Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

The stuff you quoted above was all marked as spoilers, that's the way it should be. Also, stuff from the animes themselves is not spoilers either obviously, since those stories already exist outside of this game. But how they appear in this game and tie into this game's story, and whether certain key characters appear or not, is definitely spoilers.

And then there was a long conversation about it outside of spoilers but I'm the guy you decide to jump on, despite the fact that I've been attempting to keep things behind spoilers and have only responded outside of spoilers when other people have done it first.

I have no problem with wanting to avoid spoilers. I've been trying to keep things behind spoilers for that reason and my first response to that conversation was a picture linked specifically to avoid spoiling.

I'm not trying to spoil for you, I am legitimately sorry I ruined a reveal for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

On the other hand how else could someone say "There's a chance the next game might have Diebuster!" in a way that would alert people that aren't big on the story but are still interested in that stuff because Diebuster owns?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

And then there was a long conversation about it outside of spoilers but I'm the guy you decide to jump on, despite the fact that I've been attempting to keep things behind spoilers and have only responded outside of spoilers when other people have done it first.

I have no problem with wanting to avoid spoilers. I've been trying to keep things behind spoilers for that reason and my first response to that conversation was a picture linked specifically to avoid spoiling.
I never actually named you. You took responsibility the last time but I didn't understand why, since you didn't start it.

edit:

Kanos posted:

Dude, they're doing Aquarion EVOL in this game when Aquarion was in the previous games. You didn't expect weird timeline stuff?
Okay yeah, that is not something I should have seen coming, but still, spoilers are spoilers.

edit: vvv yeah you're right I did, but only because you were the most recent post.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 21, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Like I said, I'm not trying to ruin poo poo for you and I'm sorry if I did. I'll be more careful in the future.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 21, 2014

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
Man, J is such a drat slog. It's been forever since I played the English translated games, but they still scratch that weird itch, I guess.

The OG games aren't as bad about the never-ending enemy/boss waves, right? I don't remember them being that bad, but like I said it's been forever since I played them.

When are J's originals gonna show up in a console game? The Granteed is drat overpowered and also looks pretty cool, it should be in more games.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

PurplieNurplie posted:

Man, J is such a drat slog. It's been forever since I played the English translated games, but they still scratch that weird itch, I guess.

The OG games aren't as bad about the never-ending enemy/boss waves, right? I don't remember them being that bad, but like I said it's been forever since I played them.

When are J's originals gonna show up in a console game? The Granteed is drat overpowered and also looks pretty cool, it should be in more games.
The main line series like Z and OG are nowhere near the slogs that the B-team games are, yeah.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

You're in luck. J is pretty much guaranteed to show up in the next OG game whenever that gets made.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The GBA Original Generation games were a slog from what I remember. Lots of water stages, lots of HP sponges, etc.

They streamlined it a lot in the remakes though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rascyc posted:

The GBA Original Generation games were a slog from what I remember. Lots of water stages, lots of HP sponges, etc.

That's true, but what gets me about the B-team games is extra grunts showing up for no reason on the opposite side of the map, just as you've finished off the enemies that actually matter to the story. Sometimes they don't even come towards you, forcing you to move your whole army across the map just to end the drat stage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

The water stages really weren't as bad as they seemed. Most Genspests functioned fine in water, you had a bunch of flying units and you got a couple of Water Jets for anything that didn't fit the above.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I mean more that they were really boring.

Incidentally on this topic, the tile work in Z3 is really great. There's a lot of little touches here and there. There was even a little spinning radar dish on one of the maps in the middle of no where.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The tile work is pretty good but I think some of the battle backgrounds are horrible. The one that shows up when you are next to water in a city is embarrassing. It is a flat gray surface with lovely looking "water" behind it.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's true, but what gets me about the B-team games is extra grunts showing up for no reason on the opposite side of the map, just as you've finished off the enemies that actually matter to the story. Sometimes they don't even come towards you, forcing you to move your whole army across the map just to end the drat stage.

