Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Omi-Polari posted:

Yeah I've seen cultural appropriation done badly, like the fake native headdress. That's simply poor taste. But cultural appropriation is also inevitable when different cultures communicate. As you say, there's a lot of nuance involved.

Right, well said.

And pinatas themselves are products of cultural appropriation, having apparently (by my reading) originated in China. (Though, the Aztecs may have had something similar even before the Spaniards arrived.)

Omi-Polari posted:

In the U.S. there's the Tea Party, which fuels itself on grievance and claiming that it's oppressed. But really, the Tea Party is much more interested in demanding other people recognize them as oppressed, rather than actually freeing itself from their oppression. What they consider oppression is that there's a liberal media which doesn't recognize them. Which is a fantasy. And it's extremely doubtful that if the Tea Party got what it wanted - if the liberal media (which doesn't actually exist) went away - that they would stop acting like they were oppressed.

At the same time, SJWers points to the existence of groups like the Tea Party as evidence that SJWers are oppressed, rather than recognizing that Tea Party types represent the dying gasps of some seriously unpopular politics. The SJWers can at least point to past grievances. But they still define themselves by their oppression to an unhealthy degree.

So, it's a symbiotic relationship, basically :D.

It's also another example of how extremists who represent polar opposites often have more in common with one another than with the moderates who are (in theory anyway) on their side.

SJWs and Teabaggers both like to imagine themselves as pitiful, perennially-put-upon victims, and that's why the standards they apply to others simply aren't fair to apply to them!

Related and amusing, for those who haven't seen them before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqevO_zrxsA

http://fuckyeahsocialjusticesally.tumblr.com/

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Berke Negri posted:

Cultural Appropriation is a Very Real Thing

Nope, not really.

CountButtula
Jan 5, 2014

Madmarker posted:

Ok so the question is pretty much summed up in the thread title. Over my time in SA, I spent a lot of time in GBS and over time was exposed to a lot of useful and interesting ideas regarding gender politics and race. I didn't always agree with what was presented but it definitely influenced me. However I started seeing people use the phrase SJW to deride someone who had a critique or criticism about something, like whether it portrayed women or minorities in a bad light, was culturally insensitive, whatever. Now, some of this made sense to me as this site started as a comedy website and the irreverent humor is part of the charm. However it seems that this is a widely held belief, that people who see any problem with the way something is presented are SJW's and therefore shouldn't be listened to. I just don't get it, can anyone let me in on where this opinion came from? I mean, isn't being a crusader for social justice a good thing? I mean, if its purely sarcastic dismissal for the sake of a laugh that would make sense, but that doesn't seem to usually be the case.

So, can someone tell me whats going on here? As I am incredibly confused.

Basically people need to take the piss out of racists and homophobes and trans all at the same time. It's all ironic, except it's not. God bless GBS :911:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Who wants to be full of piss anyway? Better out than in.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

icantfindaname posted:

For those interested in more SJW stories this is a pretty good compilation of the worst of the worst

http://wtfsocialjustice.tumblr.com/
http://waakzaam-entiteit.tumblr.com/ is also wonderful :allears:

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

SJW tumblrs are a literal goldmine

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Omi-Polari posted:

Yeah I've seen cultural appropriation done badly, like the fake native headdress. That's simply poor taste. But cultural appropriation is also inevitable when different cultures communicate. As you say, there's a lot of nuance involved.

This kind of makes me curious what the reaction then is to something like the Mardi Gras Indians in New Orleans. It's black people who dress in elaborate costumes inspired by Native American ceremonial wear. It's a form of cultural appropriation, but it's also been happening for so long (more than 100 years) that it has become a part of the local black culture.

If it's an oppressed minority culture appropriating from another oppressed minority culture does it then become okay or does that lead to some sort of paradox that makes everyone's head explode?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Typical tumblr warrior style would be to see one photo of it without context, hulk out over it, and then block you when you point out the context.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

this_is_hard posted:

I honestly can't take the LGBT acronym seriously because I associate the acronym with lettuce, gay, bacon, and tomato sandwiches.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Lowly posted:

This kind of makes me curious what the reaction then is to something like the Mardi Gras Indians in New Orleans. It's black people who dress in elaborate costumes inspired by Native American ceremonial wear. It's a form of cultural appropriation, but it's also been happening for so long (more than 100 years) that it has become a part of the local black culture.

