Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Rick Story/Jeremy Horn choking out Brian Foster/Liddell from guard.

The Rick Story one was insane because Foster got Story into his guard but Story is just super strong I guess and still choked him out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
While still impressive I believe Story was sliding through Foster's guard into mount at the time. Still crazy but he wasn't in closed guard I believe.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Nope, he started in half and Foster got it to guard before he finally tapped.

Bell the Cat
Apr 5, 2004

Dirty pool old man. I like it.

quote:

UFC rule # 24. Using abusive language in the ring or fenced area.

Not that I'm complaining because I'm a big Nick Diaz fan, but has this rule ever been enforced?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Bell the Cat posted:

Not that I'm complaining because I'm a big Nick Diaz fan, but has this rule ever been enforced?

I think one (or both) of the Diaz's have been warned about it, but there's never been a point deduction or anything that I'm aware of.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of chokes, I wish we saw more North/South chokes.

Are they hard to do, easy to defend or a combination of the two?

I think I became PSPs sole Jeff Monson fan after the Brandon Lee Hinkle submission.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Bell the Cat posted:

Reza Madadi was warned for telling Cristiano Marcello "Get up, bitch". Reza Madadi's imprisonment was a sad blow to the UFC.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

xcore posted:

Speaking of chokes, I wish we saw more North/South chokes.

Are they hard to do, easy to defend or a combination of the two?

I think I became PSPs sole Jeff Monson fan after the Brandon Lee Hinkle submission.

North/South chokes, much like guillotines and d'arce chokes, are moves that are easy to be bad at, because a lot of the little details that make the different between it being tight and not aren't very visually obvious.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Are they not trained very often or something? I'm sure you're point is correct, but with the amount of BJJ black and brown belts running around, I would have thought those fighters would know what those small nuances are.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Its also really easy to lose a good position if your north/south doesn't work out.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

xcore posted:

Are they not trained very often or something? I'm sure you're point is correct, but with the amount of BJJ black and brown belts running around, I would have thought those fighters would know what those small nuances are.

It is one thing to know a technique and an entirely different thing to use it against a resisting opponent. Getting hit in the head only complicates things.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

xcore posted:

All these small things that can go wrong make it a lower percentage technique. I'd say in a lot of cases under MMA rules people may be more inclined to only use north south as a way to transition to side control.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Pocket Billiards posted:

All these small things that can go wrong make it a lower percentage technique. I'd say in a lot of cases under MMA rules people may be more inclined to only use north south as a way to transition to side control.

You said the magic words, now the pale wonder will appear from the depths to rubber guard all over the thread.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I've flipped through Eddie Bravo books at the martial arts store on more than one occasion and bookmarked this thread and I don't understand.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I believe he speaks of the mythical CortXBomb, known to pull guard and rap all over the north while avoiding sources of melatonin engorging light.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Okay, as long as the pale wonder isn't Jeff Monson I'm happy not to understand.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

fatherdog posted:

North/South chokes, much like guillotines and d'arce chokes, are moves that are easy to be bad at, because a lot of the little details that make the different between it being tight and not aren't very visually obvious.

This. Especially against a higher level guy who has had higher level chokes on him or her. You either get the choke perfect or you don't have it at all. The nuances can be so subtle, but they are so crucial. And when you've got a sub in, and you're tired and have been punched and everyone is yelling, poo poo can be harder.

I have a video where during a fight, I fail a d'arce choke because the knuckle part of my glove is in the way. It's such a terrible thing, I had to fight two more rounds. The video focuses on exactly that and it's loving horrible every time I watch it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

fatherdog posted:

On that note, why do fighters resort to standing guillotine chokes so often when the success rate is so low? It looks like a very tiring submission, and half the time the fighter attempting the choke ends up on his back, leaving them in a lovely position when their opponent's head inevitably pops out.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Desperation, bad fight IQ, overconfidence in one's ability to finish.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Fruits of the sea posted:

On that note, why do fighters resort to standing guillotine chokes so often when the success rate is so low? It looks like a very tiring submission, and half the time the fighter attempting the choke ends up on his back, leaving them in a lovely position when their opponent's head inevitably pops out.

If you watch local amateur events you'll see half of all fights actually ending by lovely arm in guillotine. It works against really bad opponents trying to take you down with no wrestling ability.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

On that note, why do fighters resort to standing guillotine chokes so often when the success rate is so low?