My response to that is to camp my guys out and wait. They'll eventually lose patience and start moving after another 3 turns or so. :v:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

PurplieNurplie posted:

Yeah, I think there was a scene in Dark Prison that had some dudes on a ship freaking out over sensors reacting to something from the moon. A lot of people are wondering how they'll handle the mechs since there's technically 4 playable mechs for 2 characters, 2 reals, 2 supers. Maybe they'll do something like what they did with the D crew, give Toya the Coustwell and Calvina the Bellzelute and give them the Granteed and Vorlent as secrets.

And yeah, J is a slog in the end, particularly in the last few Seed stages where every other enemy faction decides to come and party at Jachin Due and they all have around 3 or 4 bosses each with anywhere to 30-100k HP.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Does anyone know why Orguss has two ALL weapons? What's the point of using the weaker, non-post-movement one?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

TARDISman posted:

Yeah, I think there was a scene in Dark Prison that had some dudes on a ship freaking out over sensors reacting to something from the moon. A lot of people are wondering how they'll handle the mechs since there's technically 4 playable mechs for 2 characters, 2 reals, 2 supers. Maybe they'll do something like what they did with the D crew, give Toya the Coustwell and Calvina the Bellzelute and give them the Granteed and Vorlent as secrets.

And yeah, J is a slog in the end, particularly in the last few Seed stages where every other enemy faction decides to come and party at Jachin Due and they all have around 3 or 4 bosses each with anywhere to 30-100k HP.

The worst thing with J is it's very rare that two enemy factions will actually interact with units, so you're not likely to say... have the Nadesico enemies and SEED enemies on one map to fight, no it'll be you kill one faction, then the next one spawns in, then you kill them and the next one spawns in.

There are a few moments in the game they actually bother to Crossover in this crossover game, but J is all about series separation. the insanity of G Gundam and how it's meant to work is very confusing

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Samurai Sanders posted:

Does anyone know why Orguss has two ALL weapons? What's the point of using the weaker, non-post-movement one?

Softening up the enemy to let someone else get the kills and exp?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Samurai Sanders posted:

Don' have the game in front of me but I think the better one has a morale requirement to go with it

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rascyc posted:

Don' have the game in front of me but I think the better one has a morale requirement to go with it
The better one is 110 so that's hardly much. Also they have the same hit modifier and ammo count (10, more than enough to basically not run out) but the better one has 25% critical modifier while the other one is -5%.

There's an interesting item that just appeared at the shop, the description is あらゆることの発生率が10%有利になる. Does that mean all good effects are 10% more likely to happen and all bad effects 10% less likely? Even things like enemy bunshin effects and stuff? Hell, does it affect hit chances? Surely not.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Apr 21, 2014

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Samurai Sanders posted:

Doesn't the weaker one have longer range?

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
GBA's OG2 is pretty good and actually one of the more "challenging in a good way" SRW games.

There's no endless waves of reinforcements and it's a thing of J because I think the "graphical upgrade" really pushed the GBA's hardware to the limit that they had to abuse reinforcements to fit in as many units as they wanted per stage... or so I've heard.

Anyway, not saying that OG2 is perfect, because there IS indeed a certain period of time when the game becomes the slog due to HP sponge bosses/grunts, but that's mostly in the end-game of OG2 while J's sloggery is almost pretty much consistent.

I guess the PS2 version sort of reduces the slog by virtue of just making everything easier since they wasn't very careful about fitting the old elements into the new system they created.

Emuticus
Jan 23, 2013

PurplieNurplie posted:

Stuff about J.

It's a pretty big slog, all the way to the end. It is pretty satisfying though, even though it's not the greatest game, to play a non-OG SRW in English. I remember enjoying it, after I learned to ignore all the SEED plot.

And I do believe J shows up in the next OGs game, due to a certain thing near the end of the game that I'm hopefully not spoiling by alluding to it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Davzz posted:

GBA's OG2 is pretty good and actually one of the more "challenging in a good way" SRW games.

There's no endless waves of reinforcements and it's a thing of J because I think the "graphical upgrade" really pushed the GBA's hardware to the limit that they had to abuse reinforcements to fit in as many units as they wanted per stage... or so I've heard.