If it's an oppressed minority culture appropriating from another oppressed minority culture does it then become okay or does that lead to some sort of paradox that makes everyone's head explode?

Cultural Appropriation isn't really a big deal. It really isn't.

You want to live in a diverse and open society that values different cultures and the sharing of ideas? Then you are inevitably asking everyone to discover things they like from other cultures and start using it themselves.

Outside of heinously offensive things like minstrel shows it's actually a sign of a thriving and healthy society.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Jeans were originally worn by Genoese. If you're not from Genoa you should't wear them.

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011

Pook Good Mook posted:

Cultural Appropriation isn't really a big deal. It really isn't.

You want to live in a diverse and open society that values different cultures and the sharing of ideas? Then you are inevitably asking everyone to discover things they like from other cultures and start using it themselves.

Outside of heinously offensive things like minstrel shows it's actually a sign of a thriving and healthy society.

I find some sympathy with people who see other appropriating things, but remaining ignorant about their history and origins. That's not a great thing. But I agree that it never really does that much damage. Colonialism wasn't bad because the colonizers appropriated and repurposed local traditions and cultures, it's that they steamrolled them and tried to replace them. The difference between those two things is what a lot of SJWs miss when talking about it.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

silence_kit posted:

I honestly can't take the LGBT acronym seriously because I associate the acronym with lettuce, gay, bacon, and tomato sandwiches.

The gay part must be some high-end artisanal whole-wheat bread baked at the most precious little boulangerie in The City.

I could go for a gay sandwich right about now.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
Actually, i think cultural appropriation is problematic

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

this_is_hard posted:

I would be crying if my brother said this to me too, because it would be the funniest loving thing ever.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

this_is_hard posted:

Green bacon?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Number Two Stunna posted:

Actually, i think cultural appropriation is problematic

This guy gets it.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Yoshifan823 posted:

I would be crying if my brother said this to me too, because it would be the funniest loving thing ever.

Why do you think they were crying in the first place?

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
SJW's are terrible people who have lost or never had any honest connection to their subject matter. Also they are all pedophiles.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
I have to ask an honest question here: where's the line between saying there's a problem with fatspo and body-policing? I can understand the idea that eating yourself to death is not going to help with feeling better about your body, or help with the current obesity problems going around. But surely there has to be a line between "this is not healthy" and "let's all laugh at the fatties, because they're not part of us".

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

Spark That Bled posted:

I have to ask an honest question here: where's the line between saying there's a problem with fatspo and body-policing? I can understand the idea that eating yourself to death is not going to help with feeling better about your body, or help with the current obesity problems going around. But surely there has to be a line between "this is not healthy" and "let's all laugh at the fatties, because they're not part of us".

Subtlety and context is what you mean, that is not something you will find in any online community.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

The first page's posts are a pretty good summary. Some may seem to contradict each other, like "it's just the new term for 'PC Brigade' used by reactionaries" and "it refers to tumblr people making a mockery of real social justice and smug morality police who would rather start a hashtag than go outside and volunteer", but actually both are perfectly true. It depends on the context of when and how the phrase is being used as an insult.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
In my experience, it's mostly the former. I've seen a lot on the latter, but whenever I see somebody complaining about SJW, they're not exactly socially conscious people.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

Spark That Bled posted:

In my experience, it's mostly the former. I've seen a lot on the latter, but whenever I see somebody complaining about SJW, they're not exactly socially conscious people.

Speaking anecdotally, the opposite is true for me. Maybe the local pRedditors and MRApists haven't reached that levelmof sophistication.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I've always assumed the people who get huffy about SJWs are the people who are grumpy they can't use "fag" ironically without someone thinking less of them and everyone else can filter them out.

