Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It's really magnificent that they've released a product with a game-breaking bug, not fixed the bug, and then released a paid DLC that they know produces the exact same error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Anyone with the falling bug, just grab a trainer or something and use the teleportation cheat. Saved my playthrough from being completely wasted.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Anyone with the falling bug, just grab a trainer or something and use the teleportation cheat. Saved my playthrough from being completely wasted.

That shouldn't be the solution to the loving problem.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Fargin Icehole posted:

That shouldn't be the solution to the loving problem.

It goes without saying. The guy was only trying to help.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

BleedingCool.com had people at the DC: All Access panel at WonderCon and is claiming that Arkham Knight is delayed until 2015. Every other website in the world is picking up on it and claiming it as fact.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/04/18/getting-dc-all-access-at-wondercon-from-jim-lee-to-shelly-bond/

quote:

The audience was also shown a trailer for the next Arkham game, featuring the voiceover by Thomas Wayne of his “last will and testament” . He asks that Bruce “honors the Wayne family legacy” and urges him to “commit yourself to the improvement of gotham city”. There were some humorous moments, like when Thomas advises Bruce“do not be frivolous”, and don’t waste money on “fast cars”, and a destructive lifestyle while images of the Batmobile and car chases were being shown. The trailer featured a prominent role for Two-Face and plenty of car chase scenes, ending in a fiery exploding bat symbol. This is no longer as 2014 project, they reminded the audience, but a 2015 project.

However, ComicBookResources.com was also there. They say it's coming in 2014.

quote:

The panel then played a second video game trailer for the new Batman game, “Batman: Arkham Knight,” the trailer featuring a voiceover with Thomas Wayne asking his son to look after Gotham over images of gameplay as Batman faces Two-Face and his gas-masked goons.

Cunningham said the game will come out later this year, before speaking about the “return of Injustice” to cheers and applause.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=52252

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Arkham Knight is currently the only confirmed game for which I'd buy a PS4, so if this is true I guess I'll be holding off for a while longer. :smith:

Back to Origins, I was wandering around South Gotham in the post-game looking for the Pinkney plaques and found what has to be the world's shortest and most pointless railway line, which runs east-west from nowhere to nowhere for about 400 yards. :haw: Arkham City didn't make much sense as a city if you stopped and thought about it, but it felt real while you were gliding around it. Montreal's additions, not so much.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Payndz posted:

Arkham Knight is currently the only confirmed game for which I'd buy a PS4, so if this is true I guess I'll be holding off for a while longer. :smith:

Same, but Rocksteady can take as long as they need to polish Arkham Knight. It's going to be worth the wait, and it'll give me time to cleanse my Arkham pallette.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Same, but Rocksteady can take as long as they need to polish Arkham Knight. It's going to be worth the wait, and it'll give me time to cleanse my Arkham pallette.

Yeah, I wouldn't be devastated if Arkham Knight got postponed long enough for Origins to maybe get one more story DLC. Perhaps one that ties up another loose end in the main story. A loose end involving a certain enigmatic character.

And by tie up, I mean punch.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Well it's Arkham Knight and watch_dogs for me.

I wouldn't mind seeing dlc that is a shameless adaptation of the long halloween tbh.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I saw that thing about AK at the weekend, but I don't tend to put a lot of stock with bleedingcool. I agree its better they take their time, I'll just get it on PC, but rushing to hit the Xmas market is not really Rocksteady' style.

Also, haven't had a chance to check, but is Gothcorp accessible in the core game (not inside, obviously, but it looks like its close to that loving power plant that divides the map). Also, steam is selling CCH at £7 here, so over $10. Summer sale is soon though..

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't be devastated if Arkham Knight got postponed long enough for Origins to maybe get one more story DLC. Perhaps one that ties up another loose end in the main story. A loose end involving a certain enigmatic character.

Who on earth are you referring to? I can't puzzle it out for the life of me.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

Who on earth are you referring to? I can't puzzle it out for the life of me.

Quite the Mr. E

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
I know the PC port of Arkham Origins Blackgate wasn't very well received, but if anyone was looking to grab it on the cheap anyway, it's on sale at Ubisoft's online store right now. It's 75% off, which puts it at $5 USD. That's an oddly huge discount on a game that's only been out for 24 days.

LINK

It says in at least three places on their store that it will require Uplay to download and install, and makes no mention of Steam that I could find. Despite that, it does give a Steam key.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
EDIT: drat. An edit/quote mixup. I haven't done one of those in ages.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006

Robot Hobo posted:

I know the PC port of Arkham Origins Blackgate wasn't very well received, but if anyone was looking to grab it on the cheap anyway, it's on sale at Ubisoft's online store right now. It's 75% off, which puts it at $5 USD. That's an oddly huge discount on a game that's only been out for 24 days.

LINK

It says in at least three places on their store that it will require Uplay to download and install, and makes no mention of Steam that I could find. Despite that, it does give a Steam key.

Stupid question, but is this the Steam version?

