Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
drat, that menu looks really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
The restaurant still seems to be doing well, which is great to see. The website, though...yeah, doesn't quite fit the theme.

http://www.katiallo.com/

gibbsocracy
Mar 2, 2014

by XyloJW

surf rock posted:

Honestly, if Ramsay came here to renovate a restaurant, I would at least consider going there and eating a presumably lovely meal for the chance to see him.

He came to our town for one (anna vincenzo's) and thats exactly what happened. Half our neighborhood went. People love to be on TV.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I feel like Ramsay's thing for forcing any romantic relationship he sees to have a fairytale ending left a ticking time bomb at Kati Allo, though.

Because, seriously? A relationship where the husband comes home one day and goes "hey honey, I just spent all our savings on a huge commitment I know you don't want that's just obligated us to toil in an industry we don't know" is a bad loving relationship. The second they hit a downturn they're gonna go right back at each other's throats.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

CapnAndy posted:

I feel like Ramsay's thing for forcing any romantic relationship he sees to have a fairytale ending left a ticking time bomb at Kati Allo, though.

Because, seriously? A relationship where the husband comes home one day and goes "hey honey, I just spent all our savings on a huge commitment I know you don't want that's just obligated us to toil in an industry we don't know" is a bad loving relationship. The second they hit a downturn they're gonna go right back at each other's throats.

I dunno, if that happened a year or two ago I'd agree, but it happened 14 years ago. If that was going to be the ultimate deal-breaker (as it should have been), you would think she'd leave him a decade ago.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I really miss the British Kitchen Nightmares, i just can't get myself to care about the drama, and i don't want to see a bunch of people, who should probably be in jail for trying to kill people with rotten food, get rewarded with free kitchens.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Yeah I really miss the UK version. I want to see Ramsay spend the week with the cooks in the kitchen working to make progress throughout the week instead of watching 90% drama and then a miraculous turnaround in the last 5 minutes if the program.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
My favorite moment from last night's two-parter:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

gret posted:

Yeah I really miss the UK version. I want to see Ramsay spend the week with the cooks in the kitchen working to make progress throughout the week instead of watching 90% drama and then a miraculous turnaround in the last 5 minutes if the program.

You forgot the useless pop psych advice that triggers the turn around in these emotionally damaged people's lives.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
What is up with the random subtitles on the Greek woman?

CapnAndy posted:

The second they hit a downturn they're gonna go right back at each other's throats.

They've got that charming Old World love/hate thing going on. Reminds me of my grandparents :allears:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Oasx posted:

I really miss the British Kitchen Nightmares, i just can't get myself to care about the drama, and i don't want to see a bunch of people, who should probably be in jail for trying to kill people with rotten food, get rewarded with free kitchens.

gret posted:

Even as an American, I watched most of Ramsay's UK shows when I was working for a chef and considering chef school. On those shows, he's a really passionate chef who cares and wants to help misguided people succeed. In the US version, it's "let's find some trainwreck people and borderline dangerous restaurants and have this Brit yell at them for a half hour and then just barely put a positive spin on it by giving them a pile of money."

I know it's a symptom of American TV as a whole, but it's frustrating how much better the show could be; uplifting as opposed to mean-spirited. It should be on PBS or Food network, I don't see any shows where Bourdain chews people out nonstop.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Irish Joe posted:

What is up with the random subtitles on the Greek woman?
If the producers think someone's accent is too thick, they subtitle them.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
On the positive side, we get to forego the awkward shirtless chef scenes.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Wake_N_Bake posted:

On the positive side, we get to forego the awkward shirtless chef scenes.

They're saving them for Hotel Hell.

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.

OmegaBR posted:

One difference I always notice between KN and Restaurant Impossible - they always claim word has spread about Ramsay being in town, which causes the people to flock to the restaurant for a disastrous service, yet on RI they simply admit that Robert's brought the people in.

I honestly think it is the truth, in this situation. When Ramsay came to my town last, people knew where he was coming to fix for a few days, and it was crazy to try and get in to the before or after. I had a friend who went and said it was almost a madhouse. On the other hand, I know Robert Irvine's team will put up craigslist ads and contact community members to get them to come more readily that Ramsay might.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Just a couple more weeks until Masterchef, aka Joe Bastianich loving Hates You™. I'm excited.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I grew up 20 minutes outside NYC in the suburbs of New Jersey, and I don't have hometown pride per se, but it was pretty much one of the coolest places any kid could grow up, I'll say that much. That and I miss it sometimes. Being in NC still doesn't feel quite right, and I've been here eight, almost nine years now.

Anything cool about New York City almost certainly isn't due to the dipshits who feel obligated to find a way to fit "IM FROM BROOKLYN" into every sentence.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Illuen posted:

I honestly think it is the truth, in this situation. When Ramsay came to my town last, people knew where he was coming to fix for a few days, and it was crazy to try and get in to the before or after. I had a friend who went and said it was almost a madhouse. On the other hand, I know Robert Irvine's team will put up craigslist ads and contact community members to get them to come more readily that Ramsay might.

I am curious, did nobody consider that Ramsay was there because the restaurant served horrible food that might be rotten? Or did everyone simply say "Hey, there is a famous chef at this restaurant, it must be good!"?

gibbsocracy
Mar 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Oasx posted:

I am curious, did nobody consider that Ramsay was there because the restaurant served horrible food that might be rotten? Or did everyone simply say "Hey, there is a famous chef at this restaurant, it must be good!"?

