Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

SunAndSpring posted:

Well, this is new lore, so I guess they wouldn't have known if they cared to look for info on this game before they started putting on the Reich.

It's not really new lore though? Unless I'm missing something they're just being mad about the Vailians being represented by black people in concept art.

e: Considering that the only Vailians we've seen were in a piece of concept art released last may? It really comes off as racists looking for a reason to be racist and whiny.

Republican Vampire fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

BTW, I don't disagree with the desire of what the last poster wrote. A game that relied heavily on real African traditions and history would be very cool. It's also entirely outside of my knowledge base and experience. I try to incorporate elements from outside of my knowledge base when I can (e.g. in early versions of Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows, we had two Greco-African characters who spoke Yoruba and in Honest Hearts the Dead Horses spoke a mix of English, German, and Navajo) but it is completely unfamiliar territory for me and extremely slow-going. I have a degree in history focusing on early modern Europe -- specifically, witch-hunting. In school I studied Spanish, German, Latin, French, and Arabic because they all had either immediate or tangential connections to the subjects and phenomena I was learning about. On my own I've superficially studied a bunch of other Indo-European languages for familiarity, but my knowledge base is pretty heavily rooted in central/western Europe from about 1200-1800.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

These are all of the clothing concepts we've released, BTW:

Natlan/Ixamitl: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/File:IxamitlHumans.jpg?version=e147d52d8db971b5a7daa1278644d7b3
Thyrtan/Aedyran: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/File:Aedyrhumans.jpg?version=f5775a0052690164e2ef3bfbb7943078
Calbandra/Vailian: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/File:Vailianhumans.jpg?version=213adddea81a4d64ad6682a1bdfffd2f
Thyrtan/Dyrwoodan: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/File:DyrwoodHumans.JPG?version=1655515794d2239727e3ad910960a261

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Speaking of that, um... what are the chances of Aquatic Aumaua having kapa/tapa cloth or something similar in their portraits? A couple previews have called them polynesian, but I don't know if we've seen anything. I'm only asking because I'm kinda super into Polynesian (especially Hawaiian) history.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

So drat fancy. How could anyone not play as this?

Ravenicus
Jun 30, 2013
That or Aedyr for sure.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Republican Vampire posted:

It's not really new lore though? Unless I'm missing something they're just being mad about the Vailians being represented by black people in concept art.

Well, someone brought up that the other races have probably had other elements from other cultures inserted into theirs. Like, how the Aedyr have these Celtic/Germanic tones to their language and such despite being Greco-Roman imperialists. Of course, the dude shot down that down, saying it didn't count because the Anglo-Saxons and Italians/Greeks were white and white people are all the same :shrug:.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Shadeoses posted:

So drat fancy. How could anyone not play as this?

I ain't fancy, boy. I dug around in three trashcans today, couldn't do that wearing no frilly getup.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Speaking of that, um... what are the chances of Aquatic Aumaua having kapa/tapa cloth or something similar in their portraits? A couple previews have called them polynesian, but I don't know if we've seen anything. I'm only asking because I'm kinda super into Polynesian (especially Hawaiian) history.
We've only done the coastal aumaua portraits so far (the ones typically from near Rauatai) and they don't have much/any Polynesian flavor. The island aumaua are supposed to have more Polynesian and Japanese elements to their clothing but we haven't done their portraits yet. I have a little bit of familiarity with various Pacific Islander cultures and Kaz (our artist who made the Sagani, Eder, and Pallegina concepts) grew up in Japan, so hopefully they will have a nice blend of elements.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

I'm getting a eastern european vibe from the dywoodan. Something like Lithuania or Muscovy, Is that intentional? Also, in regards to all the cultures; will analog to the real world be mostly cosmetic and linguistic or will their military follow their historical inspirations. Like will the Aedyran favor heavy infantry with various auxiliaries and would a PC gain any bonus from a factions specialization? Such as a Aedyran bonus with shields? Finally I'm wondering if there's any Eastern/ Western empire split going on. Cause I think having legionaries and Cataphracts would be cool.

Moving to an unrelated topic, I figure it wont be in this game, but have you ever considered something like horses or other mounts in a real time with pause game like this?

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

rope kid posted:

We've only done the coastal aumaua portraits so far (the ones typically from near Rauatai) and they don't have much/any Polynesian flavor. The island aumaua are supposed to have more Polynesian and Japanese elements to their clothing but we haven't done their portraits yet. I have a little bit of familiarity with various Pacific Islander cultures and Kaz (our artist who made the Sagani, Eder, and Pallegina concepts) grew up in Japan, so hopefully they will have a nice blend of elements.

