Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Who wants smart phone controlled sous vide machines that can also refrigerate? Cause here they come.

http://cookmellow.com/meet-mellow/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

.Z. posted:

Who wants smart phone controlled sous vide machines that can also refrigerate? Cause here they come.

http://cookmellow.com/meet-mellow/

I was expecting it to be way more than $500 for some reason.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

I was too, I'm wondering if that bodes well for it's build quality.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Doesn't ship until 'early 2015', so be careful believing anything about price and features yet.

edit: Also they're not using Kickstarter, but appear to just be taking money directly. Not that Kickstarter really adds anything of value, but I'm not so sure I would be quick to give a random company $400 just yet.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 21, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Also it looks like it belongs on the set of Logan's Run

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

mod sassinator posted:

Doesn't ship until 'early 2015', so be careful believing anything about price and features yet.

edit: Also they're not using Kickstarter, but appear to just be taking money directly. Not that Kickstarter really adds anything of value, but I'm not so sure I would be quick to give a random company $400 just yet.

They aren't charging until they ship.

Unfortunately they are only shipping to the states.

Which sucks because I am totally interested because it solves the main reason why I don't use my sous vide machine as much as I should but then again... Canada.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Whiteycar posted:

Which sucks because I am totally interested because it solves the main reason why I don't use my sous vide machine as much as I should but then again... Canada.

You can always cook, chill, and then warm if you aren't around to put the stuff into the puddle in the middle of the day.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Granted not the same thing exactly, but I just run Zwave power control on my SV controller and can preheat the water in it to whatever it was last set to from my phone before I start my commute home. Generally that's good enough for me if I'm planning on conventionally cooking some sides to go along with my protein.

Drive By
Feb 26, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Holy poo poo, I wasn't expecting this.

I'm the dude in the Mellow video. What up! I'm crazy tired and very surprised you goons found us out. Not a scam, pinky swear.

I'll be happy to take questions/post details/tell you about that one time I almost passed out from the cigarette smoke in a Chinese electronics market.

deimos posted:

I was expecting it to be way more than $500 for some reason.

We're not taking a very large margin by industry standards. Because we're selling it ourselves instead of going through distributors, we still make enough on each unit to support us. The $400 preorder price is a bargain, and we might have to up the retail price before 2015, unfortunately.

mod sassinator posted:

I'm sorry if it wasn't clear, but unlike a Kickstarter, we're not taking money at all before we have a unit to ship you. We have fully built and tested out prototypes, and aren't anticipating any meaningful spec changes.

Whiteycar posted:

Sorry. I'd love to sell to other countries, but limiting our pre-sale to the US is the best way we have to make sure nothing gets hosed up. Case study: Nomiku

Steve Yun posted:

Also it looks like it belongs on the set of Logan's Run

Close enough, take another guess.

Drive By fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 22, 2014

Drive By
Feb 26, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
double post, sorry

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Drive By posted:

Sorry. I'd love to sell to other countries, but limiting our pre-sale to the US is the best way we have to make sure nothing gets hosed up. Case study: Nomiku

Understandable, I got a wedding to save up for anyway. Is Canadian cert something you are looking at?

Drive By
Feb 26, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Whiteycar posted:

Understandable, I got a wedding to save up for anyway. Is Canadian cert something you are looking at?

Yes, it should be trivial to complete after UL/ETL, but we're really, really trying to cut down on the chance of unforeseen complications. This poo poo is hard enough to pull off as it is.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
How'd you get that name?

What's the time and temperature needed to make upside-down dogcake?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Drive By posted:

I'll be happy to take questions/post details/tell you about that one time I almost passed out from the cigarette smoke in a Chinese electronics market.

Are you reaching out to any famous entertainment chefs that have a home-cook following? Alton Brown springs to mind as someone that might dig your machine, and he just started a new youtube channel that might need content... the Mellow isn't a unitasker after all.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Drive By posted:

Yes, it should be trivial to complete after UL/ETL, but we're really, really trying to cut down on the chance of unforeseen complications. This poo poo is hard enough to pull off as it is.

How quickly can it go from hot to cold and vice versa? Is there any benefit to the chilling other than holding food safely prior to reheating? Congrats on the startup, best of luck to you. I don't have the cash or need to replace my sous vide setup but yours looks very appealing if I were to do so.

