Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

The smoking gun of Russian involvement in eastern Ukraine

Taken out of context from another image/article that is purportedly highlighting evidence of Russian spec ops operating in eastern Ukraine seen here: http://pressimus.com/Interpreter_Mag/press/2383

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

I would totally use a crash axe to smash a scope though.

You have no idea how big of a chubby I would get if I got to do the emergency destruction of munitions procedures for real.

Actually I would be making GBS threads my pants because if things have gotten to the point where we are blowing muns stockpiles in place I probably have a life expectancy measured in hours if not minutes.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Patriot procedures are to radiate, lock on to everything in the sky, and fire until the missiles are gone. I'm pretty sure. Or maybe I'm confusing that with 80's Cold War tactics.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

Patriot procedures are to radiate, lock on to everything in the sky, and fire until the missiles are gone. I'm pretty sure. Or maybe I'm confusing that with 80's Cold War 5-52 ADA's tactics.
FTFY

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pfff, they left so many planes alive. And they even got blown up by the air force once. And lost a maintenance company that got chewed up.

At least in the frat dept, the USAF frat on Patriot was demonstrably stupider than Patriot shooting down the aircraft, even though the USAF pilot was lucky enough not to kill anyone.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 21, 2014

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

mlmp08 posted:

This kind of theorycraft seems really dodgy to me, although I am admittedly not even remotely an expert. When looking at all the second and third order effects of giving up on AAA, I can't help but imagine that suddenly all the supply lines and production facilities feeding/arming/fueling the Army, much less 500,000 extra guys, would get absolutely hammered by much more precise strikes in a way not seen in WWII.

No, all that kind of theory-crafting is really, really, super dodgey. The guy running the course was notoriously kinda poo poo and the class itself was a WW2 themed class that was about 60% super-motivated ROTC types who needed to slot in a graduation requirement and 30% self-identified "amateur military historians" aka the sorts of people who watch history channel 24/7 and will argue with you with a passion usually reserved for Naruto about whether Confederate uniform codes specified that the bottom button of the dress jacket be open or closed.

God that was not a fun semester. The same guy also claimed that there was no racial component to the German war on the eastern front (because both Germans and Russians are white, you see) and that there was no racial component to the American war in the Pacific, at all, end of story. His understanding of race was. . . interesting. I have a bunch of insane quotes from him that I jotted down that semester and I remember one was something like "there are four races in the world: white, black, red, and yellow." He was also a huge fan of German "super weapons" and liked to spin what iffs about the ME 262 and the Type XXI U-Boat coming out two years earlier. The worst was that he pro-actively, on the first day of class told us to never, ever "teach against" him and we then had to spend the rest of the semester very quietly talking to the 10% of the room that could smell bullshit and basically just telling them to reproduce the answers that he was asking for on the test while recognizing that, yes, <insert crazy thing here> was indeed crazy.

Oh yeah, he assigned his own book as well. Not that many people actually do that. It's generally considered pretty gauche with a few pretty narrow exceptions, and in the instances where it kinda has to be done because the professor is specifically an expert in that topic it's usually acknowledged and frequently semi-apologized for. Usually in those cases the book is mind-blowingly good to the point where any halfway decent student recognizes how loving lucky they are to be able to ask the author questions about it face to face.

His book was loving terrible and was tangentially related to the course, at best.

The only reason I mentioned the whole AAA argument was because someone else already brought it up and I happened to remember those figures from the lectures. Credit where credit is due, he was always spot on with his figures, probably as a result of teaching a steady stream of :spergin: "amateur military historians" :spergin: for the past couple of decades.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Oh god the 262. At least the 163 had the common decency to blow itself up on the ground every now and then.

The 262 is so incredibly overrated.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Taerkar posted:

Oh god the 262. At least the 163 had the common decency to blow itself up on the ground every now and then.

I love the 262 and the 163, AND the He 162. But only from 'looks amazing', 'really damned cool' and 'I <3 technology' views.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Cyrano4747 posted:

No, all that kind of theory-crafting is really, really, super dodgey. The guy running the course was notoriously kinda poo poo and the class itself was a WW2 themed class that was about 60% super-motivated ROTC types who needed to slot in a graduation requirement and 30% self-identified "amateur military historians" aka the sorts of people who watch history channel 24/7 and will argue with you with a passion usually reserved for Naruto about whether Confederate uniform codes specified that the bottom button of the dress jacket be open or closed.

The ROTC-required military history class here is actually taught by the ROTC cadre, which grudgingly allows the latter category of student to take the course. The university requires the ROTC department to allow anyone to enroll in its classes (once all of the cadets have already signed up). When I was in ROTC we had tons of those kids signing up to take that and the actual ROTC Military Leadership courses, thinking they would learn about tactics and fighting and poo poo instead of listening to retarded powerpoints made by some GS-12 about "time management" and doing map reading quizzes every week.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 21, 2014

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Taerkar posted:

I have had people in other parts of the internet try to tell me that the F-86's wing design was copied from the 262. Because all swept wings are the same.

