't resist the joke.

This is stupid busted and every burn deck will run 3 as it's a free Flames of the Firebrand that also taps for mana or swings for four.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Tharizdun posted:

This is stupid busted and every burn deck will run 3 as it's a free Flames of the Firebrand that also taps for mana or swings for four.

Yeah, that seems about right. You can also tutor for it with fetchlands or Farseek, so it really is little more than a pun (Isle of Mann).

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Tharizdun posted:

Yeah, I'm struggling to find what the reasoning is to cost these effects at 5 and include untapping two lands, rather than just costing them at 3 and saving yourself some real estate on the cards. Also, "lands you control" is a good rider, or Bog of Haunted Mothis gets a little silly with Curse of Death's Hold.

It's to manage the point in the game at which they come online, though now that I'm actually thinking about it it's unnecessary, so...

And they already say 'you control' in my save file, I just dragged my feet on reuploading.

e: okay

e2: vvv SIGH

Heatwizard fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 21, 2014

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
As long as you're changing them, the way it's templated, the green one makes them become creatures forever and gain the ability temporarily. Look at Lavaclaw Reaches for the correct wording.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Sleepy Owl posted:

What determines whether "until end of turn" goes at the beginning or the end of the manland ability?

:wtc:

This was from a while back, but the answer is: either! It's templated whichever way sounds best.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

A bear that blue has to work for that only works in monoblue anyway? Bump it up to 3/3 at least.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Heatwizard posted:

Noman
Island Creature
:golfclap:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Tharizdun posted:

I can't tell if this is my favorite card or I want you to die of a wasting disease.

Would giving it split second and renaming it "Sudden Soiling" be too much :regd08:?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I don't like man-lands. :colbert:
But I made some anyways...

I tried to make them feel uncommon.

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 21, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Probably way too good, but here's the goddess of harvest, death, etc.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
My first idea was for a man-land that activated for "free" on a more limited basis. Something for an aggro deck maybe.

This should be self explanatory.

I wanted a sort of do nothing man-land as well. Someone could figure out a use for it.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

More horror movie land. Innistrad has so much flavor space unexplored, they gotta go back. Maybe on the revisit we can get a better third set than Restored :v:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Two other, more serious, versions of the Isle of Mann.

The first one is colorless, with no color identity (the blue shading is a remnant from the original one, but it kinda adds flavor so I'm not in a huge rush to fix it), and the second one is an Island, both with the Triskelion-esque ability. The Island is balanced by entering tapped (making it not strictly better than a basic Island, whereas the other one doesn't come tapped, so it can tap for one of any color right from the start, but can produce no color without losing counters.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Meant for tempo decks. Connect for damage, lose a land, take your opponent down a couple of notches.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Took a while to come up with one I liked for this challenge.

Primal Clay has to come from SOMEWHERE. :v:
A manland that becomes a better-than-average creature, but you take pain damage if you tap or attack, so (I like to think) it balances out.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Primal Clay has to come from SOMEWHERE. :v:
A manland that becomes a better-than-average creature, but you take pain damage if you tap or attack, so (I like to think) it balances out.
Either get rid of the damage clause or drop the activation to (1) because there's no reason to ever play this card. Primal Clay wasn't great on its best day, and paying almost its whole casting cost every turn AND taking 1 damage is ridiculously prohibitive, especially compared to Mutavault (granted, one of the best man-lands ever) or even Mishra's Factory.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Tharizdun posted:

Either get rid of the damage clause or drop the activation to (1) because there's no reason to ever play this card. Primal Clay wasn't great on its best day, and paying almost its whole casting cost every turn AND taking 1 damage is ridiculously prohibitive, especially compared to Mutavault (granted, one of the best man-lands ever) or even Mishra's Factory.

I first read this and I was thinking "Pshaw, Mutavault is a 2/2 for 2 and it's pretty much the best manland".

Turns out that Mutavault activates for 1, not 2.

Something something bad at wizard poker.

e:

Pseudoscorpion fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 22, 2014

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

A card with the potential to generate insane mana, but until it kills things it doesn't do much.