Thanks for replying, and it's cool that this is something you think about. I'm just weirdly into it because I took a couple courses and read a couple books and got weirdly into the history of textiles.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

MegaGatts posted:

Moving to an unrelated topic, I figure it wont be in this game, but have you ever considered something like horses or other mounts in a real time with pause game like this?

The mentioned this a long while back and I forget the answer, but the extra combat rules and models and animations would probably make them far too expensive to implement.

PLus, aside from another animation, what'd be the point? it wouldn't add appreciably to any gameplay or player control aspect. It's an iso game.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Drifter posted:

The mentioned this a long while back and I forget the answer, but the extra combat rules and models and animations would probably make them far too expensive to implement.

PLus, aside from another animation, what'd be the point?

Horse Charge. :black101:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Roobanguy posted:

Horse Charge. :black101:

Like Barbarian Dash?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Drifter posted:

Like Barbarian Dash?

Yes, but with war horses! :v:

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Drifter posted:

PLus, aside from another animation, what'd be the point? it wouldn't add appreciably to any gameplay or player control aspect. It's an iso game.

Different abilities depending on the mount. You know a unicorn lancing fools, some kind of giant toad eating dudes. Plus I think a party of six riding various weird mounts and monsters would be cool to watch. It would also make fighting indoors extremely different from meeting enemies in an open field and I feel dismounting enemies would feel very satisfying. Think of killing some guys giant centipede from under him, tell me that doesn't make you smile.

I know PoE isn't the game to support them, I was just wondering if Ropekid ever thought of how to implement them.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Mounts are always a thing, I remember when people were lobbying hard for them in NWN2 / pissed that they weren't in NWN1. Invariably they were among the first mod additions to more open games / persistent worlds. Guess a lot of people had hardons for Shadowfax / knightly tourneys.

JanPospisil
Jul 27, 2013

Ask me about Verethragna!

SunAndSpring posted:

I was just surprised by the reaction to it. I mean, I can go post Baldur's Gate 2 and not have someone give me a multi-paragraph post on how Valygar wearing medieval Europe clothes somehow destroys the culture of Africa and Europe at the same time. The gently caress did PoE do?

Funny thing is, some time ago there was someone on the PE forums complaining that rope kid is whitewashing glorious Africans and robbing them of cultural identity by having them wear european clothes. It's an insult and yadda yadda. Can't win, either way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgTuarwFm6s

JanPospisil fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Apr 22, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

JanPospisil posted:

Funny thing is, some time ago there was someone on the PE forums complaining that rope kid is whitewashing glorious Africans and robbing them of cultural identity by having them wear european clothes. It's an insult and yadda yadda. Can't win, either way.

As a white American male I'm African. I feel okay about what Obsidian is doing.

Sea Otter
Oct 9, 2012

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Low level campaigns are usually the best, each level up feels actually matters and the stakes still feel quite real and don't get bogged down in power levels.
I hear such opinions and it's natural for every single individual to have his/her own sweet spot between nothing to do and tons of overpowered abilities.

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

I've played Dragonfall and loved it but never really paid attention to any press around it. What was so bad about its reputation?
Actually, I meant, through Dragonfall, Hibernate Schemes addressed some of the criticism to their original campaign, Deadman's Switch. Likewise, even if some people are unhappy with the original content for some reason, it can be amended through added content. Of course, it would be the best scenario if they can satisfy the majority through the first shot but preparing for worse results wouldn't hurt.

rope kid posted:

I have a little bit of familiarity with various Pacific Islander cultures and Kaz (our artist who made the Sagani, Eder, and Pallegina concepts) grew up in Japan, so hopefully they will have a nice blend of elements.
"Pacific Islander" is quite a bold categorization in terms of cultures since vast Pacific Ocean isolates islands, different from continental Europe. I presumed, in the world like PoE, where sea travel is very dangerous, the cultural distinctions would be much keener, even compared with our counterpart. I think one of the reasons which made colonialism possible would be breakthroughs in long distance sea travels, which enabled Europeans to access isolated cultures in vast areas.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

Of course, the dude shot down that down, saying it didn't count because the Anglo-Saxons and Italians/Greeks were white and white people are all the same :shrug:.

But isn't he a SJW by that logic? :smuggo:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Nobody will be happy unless the game is all about a bunch of green/blue non-gendered people who do not reproduce and have no specific culture to them, just walk around in skin-tight spacesuits all the time engaging in warfare by conversation and talk their predators down and feed on grass.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Mordaedil posted:

Nobody will be happy unless the game is all about a bunch of green/blue non-gendered people who do not reproduce and have no specific culture to them, just walk around in skin-tight spacesuits all the time engaging in warfare by conversation and talk their predators down and feed on grass.