Anyway, not saying that OG2 is perfect, because there IS indeed a certain period of time when the game becomes the slog due to HP sponge bosses/grunts, but that's mostly in the end-game of OG2 while J's sloggery is almost pretty much consistent.

I guess the PS2 version sort of reduces the slog by virtue of just making everything easier since they wasn't very careful about fitting the old elements into the new system they created.

I donno, OG2 was pretty easy on its own. I mean it was the game that gave us the Wild Wurger L after all.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I mean it was the game that gave us the Wild Wurger L after all.
Well, no argument that it's broken, but it's a secret unit that you might not get if you don't use an FAQ and comes in around 2/3s of the game, which is still ample time to use it, but it isn't exactly handed to you on Mission 1, I guess.

I mean, when I say challenging I mean relatively for an SRW game compared to something like W and Z2-2 anyway which were DBZ in Robot form except for maybe a handful of scenarios.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Eurogamer came out with an article for SRW.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-21-all-is-fair-in-love-and-super-robot-wars

Man, I dunno either.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Eurogamer came out with an article for SRW.
Seems like just a regular "Semi-introduction to SRW" that comes around every so often.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Oh, it's buy this guy http://www.mechadamashii.com/author/ollie/

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Dear lord, somebody in that comments section is actually disappointed the article's not about that shithead Robot Wars that sucked up the title trademark in English-speaking nations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I can't tell if the animations for Black Getter have improved or if it's just a function of it being on a much bigger screen, but drat, Black Getter! You rock!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ImpAtom posted:

I donno, OG2 was pretty easy on its own. I mean it was the game that gave us the Wild Wurger L after all.

You're not likely to know about it the first time through.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Levantine posted:

I can't tell if the animations for Black Getter have improved or if it's just a function of it being on a much bigger screen, but drat, Black Getter! You rock!
For practical reasons, am I going to have to give up Black Getter when I get Shin Getter? Or is there some way around that this time?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

You can change back to Black Getter at any time.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ethiser posted:

You can change back to Black Getter at any time.
No I mean, will that result in having to bench Benkei and Hayato, like usual?

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
They will be sub-pilots of the Black Getter.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
That was how it was in Z2. All you gave up on was the transforming, but it's not like anyone used those for anything except getting closer before Getter Beaming.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Silentman0 posted:

That was how it was in Z2. All you gave up on was the transforming, but it's not like anyone used those for anything except getting closer before Getter Beaming.
Oh, it was? I must have remembered wrong. I thought the whole idea was that all but the one pilot seat was destroyed/built over.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Silentman0 posted:

Mach Shadow owns :colbert:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Samurai Sanders posted:

For practical reasons, am I going to have to give up Black Getter when I get Shin Getter? Or is there some way around that this time?

I literally just got Black Getter (i'm going slowly) so I don't know the answer. I hope that's not the case though.

EDIT: Also I know the Gundam Mk II might not be a real high tier unit, but drat if it doesn't look stylish in action. I just aced Emma in it and I'm pretty happy with her performance, though she's made to be a support and not a lead, given her Ace Bonus IMO.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 21, 2014

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Levantine posted:

I literally just got Black Getter (i'm going slowly) so I don't know the answer. I hope that's not the case though.

EDIT: Also I know the Gundam Mk II might not be a real high tier unit, but drat if it doesn't look stylish in action. I just aced Emma in it and I'm pretty happy with her performance, though she's made to be a support and not a lead, given her Ace Bonus IMO.

... You aced Emma before getting Black Getter? How the hell did you manage that? Are there even enough enemies that early for that to be possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Infinity Gaia posted:

... You aced Emma before getting Black Getter? How the hell did you manage that? Are there even enough enemies that early for that to be possible?

No, you're right. I don't think there are enough enemies to ace anyone at that point. I'm cheesing it and using a NG+ save. Emma didn't have Ace on that file so I set about getting it for her. I just really enjoy Emma and the Mk II.

• Locked thread