Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

Drifter posted:

The earlier one looks not nearly as good as the later one.

I like the earlier one more.(also in the new one there is no ability bar) Imo there is no reason to have free spaces between the elements in the bottom. Also the style of the new ui doesn't fit with the character sheet or the journal.

prometheus12345 fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

CommissarMega posted:

You know, we've had discussions about guns and such, but what about other technological items? Are there pocket watches, or calculators, or the like? Is there such a thing as a fusion of technology and magic? I'd love to see how such a world would develop.
There are some clocks and a very small number of early watches. Animancers tend to be mechanical inventors and tinkerers since so much of animancy is only possible through technology. Animancy itself is not so much a fusion of technology and magic as it is a field of study that uses machines to examine essence, i.e. soul energy.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Are tattoos going to get any exposure in-game? Either as a little character customization or portraits or magic, etc?
I think the only character who currently has any tattoos is Sagani. It's not a big part of any of the cultures that are highly present in the Eastern Reach (this part of the world).

SunAndSpring posted:

So, how do people who worship one god react to a Godlike of that deity? Do they get really excited about it or just go, "Eh, just another dude"?
It depends on local attitudes and personal beliefs. Devout people who truly believe that godlike are blessed may be extremely reverent around godlike characters. Some people think that godlike are cursed or may be hostile toward godlike "of" a faith they don't like. E.g. godlike associated with Eothas are treated badly in the Dyrwood due to the Saint's War. Godlike associated with Magran are received much more positively for the same reason. The godlike themselves have varying attitudes about it.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

prometheus12345 posted:

I like the earlier one more.(also in the new one there is no ability bar) Imo there is no reason to have free spaces between the elements in the bottom. Also the style of the new ui doesn't fit with the character sheet or the journal.

I assume the ability bar and other elements can be hidden if the current iteration isn't a placeholder. Honestly, I'd prefer a solid-but-streamlined design, one that feels more readable than the original and doesn't waste quite as much space, but still keeps that solid, skeuomorphic feel, but I can live with what I see in the video too.

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I assume the ability bar and other elements can be hidden if the current iteration isn't a placeholder. Honestly, I'd prefer a solid-but-streamlined design, one that feels more readable than the original and doesn't waste quite as much space, but still keeps that solid, skeuomorphic feel, but I can live with what I see in the video too.

For me the free space between the elements is also wasted space. And I think there isn't enough free space for the ability bar, so if there is an ability bar it would likely above the seen ui. So they both take the whole bottom and I think the height is also similiar. I can live with both UIs. What I liked the most about the first UI was the position of the ability bar above the character portraits.

I can live with most UIs. I don't like l-shaped uis, because portraits and abilities are too far away from another. I liked the moveable spell window in NWN2 and I would like it if PoE has something similiar for spells and abilities, but with a skeuomorphic design.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I like the new one lookswise, especially if it's got the oxidized copper look. I just hope there's a baroqueness slider or something that just makes the stuff grow first into the gaps and then like kudzu across the screen as I watch until the entire screen is just ornate copperwork.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

SunAndSpring posted:

How dare Obsidian imply all native Americans are dwarfs? I won't loving stand for this. I'm going to pirate this game 700 times so Obsidian loses 35,000 dollars and then never play it.

If it was elves, this is how I'd respond.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

xthetenth posted:

I like the new one lookswise, especially if it's got the oxidized copper look. I just hope there's a baroqueness slider or something that just makes the stuff grow first into the gaps and then like kudzu across the screen as I watch until the entire screen is just ornate copperwork.

The slider should have some defined ruts. Eg. on the far left there would be gothic, somewhere on the right would be baroque, on the far left rococo, etc.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
Character sternness and worldliness can likewise have a selector that goes from Samnite to Graecophile or something.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Character sternness and worldliness can likewise have a selector that goes from Samnite to Graecophile or something.

With progressively deepening wrinkle/frown action on the character portrait?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

rope kid posted:

It depends on local attitudes and personal beliefs. Devout people who truly believe that godlike are blessed may be extremely reverent around godlike characters. Some people think that godlike are cursed or may be hostile toward godlike "of" a faith they don't like. E.g. godlike associated with Eothas are treated badly in the Dyrwood due to the Saint's War. Godlike associated with Magran are received much more positively for the same reason. The godlike themselves have varying attitudes about it.
Are godlike "subraces" associated with particular Gods, then, and not with general elemental magic / fell or heavenly spheres as is in D&D?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Basic Chunnel posted:

Are godlike "subraces" associated with particular Gods, then, and not with general elemental magic / fell or heavenly spheres as is in D&D?

Similarly, I was wondering if there are some gods who really get weirded out about the whole godlike phenomenon and frown on the gods that make them for interfering in the natural order or something. Like, the god of mortal purity or something.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

No one actually knows for certain that godlike are created by divine intervention. Their appearances suggest strong alignment with certain deities -- e.g. there are godlike who exhibit physical properties associating them with the moon and water, which are both aspects of Ondra -- but there is no direct proof or divine confirmation.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
What are godlike? We just don't know.

source

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Thants for that. Water water, what has though duns't?