Drive By
Feb 26, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

CrazyLittle posted:

How'd you get that name?

What's the time and temperature needed to make upside-down dogcake?

Which name? Mellow? We pulled it out of our collective butt. It sounds nice. Upside-down dogcake should not be attempted anywhere outside Australia.

d3rt posted:

Are you reaching out to any famous entertainment chefs that have a home-cook following? Alton Brown springs to mind as someone that might dig your machine, and he just started a new youtube channel that might need content... the Mellow isn't a unitasker after all.

Not yet, we've been overwhelmed with launch preparations. We're a very small team and just keeping on top of twitter/facebook is killing me. We'll definitely reach out to Alton, thank you for the suggestion.

granpa yum posted:

How quickly can it go from hot to cold and vice versa? Is there any benefit to the chilling other than holding food safely prior to reheating? Congrats on the startup, best of luck to you. I don't have the cash or need to replace my sous vide setup but yours looks very appealing if I were to do so.

Thank you for the encouragement! If you don't have the cash but you'd like to support us, tell your friends, that's a big help.

Cold to hot takes 10 minutes, hot to cold takes 2 hours or more, room temperature to cold takes an hour or so. The major benefit is keeping food safe while you're away fromthe kitchen, but the more we play with it, the more we find out you can do some funky things when you have full control of the temperature spectrum.

Drive By fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 22, 2014

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Drive By posted:

Cold to hot takes 10 minutes, hot to cold takes 2 hours or more, room temperature to cold takes an hour or so. The major benefit is keeping food safe while you're away fromthe kitchen, but the more we play with it, the more we find out you can do some funky things when you have full control of the temperature spectrum.

So if I'm doing something that I would cook at 183-190, but won't get home until later so I want to chill them under 40, is the machine going to be capable of keeping items out of the danger zone?

I'd imagine there has to be a limit to the amount of food you can put in to the machine so there's enough water circulating to allow adequate cooling times.

nwin fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 22, 2014

Drive By
Feb 26, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

nwin posted:

So if I'm doing something that I would cook at 183-190, but won't get home until later so I want to chill them under 40, is the machine going to be capable of keeping items out of the danger zone?

I'd imagine there has to be a limit to the amount of food you can put in to the machine so there's enough water circulating to allow adequate cooling times.

Exactly, that's perfectly doable. You have the idea down pat.

The limit to the amount of food you can chill is as much as you can pack in there. as long as it comes from your fridge, the more food and the less water, the easier the job is. We use aeration for circulation, and just a thin film of water around the bags is more than enough to keep the temperature uniform.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

nwin posted:

In that case wouldn't you keep it cold at the start and tell it what time you want it done so that it can cook at the end of the time rather than the beginning?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Good point. Just trying to think of an example where you would need to go from hot to cold as it seems the main limit would be cooling things quickly.

Drive By
Feb 26, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Sorry nwin, I thought that was the case you were originally referring to. I can't recommend you do cook-chill with our thing, for most foods the core temperature won't decrease fast enough to guarantee safety.

The general cooking curve our algorithm goes through is: chill for a while, cook just in time, decrease temperature slightly if necessary for some reason (when it's possible).

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Clever device, congrats and good luck!

That said, how's the power usage on that thing? Being (apparently) uninsulated I have to imagine keeping that water mass <40 all day (and then heating it all up!) isn't particularly efficient.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Choadmaster posted:

Clever device, congrats and good luck!

That said, how's the power usage on that thing? Being (apparently) uninsulated I have to imagine keeping that water mass <40 all day (and then heating it all up!) isn't particularly efficient.

Double wall makes it pretty much the same as a coleman cooler. Or do you think most colemans typically used for SV are full of insulation?

Drive By
Feb 26, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Thank you!

Like deimos said, it's actually pretty efficient: the small volume and the double wall make it economical, thought the transparency hurts. Because we usually use much less water than other devices to cook with, the energy you spend to get the water up to temperature is much less, too.

Actual energy use will depending on wether you're in heating or cooling mode, but it should be on par with a circulator inside a cooler. Compared to a thing stuck in a Cambro, 5-10x less.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Drive By posted:

Sorry nwin, I thought that was the case you were originally referring to. I can't recommend you do cook-chill with our thing, for most foods the core temperature won't decrease fast enough to guarantee safety.