Good Username Here
Aug 20, 2012

~No devil on my shoulder!~

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

I really don't want that mana.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Pseudoscorpion posted:

I first read this and I was thinking "Pshaw, Mutavault is a 2/2 for 2 and it's pretty much the best manland".

Turns out that Mutavault activates for 1, not 2.

Something something bad at wizard poker.

e:

:argh:

Here's my other one

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Buffed some lands. GW one is probably still weak.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Tried to make Eldrazi flavored tentacle-tribal lands

Themed on Cthulhu/Eldrazi slowly breaking out of their prison one tendril at a time.

Eldrazi are known for consuming all the vibrant mana, so this card "eats" your basic lands to produce that delicious colorless mana while becoming more powerful.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Speaking of Shimmering Grotto,

cuntman.net fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 25, 2014

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Entries closed. Judging in a little while, depending on if I can do this before work.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Honorable Mentions

Eeevil's Genesis Garden

Dr. Stab's Farmland

Ramos' Port of the Seaway Spirits

Napoleon Bonaparty's Shimmer Fields

4th
U-DO Burger's Army of Barkness

Here's the entry whose owner should actually be dying of a wasting disease. It's a really sweet design though. I'm honestly trying to just judge on that, but I'm getting little flashes of an alternate universe self who got an entry like this except that it was a Legendary Treefolk lord with awesome flavour text in iambic pentameter or something, and it won as soon as he saw it.

3rd
Eeevil's Fiery Hellscape

This is artfully and skilfully themed, which makes for a delightful card to read. In as much as something called Fiery Hellscape littered with mentions of sacrifice and paying life and demons can ever be described as delightful, anyway.

2nd
Tharizdun's Thunderscar Cliffs

This card takes a couple of reads to get properly (or at least I needed them) but when you do there's a lot to recommend it. (Though for that reason and more, I would not at all have placed it at common). In common with the winner, this card dodged something that I thought a couple of otherwise good designs in the contest hit: there's nothing more to learn about them once you've skim-read them, no room for a player to explore as they use it.

1st
Heatwizard's Soil Strike

Your punning is hideous, but you went into space for the contest that was both plausible for a Magic card and not too obvious either. It has subtleties but a new player can pick it up and want it too. I wonder if the land should be coloured when it becomes a creature (G or R/G?), but otherwise this is a great card.
Crap, you were the one before me? Uh. Oh well, Eeevil got it in succession, you can too.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

damnit

Alright well, I'll figure out a theme while prereleasing tomorrow in the morning.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

I'm short on ideas I think are both good to make challenges around and things that I could reasonably judge without wanting to hang myself, so if it's alright I'd prefer to just concede to Tharizdun rather than hold up the thread any longer.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Contest: VERY Old School

Magic has done a lot to standardize verbiage, to make certain words mean certain things, and whenever possible to have common-language meaning of words be accurate. That doesn't mean it was always this way. Older cards had a certain poetry to them, that made sense when you read them (though were confusing as gently caress when actual rules came up around them). Cards like

Rock Hydra

Read clean, though their oracle wording is much, much tighter. Then there are cards that do a lot of individual things, but instead of just saying it on three lines, instead it's one giant paragraph:

Finally, there's cards that, due to their wording, take on a life of their own! :haw:

Wizards has made the wording and rules much clearer (though there has been the occasional nod, like this):

This week's contest is to design a card that uses "the old ways." Feel free to spell out what haste does, use the word "Bury" and generally make it look like it could have been printed in the stone ages of design. Extra points for super-flavor-first mechanics and using the old card frames. Let's get old! Deadline is Midnight PST, Saturday May 3rd, and judging sometime Sunday.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 28, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

There is a lot of loving emo and anime art of Jace on Deviant Art, let me tell you.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 28, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ramos posted:

There is a lot of loving emo and anime art of Jace on Deviant Art, let me tell you.

The "Jace is a player." line with no further explanation is amazing. Also, Healing Salve is a beast on this guy. Nice nod to Serendib Efreet too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Tharizdun posted:

The "Jace is a player." line with no further explanation is amazing. Also, Healing Salve is a beast on this guy. Nice nod to Serendib Efreet too.

The nod to unsummon is pretty clever too. :golfclap:

• Locked thread