Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

CapnAndy posted:

I definitely save the TTPC for the attacks on Angrir, and that's correct.

Okay!

Iron Man's attack on Angrir hits, but Cap's misses. Luckily, Black Widow's TTPC allows Cap to re-roll, and the next try puts Angrir away. Your opponent has chosen *not* to drop Angrir's hammer (the decision was made for him, however, as your opponent doesn't own the separate relic).

Black Widow gets a token for using the TTPC (her second), and Cap takes a second for making that attack on Angrir. Neither takes pushing damage, however - as both have indomitable. Iron Man pushed himself to fire at Angrir, but Black Panther gave him Willpower, so he'll also take no pushing damage.

However, those three Avengers being tied up with Angrir leaves Black Panther face-to-face with Count Nefaria, who's holding a heavy object. Both Panther and the Count each have one action token. Recall that Panther is in hindering terrain, and Jarvis is on the other end of the map.

How do you handle Nefaria? You still have two actions remaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Red posted:

How do you handle Nefaria? You still have two actions remaining.

Considering Nefaria's still on top dial, you have two options if you don't want to push Panther.

1) Keeping Nefaria tied to Panther: Outwit Nefaria's Hypersonic Speed and risk the 7 or Better to hit Black Panther. You should still have a Theme Team Probability Control usage left (and Black Panther can Prob it since he'll be clear), and Super Senses as well.

2) Minimize Potential Damage: Outwit Nefaria's Hypersonic Speed. This way, if he settles for punching Black Panther, it'll only be for 4 as opposed to 6, but he can still attempt the "Anything But A 1" Break Away Roll to use Hypersonic Speed. But since he can't pick up/hold objects, Nefaria's limited to his base 4 Damage.

This is all assuming you clear Black Panther.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Considering the small map, I'd outwit super strength, just because there's really nowhere to run.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

Considering the small map, I'd outwit super strength, just because there's really nowhere to run.

Count Nefaria drops his heavy object now that he no longer has super strength. However, this now creates hindering terrain for Nefaria. Assuming that's the end of your turn, now it's Nefaria's turn.

Your opponent decides to stand pat, clearing Count Nefaria of his action token.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Red posted:

Count Nefaria drops his heavy object now that he no longer has super strength. However, this now creates hindering terrain for Nefaria. Assuming that's the end of your turn, now it's Nefaria's turn.

Your opponent decides to stand pat, clearing Count Nefaria of his action token.
Panther outwits Nefaria's invincible and B/C/Fs him. I'll outwit Nefaria's hypersonic if Panther misses or does 1 damage, otherwise I'll just outwit his stupid special power because no other options. Everyone who isn't Panther clears.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

Panther outwits Nefaria's invincible and B/C/Fs him. I'll outwit Nefaria's hypersonic if Panther misses or does 1 damage, otherwise I'll just outwit his stupid special power because no other options. Everyone who isn't Panther clears.

You don't have to claim which you're Outwitting before a BCF roll?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Red posted:

You don't have to claim which you're Outwitting before a BCF roll?
I have two outwitters, man! Black Panther's gonna outwit the invincible, and then I'm just letting you know what Iron Man will do depending on how that goes.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

I have two outwitters, man! Black Panther's gonna outwit the invincible, and then I'm just letting you know what Iron Man will do depending on how that goes.

Oh, sure - I just wanted to confirm my belief that once you declare something, you're committed to it. :)

So Panther rolls a snake eyes, which is a critical miss. He already has one token, with his attack giving him a second. Everyone else on your team has two tokens, and don't clear until the end of the turn. So Panther takes 1 click of damage. Right?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Panther takes a click from his crit miss, but he didn't have a token -- he should have cleared last turn.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

Panther takes a click from his crit miss, but he didn't have a token -- he should have cleared last turn.

Ah, you're right - so he has one token now. But that should end your turn.

Edit: I get confused by the turn-to-turn tokens sometimes.

Red fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 22, 2014

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Red posted:

Ah, you're right - so he has one token now. But that should end your turn.

Edit: I get confused by the turn-to-turn tokens sometimes.
It does end the turn, and everyone who isn't Panther on my team clears.

What some people do is they use two different kinds of tokens (either different colored markers, or different poker chips, or whatever), alternating from turn to turn. That way you can look at your force and know "okay, I was handing out white tokens this turn and these dudes have blue ones, so they clear now".

Red
Apr 15, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

It does end the turn, and everyone who isn't Panther on my team clears.

What some people do is they use two different kinds of tokens (either different colored markers, or different poker chips, or whatever), alternating from turn to turn. That way you can look at your force and know "okay, I was handing out white tokens this turn and these dudes have blue ones, so they clear now".

