Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
What's the best app to profile memory & CPU usage?

Motivation: my Asus TF300 is feeling slloowww and laggy lately and I wonder if something I've installed is sucking up all the power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

How can I get rid of this stupid Motorola Spotlight Player? I can only Force Stop, Uninstall Updates, and Disable.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Donald Kimball posted:

How can I get rid of this stupid Motorola Spotlight Player? I can only Force Stop, Uninstall Updates, and Disable.
Just disable it. Sorry you hate fun.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
But my freedom!

:911:

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

I mean, it looks like a quirky fun app that also plays lame videos, but I'm not really interested in it. I figured you could completely purge it from the phone, but if not, that's cool too.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

dik-dik posted:

Can you tell me how to manually merge the SMS and hangout? I have this same problem with a few contacts.

Open the Hangouts app.
Press and hold the text-message conversation.
Then touch the Hangouts conversation.
Touch Menu/3-dots.
Touch Merge.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Donald Kimball posted:

I mean, it looks like a quirky fun app that also plays lame videos, but I'm not really interested in it. I figured you could completely purge it from the phone, but if not, that's cool too.
It's on your system partition so deleting it wouldn't gain you any space anyway.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

DrBouvenstein posted:

Don't use the FB app, just go to their website and use the mobile version.

Unless push notifications when your friends tag you in a photo is critically important to you.

Even if it is critically important, good luck because the FB app is appalling at doing notifications too.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

Don't use the FB app, just go to their website and use the mobile version.

Unless push notifications when your friends tag you in a photo is critically important to you.
I would recommend against using the Facebook app in general based on the permissions it requests. They don't need to be able to read my text messages and private calendar.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
It seems the Facebook mobile page disables using the soft back key for Chrome's back function. :wtf:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I must be the luckiest guy in the world. I can't remember having any serious problems with the Facebook app - I've always gotten push notifications, it's never sucked down my battery or caused a wakelock etc.

I think I tried some third party facebook apps awhile ago just for the gently caress of it, but they were insanely ugly.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
What's the go to launcher these days that isn't GEL? Still Nova/Apex?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Nova still works fine but has been abandoned by the developer. People seem to mention Aviate(?) frequently.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

If you want an iOS-style control center with entirely too many options, try Quick Control Panel. I have no idea why I bought it, but it seems to work properly. By default it launches on the assistant gesture (swipe up from the bottom).

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Want to give Aviate a shot but that invite system is some verity of pungent poo poo.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Want to give Aviate a shot but that invite system is some verity of pungent poo poo.

I'm using Aviate now and it is not worth it. It doesn't learn my most used apps very well, and I find myself just wanting to go back to my custom Nova or Apex launcher setup that I find pretty and functional.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Nova still works fine but has been abandoned by the developer.

Wait, what? Is this for sure?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Penguissimo posted:

Wait, what? Is this for sure?

That was news to me too. The app hasn't been updated since December though.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

According to this jackass on XDA (ugh), the developer has a new child and development is slowed.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Anyone else have an issue with disabling Currents? It constantly reappears at random. I'll uninstall updates and disable, and then at some point it's back in the launcher with updates applied. It's on a stock Nexus 7 2013.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Action Launcher

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Require More Fire posted:

Anyone else have an issue with disabling Currents? It constantly reappears at random. I'll uninstall updates and disable, and then at some point it's back in the launcher with updates applied. It's on a stock Nexus 7 2013.

Luckily Currents disables itself when you install Play Newsstand.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Luckily Currents disables itself when you install Play Newsstand.

I have Play Newsstand installed though?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

I have Play Newsstand installed though?

Odd, they updated it a while back to make it kill off Currents. Have you launched Currents and Play Newstand? I think you have to open them for it to disable.

EDIT:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...pears-for-good/

Yeah, you need to tap through Currents once and it commits hari-kari for the honor of glorious Nippon.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Odd, they updated it a while back to make it kill off Currents. Have you launched Currents and Play Newstand? I think you have to open them for it to disable.

