Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Lego Batman 2 isn't the greatest thing ever, but Troy Baker makes a GREAT Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm obviously just being a complete moron here, but how do I start this DLC on PC? Please don't tell me you have to have completed the game to access it.

edit: fixed it with a restart of Steam.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 22, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I'm obviously just being a complete moron here, but how do I start this DLC on PC? Please don't tell me you have to have completed the game to access it.

It sounds like it'd be a good idea to wait for at least one patch before you start things up. Folks are reporting the same sort of geometry and sroken save glitches that made AO unplayable at launch.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 22, 2014

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Not sure how far I am, but I love this DLC so far. The atmosphere is VERY tight, and a certain level reminds me HEAVILY of Noveria/Hot Labs from Mass Effect 1. Far, far better than HQR. Haven't run into bugs yet though, but if I do, i'd gladly play this again anyway. Hopefully this isn't the last Batman content before Arkham Knight.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Pirate Jet posted:

Also, ice ray guys are the worst addition to Arkham combat ever.

I always bee-line to them and hit them with a triple cape stun. Knocks them out long enough for me to build up a combo and take them out with the ground baterang takedown.

Just finished it. It's pretty good, but the last section feels kinda rushed and the inclusion of the city areas feel a bit like excessive padding.

You pretty much go back to where Freeze stonewalled you earlier (making you run off for a fetch quest) only to be quickly shown "welp he's not evil" followed up immediately by final boss fight.

There isn't really enough time to develop any character for him besides Noooooooooora.

Minor irks:
Freeze's suit is apparently made of scraps he had lying about on a table :rolleyes:
Batman sticks this super massive drill in one of his tiny utility pouches

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ah nuts to this. Twice I've been stuck in the black void of death with no way out.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Just played a bit of it, did a patch roll out with it or something? Combat in Cold, Cold Heart feels a lot better than in the main game. I'm in the city, just got the codes to Gothcorp, I have no idea just how far in I am yet. I really like it so far. Something about it feels spot on.

Edit: vv Yeah, should be just above 'Online" in the main menu.

catlord fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 23, 2014

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Is it a seperate button to start the story, just like Harley Quinn's Revenge? Because in my original save, he's been stuck in the my alibi black void for months.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Fargin Icehole posted:

Is it a seperate button to start the story, just like Harley Quinn's Revenge? Because in my original save, he's been stuck in the my alibi black void for months.

It's completely seperate from the main game, you get to keep all your upgrades except for the glue mines because the glue was 'unstable and has degraded'.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There's something profoundly unnerving about a Batman game where a mook talks about how he wants to go straight and get out of a life of crime but nobody will hire him because he has a criminal record and he has a kid on the way. Followed directly by you unavoidably having to drop down and shatter both his arms.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Didn't get to experience the My Alibi bug the first time around. :downs:

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012
Cold Cold Heart bug: got to the crime scene recreation of Mr. Freeze's accident, game is obviously supposed to cut to a cinematic… goes to a black screen. With the fully orchestrated score of the cutscene playing in the background.

Oh, Origins. :allears:

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I'm up to the my alibi area, and i'm afraid of going in. I can't believe they think this game is fixed, now people will realize what the gently caress is going on when they make My Alibi a requirement to getting in, rather than a hassle to get the disarm combo.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 23, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Phylodox posted:

After all, you can choose to find Nora for Freeze.

That's not really that concrete of an argument. Batman can choose to do the Riddler stuff in Asylum. The story of City says that he definitely did.

Pirate Jet posted:

Nah. Just chuck one of those disruptor things at them, punch a few unarmed guys, then combat takedown them when you get close.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 23, 2014

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012
Okay, reloaded, got past the bug I posted about above. Get to the fight against Freeze, which comes shortly afterwards, game hard locks.

I'm out. At least until there's a patch.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
The freeze gun thugs are pretty easy just like most of the other armored enemies. If you focus on them with a beat down, you can build up your combos pretty quickly, and just counter/instant takedown anyone who comes near you without breaking the combo.

The only time there's any issue is if there's more than one guy with a gun, in which case you might have to jump around a bit to avoid getting ventilated or frozen.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Just finished it, enjoyed it and was lucky not to get any of the bugs being reported.

I made a map of the anarchy tags while I was doing them if anyone wants it.

Pirate Jet posted:

Why? I thought they were fine and added something else to watch out for in combat. They were piss easy to beat too. Treat them as an armored guy with a fancy gun. When you hear the gun power up (there's a very distinct sound), just evade a couple times. Most the time I just used beatdowns on them until I could use a takedown.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Nah. Just chuck one of those disruptor things at them, punch a few unarmed guys, then combat takedown them when you get close.