That probably makes more sense than what I do now - a white token for the first action, and a red one for the second.

So, for Nefaria, his Super-Strength and Hypersonic Speed are both outwitted. He's still on his first click, so his 10 attack against Black Panther's 17 defense (+1 to 18 for hindering terrain) requires a lucky roll. Nefaria gets an 8.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Red posted:

So, for Nefaria, his Super-Strength and Hypersonic Speed are both outwitted. He's still on his first click, so his 10 attack against Black Panther's 17 defense (+1 to 18 for hindering terrain) requires a lucky roll. Nefaria gets an 8.
Close combat doesn't get the +1 for hindering, he just needed to hit a 17. Have Panther roll his super senses.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

Close combat doesn't get the +1 for hindering, he just needed to hit a 17. Have Panther roll his super senses.

Four!

Edit: Good lord. How is Black Panther only 100 points?

Edit2: CapnAndy, just wanted to give you a chance to use TTPC or something else.

Red fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 23, 2014

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

He's not really that hard to hit (barring Stealth) and he's fairly squishy.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

This weekend some friends and I are getting together for a 6 player 1500 point battle and I'd like to make the most annoying, stagnating team I possibly can. To that end I'm trying to come up with all the figures that nullify or otherwise shutdown powers and abilities such that what will already be an unpleasant, entirely too long game becomes a grueling hateful quagmire of misery for everybody that isn't me. Due to the fact that there will be several maps put together and probably colossals and team bases, I'm looking more for blanket effects than short range shutdowns like Unspoken or Harry Leland. Here's what I've got so far:

Kid Zoom
Agent 13
White Witch
Mongul
Sauron (his Epic will prevent 8 figures from using move/power actions)
AvX Scarlet Witch
AvX Professor X (more of a deterrent against getting too close to my team)
GG Thanos

I'm also looking to fill the ranks with figures that are just annoying as hell in a multiplayer game:
Ancient One
WS Maria Hill
WS Widow
LE Mephisto
ASM Nightmare (guaranteed optimal starting zone)

Any other suggestions for either category? Clearly I won't be able to use everybody but I want to squeeze as many onto one team as I can. I also plan to have a minor pit crew with Bunker and a SIF, and LE Nigma to keep Sauron using his epic every turn.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I played a five person draft and used Shaman to take everyone's flying. They hated me. You can probably squeeze him on.

Edit: I also think it would be really fun to use Agent 13 with shatterstar and just gently caress up a big group of melee.

Fritzler fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 23, 2014

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Red posted:

- The venue I went to is doing a 3000-point game. 10 actions max per turn, and lots of small characters are discouraged, with vehicles/colossals/team bases/inflated point characters encouraged. No feats or BFCs.

The only figures I have, that I can think of, are the Mark 2 GSX Sentinel, a GSX Frost Giant, a BM GCPD Cruiser, and TDW Malekith at 350. I might have some random clix that come in at 250-300, but ... yeah. They'll let you borrow from the judge if need be (he has an enormous collection), but I was curious if there are some cheap but points-loaded singles I can just go buy.

So while I wait for CapnAndy to wake up or come home from work or whatnot, here's what I came up with - and it adds up to 2999. Is it a hot mess, or... ?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Red posted:

Four!

Edit: Good lord. How is Black Panther only 100 points?

Edit2: CapnAndy, just wanted to give you a chance to use TTPC or something else.
Nah, take the hit. It's okay.

On my next turn, Iron Man will outwit Nefaria's invincible and then shoot him, then Black Widow will Mighty Stingers him, then Cap will shoot him.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Sanschel posted:

This weekend some friends and I are getting together for a 6 player 1500 point battle and I'd like to make the most annoying, stagnating team I possibly can. To that end I'm trying to come up with all the figures that nullify or otherwise shutdown powers and abilities such that what will already be an unpleasant, entirely too long game becomes a grueling hateful quagmire of misery for everybody that isn't me. Due to the fact that there will be several maps put together and probably colossals and team bases, I'm looking more for blanket effects than short range shutdowns like Unspoken or Harry Leland. Here's what I've got so far:

Kid Zoom
Agent 13
White Witch
Mongul
Sauron (his Epic will prevent 8 figures from using move/power actions)
AvX Scarlet Witch
AvX Professor X (more of a deterrent against getting too close to my team)
GG Thanos

I'm also looking to fill the ranks with figures that are just annoying as hell in a multiplayer game:
Ancient One
WS Maria Hill
WS Widow
LE Mephisto
ASM Nightmare (guaranteed optimal starting zone)

Any other suggestions for either category? Clearly I won't be able to use everybody but I want to squeeze as many onto one team as I can. I also plan to have a minor pit crew with Bunker and a SIF, and LE Nigma to keep Sauron using his epic every turn.

