Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Jono C posted:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/9963636/Benji-Marshall-to-return-to-NRL

Benji's on his way back to the NRL, team TBC. I thought he said he never wanted to play against the Tigers, so this sounds odd.

Think the Warriors would take the risk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Vengarr posted:

I've only seen two of these games and I'll be damned if I'm reading through the boring-rear end Wikipedia entry, so: Why do players typically just charge ahead with the ball instead of trying to create an opening through passing? Is there a limit to how many laterals/back passes you can make, or are they just worried about the possibility of a turnover?

No limit, it's just a lot easier to make metres going straight a lot of the time since you have to pass backwards. Normally you'll blast it forward for a few tackles before trying to pass it around once the defence is a bit broken up.

And yeah, the last few minutes were pretty hilarious to listen to. Not sure if I'll be getting back to sleep now.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ewar Woowar posted:

I think they would.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Ewar Woowar posted:

I don't think we've got any money left under the cap this year, so it depends on how creative a contract we can get past the auditors. After what I saw last year I wouldn't want him, and I certainly wouldn't want him blocking Lolohea's path to first grade.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Well, losing thanks to a couple of brainfarts, poor goal kicking and a dodgy penalty is still miles better than losing because we're a bunch of woeful losers without a clue how to play footy at least...

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

Para will have a good year, but they need composure.
Great atmosphere at the game, 50,000 people

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Abalone Malone posted:

Para will have a good year, but they need composure.
Great atmosphere at the game, 50,000 people

How did they get that many? The atmosphere looked awesome

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Greg Bird, a oval office? No sir, he's a model citizen.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Trainer knocking the ball out of Mansour's hand so he didn't try the restart.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Red_Museum posted:

Trainer knocking the ball out of Mansour's hand so he didn't try the restart.

And that was after Wallace almost had to tackle him.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Here is a gif of Paul Vaughans try against the storm if anyone missed the absurdity of Melbourne being opened up in the dying minutes by a prop in broken play

http://abload.de/img/vaughanyfwr3u.gif

It's amazing what props can do these days. I know I'm biased as gently caress but I can see Vaughan playing rep football.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Rabbits have signed Glenn Stewart.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Here is a gif of Paul Vaughans try against the storm if anyone missed the absurdity of Melbourne being opened up in the dying minutes by a prop in broken play

http://abload.de/img/vaughanyfwr3u.gif

It's amazing what props can do these days. I know I'm biased as gently caress but I can see Vaughan playing rep football.
That was the best try of the game easily.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

Birds a oval office
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8833308

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Jono C posted:

Greg Bird, a oval office? No sir, he's a model citizen.

I hope the NRL doesn't hide behind the "he didn't make an official complaint excuse". Bird is probably coming up with a story about how he was protecting Manu's nuts from themselves.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Abalone Malone posted:

Birds a oval office
this is not news

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Joey "BJ" "Wrecking Ball" "Something about sharing Ex-Girlfriends naked photos" Leilua has re-signed with the Knights for another 2 years. Stoked! :toot:

Oh and apparently that means the entire backline is contracted until at least the end of 2016, coooool.

bowmore fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 22, 2014

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Dirty Bird got the worm

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
turns out they have a history of grabbing each other

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

That's pretty funny, but he's basically admitting that he intentionally grabbed Manu's nuts and had been planning to do so since last year.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

Jono C posted:

That's pretty funny, but he's basically admitting that he intentionally grabbed Manu's nuts and had been planning to do so since last year.

Premeditated wheel work

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Finally watched the Eels-Tigers game. Quite a thriller, though there was some questionable tackling on the part of both teams - but it was the Eels' kicking (both goal and kickoff) that really did them in. If I liked either of those teams I would have loved to be at that stadium.

Also, once again, we see that the NRL has a much more evenly distributed talent pool compared to Super League. :sigh:

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
More evenly yes, but our talent pool is most likely larger. With unlimited third party deals clubs can have an advantage, but given the dodgy nature of some of those deals players are still keen on banking a guaranteed wage the talent still spreads eventually.