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

rope kid posted:

Animancers Sagani Eastern Reach godlike characters Eothas Dyrwood Saint's War Magran Ondra

:psyduck:

It's been discussed before that players would like to see a 'low intelligence' run that contains unique dialogue and situations. I say forget that. Add a 'low lore awareness' run where the player is both, in and out of character, entirely ignorant of what is going on in the game world. A spin on the classic, where the player constantly makes mistakes and references to characters, places and events that do not match with the game, that NPC's will call you out on. Player's can even have a long diatribe exclaiming their hatred of some given culture/race/magic/etc.. at some point, only to be pointedly reminded they made several mistakes because they lack any and all sense, context or rationale.

A path through the game where it assumes the player is utterly oblivious, at all times.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Make a fourth wall stat or trait, rope kid. I'd back it!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

rope kid posted:

No one actually knows for certain that godlike are created by divine intervention. Their appearances suggest strong alignment with certain deities -- e.g. there are godlike who exhibit physical properties associating them with the moon and water, which are both aspects of Ondra -- but there is no direct proof or divine confirmation.

Cut it out. You know. Just because the people in the world don't know doesn't mean you don't know(in your heart).

Rope kid lied, godlike died.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

User0015 posted:

It's been discussed before that players would like to see a 'low intelligence' run that contains unique dialogue and situations. I say forget that. Add a 'low lore awareness' run where the player is both, in and out of character, entirely ignorant of what is going on in the game world. A spin on the classic, where the player constantly makes mistakes and references to characters, places and events that do not match with the game, that NPC's will call you out on. Player's can even have a long diatribe exclaiming their hatred of some given culture/race/magic/etc.. at some point, only to be pointedly reminded they made several mistakes because they lack any and all sense, context or rationale.

A path through the game where it assumes the player is utterly oblivious, at all times.

This would be amazing. I really want to have a one-sided conversation about "Stan's War" now.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

User0015 posted:

They already made that game. They called it Ultima IX: Ascension.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

User0015 posted:

Have it so that the NPC's will just make poo poo up then taunt you for believing them.

"They say the treasures of a long forgotten empire rest in the cursed forest"
"Really?"
"No. What are you, retarded?"

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Agean90 posted:

Have it so that the NPC's will just make poo poo up then taunt you for believing them.

"They say the treasures of a long forgotten empire rest in the cursed forest"
"Really?"
"No. What are you, retarded?"

Yeah, and hey, while you're there, my husband was captured by some spiders, can you save him? In the cave, where the treasure is. There's treasure.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

User0015 posted:

The player is assumed to be a foreigner to the Dyrwood, so a lot of these terms will be explained by characters in the game if they are asked.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

User0015 posted:

This would be great as a troll option in the dialogue trees. So many people think that the longer the response, the "better" it is. So they see the option to go into a huge screed or something and don't really read it or comprehend it, they just pick it because its the longest choice, only for everyone to just stop and stare at you with dumbfounded horror and annoyance at the magnitude of your asininity.

Kind of like when Fry on Futurama tried to explain what was happening in a game of blernsball and Leela explains, "except for the word blern that was complete nonsense."

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 24, 2014

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ikanreed posted:

Cut it out. You know. Just because the people in the world don't know doesn't mean you don't know(in your heart).

Rope kid lied, godlike died.

Yeah and Star Wars was so much better once we found out about medichlorians, right? (sometimes 'we don't know' is the better answer)

Sea Otter
Oct 9, 2012

rope kid posted:

How are godlike perceived outside of polytheist context/cultures?

Edit:
Also, reading through the thread again, I've gotten an impression that you missed a point of mine before. I mean, how does geography works in cultural differentiations? You pointed out that Swede and Italians are quite different. I agree and it's partly because of the sheer distance between them, I think. Also, the existence of the Alps, which famed Hannibal and Napoleon, must have played a part in dividing northern and southern European cultures while there may be something like the Silk Road. Both cultures have Christian influence but, at the same time, they are quite different, indeed (even their takes on Christian ideology).

In general, I like the thought-experiment, where some factors in our world are mixed with fantastic (if) factors and am wondering how geography or other physical factors (maybe some fantastical ones, too) work in cultural transition or divide. And yeah, such thought gave me a further impression that the area of PoE revealed in this time around is probably going to share pantheism with different takes on them while there are some isolated areas such as Aumaua-dominated cultures. Hence the question about other possible religious/ideological systems.

Even in the spotlit area, I wonder how Druids, who are traditionally depicted as shamans and animists in fantasy settings are going to be treated. Talking of animism, the appearances of "Godlikes" may play a different role in Totemic cultures, where people identify themselves with specific animals and plants (IIRC, you are/were interested in native American culture, too).