Skeleton Jelly
Jul 1, 2011

Kids in the street drinking wine, on the sidewalk.
Saving the plans that we made, 'till its night time.
Give me your glass, its your last, you're too wasted.
Or get me one too, 'cause I'm due any tasting.

Dusseldorf posted:

I've always assumed the people who get huffy about SJWs are the people who are grumpy they can't use "fag" ironically without someone thinking less of them and everyone else can filter them out.
It's pretty much this. I mean the term originated to describe the kinda hosed up out-of-touch Tumblr circles but considering how unbelievably irrelevant these are in the grand scheme of things, the people who go on to complain about the SJWs are the equivalent of people crying about PC gone mad. You see especially trans issues dismissed as "tumblr activism" or SJWing all the time and it's loving revolting.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Dusseldorf posted:

See: this thread

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Dusseldorf posted:

I think it's pretty hosed up that you used your post as an excuse to write the word "f**"

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

dogcrash truther posted:

I think it's pretty hosed up that you used your post as an excuse to write the word "f**"

Pretty much, fatty.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

dogcrash truther posted:

It's downright problematic.

enbot
Jun 7, 2013

Dusseldorf posted:

Nah, sjw tend to be incredibly dumb and wrong about a lot things- luckily most grow up and get a real job instead of having time to :qq: 24-7 on the internet.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

enbot posted:

Nah, sjw tend to be incredibly dumb and wrong about a lot things- luckily most grow up and get a real job instead of having time to :qq: 24-7 on the internet.

a 9 page thread complaining about "social justice warriors"

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

enbot posted:

After all, it's not like anybody who has a real job is being treated unfairly or harassed by their bosses or co-workers on a very frequent basis, because of whatever race, gender or sexuality they may be.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Spark That Bled posted:

After all, it's not like anybody who has a real job is being treated unfairly or harassed by their bosses or co-workers on a very frequent basis, because of whatever race, gender or sexuality they may be.
But if they are and they decide to do something about it, that thing doesn't generally involve trolling the internet for people who are being less than perfectly sensitive to their status as a quasi-racial trans-pokemon.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Rent-A-Cop posted:

But if they are and they decide to do something about it, that thing doesn't generally involve trolling the internet for people who are being less than perfectly sensitive to their status as a quasi-racial trans-pokemon.

I have seen people write about their experiences on Tumblr, if that's what you mean by that. I've seen a couple of posts pop up that showed some serious poo poo.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
My alma mater held a demonstration on campus about suicides on college campuses: http://www.tnhonline.com/news/annual-stand-against-silence-vigil-1.3164500#.U2AhAaJn4fU

While not 100% related the comment on the story at the bottom is an absolutely blistering take-down of college "activism" that doesn't expect to be challenged on its figures.

quote:

Trigger Warning!! Speaking of the current liberal-SJW mantra "one-in-four" will experience ________ (fill in the blank......rape/mental illness/assault, etc.) on college campuses - I wonder if the New Hampshire will do a piece on just how many of the 8,000 women on campus have been raped in the last 4 years at UNH? Seems to me that the current buzz-statistic being used by "3rd Wavers" means that there should be about 2000 rapes in the last 4 years? It shouldn't be hard to go the Rape Crisis Center here and get the data on this? Oh - however, since Feminist Theory states that only 1 in 10 rapes are reported - the statistic should be 200 reported rapes, right? Hmmmmm.....that's funny......there's only been two in the last FOUR years. And in those 4 years there has been over 16,000 different women on campus! I wonder what is going on? Could they be possibly 'wrong' - like in 200X wrong?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Is this the PYF SJW thread? I liked that thread.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Kheldragar posted:

Is this the PYF SJW thread? I liked that thread.

Well, it seems that this thread has brought all the sjw to the yard.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
You motherfuckers better stop making fires and domesticating animals. MY tribe invented that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Bitter Mushroom posted:

You motherfuckers better stop making fires and domesticating animals. MY tribe invented that poo poo.

Now I'm imagining a game of Civilization where only the first player to a technology gets to use it.

• Locked thread