I'd imagine "free entertainment with dinner and the chance to be on TV" trumps the minor risk of rotten food. I'd be shocked if Ramsay let them reopen for a dinner service if it wasn't clean. By that time he'd have reamed them out. The danger time is when he first goes there to sample the food before he goes to the back of the kitchen.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Gonz posted:

Just a couple more weeks until Masterchef, aka Joe Bastianich loving Hates You™. I'm excited.

I've been marathoning Masterchef for the past week and its really striking to compare season 1 to season 4. They went from mass elimination of people, to one person a episode, and instead of normal cooking every week they added more and more weird challenges. Also watching Ramsey transform from a pretty nice guy in Season 1 into Hell's Kitchen Ramsay in the later seasons is good for a laugh.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

gibbsocracy posted:

I'd imagine "free entertainment with dinner and the chance to be on TV" trumps the minor risk of rotten food. I'd be shocked if Ramsay let them reopen for a dinner service if it wasn't clean. By that time he'd have reamed them out. The danger time is when he first goes there to sample the food before he goes to the back of the kitchen.

In the UK version he just outright states that he brings people in to the restaurants cause he wants to see how they handle being busy and where the problems are.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

ElBrak posted:

I've been marathoning Masterchef for the past week and its really striking to compare season 1 to season 4. They went from mass elimination of people, to one person a episode, and instead of normal cooking every week they added more and more weird challenges. Also watching Ramsey transform from a pretty nice guy in Season 1 into Hell's Kitchen Ramsay in the later seasons is good for a laugh.

You should watch Masterchef Jr if you haven't already. It more than makes up for the last season of Masterchef (which I thought was awful).

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

ElBrak posted:

In the UK version he just outright states that he brings people in to the restaurants cause he wants to see how they handle being busy and where the problems are.

Or he actually makes the chef/owner go out on the streets to try and drag people in. This thread has made me go back and rewatch the UK version.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Masterchef really needs a drunken 2am snack cooking challenge where they only get things to cook with that you would find in a cabinet and fridge in a house that hasn't gone grocery shopping in over a week.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Alterian posted:

Masterchef really needs a drunken 2am snack cooking challenge where they only get things to cook with that you would find in a cabinet and fridge in a house that hasn't gone grocery shopping in over a week.

I once made an oily lovely chicken and mushroom risotto under these exact conditions.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Alterian posted:

So like just about every dinner for me then.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I think it would be an interesting challenge for them to make something amazing out of a mostly empty jar of peanutbutter, an old wrinkly onion, a can of stewed tomatoes and some lunch meat that's about to turn.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Alterian posted:

I think it would be an interesting challenge for them to make something amazing out of a mostly empty jar of peanutbutter, an old wrinkly onion, a can of stewed tomatoes and some lunch meat that's about to turn.

Wrap lunch meat around fingers. Swirl them in the peanut butter.

Chop onion and mix with stewed tomatoes. Salt and pepper. You now have ghetto pasta sause to dunk your meat fingers in.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Yeah I'm done with kitchen nightmares for now... It's just too formulaic and predictable at this point. I just watched one of the UK versions and it really is night and day. I still appreciate Hell's Kitchen but mostly for the pandemonium and it'll take a lot for me to give on a show that gave us Raj and Alfredo Al Dente :allears:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Anosmoman posted:

Yeah I'm done with kitchen nightmares for now... It's just too formulaic and predictable at this point. I just watched one of the UK versions and it really is night and day. I still appreciate Hell's Kitchen but mostly for the pandemonium and it'll take a lot for me to give on a show that gave us Raj and Alfredo Al Dente :allears:

Risotto isn't that hard to make, right? I've done it a few times, but never under pressure or a time constraint. I watch sporadically, but I've never seen anyone get risotto right on the first try on HK.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

red19fire posted:

Risotto isn't that hard to make, right? I've done it a few times, but never under pressure or a time constraint. I watch sporadically, but I've never seen anyone get risotto right on the first try on HK.

The question is if how you cook it would be acceptable to Ramsay. Or if he would send it back just to gently caress with you.

edit: it's not a cooking show. It's an angry scotsman yelling at people who happen to attempt cooking.

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak.
So for shits and giggles, I decided to attempt a risotto tonight. I was making a nice baked chicken and didn't want to have just plain rice on the side.

It's not an easy dish to make properly, I will say. Mine tasted okay, but having never made it before, I can say Ramsay definitely would have sent it back. My rice wasn't cooked perfectly through, but it was close. I'll get it right next time.

liltimshady
Sep 6, 2011
Who the gently caress is this kid?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

"My family's reputation is on the line."

*makes a terrible pizza*

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

:shrug:

I'm not entirely sure if Melanie is someone anyone should be deferring to.

Edit: "My family's Irish, so I don't know anything about pizzas."
Who in the US hasn't had a pizza, honestly?

Edit 2: 10 second rule, girl! Get that pizza!

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 25, 2014

liltimshady
Sep 6, 2011
Looks like everyone on Blue is making poo poo pizza.

And about half of Red.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Any idea who this special judge might be? Because I haven't the slightest.

liltimshady
Sep 6, 2011

Ghostpilot posted:

Any idea who this special judge might be? Because I haven't the slightest.

It's Wolfgang Puck.

It was spoiled last week in the preview.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

HAHAHAHA, the choir singing "Wolfgang Puuuuuuck!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"Skinny Girl Pizza?!" Really?

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 25, 2014