If we're talking about overrated German weapon systems, one would be remiss if they did not mention the V2.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

LostCosmonaut posted:

If we're talking about overrated German weapon systems, one would be remiss if they did not mention the V2.

As a weapon at the time it was worthless and a waste of a heck of a lot of resources. But as far as advancing rocketry as a science, it was very successful.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

My favorite bit about the V2 was how the British double agent network sent back false or inaccurate BDA reports to mess up German targeting data. They apparently had radio directional data, but for some reason always trusted their human sources.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

LostCosmonaut posted:

If we're talking about overrated German weapon systems, one would be remiss if they did not mention the V2 PzKpfw VI.

Fixed it for you. Stupid Tiger fanboys.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Davin Valkri posted:

Stupid Tiger fanboys.

Wehraboos are even worse than weeaboos.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The whole air campaign cuts both ways as well. Would the allies have been better off not mounting a strategic bomber offensive and spending the industrial resources elsewhere. I don't know about America, but i've heard respectable estimates it ate up about a third of British industrial production.

Maybe a retooled Britain goes into D-day with Centurions rather than Shermans for example.

I also wonder if counter-intuitivley not bombing may have damaged German production more. No, bear with me. What i mean is German production was woefully organised and wasteful for an astonishing amount of the war. Without the galvanising effect of the Allies attempting to disrupt production, i wonder if those efforts would have come later and far less thouroughly.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

LostCosmonaut posted:

Wehraboos are even worse than weeaboos.

Wehraboos! That's brilliant! Totally using that.

The V2 is the gold standard of useless military projects as the program cost a fair bit more than the Manhattan project and actually killed more people in its construction than in its use.

Not that the USA and the Soviets were not grateful for the tech, mind you

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

Wehraboos! That's brilliant! Totally using that.

The V2 is the gold standard of useless military projects as the program cost a fair bit more than the Manhattan project and actually killed more people in its construction than in its use.

Not that the USA and the Soviets were not grateful for the tech, mind you

Even the Manhattan project basically did gently caress-all for World War 2. It was probably only doable during wartime due to the way that the government was willing to just firehose money and resources at gently caress near anything that could be used to kill a German or the Japanese, but by the time it was employed the ultimate outcome was beyond inevitable. Oh, sure, it put a hell of an exclamation point on the end of it all and cut short what could have been a really goddamned ugly final chapter, but the over all arc of the war doesn't change much without it.

It also stands as one of the most important scientific achievements of the 20th century and directly lead to weapons that completely changed how international diplomacy and great powers foreign policy were conducted.

Then again, it's also a little hard to see us waving our cocks at the Russians from the surface of the moon without the lessons learned and technologies developed at Peenemünde.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cyrano4747 posted:

Even the Manhattan project basically did gently caress-all for World War 2. It was probably only doable during wartime due to the way that the government was willing to just firehose money and resources at gently caress near anything that could be used to kill a German or the Japanese, but by the time it was employed the ultimate outcome was beyond inevitable. Oh, sure, it put a hell of an exclamation point on the end of it all and cut short what could have been a really goddamned ugly final chapter, but the over all arc of the war doesn't change much without it.

Yeah, Edward S. Miller more or less makes this point at the end of War Plan Orange. The atomic bomb solved the previously more-or-less insolvable problem of forcing to the Japanese to surrender without recourse to a long ground campaign that would've rivaled the Eastern Front as the nastiest campaign of the war.

This is, incidentally, the fundamental flaw with people who say the war could've been won without Hiroshima and Nagasaki being atomized. It couldn't, at least not without even worse bloodshed. Gar Alperovitz and all who sail in him are just loving wrong.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Cyrano4747 posted:

I TA'd for a guy who ran a similar argument in one of his lectures. I forget the exact figures, but it was something on the order of a million men in AAA related activities alone.

Even if you just boiled it down to "give every one of those guys a K98k and throw him at the Red Army" poo poo starts to look really different.

Of course, a lot of those guys DID end up handed K98ks (or, more frequently, re-deploying their 88s as artillery and AT along with getting handed K98ks) which goes a loving long way to explaining how and why the Soviets still had a fight on their hands as they marched west after hitting the old Prussian border. In reality it was a kind of de facto reserve army even after Army Group Center shat the bed and things started rolling downhill fast.

