Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Anyone know if Dell has gotten a handle on the crashing/locking/hanging/freezing issues that are currently plaguing the current Precision refresh? I see a lot of unhappy people out there with Quadros and QHD, although unhappy FirePro and FHD aren't unheard of. Does *anyone* have a lead on where Dell is up to on fixing the line?

I've been semi-paying attention to that (apparently there's now weird screen turn-off bugs and driver updates that fix it by keeping the backlight on when the lid's closed???), and it's enough that I'd be scared back to the Thinkpad W540. Dell's keyboards also have QC issues with double-keypresses being registered. Thinkpads might have the same level of problems, them just being swallowed up by trackpad design complaints, I don't know. I guess if you specifically want AMD and not NVIDIA, that'd be a reason to automatically go with the Dell. Their other benefits are that they've got three monitor outputs without needing a dock, and you can configure Blu-Ray, and the M4800 having a nice hard drive bay swap design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

shrughes posted:

I've been semi-paying attention to that (apparently there's now weird screen turn-off bugs and driver updates that fix it by keeping the backlight on when the lid's closed???), and it's enough that I'd be scared back to the Thinkpad W540. Dell's keyboards also have QC issues with double-keypresses being registered. Thinkpads might have the same level of problems, them just being swallowed up by trackpad design complaints, I don't know. I guess if you specifically want AMD and not NVIDIA, that'd be a reason to automatically go with the Dell. Their other benefits are that they've got three monitor outputs without needing a dock, and you can configure Blu-Ray, and the M4800 having a nice hard drive bay swap design.

AMD is positively kneecapping Nvidia with how cheap the FirePros are, with performance to match. So obviously, I've got a marked interest in the M4800. Hell, it's so cheap that I can get a complete laptop for the price of what I'd *normally* spend on a discrete card for a desktop workstation.

That said, my first reaction was to flee back to the W540... except I've heard that it's no great shakes over its predecessor. Fit and finish not being what it was in years past, keyboard sticking, not as rigid as it could be around the ExpressCard and optical. And there's that worst part: Only VGA and Thunderbolt for video-out. No DVI, no DP. What the hell.

The HP ZBook wasn't exactly inspiring, and the Toshiba and Fujitsu are priced astronomically.

As much as I hate to say it... I want the Dell.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to get some steel wool and sulfuric acid to scrub myself clean.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

SwissArmyDruid posted:

And there's that worst part: Only VGA and Thunderbolt for video-out. No DVI, no DP. What the hell.

Thunderbolt is DP. You can plug in a mini-DisplayPort cable and it works.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
My work is ready to buy 10 new laptops but are having a pain in the rear end time finding some decent machines because we require Windows 7.

Does anyone have a recommendation of a reputable seller or something to buy ~10 laptops at once. Used or new is fine.

Reqs:

Windows 7 - 64 BIT is a must
Preferably i5
4gb+ ram
13-15"
500gb HD

I was thinking something like 10 thinkpads used? New ones are a bit out of our price range, but if anyone has any suggestions that could help I would really appreciate it. Budget is around $4-500 per computer.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

shrughes posted:

Thunderbolt is DP. You can plug in a mini-DisplayPort cable and it works.

Sorry, so it's mini-DP with extra sauce? (I confess ignorance. The broad majority of my devices still use DVI.)

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Just received my MYTHLOGIC 13.3" laptop. I'll give a first impressions once I get some games installed...

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Sorry, so it's mini-DP with extra sauce? (I confess ignorance. The broad majority of my devices still use DVI.)

Yep.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
DP/Thunderbolt is sexy on the Thinkpads. I have my x230 display on a 1200p monitor when at home. I can only imagine the power you could punch outta a W series.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Are the deals that pop up on woot.com ever any good? I'm starting to get in the market for a pair of mid range laptops (play stuff like Diablo 3 and StarCraft 2 on max settings) and wondering where all I should start looking for deals.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Aranan posted:

Are the deals that pop up on woot.com ever any good? I'm starting to get in the market for a pair of mid range laptops (play stuff like Diablo 3 and StarCraft 2 on max settings) and wondering where all I should start looking for deals.

They can be, but as you might imagine, the good deals are picked clean very quickly. These are refurb/remanufactured/excess inventory/debadged products, in other words, stuff that you couldn't otherwise normally sell. Remember that Woot! is owned by Amazon now, so they also serve as a last-chance clearinghouse for anything that Amazon can't get rid of on their site.

