Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Black Getter has Hayato and Benkei as subpilots in Z2.2, yeah. I'm pretty sure the game has a throwaway line about remodeling it so that Hayato and Benkei can handle the same stuff they usually do when they're in Getter-1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Z3 Black Getter seems to be lacking that amazing cut-in of him just beating the poo poo out of someone and that is an absolute travesty. Not to mention how goofy that gun he pulls instead looks.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
What's that weird buzzing noise I keep hearing in the cutscenes? Certain characters seem like they're disoriented or something from what I can tell when it happens. I can't actually read it, so it could be something completely different :v:

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
It happens whenever characters try to remember a previous series or character that isn't in the game, but is related. They all mention their heads hurting, but then it clears up and they cannot remember anything.

The most notable instance of this I have seen so far, is when Kei from Orguss arrives in the second Aquarion stage and is in the middle of saying 'Hey Apollo! Aquarion looks a bit different-' and cuts off with this. Then he is confused about what he was saying because he can't remember Apollo or the original Aquarion any longer.

Alternatively it could be the noise that happens whenever there is a Dimensional Quake.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

HiKaizer posted:

It happens whenever characters try to remember a previous series or character that isn't in the game, but is related. They all mention their heads hurting, but then it clears up and they cannot remember anything.

The most notable instance of this I have seen so far, is when Kei from Orguss arrives in the second Aquarion stage and is in the middle of saying 'Hey Apollo! Aquarion looks a bit different-' and cuts off with this. Then he is confused about what he was saying because he can't remember Apollo or the original Aquarion any longer.

Alternatively it could be the noise that happens whenever there is a Dimensional Quake.

Ah, I figured it was something related to that.

Also, what am I supposed to do on Scenario 4?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Either skip hiking or go hiking. It'll branch briefly but keep your team together.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Hokuto posted:

Either skip hiking or go hiking. It'll branch briefly but keep your team together.

I meant when you just have Mazinger on the field and there's a bunch of dudes, and attacking anything at all causes an autofail.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Oh, yeah. You hold out until the goal changes. If anyone attacks before the event, Brocken kills the hostages.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Bah, I was thinking it was something silly like that. Thanks!

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Hivac posted:

Bah, I was thinking it was something silly like that. Thanks!

I got a little stuck on that one too, thankfully it was in the Akurasu info dump.

KoB
May 1, 2009
How do you combine Gurren Lagann with the CG Dai Gurren?

e: not sure what I did but the option finally came up.

KoB fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 22, 2014

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

KoB posted:

If it's not available from the start of the stage it probably has a Will threshold.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KoB posted:

You need to hit 130 Morale IIRC.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Finally get Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and Mazinger still has more defense :v:

Binbin
Jul 15, 2003

KoB posted:

Finally get Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and Mazinger still has more defense :v:

Well, yeah! Being a loving invincible wall of JAPANIUM is kind of Mazinger's schtick. That and rocket punches.

Actually, I'm only at the beginning of the game, which of Mazinger, Big O, or Kittan wind up with the most armor/bulk at the end, I wonder? Perhaps a strapped-up supershinji is the beefcake supreme?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

One thing about the armor stat is that it's not the totality of a units defense. A mech's size also matters, the larger the mech the less damage it will take. For instance, in Alpha Gaiden Sandrock and Daitarn 3 actually have the same armor stat, yet Daitarn still takes far less damage because it's so much bigger.

A 2L sized unit will be incredibly tanky no matter what simply due to the way size modifiers work.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
They should have made make a dodge modifier for small units that works the same way but in reverse (and makes use of the same "ignore size" ability) Hell, now bigger units now have special attack lines against small units like "I can't hit that tiny thing", so it would make extra sense.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

They should have made make a dodge modifier for small units that works the same way but in reverse (and makes use of the same "ignore size" ability) Hell, now bigger units now have special attack lines against small units like "I can't hit that tiny thing", so it would make extra sense.

