Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
I've been reading a lot about Indys, are they as amazing as everyone makes them out to be? Mid-size softish ones, yeah. Like 55-60mm, low/mid 80s duro. Recommendations? PennyBoard wheels seem ok price wise at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoeyTrez
Mar 2, 2014
So I started skating last semester (I'm 22, so a little late) and learned on a Penny Nickel cruiser. I've got skating down pretty much in terms of just cruising, but I recently got myself a regular wooden board to learn ollies and tricks and whatnot. I'm having tons of trouble just being able to keep my balance on that board and moving to position myself for an Ollie. Anyone have any tips to help keep balance and start learning how to Ollie and stuff? I figured it'd eventually come with practice but for the life of me I can't find the balance.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Indys have been a lot of peoples go-to trucks for a long time for good reason. They can do a bit of everything. I've taken 215s up to almost 30mph and I know people who can do that then ride a park on the same board with no changes on 169s.
As for wheels, I'm not sure what the street people would say, but as a longboarder I'd go with Venom Street Snakes, Abec 11 NoSkoolz, Metro MiniMotions, or something similar. I have some old Venom Sidewinders on my Earth wing double kick that are worn down to Street Snakes size and they're awesome

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

JoeyTrez posted:

So I started skating last semester (I'm 22, so a little late) and learned on a Penny Nickel cruiser. I've got skating down pretty much in terms of just cruising, but I recently got myself a regular wooden board to learn ollies and tricks and whatnot. I'm having tons of trouble just being able to keep my balance on that board and moving to position myself for an Ollie. Anyone have any tips to help keep balance and start learning how to Ollie and stuff? I figured it'd eventually come with practice but for the life of me I can't find the balance.

Sorry, but the only real tip is just keep at it. Just try over again a thousand times, and you'll get more and more comfortable until it's second nature. Remember to add more and more speed as you're getting better at tricks too, it'll improve your style and technique a lot.

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax

Horizontal Tree posted:

Indys have been a lot of peoples go-to trucks for a long time for good reason. They can do a bit of everything. I've taken 215s up to almost 30mph and I know people who can do that then ride a park on the same board with no changes on 169s.
As for wheels, I'm not sure what the street people would say, but as a longboarder I'd go with Venom Street Snakes, Abec 11 NoSkoolz, Metro MiniMotions, or something similar. I have some old Venom Sidewinders on my Earth wing double kick that are worn down to Street Snakes size and they're awesome

I'll pick up a set as soon as finances permit, then. Stage 11 highs I think.
All those wheels are stupid expensive, Think I'll just go for the Penny ones for the time being. Won't be using them for sliding, just looking to get around lovely terrain.

Wedged risers on a street deck, y/n? I'm determined to get this thing as agile as possible, maybe even pumpable if that can be done.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
No risers ever if you were born after 1974

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Faux-rear end Nonsense posted:

I'll pick up a set as soon as finances permit, then. Stage 11 highs I think.
All those wheels are stupid expensive, Think I'll just go for the Penny ones for the time being. Won't be using them for sliding, just looking to get around lovely terrain.

Wedged risers on a street deck, y/n? I'm determined to get this thing as agile as possible, maybe even pumpable if that can be done.

Do you want to pump or do you want to ollie? You could ollie a slalom setup if you wanted to but then you'd have to have a sit and a nap and a case of beer with your 'nam war buddies.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

maffew buildings posted:

No risers ever if you were born after 1974

I was born in '69, what size riser should I use?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
A moonriser

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
My brain won't let me land flippy things :(

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Keep at it. You'll get it, I promise!

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah, I know. It's just really frustrating to have all the elements in place, only to pussy out when it comes to the landing. Almost like a nervous tic.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I think I've said this on here before, but a big realization for me was that you actually have to CATCH the board. I just tried to apply the perfect amount of force so that it would stop it's rotation perfectly as the top came round (Newton who?). I still suck at most flip tricks, because my brain is not good at understanding how to spin them, but I can land varials all day. Only varials.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xolywJ1-fxo

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

The camera work at 1:37 is sublime. (The line in that bit was dope as gently caress too)

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 13, 2014

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

I went to a skatepark for the first time in 10 years today, and was surprised by how fun it was it's a nice concrete park which seem to be more common in the UK than when i was a kid (i remember being 15 and seeing pictures of parks in the states which were all perfectly smooth with bowls everywhere and being insanely jealous). I sucked when i was young and unsurprisingly im still horrible, i managed to drop-in on everything in the park and decided axle stalls were probably the best thing to try and learn first, spent nearly 2 hours there and came so close a number of times. I can launch out over the coping, i just can't quite get the front trucks down, i seem to keep landing in a (smith?) position.