That's the thing, an enemy shouldn't be so annoying that they're basically relegated to "save a combat takedown" status. Knife dudes, baton dudes, and armored dudes are small variations that make for fun combat with or without combo moves. Ice rays are just brick walls in terms of pacing.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Pirate Jet posted:

That's the thing, an enemy shouldn't be so annoying that they're basically relegated to "save a combat takedown" status. Knife dudes, baton dudes, and armored dudes are small variations that make for fun combat with or without combo moves. Ice rays are just brick walls in terms of pacing.

But you don't have to save a combat takedown for them? (beatdown)

Edit: They are armored dudes with a fancy gun who can be taken down as easily as a standard armored dude.

Keeku fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 23, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

They are literally just slightly weaker gun enemies who are armored. You treat them the same as you would any armored foe.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

Pirate Jet posted:

To be fair, you do start Cold Cold Heart with max upgrades. It only takes six hits to build up a combat takedown. I honestly didn't find them as annoying as, say, Penguin's heavy henchmen.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I am positively bursting with spoilery easter eggs to talk about, but let me focus on one unlisted bugfix- enemies no longer attack you during the aerial attack!

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

Keeku posted:

Just finished it, enjoyed it and was lucky not to get any of the bugs being reported.

Why? I thought they were fine and added something else to watch out for in combat. They were piss easy to beat too. Treat them as an armored guy with a fancy gun. When you hear the gun power up (there's a very distinct sound), just evade a couple times. Most the time I just used beatdowns on them until I could use a takedown.

Oh you are a SAINT, here I was just about to whine about having the unlocks tied to findin' THOSE drat things.

Now I just need to figure out where the last two guards are, probably in some building I can't remember the location of.

Got lucky enough to beat it without any major bugs, it was alright and did have fun with the final fight for what that's worth.

ZoninSilver fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 23, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just finished Cold Cold Heart, luckily I experienced zero bugs and I found it an enjoyable if brief experience. I'm sure glad I didn't pay full price for it though, it's roughly the same length as Harley Quinn's Revenge though it looks like more work went into the new areas and I felt it was a stronger story (though it isn't doing anything new, it's the basic story we already knew about Freeze's origin).

Keeku posted:

Thanks, I've done everything except for three of the Anarky tags and didn't feel like hunting them all down so this is a Godsend :)

Also checking the achievements now I see I needed to do three frozen wall takedowns, whoops!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Apr 23, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Man, that was a bit shorter than I was expecting. I already 100%ed it and got all the achievements, though I did use a few guides for the tags and frozen guys.

It was a pretty nice DLC, though.

And I don't remember Ferris Boyle being THAT much of a dick in BTAS. Made me sad I couldn't do a beatdown on him.

Also glad that they kept the humanitarian line, albeit paraphrased.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

A couple nice little easter egg references in the DLC: There's an Adam West-era red phone in a case in the Wayne library. There's also the classic ballerina snowglobe on Victor's desk in his lab.

There's some stuff to like here. The general writing is still quite terrible, especially the end.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Eh, my only problem with the DLC is that the pacing is a bit too abrupt at times, a problem I didn't have with the main story of Origins.

Take the beginning for instance. Ferris is talking with Bruce, then a few seconds later Mr. Freeze bursts in and Ferris disappears into thin air.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Take the beginning for instance. Ferris is talking with Bruce, then a few seconds later Mr. Freeze bursts in and Ferris disappears into thin air.
He had been specifically taken away by Alfred to talk to the reporters! There was enough time to get him into another room.

I had to quit playing to go to work, but I successfully made into My Alibi without falling through the floor, or encountering any other bugs, so it might be time to buy some lottery tickets today. I do love the oppressive mood of the GothCorp interior--it's very Black Mesa-esque, and the big-rear end Cooling reactor looked way too much like HARDAC, but that only made it creepier.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 23, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh, right, my mistake. Well, still, there are other moments where it feels like scenes are happening too fast. I still feel like the scene where Freeze bursts in occurs too abruptly.

But yes, GothCorp is very oppressive. The music helps add to the atmosphere.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I know there is no way I will ever stop the dlc mindset, (and I haven't bought ityet, just watched videos) but this really should just be included in the game. That Blackgate game would have been an acceptable dlc, I suppose. As part of the main story, this would have dealt with Penguin too, whereas in the main story he is more or less ignored.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Oh, right, my mistake. Well, still, there are other moments where it feels like scenes are happening too fast. I still feel like the scene where Freeze bursts in occurs too abruptly.

