Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Can you really get good bass out of headphones? I mean you really need to feel bass all over, I would think only a subwoofer could really provide that feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Depends on what you want, but no headphones will ever really make you believe you're in the game.

powderific posted:

If Illegal Carrot wants to have really satisfying bass in explosions and whatnot I don't think it makes much sense to push towards cans that have neutral/weakish bass. I really like the overall sound from my Etymotic HF3's and AKG Q701's despite their similar bass shy reputations, but they might be really disappointing to someone who's specifically looking for a strong bottom end.

Who's pushing?

BurritoJustice posted:

M50's certainly have their flaws, but goddamn they are enjoyable in my opinion. The sound staging is not great compared to others in their bracket, and the heavily closed sound is not for everyone. But they have excellent and plentiful bass, and the isolation is fantastic in my opinion. So YMMV, read reviews and if possible try and find some to listen to.

Those could be fun. "Sound staging" isn't really a thing headphones do-mostly it's the source that alters the signal for the headphones, but it's only so effective based on a set of parameters determined by the electrical properties of the headphones. Any Dolby thing/sound card should be more than enough to handle that, though.

Carrot- you may enjoy Beyerdynamic DT 770 cans. They emphasize bass strongly without boosting sibilance. You might be able to find them in your price range given how old they are, and they use velour padding. Less clamping force than the M50, but also bigger.

Royality
Jun 27, 2006
I know nothing about headphones and there are so many different models. Help would be amaaazing. :)

Budget: Preferably around £150 ($240) but could stretch higher or even reduce price if it wasn't worth the extra etc. I want the best 'quality of sound' to price to longevity ratio I suppose (don't we all!).
Source: My macbook pro primarily. Also my electric piano/tv and iphone sometimes.
Isolation Requirements: Would be nice, but not necessarily a priority.
Preferred Type of Headphone: Over-ear ones.
Preferred Tonal Balance: No real preference. I don't really understand what tonal balance means!
Past Headphones: Um.... cheap lovely ones for as long as I can remember. Anything would be an upgrade!
Preferred Music: I listen mostly to boring indy and pop.

I have so far looked at Sennheiser HD558s. I was tempted to fork out for Sennheiser HD 650s but not sure if my untrained ears would appreciate them!

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Royality posted:

I know nothing about headphones and there are so many different models. Help would be amaaazing. :)

Budget: Preferably around £150 ($240) but could stretch higher or even reduce price if it wasn't worth the extra etc. I want the best 'quality of sound' to price to longevity ratio I suppose (don't we all!).
Source: My macbook pro primarily. Also my electric piano/tv and iphone sometimes.
Isolation Requirements: Would be nice, but not necessarily a priority.
Preferred Type of Headphone: Over-ear ones.
Preferred Tonal Balance: No real preference. I don't really understand what tonal balance means!
Past Headphones: Um.... cheap lovely ones for as long as I can remember. Anything would be an upgrade!
Preferred Music: I listen mostly to boring indy and pop.

I have so far looked at Sennheiser HD558s. I was tempted to fork out for Sennheiser HD 650s but not sure if my untrained ears would appreciate them!

I wouldn't worry so much about having "untrained" ears. That said, you probably don't want to spend that much to begin with.

The 558s are great headphones, but if you want more options, the audio technica ath-ad700x are about that price, along with the beyerdynamic custom one pro (has four swappable sounds), beyerdynamic DT 990 pros are about that price, V-moda crossfade LP 2 (tough to damage), BRAINWAVZ HM5 if you err towards utility over aesthetics....

There are a lot of options.

As per the "tonal balance" thing, it's a term used for people to equate to frequency response: the overall emphasis of each frequency output by the headphones for a given power (or volume). So really, all that asks is whether you like bassy headphones, headphones that don't emphasize any notes over others, etc. Most consumer headphones shoot what's called an equal loudness contour (ISO standard 226:2003) which tries to mimic what must people perceive as all sounds having equal loudness. However, that means bass is boosted, as well as sibilant sounds like cymbals.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

notZaar posted:

Can you really get good bass out of headphones? I mean you really need to feel bass all over, I would think only a subwoofer could really provide that feeling.

My ATH-AD2000X's have some pretty serious bass. I thought my 900's did until I got these. Then again, I thought my 700's were adequate until I got my 900's. Then I got a Dayton 1600 watt 4ohm sub for my car and felt the true fury of the brown note. My household has all three headphones still, with the 900's as my girlfriend's and the 700's for piano duty, but I still don't find any of them inadequate or lacking for their purpose and price range.