Just make sure you do your due diligence and research the laptop you're interested in first.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Aranan posted:

My roommate bought a laptop on Woot and seems pretty happy with it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Huh. I learned something today. :toot:

tech.t.rex
Jul 10, 2013

Well, installing ubuntu 14.04 and windows 7 on the ASUS N550JK is a ROYAL pain in the rear end.

The Ubuntu install was flawless. Everything installed and worked perfectly (minus the screen brightness key, for which there is a workaround).

Windows 7 was quite the adventure.

First off, the BIOS will not let you install windows 7. It will only let you install windows 8+, and for some reason that most likely involves lots and lots of money, the manufacturer (ie: asus) prevents w7 from being installed. It doesn't even make SENSE... all the chipsets on this computer run under w7 natively (or so I've read...)

However, the manufacturers aren't retarded, and realize they cannot sell laptops unless w7 runs on them, so they put in a work around -- and just didn't document it...

To do this, press F2 to get to bios (don't press the fn key... the functions keys are primary, the extra crap they do is secondary), and do the following.
- disable "secure boot"
- disable "fast boot"
- enable "CSM"
- change the boot order to DVD drive first. You can have it boot "normal" or "uefi" variants off the dvd drive.
- after you install w7, you have to change the boot order AGAIN. efin' microsoft.

And depending on if you need regular 'ol bios support, enable "PXE OpRom". If your OS supports UEFI-LMNOPSOUP, you shouldn't need PXE OpRom. Windows 7 is now happily installed. No nic drivers by default but that will wait, as I have to figure out how to encrypt the w7 + u14 installs. u14 isn't cooperating w/ it's encryption setup.

Oh.. and the hilarious part, is I forgot to plug in the laptop during this mess. 7.5 hours later I noticed.... and hot drat, it's nice having 5+ hours of battery life WHILE RUNNING, and legendary amounts of time if the os goes to sleep regularly. Since I was working throughout the day, getting the OS's to install was an on/off sort of thing.

To say the least, I'm very impressed with this laptop. Again, it doesn't have the construction quality of a macbook, and there are some very obvious changes they had to make to avoid getting sued.

If I were to buy a laptop for myself (as opposed to work paying for it), the N550JK is exactly what I would get.

e: formatting/typos

tech.t.rex fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 24, 2014

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Well doesn't all of that boil down to Windows 7 can't be installed with UEFI boot? Though all that bios stuff seems silly you should have been able to change UEFI to legacy and be about your way, I don't know much about bios settings though.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

The Dave posted:

Well doesn't all of that boil down to Windows 7 can't be installed with UEFI boot?
It is possible to install Win7 with UEFI. However, SecureBoot is Win8 only, so you do indeed have to disable that before you can downgrade from 8 to 7 (though why you'd do that these days unless you have a specific piece of software that only works on 7 is a question with no good answer). CSM, as tech.t.rex noted, also has to be enabled. This is not the manufacturer intentionally loving with you, this is simply the reality of how the technologies work.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thanks updating the OP now

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rosalind posted:

I'd get an entry-level Macbook Air but most of the work I do requires Windows and it looks like Macbooks are nearing a refresh, but no one knows quite when that will be this year.

Intel telegraphs their updated mobile lineup months in advance, typically it's a week before macworld or whatever they call it these days

If you look at the Moscone Center's schedule there's a suspicious gap in their always-booked-solid schedule from 7/11-7/26 which is generally when macworld runs. In the last 5-10 years it's either blank or listed as "Corporate Event" or something amusingly generic up until the day after Apple announces the official date for macworld. Like clockwork. And everyone is always so surprised.

Intel has the Moscone Center booked the week of 9/14 as well, but my money's on 7/11 for the joint apple-intel announcement with wide avalibility starting 9/30 or 10/1 for PC laptops

http://www.moscone.com/site/do/event/list?nav.type=0&nav.base=1404&nav.filter=1406
http://www.moscone.com/site/do/event/list?nav.type=0&nav.base=1404&nav.filter=1408

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 24, 2014

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

I come seeking your guys advice again... Girlfriend got tax refund and would like to replace her 6 year old Toshiba piece of poo poo with something that will not frustrate her to no end for the next 5 years.

