Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

It's kind of confusing.

I mean Columbus games should be in the Cleveland, Dayton, Akron, Canton, and Cincy markets. (I'll argue that Toledo is likely more Red Wings country, and the Penguins should be for Youngstown due to proximity).

If I can recall, while at a hotel in the Columbus area, I could receive both Reds, and Tribe games at the same time.

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/assets/3310263/NHL_TV_Markets.jpg

I mean according to this map, I could be on the border line to get both Penguins AND Jackets games. If that's the case allow me to get them or show me the game on NBCSN at least!

e: Apparently we live in Penguins country according to a coverage thing I entered in at NHL.com, yet we do not receive Root Sports in any capacity.

We're in a bit of a goofy spot where we get both Fox Sports Detroit and FS-Ohio networks, but yeah I don't know for the sake of broadcasts exactly who 'claims' Toledo. I want to say it's Detroit though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

DJExile posted:

We're in a bit of a goofy spot where we get both Fox Sports Detroit and FS-Ohio networks, but yeah I don't know for the sake of broadcasts exactly who 'claims' Toledo. I want to say it's Detroit though.

Officially, Toledo is its own broadcast market.

For the Lions and NFL games, Detroit is a primary market, with Lansing, Flint/Saginaw, Grand Rapids, Traverse City/Cadillac, and Alpena listed as Lions-friendly markets. (The western half of the U.P. is Packers country.)

For the Tigers, all of Michigan is their territory, with Toledo as Indians territory.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ha, that's awesome. I've never seen that before.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cleveland seems like it's still kind of a mess.

Common sense would have been after Fox Sports bought out Sports Time Ohio, that they would have just had moved the Cavs to STO, then have made that the Cleveland-oriented channel.

From there the option to air the Cavs and Tribe should have remained in Colunbus via having that channel (and perhaps claiming that as a split town), and then to either have Cleveland get it's Hockey from Root Sports Pittsburgh, and/or the Cincy/Columbus-oriented FSNOhio.

But it appears there's still three version of "Fox Sports" in Ohio. Which is really one too many.

I kind of wonder if it's due to three baseball teams kind of being exclusive to their respective regions and causing the problem.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

When I lived in Erie, we got Buffalo on the TV, the local stations and the papers covered the Cleveland teams, but everyone was a Pittsburgh fan. Basically everyone was on a different page, it was awful.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Sash! posted:

When I lived in Erie, we got Buffalo on the TV, the local stations and the papers covered the Cleveland teams, but everyone was a Pittsburgh fan. Basically everyone was on a different page, it was awful.

To be fair, "it was awful" is a good summary of Erie in general, so it was nice of them all to stay committed to that theme.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Craig Sager's son stepped in for him and interviewed Popovich. It's pretty great. :unsmith:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

Cleveland seems like it's still kind of a mess.

Common sense would have been after Fox Sports bought out Sports Time Ohio, that they would have just had moved the Cavs to STO, then have made that the Cleveland-oriented channel.

From there the option to air the Cavs and Tribe should have remained in Colunbus via having that channel (and perhaps claiming that as a split town), and then to either have Cleveland get it's Hockey from Root Sports Pittsburgh, and/or the Cincy/Columbus-oriented FSNOhio.

But it appears there's still three version of "Fox Sports" in Ohio. Which is really one too many.

I kind of wonder if it's due to three baseball teams kind of being exclusive to their respective regions and causing the problem.

My understanding was that there's intention for STO to be the Cleveland Fox Sports channel but the current Cavs TV deal has to expire first. My former roommate interned at STO for a few years and says that's what he was told. Makes sense to me but who knows how true it is.

In Columbus, we have a Fox Sports Alternate HD channel that only shows stuff when any two of the Reds, Jackets, Cavs are playing at the same time. On regular cable, they take the Time Warner preview channel and just air the other game on there so people can see it.

We get loving hosed on the Pirates though. We're in the Pirates blackout area but nobody offers ROOT, so there's literally no legal way whatsoever to watch the Pittsburgh Pirates in Columbus unless they're on national television or playing Cincy/Cleveland. Even if you have ROOT through satellite, they black out Pirates games.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

My understanding was that there's intention for STO to be the Cleveland Fox Sports channel but the current Cavs TV deal has to expire first. My former roommate interned at STO for a few years and says that's what he was told. Makes sense to me but who knows how true it is.