Psychoacoustics/prolonged listening will definitely aid headphones no matter what you get, but to want varied listening, I think that the best bet is a headphone with a flat response. Audio Technica and AKG are on the money for these from what I've heard.

Royality
Jun 27, 2006

WugLyfe posted:

I wouldn't worry so much about having "untrained" ears. That said, you probably don't want to spend that much to begin with.

The 558s are great headphones, but if you want more options, the audio technica ath-ad700x are about that price, along with the beyerdynamic custom one pro (has four swappable sounds), beyerdynamic DT 990 pros are about that price, V-moda crossfade LP 2 (tough to damage), BRAINWAVZ HM5 if you err towards utility over aesthetics....

There are a lot of options.

As per the "tonal balance" thing, it's a term used for people to equate to frequency response: the overall emphasis of each frequency output by the headphones for a given power (or volume). So really, all that asks is whether you like bassy headphones, headphones that don't emphasize any notes over others, etc. Most consumer headphones shoot what's called an equal loudness contour (ISO standard 226:2003) which tries to mimic what must people perceive as all sounds having equal loudness. However, that means bass is boosted, as well as sibilant sounds like cymbals.

Which pair would you choose out of interest?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Royality posted:

Which pair would you choose out of interest?

With your parameters probably the closed back headphones if you want to take them outside with you.

Custom one pros are fun if only for their ability to change the way they sound whenever you want them to. They have a removable cable, but one of the sound options underemphasizes the highest note on an 88 key piano. Tough to kill. Will work with iPhone, but no stock microphone.

The v-modas are tailored to be that consumer sound I talked about, so good for pop/jazz/rock. Virtually indestructible, comes with microphone. Less good for the piano.

The BRAINWAVZ have a very "flat" sound, but are durable, and the least expensive of the three. Would be great for your piano, a bit less so for the iphone, but still more than fine. No microphone.

I'd say the custom one pros are close to what you've described, but if you need a microphone you can grab the cable of the LP 2 from vmoda and it will work. It's a good idea anyway- the drat thing is wrapped in a Kevlar weave.

Sorry for the novella-just giving you the best picture I can.

Royality
Jun 27, 2006
Cheers WugLyfe, I really appreciate the advice. Going to go and listen to some of the pairs in a hifi shop at the next opportunity!

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have thoughts on 'gaming' headsets? I use a pair of HD 558's right now and was looking for a new pair around that same quality or better, preferably. I need a mic/5.1 combo that works with both PS4 and PC, and that seems to complicate things which is why I think a gaming headset is the best option for me.

TRITTON Pro+ 5.1 these were recommended to me by the guy at my local Gamestop(lol right??? but he seemed pretty knowledgeable and passionate about headphones and these look decent). Also a seperate mic was recommend by the pc accessories thread but that won't work on my HD 558's because they have a twist-to-lock 3.5 jack on them. So I'd have to buy a new pair of headphones anyways.

Basically I'm trying to get the best of both worlds, 5.1 with mic and high quality sound to rival my existing mid-range headphones, and have no issues spending 200-300 bux on em.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this question, but will this cable actually make a difference for my ES3X or is it bullshit?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pudgygiant posted:

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this question, but will this cable actually make a difference for my ES3X or is it bullshit?

That depends. If I send you some "special" quartz crystals to tape to the cord, will you give me $200?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

KillHour posted:

That depends. If I send you some "special" quartz crystals to tape to the cord, will you give me $200?

Holy poo poo, why isn't this a thing yet? BRB buying a Bedazzler for enhancing sound quality!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Midorka posted:

Holy poo poo, why isn't this a thing yet? BRB buying a Bedazzler for enhancing sound quality!

It is. :downs:

http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina31.htm

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Yeah but someone has to streamline it! I could make literally hundred of dollars.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

To be fair the stock cable is incredibly flimsy, and everything JHA I've tried in the past has been superb so I wouldn't think they'd be selling snake oil.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pudgygiant posted:

To be fair the stock cable is incredibly flimsy, and everything JHA I've tried in the past has been superb so I wouldn't think they'd be selling snake oil.

It's a $200 headphone cable.