But yes, GothCorp is very oppressive. The music helps add to the atmosphere.
I wish there was more time spent during the party. You could still cutscene explosion the place but it would've been nice (since you were already starting as Bruce Wayne) to maybe mingle a bit. I think they also cut down on the number of drill parts because it seemed like there was only a "first" and a "final" piece which makes no sense at all, considering they made a big deal about how it got broken apart, well apart from needing the fluid.

Discendo Vox posted:

I am positively bursting with spoilery easter eggs to talk about, but let me focus on one unlisted bugfix- enemies no longer attack you during the aerial attack!
I think that is a bug, unless you were doing an aerial on a shielded enemy. There aren't supposed to be invincibility frames on aerial attacks on anyone else.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I got the My Alibi bug, and I avoided it in the main game. God dammit.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
Just beat CCH. Only had a few problems when starting like Bruce Wayne not being able to attack or a thug glitching when I needed to interrogate him, but these were fixed with a reload. For the most part, I enjoyed it. The new types of thugs changed things up with combat, but they didn't wear out their welcome by being absolutely everywhere. The XE suit looked good. The final fight was neat, but with the second half of the fight, I was hoping more for than a different version of the Arkham City predator fight. I was hoping for an actual fight, rather than dropping icicles and doing takedowns while Freeze patiently waited for me to punch him. It was a fine enough story that we've pretty much heard before, but it suffered with the boss fight, just like always.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm probably 60-70% through the DLC and the new environments are nice, but I doubt I'll get every little achievement and Anarky tag. After three games, challenge maps, and DLC I'm starting to feel Arkham fatigue settle in. Arkham Knight will likely be the same quantum leap forward from City as City was from Asylum, and I really don't want to risk getting burnt out on the combat and predator sections. Even though Origins had nice touches, I definitely wouldn't put it in the same class as Asylum/City in that sense that I had to play them. Its replay value isn't nearly what Rocksteady's games are, and the size of the gameworld makes it feel tedious rather than fun sometimes.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I decided to go back and finish up the Anarky Tag and Cyrus Pinkney sidequests in vanilla Origins while waiting for a patch for CCH, and now that I have all 7 of the initial Pinkney Plaques, the Tomb refuses to load correctly, it loads the low detail model with no collision detection and I fall right through. Reloading my save, exiting and restarting the game, verifying my files on Steam, messing with graphics settings, none of them seem to fix it, so I can't enter the tomb. Any ideas?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I started playing Arkham Origins Blackgate and my first problem is the game is on rails, but is trying to have the Arkham Combat system too? This is really weird.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I do appreciate the sadism in this DLC funnelling players into My Alibi, one of the most notoriously save-ruining areas of Origins. I'd honestly have been happier going back into the drat Steel Mill after the wasted time that nightclub has eaten up and spat out.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 23, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

As a guy who has run into just about every glitch in this game, I am so grateful that by some miracle I never experienced any glitch in the My Alibi.

I did end up getting stuck inside of a building as it was rendering at the very beginning of the South Gotham part of the DLC, though. :v:

Additionally, have a look at this.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 23, 2014

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
drat it. Never fell through the floor in the main game (I was super careful about not stepping on places that weren't fully rendered), so I never knew that My Alibi was so dangerous until reading these past few posts. I decided to play a bit, got to My Alibi, took a deep breath, and walked in. Didn't fall through the floor, yes. Beat up the guys, went into the back room, almost everything goes black. I can interrogate the guy though, so I try that. I get Batman holding up nothing, talking to nothing, getting nothing in response, but I guess I did it. At this point I'm thinking this is a weird visual glitch so I try to exit, which is easier since I can see doors for some reason, but hit an invisible wall I think, so I decide to reload, see if that fixes it. That's when the game decided t let me know I was falling through the world. Assuming they put out a patch, I'd have to start over, right? Not the worst that could happen, it's not terribly long and I am enjoying it, just mildly irritating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

catlord posted:

drat it. Never fell through the floor in the main game (I was super careful about not stepping on places that weren't fully rendered), so I never knew that My Alibi was so dangerous until reading these past few posts. I decided to play a bit, got to My Alibi, took a deep breath, and walked in. Didn't fall through the floor, yes. Beat up the guys, went into the back room, almost everything goes black. I can interrogate the guy though, so I try that. I get Batman holding up nothing, talking to nothing, getting nothing in response, but I guess I did it. At this point I'm thinking this is a weird visual glitch so I try to exit, which is easier since I can see doors for some reason, but hit an invisible wall I think, so I decide to reload, see if that fixes it. That's when the game decided t let me know I was falling through the world. Assuming they put out a patch, I'd have to start over, right? Not the worst that could happen, it's not terribly long and I am enjoying it, just mildly irritating.

That's exactly what happened to me too.

• Locked thread