This is what I've heard as well. They still can't officially call it "Fox Sports ____" (whether that'd be Cleveland-specific or Ohio, I don't know) until the cavs deal dies, which I think is next year.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

sportsgenius86 posted:

We get loving hosed on the Pirates though. We're in the Pirates blackout area but nobody offers ROOT, so there's literally no legal way whatsoever to watch the Pittsburgh Pirates in Columbus unless they're on national television or playing Cincy/Cleveland. Even if you have ROOT through satellite, they black out Pirates games.

New Orleans basketball was similar to this for a while. Cox Sports was the channel that the Hornets games were on, but only 37% of the city subscribed to providers that carried that channel. As a result, things like League Pass Broadband were blocked out. There was no way for viewers to get Hornets games and Sunday Ticket. I think Houston was/is in a similar situation but across more sports?

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
Up here between Weirton/Steubenville and Wheeling we get all the Pittsburgh channels but while Root Sports and PCNC are in the actual cable listings, all the network stations are back in the 190s and 200s. Odd considering for years you could pick up Steubenville's WTOV-9 in Pittsburgh on channel 9.

Huntington is really weird too. Maybe it was just the hotel we stayed at, but we got Root Sports but not Cincy or Columbus, which it's closer to.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Keyshawn Johnnson got arrested for domestic violence:

quote:

Law enforcement officials told TMZ that things allegedly got physical, which ended in Johnson supposedly smashing the phone of his girlfriend, cutting her hand in the process.

That confrontation lead to Johnson being arrested for misdemeanor domestic battery and booked. The former USC Trojan star posted the $20,000 bond and is out on bail.

He could get canned over this. ESPN could easily find a recently retired player who's a bigger name to fill his shoes.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

commy gun posted:

He could get canned over this. ESPN could easily find a recently retired player who's a bigger name to fill his shoes.
Brett Favre, for instance.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Brett Favre can't take a studio job, he needs to keep working out in case someone needs the ol' gunslinger to ride again.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

Brett Favre can't take a studio job, he needs to keep working out in case someone needs the ol' gunslinger to ride again.
Okay. MNF crew. He'll be right there at the stadium in case somebody goes down.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

Up here between Weirton/Steubenville and Wheeling we get all the Pittsburgh channels but while Root Sports and PCNC are in the actual cable listings, all the network stations are back in the 190s and 200s. Odd considering for years you could pick up Steubenville's WTOV-9 in Pittsburgh on channel 9.

Huntington is really weird too. Maybe it was just the hotel we stayed at, but we got Root Sports but not Cincy or Columbus, which it's closer to.

I mean it's really an outdated concept at this point.

I'm kind of shocked one cannot go À la carte, pick the teams they like, and then be guaranteed said Team's individual channels.

Fox Sports Ohio/Sports Time Ohio/Root Pittsburgh are dinosaurs at this point. The same is very much true with DirecTV/Time Warner Cable.

A far better option would be to have a series of individual channels for the 92 teams out there. These channels could be accessed anywhere from your cable plan, XBOX, Tablet, IPhone or PC.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 21, 2014

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

My parents live in Parkersburg and they get Root but FSOhio. Although they have a channel that only airs the feed during Reds games for whatever reason.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MourningView posted:

It's also probably a little creepier if he works with the people he sends dick pics to...

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

Mornacale posted:

To be fair, "it was awful" is a good summary of Erie in general, so it was nice of them all to stay committed to that theme.

i drove through there once and there was a building called the Polish Sharpshooters Club so it cant be all bad.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

erezaka posted:

i drove through there once and there was a building called the Polish Sharpshooters Club so it cant be all bad.

Aside from this business, which always seemed like it was asking for trouble: http://goo.gl/maps/ssA2o Erie was a pretty miserable place all around.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Sash! posted:

Aside from this business, which always seemed like it was asking for trouble: http://goo.gl/maps/ssA2o Erie was a pretty miserable place all around.

This is like the store I would have opened when I was 8.

Or now, honestly.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

MourningView posted:

Or now, honestly.

I'm sure there's a businessman aspiring to retire in Erie, PA that has the deal for you.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

FuzzySkinner posted:

I mean it's really an outdated concept at this point.

I'm kind of shocked one cannot go À la carte, pick the teams they like, and then be guaranteed said Team's individual channels.

Fox Sports Ohio/Sports Time Ohio/Root Pittsburgh are dinosaurs at this point. The same is very much true with DirecTV/Time Warner Cable.