The general cooking curve our algorithm goes through is: chill for a while, cook just in time, decrease temperature slightly if necessary for some reason (when it's possible).

Yeah, thinking more about it I can't think of a situation where you would want to chill AFTER cooking anyways.

By the way, what would happen if I just took a chicken breast and cooked it for 8 hours instead of the normal 1-3 hours?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

nwin posted:

By the way, what would happen if I just took a chicken breast and cooked it for 8 hours instead of the normal 1-3 hours?

An 8hr chicken breast will probably turn into chicken pudding.

Drive By
Feb 26, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
It doesn't pudding out at 8 hours, but a lot of moisture gets squeezed out. It's like eating mushy hay. Pudding's more likely after 24 hours (guess how I know)

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Drive By posted:

It doesn't pudding out at 8 hours, but a lot of moisture gets squeezed out. It's like eating mushy hay. Pudding's more likely after 24 hours (guess how I know)

I think that is going to be your major hurdle with tech reviews. The idea that you can hold sous vide indefinitely. You will have to push hard on texture.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

deimos posted:

Double wall makes it pretty much the same as a coleman cooler. Or do you think most colemans typically used for SV are full of insulation?

Ah, didn't notice the double wall on first look.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Whiteycar posted:

I think that is going to be your major hurdle with tech reviews. The idea that you can hold sous vide indefinitely. You will have to push hard on texture.

Doesn't sound like this is what it does, it will hold it cold until it needs to heat up and cook. If you drop food that would normally cook for ~2hrs in at 7AM before you leave for work it will hold it at 40F until it needs to heat and cook. If you want dinner at 5PM when you walk in it would heat from 2:50PM-3PM and then cook from 3-5PM just like you would if you were there.

SirRobin
Mar 2, 2002

Drive By posted:

Upside-down dogcake should not be attempted anywhere outside Australia.
Well I am most definitely inside Australia and ready to attempt it. Should I sear the dogcake before or after turning it upside-down?

Drive By
Feb 26, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

SirRobin posted:

Well I am most definitely inside Australia and ready to attempt it. Should I sear the dogcake before or after turning it upside-down?

No no no no, you want to pull out your anti-griddle for this one, before turning it upside down, after mellowing it out.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Chemmy posted:

Do you guys not fill your bath with hot tap water?

My hot tap is like 46C (115F).

What?! My hot tap is 145. Did someone burn themselves on the hot tap water? Lukewarm showers? My heart is with you in this time of hardship.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
I'm doing a small smoked ham in my sansaire, but concentration & memory problems are loving with me.

On the package it says cook to a core temp of 75 C. Doesn't that sound pretty high? I would have thought ham would be good at 65?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Dane posted:

I'm doing a small smoked ham in my sansaire, but concentration & memory problems are loving with me.

On the package it says cook to a core temp of 75 C. Doesn't that sound pretty high? I would have thought ham would be good at 65?

aaand never mind, the Sansaire is busted. Moving the temp adjustment ring clockwise makes a grinding noise and it won't even move the other way. Something must have shaken loose. Sigh.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

This thread is anecdotal poison for Sansaire, I wonder if a statistically significant sample has similar failure rates.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'm really happy with my Sansaire, anecdotally.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Chemmy posted:

I'm really happy with my Sansaire, anecdotally.

My anecdotal evidence suggests the sansaire is a perfect machine with no problems whatsoever.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

deimos posted:

This thread is anecdotal poison for Sansaire, I wonder if a statistically significant sample has similar failure rates.

I've been very unlucky, no doubt about it. But I haven't heard of many others with problems.

This one failed because of a bad solder:

The potentiometer-thing for the temp control just snapped off its solder.

The good thing is that their customer service (at least in Europe) is fantastic. At 10 AM I sent them an email describing the problem, at 6 PM I received an answer informing me that a new unit had been shipped to me and that I should feel free to do with the faulty unit what I wanted.

This means that if things work out and I'm able to resolder this one and fix the noise on the other one, I'll end up with 3 units for the price of one ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
There have been surprisingly few complaints on the Kickstarter page since the first few units started arriving, and most of it is people bitching about the "broken" thermal reset switch.