They do, though? A larger unit attacking a smaller unit has an accuracy penalty.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
The only problem I have with the accuracy penalty is that it's trivial to overcome it with Strike/Focus/Command Bonuses/Friendship Bonuses/EWACs/etc, while smaller units will always face the damage penalty unless they have size-ignoring attacks or abilities. I'd like to see something like an accuracy cap against smaller units, like 10% or 20% below 100% per level of difference.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Hellioning posted:

They do, though? A larger unit attacking a smaller unit has an accuracy penalty.

Incidentally, the problem now is that being a larger unit is basically always better. It's trivially easy to counter the accuracy penalty for being larger than your target but there's nothing a smaller unit can do to make up the damage loss compared to a bigger unit since Ignore Size only removes the penalty, it doesn't apply any bonuses.

This means that LL units are badass as gently caress.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

They've generally tried to compensate with that with a few things.

First larger units attacks generally have a lower base power, that's also pretty much the reason Soul was made, so the smaller Real Robots can compete, though they seem to have been lessening it's distribution in newer games compared to when ever Real Pilot got it.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

One thing about the armor stat is that it's not the totality of a units defense. A mech's size also matters, the larger the mech the less damage it will take. For instance, in Alpha Gaiden Sandrock and Daitarn 3 actually have the same armor stat, yet Daitarn still takes far less damage because it's so much bigger.

A 2L sized unit will be incredibly tanky no matter what simply due to the way size modifiers work.

Alpha Gaiden didn't actually have size modifiers for damage or dodging, the listed sizes were just for flavor. Daitarn was on the frailer end of supers in Alpha Gaiden and mostly coasted on its massive HP pool. In modern games size is important, though.

It's also worth remembering that a decent level of Prevail (6+ or so) will significantly increase the amount of attacks it takes grunts to kill a unit. In practice Shin Getter 1 will be harder to take out than something like Big O despite the difference in Armor just due to Roger lacking Prevail. It doesn't help as much against hard hitting bosses but that's what spirits are for.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hellioning posted:

Oh really? Where is that described in the game? Unless I'm mistaken, all it talks about is the damage penalty for small -> big.

I just got my favorite giant banana robot in the whole world.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Space King Kittan seriously is just such a goddamn crazy-good unit it isn't even funny. I paired him with Mazinger and it was like a whirling banana-shaped dervish of death.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Does Sandrock still have hilariously high defense? Because that was one of my favorite things about Z2.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

TARDISman posted:

Does Sandrock still have hilariously high defense? Because that was one of my favorite things about Z2.

Yes. Yes it does.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Is it normal for every single mook to feel like a Barrelion? This poo poo is taking forever to get through.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Hivac posted:

Is it normal for every single mook to feel like a Barrelion? This poo poo is taking forever to get through.

If it's the Talos statues from Mazinger, absolutely. That's kind of their thing, being walking statues.

There are plenty of grunts that go down in a hit or two too.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Prism posted:

If it's the Talos statues from Mazinger, absolutely. That's kind of their thing, being walking statues.

I meant more the not-Zaku things in the following mission. Most of my guys are really only effectively hitting for around 2000-2500 and they all have 6500+ HP in Twin pairs. Are stats determined by difficulty?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Hivac posted:

I meant more the not-Zaku things in the following mission. Most of my guys are really only effectively hitting for around 2000-2500 and they all have 6500+ HP in Twin pairs. Are stats determined by difficulty?

There are lots of missions with Taloses so you will have to be a little more specific. I also can't remember what comes after their first stage. Arm Slaves? Plus if you are using bad units like the early game Gundam stuff that will slow it down.

Stats might be determined by difficulty. I have 100% SRs so far so I have no basis of comparison.

If all else fails, drop some cash on weapons. It might just be me but the first few points feel cheaper.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Prism posted:

Well the last stage I played had squads of Jegan and Geara Doga with 10k HP each.