The success rate on guillotines isn't any lower than any other submission, you just see them a lot because people stick their heads in the right place for them a lot.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Fat Twitter Man posted:

If you watch local amateur events you'll see half of all fights actually ending by lovely arm in guillotine. It works against really bad opponents trying to take you down with no wrestling ability.

The standing arm-in guillotine is the B-League Special, and it is to be treasured every time it occurs.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

fatherdog posted:

The success rate on guillotines isn't any lower than any other submission, you just see them a lot because people stick their heads in the right place for them a lot.

And even if you really haven't trained much grappling it's a pretty instinctive thing to just grab and squeeze someones neck if they stick it under your arm in a fight.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

lmao im a dork

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

DekeThornton posted:

And even if you really haven't trained much grappling it's a pretty instinctive thing to just grab and squeeze someones neck if they stick it under your arm in a fight.

I remember the first one I ever saw was a kickboxer doing it to another boxer or kickboxer on one of the single-digit UFC cards. The other guy tried the clumsiest takedown and put his head under the first guy's arm, and the first guy just grabbed his wrist and stood up straight. He had the greatest look on his face as it dawned to him that he was going to win without getting punched once.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

fatherdog posted:

Yeah, you definitely see a poo poo-ton of attempts, though the success rate is actually pretty low, ~14% vs an overall submission success rate of ~20%.

(according to fightonomics)

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

fatherdog posted:

I own at d'arce chokes, arm triangles, anacondas, and RNCs, but I can't finish a north south choke to save my life. My attempts are also painful to my training partners. Do you know of any videos that do a good job of explaining the subtleties of angle and pressure and stuff?

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

fatherdog posted:

I have a bad tendency when rolling to get taps with these moves, but my partner was tapping to the neck pain rather than a choke. I'm getting better though.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Lots of people have already replied with correct answers, but it also serves to dissuade your opponent from continuing the takedown. If you manage to put your head into a standing guillotine and its actually done well, going to the ground is the last thing you want.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
Also they are awesome when they work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Gmn3YDxJo

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
It's a shame Dan Miller's UFC run has not been that good

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

a lot of the times you see a guy attempt a standing guillotine, it's the other person going for a takedown, them threatening with the choke, and the other person giving up the takedown to defend the choke. as long as you don't try to pull guard into a traditional guillotine, it's just something to keep you from getting taken down.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I'm 190ish posts behind on the bellator and bleague threads, can someone spoil all the jokes for me

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

omg chael crash posted:

I'm 190ish posts behind on the bellator and bleague threads, can someone spoil all the jokes for me

Bellator.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

omg chael crash posted:

Oplot reinvented themselves as a pro-USSR police force and now roams the Ukrainian countryside beating up non-believers. Rampage is a 2 to 1 favourite over King Mo.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

henkman posted:

It's a shame Dan Miller's UFC run has not been that good

But at least Dan Jr seems to be doing well :unsmith:

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

omg chael crash posted:

Tito is back, baby!

-Atom- fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 2, 2014

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Have there been many cases in history like the UFC is dealing with right now for Chael's fight at UFC 175? Don't they usually just take a fight off the card or reschedule it further out if they have difficulty with multiple fighters having to drop out before the event or is that totally up to the remaining fighter as to whether or not he'll fight whoever they decide to toss in on short notice? Seems weird they're outright listing it as Chael VS TBD - I think that's the first time I've seen that on an official card rundown.

Curious to see who he actually ends up fighting after all the drug test/availability dust settles if Vitor also ends up being removed.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Have there been many cases in history like the UFC is dealing with right now for Chael's fight at UFC 175? Don't they usually just take a fight off the card or reschedule it further out if they have difficulty with multiple fighters having to drop out before the event or is that totally up to the remaining fighter as to whether or not he'll fight whoever they decide to toss in on short notice? Seems weird they're outright listing it as Chael VS TBD - I think that's the first time I've seen that on an official card rundown.

Curious to see who he actually ends up fighting after all the drug test/availability dust settles if Vitor also ends up being removed.

Sarah Kaufman had two opponents fall out before fighting Leslie Smith just a few months ago (Though both were injury replacements)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
UFC 151 was the biggest clusterfuck in history