She has $700~ to spend, and I suggested checking out the Lenovo site, but it looks like the T-series is no longer the $650~700 line and is now in the $800+ range. I suggested looking at the L-series, which is in the $600~700 range, but she countered that the (non-ThinkPad) Z-series seems to be offering more power for her dollar, and on paper it would seem that she's right.

I guess my question would be, if you were limited to $700 and wanted to get the most all around best, most reliable machine to last you for the next 5~ years, what would you get? Her uses are browsing, Netflix, Office, and (what I'd consider) light gaming.

Thanks in advance

Andenno
May 1, 2009

I need a Win 7 lightweight (3-5 lb) laptop for $1000-$1200 for business travel. It's for some programming, light 2D CAD. Good battery life is a plus, and it needs an ethernet port. Probably about 14" screen but that's flexible.

I see a decent option in a Dell Latitude 14 7000 series. Any other suggestions?

I don't see an ethernet port on the XPS 13. It seems new T440s notebooks are Win 8. And Asus's website is a nightmare. Bonus question: does Win 7 have any touch functionality if you get a touch screen? Is this impossible/unreasonable to look for?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Andenno posted:

It seems new T440s notebooks are Win 8.
Look closer.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Is Windows 8 that bad? I never used it before but it's funny that Thinkpad users rather pay $50 more just to NOT use Windows 8.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Is Windows 8 that bad? I never used it before but it's funny that Thinkpad users rather pay $50 more just to NOT use Windows 8.
It's fine. The $50 extra is for 8.1 Pro which comes with downgrade rights to 7 Pro. That way you still have an 8.1 license.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It takes about 5 minutes to get over the Windows 8 changes and realize it's not a big deal.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

The Dave posted:

It takes about 5 minutes to get over the Windows 8 changes and realize it's not a big deal.

It also only takes another minute to go install classic shell if you can't deal with metro. So unless you have a program that won't run in windows 8 for whatever reason, just get windows 8/8.1

tech.t.rex
Jul 10, 2013

Andenno posted:

I need a Win 7 lightweight (3-5 lb) laptop for $1000-$1200 for business travel. It's for some programming, light 2D CAD. Good battery life is a plus, and it needs an ethernet port. Probably about 14" screen but that's flexible.

I see a decent option in a Dell Latitude 14 7000 series. Any other suggestions?

I don't see an ethernet port on the XPS 13. It seems new T440s notebooks are Win 8. And Asus's website is a nightmare. Bonus question: does Win 7 have any touch functionality if you get a touch screen? Is this impossible/unreasonable to look for?

I was in the same boat, and needed something very similar to you - and the ASUS N550JK fit the bill perfectly. vista/w7 all have touch if you have a touch capable device. And so does u14 -- I just tried it, and it sure makes drag/drop easier than with the trackpad.

tech.t.rex
Jul 10, 2013

The Dave posted:

Unless you want to have everything encrypted, and realize that the only software for Windows that is not a joke and does not have a backdoor (as of right now) is TruCrypt, which won't run on w8.

e: clarification.

tech.t.rex fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 24, 2014

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Windows 8.0 is terrible, Windows 8.1 is fantastic once you get Classic Shell (free) installed

Windows 8.1.1 or whatever they're calling it supposedly has a start button stock. It looks pretty great.

This is coming from someone who spat bile every time Vista was mentioned. 8.1, especially 8.1 Pro with the Hyper-V VM server built in, is pretty great. I've been using 8.1 since last october on my desktop and it feels really polished with Classic Shell. Proper dual monitor support, tons of tiny tweaks and bits of "ah, that's nice" polish features. Metro still exists but you won't run in to it unless you go looking for it.

Also you're running on top of the Windows Server 2012 R2 kernel. So that doesn't suck.

tech.t.rex
Jul 10, 2013

Hadlock posted:

Also you're running on top of the Windows Server 2012 R2 kernel. So that doesn't suck.

That is really cool. TIL.

Up until ~6 months ago, I ran a modified version of Server 2003 (as "XP") to do the same thing. Very nice indeed that they run the server kernel now.

Andenno
May 1, 2009

Thanks for the tip. Me read bad.