Sea Otter fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Apr 24, 2014

Woden
May 6, 2006

Gyshall posted:

Make a fourth wall stat or trait, rope kid. I'd back it!
I've played through Vampire Bloodlines 4 or 5 times now as a Malk because the dialogue is so great. You get to call out baddies on stuff the player might know but the character would have no idea on, the writing is pretty tight so even on a first playthrough you have no idea if you're speaking gibberish or not.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Woden posted:

I've played through Vampire Bloodlines 4 or 5 times now as a Malk because the dialogue is so great. You get to call out baddies on stuff the player might know but the character would have no idea on, the writing is pretty tight so even on a first playthrough you have no idea if you're speaking gibberish or not.

Malkavians are by far the best thing about Bloodlines. I'm still conflicted about whether letting them be accessible from the first playthrough was a mistake. There's undoubtedly something fun about a game deliberately ruining its own twists, but I'm not sure it works if you haven't run through it normally first.

Woden
May 6, 2006
It works fine on a first play through, first run for me was Ventrue but I got bored about half way and then went Malk for a full run without picking up anything spoilery. All I remember getting out of it is that Jack is probably right and I shouldn't trust anyone.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

Missed this one out of the stack of screenshots from a few pages back:

New UI it seems. Lookin pretty great too!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

coffeetable posted:

New UI it seems. Lookin pretty great too!

That is likely not the machine where they are testing the UI, looking what is going on in that screenshot.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

That is likely not the machine where they are testing the UI, looking what is going on in that screenshot.

I doubt there's any relation between the two things. The area is probably just their test blockout where they try new abilities, party combinations, etc. Could easily do that with a near-final UI too.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Mordaedil posted:

You don't make artwork for development UI.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

coffeetable posted:

You don't make artwork for development UI.

Good point, actually.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
I am skeptical because that seems very at odds with what was hinted at during the post gameplay trailer interviews. That seems very minimalistic, especially the floating wireframe portraits. No health bars and no action bar - just the party menu and the menu buttons.

That's why I think it's just what they're using for the area testing module - as that is a 3D Level blockout there.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Sensuki posted:

I am skeptical because that seems very at odds with what was hinted at during the post gameplay trailer interviews. That seems very minimalistic, especially the floating wireframe portraits. No health bars and no action bar - just the party menu and the menu buttons.

That's why I think it's just what they're using for the area testing module - as that is a 3D Level blockout there.

:psyduck: The "area testing module" is the game.

Minimalist as it is, it's also far too stylized to be for internal tooling only. The UI in that screenshot represents maybe a week's worth of dev time, if not more. Internal tooling is lucky to even get icons.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
Nothing's stopping the menu and dialog windows from being semi-final art, I just can't see that layout working.

For instance on the left side of the menu there are six buttons. We have Guard, Attack, Stop, Select All, Formations and Party AI (presumably). This is when all characters are selected. When a single character is selected you still need the select all, party AI, Formations and Stop (if that's what it is) button. Attack could be replaced by the weapon (but multiple slots?).

Where is the space for the equipment belt and the abilities and spells?

It can't be on the right, where the menu is (I see Area Map, Character Sheet, Journal, Something, Stronghold, Options), because that goes against rope kid's UI design philosophy, as the action buttons must be close to the portraits according to him.

So either the design has changed (and the action bar is a popup or something stupid like that) OR that's just a temp for testing purposes.

That and most people assumed a more solid layout from the most recent information.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Apr 24, 2014

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I hope it's non-final, because I think it's much much uglier than the mock-up UI they showed in Update 54. Admittedly art and UI are always going to be somewhat subjective, but I much prefer the 'skeuomorphic' blocky UI to this. It just looks like there are bits missing, especially around the portraits.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 24, 2014

Ladolcevita
Dec 1, 2013
I have to say, I'm all for the "new" UI. Of all the things I miss about the old IE games, the UIs are not one of them. As long as the UI for PE is aesthetically pleasing and functional (which the UI in the pic appears likely to be) then I don't really care how much it harkens back to the IE games' UIs.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Ladolcevita posted:

I have to say, I'm all for the "new" UI. Of all the things I miss about the old IE games, the UIs are not one of them. As long as the UI for PE is aesthetically pleasing and functional (which the UI in the pic appears likely to be) then I don't really care how much it harkens back to the IE games' UIs.

Agreed. The Update 54 design looked like there hadn't been any progress in user interfaces in 20 years. Which is seemingly what some people want, but my nostalgia ain't conditional on it.

And I'd be fine with a popup action bar when you select a character. If it ain't needed, don't show it.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Otter
Oct 9, 2012

coffeetable posted:

After remembering how UI discussions/arguments tend to go, I thought you had avoided that part intentionally. The only thing which can be agreed is probably, to leave it configurable/modable.

• Locked thread