What about Science Police Officers? They have a range to them, but 8 squares is a lot.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

What about Science Police Officers? They have a range to them, but 8 squares is a lot.
Yeah, especially with Professor X. Anyone wants to do anything anywhere near you? Watch them click to death and laugh mockingly.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Sanschel posted:

For power screwing - any of the Trinity of Sin.

For token screwing - Sin & Crossbones, FotR Boromir

For more general dickery - Arwen, DC75 Ares, Unspoken

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Oooh, bring Highfather. Watch all the colossals suddenly unable be unable to attack each other.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

Nah, take the hit. It's okay.

On my next turn, Iron Man will outwit Nefaria's invincible and then shoot him, then Black Widow will Mighty Stingers him, then Cap will shoot him.

So Nefaria's attack does 4 clicks of damage to Panther, and really, that's about all the Count can do.

Your turn!

- Panther is on his last click, and has no option for the leadership roll, nor can he award other characters bonus abilities.
- Iron Man Outwits Nefaria's Invincibility. A roll of 7 ensures the attack hits - even though Nefaria had the heavy object as hindering terrain. 4 clicks of damage, cut in half by invincibility.
- Black Widow has to Charge to use Mighty Stingers. An attack roll gets 7, which misses by 1 because of the heavy object's hindering terrain quality. I'll assume you'd want to use TTPC to allow her 11 attack to nail a 18 (+1) defense?

Right so far?

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

The Hunter

Red posted:

ility. A roll of 7 ensures the attack hits - even though Nefaria had the heavy object as hindering terrain. 4 clicks of damage, cut in half by invincibility.
- Black Widow has to Charge to use Mighty Stingers. An attack roll gets 7, which misses by 1 because of the heavy object's hindering terrain quality. I'll assume you'd want to use TTPC to allow her 11 attack to nail a 18 (+1) defense?

Right so far?

Wrong.

Characters DO NOT get the +1 Defense Hindering Bonus when being targted with a Close Combat Attack. The Hindering Bonus only applies to Ranged Attacks. The Hindering Bonus is also ignored if the Ranged Attacker ignores Hindering Terrain when drawing Lines of Fire. Either through Team Abilities that ignore Hindering (Superman Ally, Ultimates, Avengers Initiative), a Special Power or Trait, or Improved Targeting: Hindering Terrain.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Red posted:

So Nefaria's attack does 4 clicks of damage to Panther, and really, that's about all the Count can do.

Your turn!

- Panther is on his last click, and has no option for the leadership roll, nor can he award other characters bonus abilities.
- Iron Man Outwits Nefaria's Invincibility. A roll of 7 ensures the attack hits - even though Nefaria had the heavy object as hindering terrain. 4 clicks of damage, cut in half by invincibility.

Right so far?

if the invincible is outwitted how is it reducing damage

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Red posted:

Right so far?
Wrong three times.

- Black Panther's ability to award willpower is a trait. He always has it as long as he's not KO'd, even though it won't actually come into play this turn.
- Nefaria's invincible does not cut the damage dealt by Iron Man in half, as it was outwitted before the attack.
- Hindering terrain grants no defensive bonus against close combat attacks.

Nefaria is on click 5 and Widow's attack just hit him and gets to roll for her blades/claws/fangs now.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I AM THE MOON posted:

if the invincible is outwitted how is it reducing damage

gently caress me, that's why.

CapnAndy posted:

Wrong three times.

- Black Panther's ability to award willpower is a trait. He always has it as long as he's not KO'd, even though it won't actually come into play this turn.
- Nefaria's invincible does not cut the damage dealt by Iron Man in half, as it was outwitted before the attack.
- Hindering terrain grants no defensive bonus against close combat attacks.

Nefaria is on click 5 and Widow's attack just hit him and gets to roll for her blades/claws/fangs now.

1. Oh, interesting, I thought he lost the ability after the white box for the damage number went away.
2. You're right, I forgot! So that knocks him down a bit.
3. Good to know!

So Widow's BCF roll gets a 5. But now Nefaria has Invulnerability - so does that escape Iron Man's Outwit?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Red posted:

1. Oh, interesting, I thought he lost the ability after the white box for the damage number went away.
Go back and look at Black Panther's card. It specifically says what the white box for his damage does and what his trait does.

This is exactly the sort of thing you need to get down pat; what powers your characers have at any given time are crucially important. One of the reasons trait-granted abilities are so good is because you always have them.

And yes, Nefaria has his invulnerable. Nobody's done anything to make him not have invulnerable, so he has it.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Red posted:

So Widow's BCF roll gets a 5. But now Nefaria has Invulnerability - so does that escape Iron Man's Outwit?