Mu Zeta posted:

I agree w8 is fine, but the Rockwell software I need only offers support for w7. It looks like another option would be finding a w8.1 Pro laptop and downgrading, but I'm concerned that I'll miss some hardware compatibility issue with w7.

tech.t.rex posted:

I was in the same boat, and needed something very similar to you - and the ASUS N550JK fit the bill perfectly. vista/w7 all have touch if you have a touch capable device. And so does u14 -- I just tried it, and it sure makes drag/drop easier than with the trackpad.

I like this! I'd prefer integrated graphics but the touchscreen might be worth it. It looks like I can get one with the right OS at xoticpc.com.

Thanks for all the help!

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Andenno posted:

! I'd prefer integrated graphics but the touchscreen might be worth it. It looks like I can get one with the right OS at xoticpc.com.

Thanks for all the help!

It still has integrated graphics, it's just switchable.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

tech.t.rex posted:

That is really cool. TIL.

Up until ~6 months ago, I ran a modified version of Server 2003 (as "XP") to do the same thing. Very nice indeed that they run the server kernel now.

I don't recommend this, but apparently with some tweaking you can install various server roles on Win8.1, like file server (with file deduplication) among other things. I'm still waiting for someone to get hack NIC teaming support added back in to 8.1 (dual 1gbps to the file server for unde $100)

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 24, 2014

calhoun
Feb 8, 2004

I am the scary clown with the tearaway face
I'm looking to get this laptop http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np6658-clevo-w650sj-p-6994.html and my main concerns are its power and durability. Is it okay for playing Minecraft/Killing Floor/TF2?

As for durability... how long can I reasonably expect it to last? Assuming it will be on all day everyday. I heard that the better paste/copper wires aren't worthwhile.

I'm shopping around for someone else with a budget of $1000 and what I listed above are the only requirements I was given, and this laptop, bare except with the OS, almost fits it perfectly. Any insights into Sager and this laptop or suggestions for other laptops are appreciated.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

calhoun posted:

I'm looking to get this laptop http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np6658-clevo-w650sj-p-6994.html and my main concerns are its power and durability. Is it okay for playing Minecraft/Killing Floor/TF2?
With the 850M in there it won't even break a sweat playing those games. Hell, you could turn the dGPU off and play them on the iGPU (HD4600) and still get very playable framerates.

calhoun posted:

As for durability... how long can I reasonably expect it to last? Assuming it will be on all day everyday. I heard that the better paste/copper wires aren't worthwhile.
It's not a ThinkPad or other "durable" laptop--I wouldn't be tossing it in a backpack and taking it around town every day and expect it to last years and years. On the other hand, it should be ok if you're just leaving it sitting on a desk all the time and never take it anywhere (if you do that, pop the battery out so you don't kill it needlessly). The Xotic "copper heatsinks" are indeed a complete waste. The re-doing of the thermal paste may be worthwhile if you plan on actually using it to play something more stressful than your list of games there with any regularity--if you don't, it's wasted money since, as said, those games are a joke to modern dGPUs.

If the gaming power requirements are really as low as you're saying, you need not look at "gaming" laptops--those games can be handily played by just about any laptop with a Haswell CPU these days.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't know if this is specifically targeted at the Laptop thread, but since I have a laptop I guess it is as good a place as any:

Is there any amazing reason to run my T440s in UEFI mode rather than Legacy Bios mode? UEFI mode makes my win8 boot logo stretched for some reason, whereas when I had it in BIOS mode many moons ago it was fine. I switched to UEFI because I was too lazy to write down my OEM Win8 key and enter it myself but now I'm thinking about going back to Legacy mode.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
For Secure Boot.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

It also boots faster. Get the BIOS update utility from Lenovo and you can use whatever you want for a boot image. I changed mine to a 1x1 black pixel so there's just the win8 spinner at the bottom. You'll need to change some settings in the BIOS before it will allow you to flash the same version over it.

e: I think this is the one you need.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

shrughes posted:

For Secure Boot.

I'm not really sure whether or not this is important to me. Win8.1 should boot fine in BIOS mode, right?

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

It also boots faster. Get the BIOS update utility from Lenovo and you can use whatever you want for a boot image. I changed mine to a 1x1 black pixel so there's just the win8 spinner at the bottom. You'll need to change some settings in the BIOS before it will allow you to flash the same version over it.

e: I think this is the one you need.