Still it's nice to be an adult and be able to hit the park at 12pm and have it to myself. I think i will go again tomorrow and keep trying.

Ghetto Blaster fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 13, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Zigmidge posted:

The camera work at 1:37 is sublime. (The line in that bit was dope as gently caress too)

So much agreement with these. :patriot:

Thrasher is also putting out Shep Dawgs 4 the same way they did the Zero Cold war thing where their parts will go up one by one. I assume they'll actually stay up, unlike Cold War. Yesterday they put up the intro and Taylor Smith's part. Worth watching. I'd post it but for some reason the video tag is loving up.

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

Got my first, rock to fakie, rock n roll, and my axel stalls are almost dialled now, feels good to make progress. Stangely i can't get tail stalls even close...

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
When I was relearning I found that tail stall movement is bit more drawn out than it seems to be when you watch someone do it. It's not like you get to the lip and it magically hinges. You have to start earlier in the transition about midway up, start thinking about making the tail end up in that position on the lip by gradually and easily leaning back on it. It's ok to stop it short of the lip and just tap it on the ramp, doing anything will help. I've see people struggle with putting the front back down when learning tail stalls, just think gradual back, tap the tail, don't hangout there and just put it back down like a quick drop in, push the front leg down.
In fact you may not even worry with the actual tap, just think about riding up backwards, lift your front trucks off the ramp and quickly put them back down. That's the movement.

This is an exciting time for you with your reawakening. Skating rules.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
As mentioned in the youtube comments: This guy came out of Tony Hawks nuts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS4ef9Rno_c

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Great part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h10EZCFf3YI

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
KICKIN RAD!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DuAKfCrAbk

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I hadn't skated since I was a teenager until I came across my now 10-year-old board last month and decided to get back into it. Had a blast going back to basics and practicing stationary ollies and just pushing around park ramps, was only a few weeks in and I realised I was picking everything up again much faster than I did the first time round so thats a good feeling. Only issue is, I just broke a bone in my foot performing the most basic maneuvre (literally going up a flat ramp pretty slowly and trying to switch back down again, just stacked it and tumbled onto the concrete and managed to break a bone doing that).

I never took much bodily damage skating as a kid, probably because I didn't take many risks, but drat is it a bit of a shitter psychologically. I'm obviously out of action til my foot heals up anyway but I'm worried I won't be able to motivate myself to keep going afterwards because of how stupidly easily I managed to gently caress myself up.

Seems like these days I'm on the ground winded at least 1-2 times per hour. People fall less often the more they practice right? :(

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Yes, you'll fall less with practice, but when you're getting older it's very smart to excercize as well to make your body more resilient, especially training your ankles and wrists for mobility and strength.

You'll also, more importantly, learn how to fall properly. For example, my first year of skating I fell on my knees all the time, but since then that has happened maybe once in 15+ years, excepting the board flying around and bumping a knee once in the while.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I haven't skated in two years since I broke my wrist. But I've been missing skating, just have to learn how to be more careful.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
As far as exercising goes I've been doing the Focus T25 routine a bit and swear exercising helps me much more than actually skating these days. I highly recommend it. That workout is basically a 25 minute version of the Insanity workout. You can do it at home with no equipment. It will help you get your legs up and you off the ground.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
I had a bad ankle once (from skating of course), that I thought I'd let heal. I didn't skate for 5 months, but when I started skating again it was just as bad, super weak, rolled very easily and hurt like a mother.

I thought I was done for, but I just had to skate, so I started skating very carefully, skating switch (to flip with the good ankle), and lo and behold! Two weeks later my ankle was completely well and I was back in the game. The lesson is that weak and damaged joints don't get well on their own - they need to be used, excercised and strengthened. So if you feel like you're damaged beyond repair, get out there and fix your limbs and get back to rollin' :)

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Captain Mediocre posted:

I hadn't skated since I was a teenager until I came across my now 10-year-old board last month...

I went 10 years without skating, and broke my foot (well to be honest it was just a hairline fracture) the first time I skated again (I was trying to show a kid how to do an ollie). Flash forward 10+ years, and now that my son is skating, I been riding his board around the neighborhood. I find that I don't care about tricks (to be honest I was never that good) in my old age now. I just like riding fast and that feeling of zen you get from it. I am actually thinking about buying a longboard, because they are so much fun to cruise on.

At first I felt pretty lame skating since I'm an old skater from the late 80's (I'm 41), but gently caress the haters.