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Phylodox posted:

Personally, I just kind of want WB Montreal to be done with Origins. They made a fine enough game, but it was way too buggy. When they had to chance to put out a good story DLC that would distract from the base game launch, all it did was remind me of how buggy Origins was at launch. They had a chance to fix the pre-existing problems and show what they capable of and we just got more of the same. Out with Origins and in with Arkham Knight.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
None of the "legitimate" game news sites (Game Informer, who in fact just posted an updated game release calendar and still have AK as October 14; Kotaku, Eurogamer, etc. etc.) are posting about the Arkham Knight delay so I'd say it's likely Bleeding Cool being really stupid.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

timeandtide posted:

None of the "legitimate" game news sites (Game Informer, who in fact just posted an updated game release calendar and still have AK as October 14; Kotaku, Eurogamer, etc. etc.) are posting about the Arkham Knight delay so I'd say it's likely Bleeding Cool being really stupid.

Actually, Steam still has 14th Oct 2014

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

Personally, I just kind of want WB Montreal to be done with Origins.

Agreed. No doubt they had tons of pressure from the jump since they were a new-ish developer taking the reigns of one of the most beloved franchises of the last console era, but overall Origins just wasn't nearly the level of quality of Rocksteady. It should have been at least comparable to Rocksteady's games in terms of quality, but it's not close. Somehow it feels the most dated despite being the most recent in the series. The larger world seems big for its own sake and doesn't really service the gameplay or the story. The few new ideas they bring to the table (i.e., the remote claw and shock gloves) just nerf the existing gameplay and don't enhance it. The plot has some nice moments and provides more of a character arc for Batman than the previous games. The score is my favorite thanks to Chris Drake, and there are some nice touches here and there, but the whole thing seems too derivative and bland when compared to Asylum and City. I hope WB Montreal profited enough from Origins to pursue other projects, but I don't want the Arkham series to turn into Assassin's Creed with barely changed installments being churned out annually.

At least by the time E3 gets here this thread can shift to Arkham Knight discussion. They've already released a decent amount of screenshots and information about the game, and Origins doesn't seem worth talking about anymore.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Did anyone else notice anything off looking about the facial animations in CCH? I've only played a little bit of it so far, but every character looks really loving strange when they talk, something I never noticed previously in any Arkham game.
It just kind of looks like an invisible force is pulling their mouths around at random, with no real connection to what they're saying.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Did anyone else notice anything off looking about the facial animations in CCH? I've only played a little bit of it so far, but every character looks really loving strange when they talk, something I never noticed previously in any Arkham game.
It just kind of looks like an invisible force is pulling their mouths around at random, with no real connection to what they're saying.

The facial animations are always kind of bad, they're just usually on people wearing masks or with horrible mutated faces. Gordon often looked ridiculous and Wayne does too. (His lips especially.)

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Yea it was actually Bruce and Alfred I noticed on, maybe i just never paid much attention before or something.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Yeah. There were a few spots in the main Origins game which really call attention to it. After you rescue some cops at the entrance to Blackgate during the riots near the end of the game, if you talk to one of the cops then the camera zooms to an insane closeup on Batman's mouth while he talks.

I've been reading about Arkham Knight, and it's cool that the entire game will take place in-engine with no prerendered cutscenes. Now if only we could get some gameplay footage. ..

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

Personally, I just kind of want WB Montreal to be done with Origins. They made a fine enough game, but it was way too buggy. When they had to chance to put out a good story DLC that would distract from the base game launch, all it did was remind me of how buggy Origins was at launch. They had a chance to fix the pre-existing problems and show what they capable of and we just got more of the same. Out with Origins and in with Arkham Knight.

Yeah, I got the last of my achievements last night for CCH and decided,"Okay, I'm done now." I enjoyed the game a lot even if it wasn't quite as good as Rocksteady's offerings, but I feel like I've played it more than enough now and that CCH was a nice place to end it.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Yeah, Bruce's mouth especially was weird, it's strange because I didn't notice anything like that while playing Origins itself.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I just cleared the vigilante set's last challenge a couple days ago- thank goodness for the requirement bugs is all I can say. I'm still playing through challenge mode, dreading the time when I complete Dark Knight and turn my attention to the challenge maps. Predator stuff is easy, but the combat is so buggy and inconsistent that I'm really dreading the campaigns.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 25, 2014

Veotax
May 16, 2006

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I've been reading about Arkham Knight, and it's cool that the entire game will take place in-engine with no prerendered cutscenes. Now if only we could get some gameplay footage. ..

Apparently the live demo they showed to the press at GDC had a terrible framerate and was kinda crashy. Probably not in a good enough condition to show to the general public.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I seriously don't plan to dump on Origins EVERY time I post, but I disliked how often Origins relied upon cutscenes to tell the story. The whole series probably overindulges in them, but Origins felt particularly reliant on em.

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news
Do you get anything interesting for clearing "Cold, Cold Heart"?

e: I like it so far, I'm just curious. I don't wanna unfreeze all these dudes for just a trophy.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Namaste posted:

Do you get anything interesting for clearing "Cold, Cold Heart"?

e: I like it so far, I'm just curious. I don't wanna unfreeze all these dudes for just a trophy.