Not sure about SL but if a third party deal goes bust the club cannot compensate the player, the player is SOL, hence the reticence.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Oh interesting. Can you explain a bit what you mean by "third party deal?" I'm largely unfamiliar with the business end of signing players in League (or sports in general)

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Apollodorus posted:

Oh interesting. Can you explain a bit what you mean by "third party deal?" I'm largely unfamiliar with the business end of signing players in League (or sports in general)

Third party deals are where money is paid to a player by sources other than the club such as sponsors, local businesses or really rich fans. I thought these were supposed to come under the salary cap, but if you really wanted to hide it from the NRL it probably isn't too hard- the Roosters have made an art form out of doing this. The deal Fifita signed with Canterbury fell through partly because of problems with third party money.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Well, another reason to keep supporting the Roosters I suppose! Though their on-field performance this year has not been a good return on my download-the-games-and-get-drunk-while-watching-them-the-next-day-wearing-my-Roosters-jersey investment.

Interestingly, Wales have introduced this concept to Rugby Union by having the WRU pay Sam Warburton to not gently caress off to France for more money captain the Cardiff Blues, rather than have his salary come through the team like a normal player.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
It's also a massive disadvantage to the raiders because they are in a small city with not a lot of corporate money. Essentially it means clubs like the Broncos have unlimited salary cap. It's bullshit tbh.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Teams like the tigers are too incompetent to even keep their associated leagues clubs open to pay the bills to have two sets of books. In the interests of fairness the NRL should give smaller clubs free access to the same financial team as Melbourne.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Teams like the Broncos are punished for being in Queensland, being the delayed game into NSW almost every Friday night. This delayed game isn't watched by casual fans of the game as it doesn't start until 9:30, takes a couple of hours due to the excessive ads, and is commentated by Rae "Fuckwit" Hadlee.
They also miss out on their players getting lucrative TV appearances on the Sydney-based tv shows.
To make up for this the Broncos should be the only Friday night game played, and should probably be given an extra premiership or three.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
I cant wait for SQ Crushers Mk 2

Broncos cant throw their toys out of the cot and start a new league this time.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

MiniSune posted:

I cant wait for SQ Crushers Mk 2

Broncos cant throw their toys out of the cot and start a new league this time.

hey now, the Broncos backed PNG team is a perfectly acceptable alternative to a 2nd Brisbane team*

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/new-zealand-warriors-up-the-ante-in-chase-for-ben-teo-20140424-zqyw8.html

Te'o is on his way out of Souths after the Glenn Stewart signing, it appears he'll be going to either the Warriors or French rugby. I have no idea why we're looking to spend big on another back rower, we need centres.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Credit to the Cunts for coming up with a decent Anzac Day jersey. I wish teams would give up on the camo, you either look like cows or poo poo.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Commentators fellating Mitchell Pearce for the pass for the Minichiello try - it was of course Maloney that threw the pass. I feel like that kind of thing is how Pearce made/stays in origin teams.

edit: also, Dane Neilsen has been dropped, Ben Henry to centre Hurrell onto the bench :toot:

edit: ugh always so many dumbasses who don't 'get' the pause in the Last Post.

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Apr 25, 2014

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

edit: also, Dane Neilsen has been dropped, Ben Henry to centre Hurrell onto the bench :toot:

There may be a god.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Really good first quarter, we're really gonna poo poo the bed hard later on :(

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Oh man please be having one of those games Slater

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Bellamy blowing up there at Friend getting the call.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Red_Museum posted:

Bellamy blowing up there at Friend getting the call.

If he wanted to call it a knock on he would've had to blow a warriors penalty for the tackler lying around the play anyway.

edit: Oh man tries from Billy Slater errors are always extra delicious

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Apr 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Tompkins is completely owning Slater.

• Locked thread