No, that's his Outwit/Empower/Leadership Special, not his Willpower granting.

And yes, Invulnerable is not Outwitted. You don't outwit a slot, you Outwit a power (or a Combat Ability), and only that chosen power (or Combat Ability) is outwitted until your next turn (or Outwit is lost).

Example: You outwit Invincible. You hit the character for 3 damage. The dial is clicked three times, over two clicks of Invulnerable and onto another click of Invincible. The Invincible is still countered, regardless of other defense powers showing up between the first click and the fourth. Now let's say the same thing happened, but you hit for 2 damage. This puts them on Invulnerable. You then attack with someone, and only deal 1 damage through the Invul. This puts them on that next Invincible click, and as before, it's still outwitted.

The only difference here, is that even if Nefaria was hit onto another Invinvible click, it would not be countered if he had that Damage Special on the same click since it grants Willpower, but also makes it so that his OTHER powers can't be countered. So if you wanted to counter one of his other powers, you'd have to Outwit that one first.

(Welp. Being beaten this badly is what I get for always wanting to type up examples. :v:)

Volfogg fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 23, 2014

Red
Apr 15, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

Go back and look at Black Panther's card. It specifically says what the white box for his damage does and what his trait does.

This is exactly the sort of thing you need to get down pat; what powers your characers have at any given time are crucially important. One of the reasons trait-granted abilities are so good is because you always have them.

And yes, Nefaria has his invulnerable. Nobody's done anything to make him not have invulnerable, so he has it.

Ah!

So Nefaria takes 3 clicks of damage, and now has an action token.

Now Cap gets a turn, and rolls with his 10 attack versus Nefaria's 17 (+1) defense. A roll of 9 means Nefaria takes 3 clicks of damage, minus 2 for Invulnerable. According to Cap's special ability, he gets another free attack with 2 as the locked damage. A roll of 8 ensures it hits for 2 clicks, and Nefaria is on his last click.

Edit: gently caress, forgot the Invulnerability again.

Red fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 23, 2014

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Red posted:

Ah!

So Nefaria takes 3 clicks of damage, and now has an action token.

Now Cap gets a turn, and rolls with his 10 attack versus Nefaria's 17 (+1) defense. A roll of 9 means Nefaria takes 3 clicks of damage. According to Cap's special ability, he gets another free attack with 2 as the locked damage. A roll of 8 ensures it hits for 2 clicks, and Nefaria goes down like a ton of clix.

Is that all correct?
Why did Nefaria's invulnerable suddenly stop protecting him when Cap attacked?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Because you replied sooner than I realized my mistake.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Red posted:

Now Cap gets a turn, and rolls with his 10 attack versus Nefaria's 17 (+1) defense. A roll of 9 means Nefaria takes 3 clicks of damage. According to Cap's special ability, he gets another free attack with 2 as the locked damage. A roll of 8 ensures it hits for 2 clicks, and Nefaria goes down like a ton of clix.

Is that all correct?

Wrong again. This time, with Cap's 2nd Attack. Here's the Special that grants that ability.

I'M PRETTY GOOD WITH THE SHIELD posted:

When Captain America makes a ranged combat attack and hits, after actions resolve, he may make a second ranged attack with a locked damage value of 2 as a free action. When he does, he draws lines of fire and counts range from the hit character's square.

You can't shoot the square "you" occupy. So since you're drawing a Line of Fire from Nefaria's square, you can't hit him again.

That is, unless I'm somehow wrong.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Volfogg posted:

Wrong again. This time, with Cap's 2nd Attack. Here's the Special that grants that ability.

You can't shoot the square "you" occupy. So since you're drawing a Line of Fire from Nefaria's square, you can't hit him again.

That is, unless I'm somehow wrong.

You are wrong.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I AM THE MOON posted:

You are wrong.

Obviously, I'm the last person here who's going to know the right answer, but I'm picturing this ability as Cap nailing another hit with his shield on a rebound bounce - so there are very strict parameters by which it hits.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=501875

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

I AM THE MOON posted:

You are wrong.

Huh. Oh well, can't always be right. :v:

But yeah, I always thought you couldn't shoot the square you "occupy", but, then again, you still technically draw a line of fire to yourself when you use Perplex on yourself. So, yeah, I see how you could still hit the same character with Cap's second attack. After all, you are just drawing a Line of Fire to " yourself" with the exception being that it's not you, but an opposing character.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Red posted:

Because you replied sooner than I realized my mistake.
Fair enough. So Nefaria's on click 9 and it's his turn now, I'm curious to see what you think he should do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

So are we on the same page - Andy's turn ends with Nefaria down to his final click?

• Locked thread