Clearing each of the sidequests nets you an additional heatsuit move- unfreezing the dudes gives you a shockwave effect when you break out of ice, and clearing the riots sidequest (the only interesting one, probably worth doing) gets you multi-heat batarang. I'm still looking for the last tag, don't know about that one.

Of course, by the time you unlock any of these upgrades, which are identical to stuff you already have in the main game, you'll have entirely or almost entirely beaten the DLC. I mean, you can only unfreeze the last victim when you're about 4 rooms from the end.

vvvvv Probably a longer/stronger charge. The gloves already hit through shields.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 25, 2014

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Discendo Vox posted:

Clearing each of the sidequests nets you an additional heatsuit move- unfreezing the dudes gives you a shockwave effect when you break out of ice, and clearing the riots sidequest (the only interesting one, probably worth doing) gets you multi-heat batarang. I'm still looking for the last tag, don't know about that one.

From what I've read on the Internet the last one gives you enhanced heat gloves, whatever that means.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Yeah, it's funny how they made a game that achieves this and announced it with a pre-rendered cutscene.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

BreakAtmo posted:

Yeah, it's funny how they made a game that achieves this and announced it with a pre-rendered cutscene.

It's pretty funny, but I'm glad they did it that way. I love those cutscenes they've done for City, Origins and now Knight. Although it's interesting that I don't think either of the fancy cutscenes from City and Origins were actually put into the game itself.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Keeku posted:

It's pretty funny, but I'm glad they did it that way. I love those cutscenes they've done for City, Origins and now Knight. Although it's interesting that I don't think either of the fancy cutscenes from City and Origins were actually put into the game itself.

Yeah, they were all just trailer stuff. I wasn't much for the pre-rendered cutscene. I mean, it was fine, but that's all we got besides leaked GameInformer screenshots. They announce a game, they should show the game. If they had released some gameplay to go with the FMV that would've been great.

Hell, what would have been really cool would be the FMV and a direct imitation of the FMV done in-engine to show off the visuals. That would have made for an interesting experiment and (hopefully) really showed off the graphical advances.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I just finished the opening segment of Cold, Cold Heart. Can anyone tell me if there's anything actually original going on in the story, or is it all going to be subpar rehashes of things from other Batman media?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

TheJoker138 posted:

I just finished the opening segment of Cold, Cold Heart. Can anyone tell me if there's anything actually original going on in the story, or is it all going to be subpar rehashes of things from other Batman media?

Uh... you might be disappointed.

The only angle that isn't really from Batman: The Animated Series is the Freeze/Penguin team-up... which is partially inspired by their interaction in Arkham City.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

Of course, by the time you unlock any of these upgrades, which are identical to stuff you already have in the main game, you'll have entirely or almost entirely beaten the DLC. I mean, you can only unfreeze the last victim when you're about 4 rooms from the end.

vvvvv Probably a longer/stronger charge. The gloves already hit through shields.

You always have multi-heat batarang. You get rapid fire heat batarangs. (In other words, it removes the heat batarang charge time.) It isn't particularly long, but you have to hold it for a second.

I do wish they timed getting upgrades a bit better. You can finish riots after getting the XE suit, Tags after getting the 2nd drill piece, and Victims, literally rooms before the final boss (which have no mooks).

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Apr 25, 2014

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

ayn rand hand job posted:

You always have multi-heat batarang. You get rapid fire heat batarangs. (In other words, it removes the heat batarang charge time.) It isn't particularly long, but you have to hold it for a second.

I do wish they timed getting upgrades a bit better. You can finish riots after getting the EX suit, Tags after getting the 2nd drill piece, and Victims, literally rooms before the final boss (which have no mooks).

Why does everyone keep calling it the EX suit? I have seen a few reviews do this repeatedly. Isn't it the XE suit, for Extreme Environment? (Even though it doesn't look much for an extreme environment that isn't really chilly)

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Robot Hobo posted:

LINK

They also have the Origins season pass for only $5, for anyone who wants to pick up the DLC on the cheap. Also on Steam.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Tiny patch dropped which fixed my infinite falling glitch in My Alibi.

Edit: And finished it. I liked it. The fight with Mr. Freeze kinda sucked because I kept on getting hit by him while trying to take out the last coolant thing, but overall, barring the glitches, it was pretty good. Like I mentioned, the combat felt better, more like the challenge maps than the main game, but I'm not certain if that's a platform specific thing. I never saw Heart of Ice (tragically seen very little B:tAS), but even without people talking about it, the story was very obvious (not that there's a problem with it).

catlord fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Huh. So here's something neat: apparently, the juicy secret that Riddler mentions in the Arkham Origins main story is blackmail on Mayor Hill having ties to the Maroni family. He then sends records of that to the public, which is why Hill steps down from his position at the end of the DLC.

You can apparently learn this by checking the sequencer after disarming the Anarky bomb.

• Locked thread