EDIT:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...pears-for-good/

Yeah, you need to tap through Currents once and it commits hari-kari for the honor of glorious Nippon.

That seems to have done it, huzzah. See you in hell, Currents.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

GWBBQ posted:

I would recommend against using the Facebook app in general based on the permissions it requests. They don't need to be able to read my text messages and private calendar.
Keep in mind I've never actually used the app, but supposedly reading text messages is because they let you SMS through the app if your conversation partner isn't online on facebook at the moment. The calendar permission is probably to deal with events on facebook and adding them to your phone calendar I'm guessing.

E: Yep: https://www.facebook.com/help/210676372433246

dont skimp on the shrimp fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 22, 2014

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
What's a good Tumblr app? The default one is an unstable piece of poo poo.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

ScarletBrother posted:

Honestly the default one.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Rusty Kettle posted:

I'm using Aviate now and it is not worth it. It doesn't learn my most used apps very well, and I find myself just wanting to go back to my custom Nova or Apex launcher setup that I find pretty and functional.

Aviate has potential to be loving awesome but needs to do some things better like what you mentioned. Looks slick though.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

ScarletBrother posted:

The only other option that I know of is ShortBlogger but it'll freak out if you use 2fa and hasn't been updated since October.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Got the new Hangouts app? Go type /ponystream in a chat message and send it, then sit back and enjoy the utter stupidity entertainment. Then fastball your phone into a wall.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

rolleyes posted:

Just confirming that I'm getting the same, also since upgrading to KitKat.

I sent them feedback from within the app but haven't heard anything back. I might go with leaving a 1-star review as some others are doing, it might prompt them into fixing it.

I sent feedback from within the app as well. Hopefully enough other people do the same that they do something about it.

Speaking of 1-starring.. the company I work for makes a one-time password generating app. In the last major update added root detection, but didn't tell anybody about it or note it in the app release notes/changelog. The Android community went loving apeshit and we've been getting slammed by 1-star reviews.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Action Launcher

Have they fixed folders yet?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

How do I access advanced settings in Google Camera? I thought I saw someone talking about it but can't find the post now. Can't seem to find any way to toggle iso and such.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

brc64 posted:

the company I work for makes a one-time password generating app. In the last major update added root detection,
Why did they do that? What does the app do on rooted devices, or rather, what's done with the information?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

regulargonzalez posted:

How do I access advanced settings in Google Camera? I thought I saw someone talking about it but can't find the post now. Can't seem to find any way to toggle iso and such.

Swipe from the left edge, click the gear at the bottom right, Advanced->Manual Exposure.

On my Moto X all it adds is 2 stops of exposure compensation, not really actual manual controls.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Question about Google Calendar, but about the web app, not the phone. I have a couple of employees whom I would like to send weekly schedules from Calendar, but neither of them use Google. In the interest of not having to set up accounts for them and manage them, is there a way I can just send a PDF (or whatever) copy of the schedule to their email addresses?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Why did they do that? What does the app do on rooted devices, or rather, what's done with the information?

The app fails to launch if root is detected. It's viewed as a security risk. There is an endless debate regarding this, but the fact is, we released an update that effectively breaks the app for a substantial Android user base and we're getting slammed for it in the Play Store.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Question about Google Calendar, but about the web app, not the phone. I have a couple of employees whom I would like to send weekly schedules from Calendar, but neither of them use Google. In the interest of not having to set up accounts for them and manage them, is there a way I can just send a PDF (or whatever) copy of the schedule to their email addresses?
Yes, go to Google Calendar, click on the v next to the one you want to share, select Calendar Settings, then scroll down and you can share it in XML, iCAL, and HTML formats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

I am struggling to merge the hangout/SMS conversations of the same recipient. I thought the update would have done this automatically, but it seems not. Any insight?

I tried the advice posted earlier about holding and selecting the Hangout and SMS within the hangout app, but I have no option to merge from there.

• Locked thread