Thanks for the tip. Sorry if I'm coming off a little thick, but how do I update the image? I seem to only have two options: "Update BIOS" and "change model number".

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I didn't download that one to see if it was the right one, but the one for my X240 had a text file with instructions. You make a png or bmp and name it something specific and put it in the same directory as the program. The text file explains the formats and sizes.

e: Yup it's there!
pre:
 *  NOTES ON CUSTOM START UP IMAGE                                    *
 *  THIS VERSION OF THE FLASH UPDATE PROGRAM GIVES THE OPTION OF      *
 *  REPLACING (OR ELIMINATING) THE DEFAULT "LENOVO" IMAGE THAT IS     *
 *  DISPLAYED DURING SYSTEM START UP.                                 *
 *  GUIDELINES FOR CUSTOM START UP IMAGE:                             *
 *  1. THE TWO IMAGE FILE SIZE ARE LIMITED TO 30KB.                   *
 *  2. RESOLUTION OF THE IMAGE                                        *
 *           LOGO1.* --> LESS THAN 640X480                            *
 *           LOGO2.* --> LESS THAN 1366X768(WINDOWS 7)                *
 *           LOGO2.* --> LESS THAN 1920X432(WINDOWS 8)                *
 *  3. VALID FORMATS FOR THE IMAGE ARE AS FOLLOWS:                    *
 *        BITMAP (.BMP) FILE FORMAT                                   *
 *        JPEG (.JPG) FILE FORMAT                                     *
 *        GIF (.GIF) FILE FORMAT                                      *
 *  4. LOGO2 IS DISPLAYED WHEN 'OS OPTIMIZED DEFAULTS' IS SET AS      *
 *     'ENABLED' IN SETUP MENU. OTHERWISE, LOGO1 IS DISPLAYED.        *
 *  STEPS TO ENABLE CUSTOM START UP IMAGE:                            *
 *  1. PREPARE YOUR IMAGE AND COPY IT TO THE SAME PLACE WHERE         *
 *     WINUPTP.EXE EXISTS.                                            *
 *  2. RENAME THE IMAGE AS FOLLOWS.                                   *
 *         BITMAP FILE --> LOGO1.BMP OR LOGO2.BMP                     *
 *         JPEG FILE --> LOGO1.JPG OR LOGO2.JPG                       *
 *         GIF FILE --> LOGO1.GIF OR LOGO2.GIF                        *
 *  3. RUN WINUPTP.EXE AND FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS.                       *
 *  AFTER YOU UPDATE THE BIOS ON YOUR SYSTEM, YOUR LOGO WILL          *
 *  APPEAR ON THE STARTUP SCREEN.                                     *
 *  NOTES                                                             *
 *  ENABLE CUSTOM START UP IMAGE REQUIRES .NET FRAMEWORK.             *

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 25, 2014

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ohh, great catch. I thought it was in the README file that came with the downloadble .EXE, didn't realize I had to check the extracted folder :)

Thanks!

EDit: Oh poo poo, you know what? I loaded OS optimized defaults and instead of the poo poo 320x200 bios "logo" I now have a nice crisp high res "lenovo". I'm plenty happy with that TBH so I'll just leave well enough alone :)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calhoun
Feb 8, 2004

I am the scary clown with the tearaway face

DrDork posted:

With the 850M in there it won't even break a sweat playing those games. Hell, you could turn the dGPU off and play them on the iGPU (HD4600) and still get very playable framerates.

It's not a ThinkPad or other "durable" laptop--I wouldn't be tossing it in a backpack and taking it around town every day and expect it to last years and years. On the other hand, it should be ok if you're just leaving it sitting on a desk all the time and never take it anywhere (if you do that, pop the battery out so you don't kill it needlessly). The Xotic "copper heatsinks" are indeed a complete waste. The re-doing of the thermal paste may be worthwhile if you plan on actually using it to play something more stressful than your list of games there with any regularity--if you don't, it's wasted money since, as said, those games are a joke to modern dGPUs.

If the gaming power requirements are really as low as you're saying, you need not look at "gaming" laptops--those games can be handily played by just about any laptop with a Haswell CPU these days.

Thanks for the advice, I'll check and see what she thinks. Might go with one of the laptops with a 740M card if future-proofing is not an issue for her, or would even this particular Haswell CPU laptop play Minecraft/Killing Floor/TF2 with ease?