If the cable it came with is crap, get this:

http://fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000042938762&MenuID=105026014

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-RC-WT1-re-cable-Westone-Earphones/dp/B00D6DOYEQ

a cat youtube
Jun 25, 2013
I ended up leaving my old and beaten down pair of headphones In a friends car , and I won't be able to get em back for a few weeks ( they aren't worth the shipping cost).

I've been meaning to upgrade since around Christmas this year so , hey, taking it as a sign to get new headphones.

I'm looking for closed headphones , either over the ear or on the ear for less than 100 ( around 50-75 would be great) .
They'd mostly be used for traveling and on the bus etc. so I'm not looking to spend over 100 really. I mostly listen to rap, and punk/metal / noise , I dunno if that would affect what Im looking for. Would anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

I didn't mean the cable it came with is crap so I'm going to spend $200 on a new one, I meant the cable it came with is crap, I'm going to buy something reasonable, I saw this $200 cable, how much horseshit is it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Pudgygiant posted:

I didn't mean the cable it came with is crap so I'm going to spend $200 on a new one, I meant the cable it came with is crap, I'm going to buy something reasonable, I saw this $200 cable, how much horseshit is it.
Take 100% horseshit.

Then add more.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Pudgygiant posted:

I own a mountain in Florida I can sell you where the acoustics are absolutely amazing. Even your headset will sound better. PM me for details. (Don't do it. This is one step short of a complete scam.)

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Hey, at least they asked about it before feeding the Audiophoolery BS machine. It was a smart move.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pudgygiant posted:

They think that because you spent 800+ on a pair of IEMs, you won't think twice about dropping 200 on a cable. I'm sure it's a fine cable, but you won't notice any improvement in sound. So it's less snake oil and more like adding flame decals to your car. I'd say get the Fiio cable if you want a sturdier one.

a cat youtube
Jun 25, 2013

a cat youtube posted:

I ended up leaving my old and beaten down pair of headphones In a friends car , and I won't be able to get em back for a few weeks ( they aren't worth the shipping cost).

I've been meaning to upgrade since around Christmas this year so , hey, taking it as a sign to get new headphones.

I'm looking for closed headphones , either over the ear or on the ear for less than 100 ( around 50-75 would be great) .
They'd mostly be used for traveling and on the bus etc. so I'm not looking to spend over 100 really. I mostly listen to rap, and punk/metal / noise , I dunno if that would affect what Im looking for. Would anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

Rewrote this with the postin guidelines

Budget: 50 - 100$ , looking mostly around 75ish
Source: almost solely iphone/ iPod. Sometimes record player but usually speakers for that
Isolation Requirements: Kinda a priority, generally will be used on the bus or on campus
Preferred Type of Headphone: on the ears or over ears
Preferred Tonal Balance: bass heavier? I don't really know
Past Headphones: a pair of over ear panasonics , fairly old they were alright
Preferred Music: Everything but mostly punk and rap

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Midorka posted:

Perhaps the Sennheiser Momentum over ear?

Saw these too on that Inner Fidelity site, but he said the NAD VISO HP50 beats them on everything. I think I'll have to decide between those and the V-Moda Crossfade M-100s.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

a cat youtube posted:

Rewrote this with the postin guidelines

Budget: 50 - 100$ , looking mostly around 75ish
Source: almost solely iphone/ iPod. Sometimes record player but usually speakers for that
Isolation Requirements: Kinda a priority, generally will be used on the bus or on campus
Preferred Type of Headphone: on the ears or over ears
Preferred Tonal Balance: bass heavier? I don't really know
Past Headphones: a pair of over ear panasonics , fairly old they were alright
Preferred Music: Everything but mostly punk and rap

Not bass monsters, but these seem to be about as good as you're going to get for under $100 and closed.
http://www.amazon.com/NVX-Over-Ear-Headphones-ComfortMax-Cushions/dp/B0093PVTPS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0MB3JBTSKTPBTH8JHBZR

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
So I just pout in an order for an AD-900X, which seems to be what I'm looking for. Thanks, headphone megathread!

How long can I expect these to last me?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Illegal Carrot posted:

So I just pout in an order for an AD-900X, which seems to be what I'm looking for. Thanks, headphone megathread!

How long can I expect these to last me?

Until they break. Those type of headphones aren't going to get much abuse. The pads will eventually wear, those will need to be replaced in 2-5 years, but that's about it. Treat them nice and they'll drat near last forever.

