Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Xenomrph posted:

Edit-- if I like Cronenberg but have never seen Videodrome, is it worth checking out? The Criterion release caught my eye, but I'm hesitant to spend that much on a movie sight-unseen.
Imagine someone doing a straight adaptation of a Philip K Dick story. What could be a very shaky premise on screen is done perfectly.

Egbert Souse posted:

[Wells] had a grudge against Criterion because he didn't get a job with them 20 years ago.
I interviewed with them a few years ago and don't hold a grudge against them for not getting the job. So what the hell is this guy's problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Robert Denby posted:

Imagine someone doing a straight adaptation of a Philip K Dick story.
Off-topic but I'd love to see an adaptation of 'The Man in the High Castle', but mostly because I'm a Weird War II nerd.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Robert Denby posted:

Imagine someone doing a straight adaptation of a Philip K Dick story. What could be a very shaky premise on screen is done perfectly.

That movie is actually Linklater's A Scanner Darkly and it's remarkable.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kull the Conqueror posted:

That movie is actually Linklater's A Scanner Darkly and it's remarkable.

I really liked that movie. A lot. Linklater is awesome.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Xenomrph posted:

Edit-- if I like Cronenberg but have never seen Videodrome, is it worth checking out? The Criterion release caught my eye, but I'm hesitant to spend that much on a movie sight-unseen.

Yes, buy it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Done! I'll post a trip report after it shows up.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Finally got a blu-ray player of my own, 2 years after I moved out of my parents' house and took my Criterions with me. I immediately turned around and bought Quadrophenia, which I've had my eye on since it was announced.

Can't wait to check it out, haven't seen the movie in ~10 years.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sorry for dredging up a discussion from a few pages ago about Criterion adding the DVD copies in with the bluray releases. I still see it as redundant. Aren't Criterion's clientele already the the type of people who would already own a bluray player? It just seems weird to me that anyone who's willing to pay the premium for a Criterion film wouldn't have or doesn't plan on getting a bluray player by now.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Sorry for dredging up a discussion from a few pages ago about Criterion adding the DVD copies in with the bluray releases. I still see it as redundant. Aren't Criterion's clientele already the the type of people who would already own a bluray player? It just seems weird to me that anyone who's willing to pay the premium for a Criterion film wouldn't have or doesn't plan on getting a bluray player by now.

Some might appreciate the redundancy or indeed plan to get a bluray someday but want to see Breathless right now. You could call it another sort of completionism as well. Also a great way to reduce warehouse volume in the messy period where we're still all trying to figure out if bluray will supplant dvd or if they'll live side-by-side until the death of physical media in 7-12 years.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Can you even buy a pure DVD player new these days? Blu-ray players have fallen to $50 or so on the low end, and are at a point where even the low end players work well.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

mod sassinator posted:

Can you even buy a pure DVD player new these days? Blu-ray players have fallen to $50 or so on the low end, and are at a point where even the low end players work well.

Yeah, anybody who doesn't have a blu-ray player seems more likely to just download or stream a film instead.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

DVDs are still selling, so it would be foolish from a business perspective for Criterion to stop producing them. They've simply realized that the cheaper way to release them is to bundle them with the Blu-Ray. Criterion saves some money while still providing all the products they need to, and we get an extra disc. Seems just fine to me.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

mod sassinator posted:

Right but for a LOT of people, there's no reason to spend $50 when your ancient DVD player still plays your movies just fine. Especially if you don't already have HD.

I know a lot of people who love movies and TV but for a number of reasons don't have an HDTV and/or Blu-ray player.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's also a bit of a boon for libraries and library-goers.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
Okay, cool, can you all raise money to buy me an HDTV in this thread? If not, I guess one of you will have to start a thread in SA-Mart.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Mercaptopropyl posted:

Right but for a LOT of people, there's no reason to spend $50 when your ancient DVD player still plays your movies just fine. Especially if you don't already have HD.

I know a lot of people who love movies and TV but for a number of reasons don't have an HDTV and/or Blu-ray player.

I'm still rocking a tube TV, mainly because it's still going strong, and also because in the past I always knew that better models were just down the road so kept putting off an upgrade.
Now I'm at the point where I know I'll be moving in the next year or so, so am waiting to upgrade my TV until I move so I'll buy a size that will fit whatever my living room ends up looking like.

I'm happy for Criterion giving me both discs, as for all other movies I've been buying the dual format packages as well whenever there is an option. The DVD to watch now, the Blu to watch when I update.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wasn't trying to be condescending or anything, so I hope no one got the wrong impression. I actually found the DVD included in my bluray copy of The Hidden Fortress when my friend's older HDTV didn't have an HDMI port the other day.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm willing to part with a few OOP Criterions if anyone is interested:

Trafic (Jacques Tati) - DVD
Playtime - Blu-Ray
Last Year at Marienbad - Blu-Ray (original embossed digipack)

All are used, but great condition with the booklets.