The mook HP got kinda high in the last couple of stages for me.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Prism posted:

There are lots of missions with Taloses so you will have to be a little more specific. I also can't remember what comes after their first stage. Arm Slaves? Plus if you are using bad units like the early game Gundam stuff that will slow it down.

Stats might be determined by difficulty. I have 100% SRs so far so I have no basis of comparison.

If all else fails, drop some cash on weapons. It might just be me but the first few points feel cheaper.

It was the one where the TDD shows up for the first time. I failed the point by quite a bit. I guess I'm just used to the silliness that is Z2.2 and 2ndOGs.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I've also been noticing the grunt HP thing early on, and the size modifier issue. I'm fine as long as I'm fighting Votoms grunts, but as soon as the Mazinger grunts show up, it suddenly takes a concerted effort by three teams to take down a pair of Talos statues. The damage penalty is starting to become noticeable.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Hokuto posted:

I've also been noticing the grunt HP thing early on, and the size modifier issue. I'm fine as long as I'm fighting Votoms grunts, but as soon as the Mazinger grunts show up, it suddenly takes a concerted effort by three teams to take down a pair of Talos statues. The damage penalty is starting to become noticeable.

I didn't have an issue with the Talos guys, it was when Unicorn grunts started showing up that I got a bit annoyed. "Kill in X Turns" feels a hell of a lot harder in this game.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Hivac posted:

I didn't have an issue with the Talos guys, it was when Unicorn grunts started showing up that I got a bit annoyed. "Kill in X Turns" feels a hell of a lot harder in this game.
The Unicorn grunts are made out of tissue paper and are m sized units. Am I missing something?

TARDISman posted:

As bad as the Endless Waltz animations are they're all really good units, well I haven't tried Wu-fei out much actually but all of the other ones have really good uses.

I can't believe Heavy Arms' animations though, I think even the Alpha Gaiden animations are better than what it has in Z3. Its assist attack is extremely strong though. Scythe is also a bit clunky with its all attack but his crit values are so high and the attack is easily accessible.

I guess they're finally running on fumes with Gundam Wing stuff and half-reinventing them every single time.

[e]Yea rewatching Z2's Gundam Wing custom units, it's pretty much a straight downgrade across the board to the EW units. I can see why people were a bit miffed about this. Man they had great cut-ins too in Z2, how did I forget about these

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 22, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I just remember thinking it was hilarious that Sandrock had higher defense than Mazinger when they were both fully upgraded.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I thought it was badass they went with the Wing TV units for Z2 but after all the times we've seen Endless Waltz in SRW it feels kind of tacked on. They could have left Wing off and I don't think the game would have suffered a bit.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I dunno about that because they really seem to love use Heero for all the story stuff. Not that I really know but goddamn his portrait comes up a lot !!!!! haha

Plus just like someone said for Asakim, I think Midorikawa would burn their offices down if he wasn't in the game in some major form

Eternal Volfogg
Feb 13, 2012

BOMBER!!!!

Hivac posted:

What level weapons on your using on most of your main attackers? Being on HARD difficulty also affects hit rate/hp i believe, at least it has in the past for SRW's.

If you don't have solid twins set up where the assists can do close to as much damage as a mid-line move for the main pilot it can also be a little tricky. Serpents (the wing grunts with 8550) took me usually 2 attacks to take down, Talos' etc usually like 3 early on.

At least until i FUB'd Gurren lagann and just continuous action and kill like 7 squads per turn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Eternal Volfogg posted:

What level weapons on your using on most of your main attackers? Being on HARD difficulty also affects hit rate/hp i believe, at least it has in the past for SRW's.

If you don't have solid twins set up where the assists can do close to as much damage as a mid-line move for the main pilot it can also be a little tricky. Serpents (the wing grunts with 8550) took me usually 2 attacks to take down, Talos' etc usually like 3 early on.

At least until i FUB'd Gurren lagann and just continuous action and kill like 7 squads per turn

Hard Mode gives the enemies three bars of upgrades in all categories as I understand it.

• Locked thread