Neroy
Jan 14, 2012

Art is but a Virtue
It keeps my walking in this cold cruel world
My experience with the Monster Turbine copper headphones has been really good.have had then for about 5 years now and they still sound as good as ever.
Ive put then through daily use, theyve gotten Wet, snow got all over them,ive dropped them but they still are Perfect.
They will wear off in Terms of looking good but these are the beat headphones ive ever had and very durable.
The sound of course goes without saying is amazingly clean.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I have a pair of Sony MDR-7506's that I bought in 2001 (not a typo) and they spent a couple years sitting in a drawer. I replaced the ear pads with the Beyerdynamic velour ear pads and they still sound AMAZING. Anybody who has the pleather flaking off should invest the $20, it makes them much more comfortable.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

The Zapper would approve. Velour is often a good choice if you wear glasses too, fwiw.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

WugLyfe posted:

The Zapper would approve. Velour is often a good choice if you wear glasses too, fwiw.

Contacts are a good choice if you wear glasses.

I went on a huge headphone-buying spree after I finally ditched the frames.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Just got some Sennheiser 650s. Holy poo poo this are amazing. I wasn't going to expect much of a difference moving from some 598s. Reviews are spot on when they say they are "easy to listen to." I wasn't exactly sure what they meant until I noticed that ear fatigue wasn't as big of an issue with the 598. The extra bass with the 650 is what the 598 was lacking, but not overkill in the slightest, I'd still call it tame though, but still very nice. Very glad I got these.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Just got some Sennheiser 650s. Holy poo poo this are amazing. I wasn't going to expect much of a difference moving from some 598s. Reviews are spot on when they say they are "easy to listen to." I wasn't exactly sure what they meant until I noticed that ear fatigue wasn't as big of an issue with the 598. The extra bass with the 650 is what the 598 was lacking, but not overkill in the slightest, I'd still call it tame though, but still very nice. Very glad I got these.
:hfive: I replaced my 580's with 650's and it's the best decision I've ever made wrt headphones, not because there's a huge difference but because the 650's are exactly and everything I want in a full-size headphone.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

BurritoJustice posted:

Hey guys, I am in need of some new IEMs for my daily commute. I have been using the stock IEMs that came with my Galaxy Nexus for the past two years or so, and they are on their last legs.
Budget About 100AUD. Super flexible budget, can be way higher if necessary.
Source My Galaxy Nexus. I have a Magni at home but these won't be ever used for anything other than my commute.
Isolation Requirements As much as possible really. Three hours daily on a loud bus, I'd love to be able to block that out without going deaf.
Preferred Type of Headphone IEMs. I wish I could use circumaural headphones but they are too large to be practical.
Preferred Tonal Balance No real preference. I don't like stuff lacking in bass.
Past Headphones AD900x that I use at home. I love the soundstaging and clarity, these are my main phones and I adore them. M50's that I got for use on the bus, but I don't take anymore due to their size etc. I love the bass on these compared to the 900x, and the isolation is fantastic. The closer and somewhat smeared soundstage is not great but I still love them for electronic music.
Preferred Music Pretty much everything, hence why I don't have a particular balance preference as I don't favour particular genres. Rock, alternative, electro, classical primarily.

Comfortable is also a plus as they'll be used for extended periods.

Thanks for your help :D

Thought I'd have another go at this, if anyone had any suggestions.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Any recommendations for headphone stands that aren't $50 and don't have BRAINWAVZ in gigantic block letters?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

BurritoJustice posted:

Thought I'd have another go at this, if anyone had any suggestions.

These are better than the price would make you think.
http://www.amazon.com/Dynamic-Noise...8333663&sr=1-11

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Any recommendations for headphone stands that aren't $50 and don't have BRAINWAVZ in gigantic block letters?
http://www.amazon.com/Spectrum-42978-Banana-Holder-Nickel/dp/B000G66N2M/

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Edit: ^^ drat you!

Centzon Totochtin posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Culinary-Elem...s=banana+hanger

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Also looking for a nice stand for my he400s. Can anyone recommend something nice that isn't a banana holder?

looking at something like the Woo stands, anyone have those?
http://wooaudio.com/products/wahps.html

or

http://wooaudio.com/products/wahps2.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bonobos posted:

Also looking for a nice stand for my he400s. Can anyone recommend something nice that isn't a banana holder?

looking at something like the Woo stands, anyone have those?
http://wooaudio.com/products/wahps.html

or

http://wooaudio.com/products/wahps2.html

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/spectrum-trade-euro-trade-mug-tree/1013696578?_requestid=345