As memory serves, the Germans had something like a hundred thousand AA guns of varying calibre deployed to defend German cities.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
A good bit before the war the general scientific consensus seemed to be that there would be an A-bomb and it was merely a question of who would get it first and when. So in a scenario where Manhattan ran further behind schedule and didn't get to Trinity before V-J day, it likely would've had funding reduced with everything else, but I'd consider it highly unlikely we wouldn't have had bombs by the mid-50s. The idea that there wouldn't be some form of US bomb development project is unrealistic, considering every major nation had one, productive or not.

The bombs not being critical to the war effort can be considered dumb luck as much as anything else. The only reason they were dropped in August 1945 is because that's the earliest they were ready, the third one (if not later ones) quite possibly would've been dropped if it'd been ready in time, and of course they fell at war's end since they essentially ended the war, and imagining scenarios without them (or scenarios where they were ready much earlier, or the Pacific War had just gone more poorly, etc.) is pure conjecture.

I'd argue that the strategic bombing campaign led to a variety of technical and doctrinal lessons learned that we would've had to figure out painfully at some point, but I'm not going to bother arguing it was worth the cost. The A-bomb itself would've been impossible to deploy without a mature fast-high-far bomber to carry it. Post-war politics also would've been a helluva lot different if the US didn't think it could largely solve problems with huge planes flying from domestic airbases. Again, pure conjecture.

If you don't read The Nuclear Secrecy Blog, I highly recommend you spend an afternoon churning through it; here's just a few relevant articles:

http://blog.nuclearsecrecy.com/2013/10/04/atomic-bomb-used-nazi-germany/
http://blog.nuclearsecrecy.com/2013/08/09/why-nagasaki/
http://blog.nuclearsecrecy.com/2013/03/08/the-decision-to-use-the-bomb-a-consensus-view/

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Yeah, Edward S. Miller more or less makes this point at the end of War Plan Orange. The atomic bomb solved the previously more-or-less insolvable problem of forcing to the Japanese to surrender without recourse to a long ground campaign that would've rivaled the Eastern Front as the nastiest campaign of the war.

This is, incidentally, the fundamental flaw with people who say the war could've been won without Hiroshima and Nagasaki being atomized. It couldn't, at least not without even worse bloodshed. Gar Alperovitz and all who sail in him are just loving wrong.

The you always get the people who say that there was a third option. A blockade.

Those are the best ones, because you get to point out that they enjoy starving people to death.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

VikingSkull posted:

The you always get the people who say that there was a third option. A blockade.

Those are the best ones, because you get to point out that they enjoy starving people to death.

The weirdest ones are the ones who think we should've dropped the first one off the Japanese coast to scare them.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
It's been a while since we had aircraft pics, so here you go. I can rip off the Aviationist* :downs:

*They just gank their pics/stories from elsewhere anyway.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
In his book Hell to Pay D.M. Giangreco points out that the Japanese had predicted fairly precisely when and where we intended to land in both the invasion of Kyushu and the invasion of Honshu and that the defenses for both were highly robust. It's actually a little chilling how accurate their plans were.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Well, in a situation like that, you know the terrain, you know the enemy's capabilities and tactics, and you know how to mission-plan.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

mlmp08 posted:

It's been a while since we had aircraft pics, so here you go. I can rip off the Aviationist* :downs:

Someone needs to photoshop this with the cost of the Karbala raid.

Godholio posted:

Well, in a situation like that, you know the terrain, you know the enemy's capabilities and tactics, and you know how to mission-plan.

You're just a little...resource limited.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Godholio posted:

There are procedures in place. It's probably different for different airframes because we all carry different poo poo. As mentioned, that's a bad question. I would totally use a crash axe to smash a scope though.

Is that part of the procedure, though, or would it just be for jollies on the way out the door?

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I just finished reading this excellent thread, I think I've learnt more from here than anywhere else (shows how little I know).

About 5 years ago I was in a chemistry class and a Vulcan did a low pass over the school, it set off a load of alarms in the car park. Turns out it was flown by a kids dad who wanted to show off :allears:.

Definitely the coolest thing I've seen/heard.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

iyaayas01 posted:

Someone needs to photoshop this with the cost of the Karbala raid.
Hahaha now I don't feel bad for thinking Karbala as soon as I scrolled past.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MrYenko posted:

Is that part of the procedure, though, or would it just be for jollies on the way out the door?

Just for the hell of it. Scopes are just display/user interface, no memory of any kind. But seriously...AXES. There's one 5 feet from my seat.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The one last thing to remember about the idea of an US invasion of Japan at the end of World War II would've been Soviet involvement and a probable division of the Japanese islands between a Soviet administered North and American South.

Then again, I don't think we know much about Soviet plans for Japan because Hiroshima and Nagasaki happened right as the Soviets declared war and rolled over Manchuria.