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

As far as exercising goes I've been doing the Focus T25 routine a bit and swear exercising helps me much more than actually skating these days. I highly recommend it. That workout is basically a 25 minute version of the Insanity workout. You can do it at home with no equipment. It will help you get your legs up and you off the ground.

I did the first 5 weeks of T25 (Alpha phase) and it was awesome. It is a fast way to build up leg strength and burn fat. Sadly my wife broke her sternum in car wreck right after we finished the Alpha phase. Once she is 100% it looks like we are going to have to start all over again.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
For sure. I rolled my ankle terribly a few years ago, to that point that I couldn't jump up an land on it for at least 9 months. About a year after I finally started doing the appropriate physical therapy exercises and it started to improve. Throw the T25 workout on top of that and now I find myself having to remember which ankle it was. I still have an issue with range of motion when leaning forward on it likely due to the tendons/ligaments healing shorter/tighter.

The moral to the story is don't let an injury keep you out of shape, there are things you can do to improve the situation even when you can't really use the damaged appendage well. Physical Therapy is very important if you want to get back.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 5, 2014

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

You still need a rest period where you stay the gently caress off of it for a while. Day-to-day activities do nothing good for sprains.

But I do agree. I waited far too long to start rehab for my patella dislocation and had all kinds of weird meniscus issues long after I should have. It wasn't until I started squats and biking that it went away almost overnight.

I'm old enough that next time I have a serious injury I'll probably spend the money on a rehab clinic.

In other news, I learned how to rock and roll and axle stall last night!

Llyr
Mar 24, 2010

Music is the best
I've been interested in getting back into skateboarding for a while. I've had very minimal experience. Years ago I bought a cruddy board from Walmart and some friends taught me about stance and how to move forward. Lately I've been practising and I think its time to upgrade my board. I want to get a longboard though because my main use will be cruising. There are a lot of pathways in my neighbourhood that look like they would be fun to go on. I've been looking at the Dingy and its big brother the Tugboat from Landyachtz. I'm a tall guy so I think I would benefit from a larger board(right?). Any suggestions for what I should get? Also, is it alright to buy a pre-built board for now?

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

Llyr posted:

I've been interested in getting back into skateboarding for a while. I've had very minimal experience. Years ago I bought a cruddy board from Walmart and some friends taught me about stance and how to move forward. Lately I've been practising and I think its time to upgrade my board. I want to get a longboard though because my main use will be cruising. There are a lot of pathways in my neighbourhood that look like they would be fun to go on. I've been looking at the Dingy and its big brother the Tugboat from Landyachtz. I'm a tall guy so I think I would benefit from a larger board(right?). Any suggestions for what I should get? Also, is it alright to buy a pre-built board for now?

Go to your local surf/skate shop and speak to the guys in there about what you need.

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
If you do end up getting a pre-built setup, buy a few different sets of bushings as well. Can't overstate how much they can change the feel of a board.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Need a recommendation here! Found a Santa Cruz Landshark Cruzer abandoned in the dumpster behind my building. It's pretty beat up but definitely still skateable (I can attest to that) and it's been hella fun to ride down all the hills in my hometown but I have some concerns

The bearings are pretty rusty and beaten up, so I want to replace them for a smoother ride and longer cruising abilities. I'm thinking Bones reds? No idea what else is out there, these were just the most well-reviewed set I could find quickly

The board also originally featured some type of textured paint on top in lieu of grip tape so I think I just want to slap some tape on there. I found a few sheets on Amazon for like $7 and don't really mind if it's garbo but if you guys have a good idea I'll take it

This thing is an absolute blast and I hope whoever left it behind moved on to something bigger and better. The skate gods have smiled upon me :shobon:

edit - oh and the wheels don't seem to be in bad shape but they're definitely heavily used. Should I be looking at picking up a new set with the bearings or is it okay to replace stuff one step at a time?

Omnikin fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jun 19, 2014

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Deal with your bearings and grip for sure. Reds are great, everyone uses those. Switch the wheels only if you know what you want otherwise it doesn't matter right away.

Stoked that you found a setup! Nothing rules more than a free ride.

In other news this part is so well done https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfxUgfPgXz8

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I love the lack of music in that clip.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I can't post it from here but Ryan Decenzo's part that came out recently is also pretty boss.

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
Shuvits are coming together :toot:

Then I need to work on their height. Maybe try to pop them onto sidewalks?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

SO STOKED

To celebrate Go Skateboard Day tomorrow, we built a 4' miniramp for the shop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Is the documentary about the behind the scenes on Fully Flared widely known? I watched it on youtube and I knew they obviously had a hard time putting that poo poo together but MY GOD. The punishment.