You Goddamned hippie liberal :bahgawd:

JanPospisil
Jul 27, 2013

Ask me about Verethragna!

Mordaedil posted:

Then the loverslab people won't be happy. Not enough horse penises.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

JanPospisil posted:

Then the loverslab people won't be happy. Not enough horse penises.
Would be so easy to mod in for them.

Disco Infiva posted:

You Goddamned hippie liberal :bahgawd:
I believe it was a republican who said something about speaking softly and carrying big sticks.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Mordaedil posted:

talk their predators down and feed on grass.

Hey now. Someone needs to think about the grass you monster! :mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGLABm7jJ-Y

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Sensuki posted:

Lifted from Sawyer's NewEgg interview.

The dragon thing looks kinda like a sloughed skin, which would be cool.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

FRINGE posted:

Hey now. Someone needs to think about the grass you monster! :mad:

Sorry, I meant the SHADOW of the grass, but I was afraid that would be a Simpson's reference that nobody would get.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

quote:

"Pacific Islander" is quite a bold categorization in terms of cultures since vast Pacific Ocean isolates islands, different from continental Europe.
It's pretty common to categorize Polynesia, Micronesia, and Melanesia as Pacific Islander culture groups and there are a lot of linguistic and cultural links between the individual islands and people due to migration. Saying people from Samoa and the Marquesas are Pacific Islanders is less bold than saying Swedes and Italians are European.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

There is a pretty big difference between Polynesians and Melanesians, even though they often mixed, notably in Micronesia.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Phlegmish posted:

There is a pretty big difference between Polynesians and Melanesians, even though they often mixed, notably in Micronesia.
There are big differences between Finns and Spaniards, Icelanders and Poles but I don't think it's bold to say those are various European cultures.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Keep talking; I feel like I'm learning poo poo.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
loving Finns and their Finno-ugric trolling...

Plus the Finns are super genetically diverse, oddly. Cool bros.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

rope kid posted:

There are big differences between Finns and Spaniards, Icelanders and Poles but I don't think it's bold to say those are various European cultures.

Oh yeah I completely agree, if anything 'Pacific Islander' itself is a comparatively tiny group in terms of population. I just have the irrepressible goon urge to show off my Wikipedia-tier knowledge.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Was the second Vailian female outfit based on real-world underclothes rather than clothes? :blush:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

MegaGatts posted:

I'm getting a eastern european vibe from the dywoodan. Something like Lithuania or Muscovy, Is that intentional? Also, in regards to all the cultures; will analog to the real world be mostly cosmetic and linguistic or will their military follow their historical inspirations. Like will the Aedyran favor heavy infantry with various auxiliaries and would a PC gain any bonus from a factions specialization? Such as a Aedyran bonus with shields? Finally I'm wondering if there's any Eastern/ Western empire split going on. Cause I think having legionaries and Cataphracts would be cool.

There aren't any intentional eastern European sources for the Dyrwoodan clothing, no. Most of the cultural references will be for language, clothing, and a small amount of politics.

Horses would be difficult for us to incorporate in a game like this for a variety of reasons. Technical limitations are one aspect, but map size is where it really becomes a problem.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

coffeetable posted:

Lifted from Sawyer's NewEgg interview.

The dragon thing looks kinda like a sloughed skin, which would be cool.
It's both hilarious and sad that while Feargus Urquhart is talking about how exciting it is to own your own IP the walls are covered in Alpha Protocol characters (which last I understood are still owned by SEGA).

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Thanks for replying, and it's cool that this is something you think about. I'm just weirdly into it because I took a couple courses and read a couple books and got weirdly into the history of textiles.
Most of my exposure comes from studying the history of tattooing. The English word "tattoo" is derived from a Polynesian word and tattooing is found in a lot of Polynesian, Micronesian, and Melanesian cultures (often having a similar cultural relevance).

Sea Otter
Oct 9, 2012

rope kid posted:

It's pretty common to categorize Polynesia, Micronesia, and Melanesia as Pacific Islander culture groups and there are a lot of linguistic and cultural links between the individual islands and people due to migration. Saying people from Samoa and the Marquesas are Pacific Islanders is less bold than saying Swedes and Italians are European.
I see. I thought you began to include something like Japanese, where I see influences more from continental cultures (especially China) in "Pacific Islanders" but I guess it's just a confusion caused by referring both our cultures and those in PoE. That said, Tattoo may be an interesting approach to see common/uncommon parts of these cultures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Darkhold posted:

It's both hilarious and sad that while Feargus Urquhart is talking about how exciting it is to own your own IP the walls are covered in Alpha Protocol characters (which last I understood are still owned by SEGA).

On the other hand though, Alpha Protocol is rad.

• Locked thread