But imagine what a post-war world/cold war world we would've lived in without a united Japan and it's post-war economic miracle.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Quoting the book I mentioned earlier:

quote:

Lastly there were the Soviets, who planned to invade the northernmost Home Island of Hokkaido little more than two weeks after their armies stormed into Manchuria. It must be noted, however, that both the Soviet army’s intent and capabilities are regularly blown well out of proportion by breathless individuals who have not bothered to closely read the works of the principal Western scholar to have intimately examined this subject. At one point the Soviets had looked at the possibility of conducting an amphibious operation to seize the relatively populous southern half of the island. But between their essentially nonexistent assault shipping, some transportable artillery but no armor, woefully inadequate naval gunfire support, and no ability to provide air support for the operation, plus the fact that the Japanese Fifth Area Army’s defenses in southern Hokkaido, although undermanned, were well developed and recently upgraded, the Soviets wisely changed course. U.S. planners looking at the same territory estimated that four U.S. infantry divisions and one armored division, with the customary lavish support, were required for much the same task.

Instead the Soviets switched to an operation calling for landings at a small, isolated port on the northwest coast. When the war ended, plans were on hold for the piecemeal insertion of two 87th Rifle Corps infantry divisions supported by a naval infantry battalion and as many as two construction battalions, while a third division continued mopping up the Kuril Islands and could eventually be made available for the lodgment. It was intended that air elements sufficient to support the invasion be hastily deployed forward to captured Japanese airfields on the southern half of Sakhalin Island, and the Soviets would have been able to do this with not an excessive amount of difficulty.

The Soviet navy’s support was another matter, and the operation’s naval component was so ludicrously small that the second rifle division to land would have had to wait until the six Lend-Lease LCIs (landing craft infantry) and a variety of slow-moving vessels used in place of assault shipping (trawlers, torpedo cutters, subchasers , and American-made minesweepers), returned more than two hundred miles to a recently secured Sakhalin port to pick them up. Soviet warships had conducted no exercises, either combined or on their own initiative, in naval gunfire support of troops ashore, and all ships’ antiaircraft protection and training were dangerously inadequate.

Despite the obvious deficiencies in Soviet amphibious capabilities, limitations in both manpower and materiel for this operation, and likelihood that the understrength 87th Rifle Corps would have been easily contained by minimal Japanese forces in this heavily mountainous region, a successful lodgment would nevertheless have served the wider political purposes of the Soviet government by its simple presence on Japanese soil if Washington had given a green light to the escapade.

Basically, the best they could hope for was not being thrown back into the sea. I don't know that a tiny beachhead would have given the Soviets the leverage to split Japan into their puppet state in the north and a free state in the south. It very well may have made life difficult for us though so it's probably a good thing they didn't get the opportunity to try.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Booblord Zagats posted:

NATO reporting name "Shark Vulva"

Uh that's a male shark. Twin claspers, they work similar to a penis.

So not only are sharks cool and bitey they also have dual dicks.

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.
I recently picked up the book "Vipers in the Storm" on a whim because I got interested in the Desert Storm air war and F-16's in particular. Anyone else who's read it or knows about it, is the book worth reading? It does have a foreword by Dick Cheney :jerkbag:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Karl Rove posted:

It does have a foreword by Dick Cheney :jerkbag:

Username/post combo right here.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Godholio posted:

Just for the hell of it. Scopes are just display/user interface, no memory of any kind. But seriously...AXES. There's one 5 feet from my seat.

Kinda what I figured. :black101:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Snowdens Secret posted:

The weirdest ones are the ones who think we should've dropped the first one off the Japanese coast to scare them.

This one is good too because the Japanese would probably just think a ship loaded with munitions exploded and we were trying to play it off as a weapon.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

This one is good too because the Japanese would probably just think a ship loaded with munitions exploded and we were trying to play it off as a weapon.

I like the "Just drop it on a remote military installation", because by 1945 Japan would totally be shocked if one of their remote bases suddenly reported an attack and then stopped responding.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Japanese trying to figure out what the hell just happened at Hiroshima is pretty interesting (and macabre, and sad, too). They obviously knew nothing about the weapon, no major bombing raid had occurred, the US fleet was a thousand miles away, and an entire city was burning.

They came up with some pretty crazy ideas: the US had initiated a tsunami, they'd tunnelled under the city somehow and set off some sort of volcanic explosion, they'd managed to "cloak" a bombing raid somehow...and so on. The military's final best guess was that the US had spent months covering the entire city with magnesium and had then detonated it with a single bomb; this kind of makes sense when you read about all of the eyewitness reports saying that the explosion was exactly like that of a magnesium flash going off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
There was a letter attached to the instruments dropped right before the Nagasaki bomb with a letter to Japanese atomic scientist Ryokichi Sagane basically saying "tell your bosses about what a nuclear bomb means and how hosed they are".

Source