A far better option would be to have a series of individual channels for the 92 teams out there. These channels could be accessed anywhere from your cable plan, XBOX, Tablet, IPhone or PC.

It's not shocking at all, the system you describe is simply less profitable to pro sports than the current one of exclusive territories and blackout regions.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MourningView posted:

Or now, honestly.

To make it a bit stranger, it had two locations. But only one said "Karate Supplies" on the side. The second one has since been turned into a fireworks and jelly beans store (http://goo.gl/maps/nSvVm), which might be the single most unusual business anywhere.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Sash! posted:

To make it a bit stranger, it had two locations. But only one said "Karate Supplies" on the side. The second one has since been turned into a fireworks and jelly beans store (http://goo.gl/maps/nSvVm), which might be the single most unusual business anywhere.
When I was a kid, there was a town in rural Wisconsin by an aunt and uncle that had a business-zoned building owned by a husband and wife combo. One half was a pharmacy owned by the wife and the other half was a small firearms and ammunition store owned by the husband.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

ElwoodCuse posted:

It's not shocking at all, the system you describe is simply less profitable to pro sports than the current one of exclusive territories and blackout regions.

I'm not certain that's true anymore. With the combination of fans all over and more ubiquitous internet, the ability to offer yourself to the most people at all times seems like the best way to go.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Sash! posted:

Karate, Fireworks, AND Jellybeans? That dude is living the dream.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Badfinger posted:

I'm not certain that's true anymore. With the combination of fans all over and more ubiquitous internet, the ability to offer yourself to the most people at all times seems like the best way to go.

It definitely is true. But you're not wrong. It's just that advertising hasn't caught up with the new technology yet. Ad time on the actual cable channels are still worth a hell of a lot more money than streaming (and mlb.tv barely even has commercials).

Which is why I can't believe these channels are throwing so much money at these baseball teams when the contract is up.

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

Might be the hotel, I lived there for years and basic cable had FSN Pitt and Ohio. But obviously it's been a while since I checked if I'm calling it FSN Pittsburgh :v:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 16 days!)

Sash! posted:

BEST WINGS USA
QUAKER STATE
& LUBE

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

Peanut President posted:

BEST WINGS USA
QUAKER STATE
& LUBE

That's Quaker Steak, you uncultured heathen.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Mahoning posted:

It definitely is true. But you're not wrong. It's just that advertising hasn't caught up with the new technology yet. Ad time on the actual cable channels are still worth a hell of a lot more money than streaming (and mlb.tv barely even has commercials).

Which is why I can't believe these channels are throwing so much money at these baseball teams when the contract is up.

Cable channels could stream their feed and you'd get all the commercially goodness right there on your not-television. Just because they do not doesn't mean they shouldn't or can't.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

That's Quaker Steak, you uncultured heathen.

Hahah oh wow. I really thought that was a Quaker State place.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

Peanut President posted:

Hahah oh wow. I really thought that was a Quaker State place.

It's a chain. Their first restaurant was an old closed Quaker State Station that became available when QS started closing in the Gas Crisis in the 70s.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

That's amazing.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Badfinger posted:

Cable channels could stream their feed and you'd get all the commercially goodness right there on your not-television. Just because they do not doesn't mean they shouldn't or can't.

I agree, I don't know why they don't do this in the first place for mlb.tv. I'd love to see Cincinnati commercials again. Skyline and Goldstar Chili especially.

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

It's a chain. Their first restaurant was an old closed Quaker State Station that became available when QS started closing in the Gas Crisis in the 70s.

Gee, you think they'd use some sort of gas station-type decor if that were the case....

Seriously I hate walking into any Quaker Steak but I just can't help it....

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
In actual sports broadcasting news:

quote:

@MLBNetworkPR 4h
Just announced: Ryan Dempster, 16-yr veteran pitcher & 2013 #WorldSeries champ, joins @MLBNetwork as a studio analyst.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

That's amazing.

Their wings are really tasty, as is their sauce.

I used to go to the one in Cranberry/Butler all the time, and then we finally got one in our hometown.

Bonus? There's a poo poo ton of NASCAR memorabilia at every one I've been to. (Sharon, Cranberry/Butler, and North Canton).

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Mahoning posted:

I agree, I don't know why they don't do this in the first place for mlb.tv. I'd love to see Cincinnati commercials again. Skyline and Goldstar Chili especially.

I'm sure they would if those places and products paid them money to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

MLB network is just going to be Kevin Millar and his buddies before too long.