PM or email me if you're interested.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Egbert Souse posted:

Last Year at Marienbad - Blu-Ray (original embossed digipack)

Oh man, I'd be interested in this but I know I can't afford a fair price for it right now. :(

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Mercaptopropyl posted:

It's 2014, what sort of person buy 40 dollar DVDs but doesn't own an HDTV?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Enough that Criterion would have an interest in providing both formats for consumers.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I'm sure Criterion has a reasonable percentage of older fans who have an interest in old films but not new technology.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I've never seen the 1972 Solaris but the blu-ray.com review for the Criterion set makes it awfully tempting. What's the consensus on it?

Also, Videodrome came in the mail today. I'll likely give it a whirl tomorrow after work.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It's amazing.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Xenomrph posted:

I've never seen the 1972 Solaris but the blu-ray.com review for the Criterion set makes it awfully tempting. What's the consensus on it?

Also, Videodrome came in the mail today. I'll likely give it a whirl tomorrow after work.

Having never seen it, I blind bought it and watched it a couple weeks ago. Was too dumbstruck to even try to rate or review it so I put it back on the "To Watch" stack. Like any Tarkovsky film it's spellbinding to say the least. In Solaris he reminds me a lot of Bergman, so take that as you will.

Also, Videodrome is awesome! It was on TV tonight but I had to watch hockey highlights.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Re: Criterion doodle

The Vanishing?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

I'd not sure what else it would be.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Makes sense to me that after finally upgrading Insomnia they also upgrade Sporloos. Also I selfishly want this which is why it makes sense to me.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

boom boom boom posted:

It's 2014, what sort of person buy 40 dollar DVDs but doesn't own an HDTV?

Who the hell buys Criterion DVDs when they're not 50% off?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Point still stands, $20 for a DVD is highway robbery.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

mod sassinator posted:

Even when it's loaded with special features and is something that you're not likely to find through other distributors?

I have quite a few DVDs from Criterion that aren't on Blu (Man Bites Dog, My Dinner With Andre, Mala Noche, Secret Honor, etc.) that I feel were well worth the price, especially with upgrades on the distant horizon. You're probably talking about the ones with Blu readily available but if I didn't have a player, they're still a really fair value with the restoration and extras.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

The amount of work Criterion puts into their releases absolutely justifies the price they charge. Stop being a cheap bastard. DVDs and Blu-Rays each physically cost pennies.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

mod sassinator posted:

$20 is about right for anything with a decent amount of supplements and a proper transfer. Certainly anything from Criterion. It would be a rip off with a lousy transfer and no extras.

No one seems to remember when early DVDs with absolutely no extras and middling transfers were close to $40 retail.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

mod sassinator posted:

That's a really good price considering the amount of work and material that goes into these things.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah man, let me just buy a digital copy for $15 instead.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
If you're paying $20 for a nice DVD, isn't it a little crazy not to buy a $50-60 blu-ray player though? Even if you don't have an HDTV yet the blu-ray is going to have less compression, better scaling, audio, etc.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
who CARES

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Egbert Souse posted:

$20 is about right for anything with a decent amount of supplements and a proper transfer. Certainly anything from Criterion. It would be a rip off with a lousy transfer and no extras.

No one seems to remember when early DVDs with absolutely no extras and middling transfers were close to $40 retail.
I still get a chuckle when I look at my older DVDs and the "special features" are:
- widescreen format
- surround sound
And if you're lucky:
- interactive menus

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Xenomrph posted:

I still get a chuckle when I look at my older DVDs and the "special features" are:
- widescreen format
- surround sound
And if you're lucky:
- interactive menus
I was looking at my "Indiana Jones" DVDs earlier (got the Blu-Rays and am putting the DVDs in my trade pile) and one of the bonus features is 'Exclusive Access to the Indiana Jones DVD Website'. Oh boy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion does have perks that I feel are worth any extra costs. I don't mind paying $20 even for a release with modest supplements because they don't make film watching an aggravating experience.

When you put a Criterion Blu into a player, it goes straight to the menu. You press play and it starts the film. Even mainstream releases that go for the same price, if not more, require you to sit through trailers, FBI warnings, and other crap. Not only that, you have mainstream films packaged in cheap, ugly cases with nothing about the film. Criterion will at the minimum include a leaflet with a short essay and technical notes.

There's also the caliber of the films and the fact that Criterion is a smaller, more intimate operation. It's a company that focuses on making great films available to the public. They don't have a conglomerate to answer to. They don't sit on films because they can't sell 50,000 copies or claim there's no budget available.