Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

actionjackson posted:

They should rename it, headrest makes it sound like your head should be resting on it!

I think the Europeans do a slightly better job of always referring to it as 'head restraint' not 'headrest'; it's a challenge for the ergonomics folks at Lear or whoever to come up with something both comfortable and able to pass safety certs.

It's like the worst thing to ever admit to customers though as a sales guy or marketing person 'oh yeah, that's not supposed to be comfortable, it's there to protect you! :haw:'

Side note: my new exhaust came in today, how bad is it as a solo job with wheel ramps + jack stands to replace the stock stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

actionjackson posted:

They should rename it, headrest makes it sound like your head should be resting on it!

You should hear a physicist talk talk about how the Big Bang wasn't a "bang" and Dark Matter isn't really "matter".

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

MY RCD510 just randomly decided to go completely dead. I hadn't even be using it so I don't know exactly when it died, just that I went to turn it on and the power button doesn't work. The fuse under the hood is fine but even if the one in the back is blown that's a really bad sign considering it wasn't in use.

loving VW electronics.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Luckily those are cheap enough if you don't want to go aftermarket.

My gripe with the RCD510 is how bright it is at night even turned all the way down. Where's my Saab night mode damnit?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Yeah the market seems to be flooded with Chinese model OEM radios which work find just the FM steps will be off.

I almost want to go aftermarket for improved BT integration and HD tuning, and nav would be nice. Alpine or Pioneer maybe?

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 22, 2014

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Do the eBay OEM RCD510's typically come with working pin codes? Most of the listings seem pretty vague.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

Yeah the market seems to be flooded with Chinese model OEM radios which work find just the FM steps will be off.

I almost want to go aftermarket for improved BT integration and HD tuning, and nav would be nice. Alpine or Pioneer maybe?

My RCD has HD radio. Not sure how the Bluetooth would work, what module do you have?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Bovril Delight posted:

My RCD has HD radio. Not sure how the Bluetooth would work, what module do you have?

OK, so after some digging there are multiple RCD-510 models.

The one I have is 1K0-035-180-AC, but the one you likely have is 1K0-035-180-AE. That added HD radio, on screen phone dialing, and Bluetooth remote control for bluetooth streaming. I have a 9W7 module but the head unit only shows "BT Audio" instead of song information and the next/previous track buttons are grayed out (well, that's how it used to work at least). i could control the songs via voice commands but that's just dumb.

I would want to get an AE model if I stuck with OEM (and avoid a chinese version) but I'm having a hard time finding the dang thing.

Alternate option: buy chinese radio, sell Jetta, wash hands of VW forever.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 22, 2014

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

OK, so after some digging there are multiple RCD-510 models.

The one I have is 1K0-035-180-AC, but the one you likely have is 1K0-035-180-AE. That added HD radio, on screen phone dialing, and Bluetooth remote control for bluetooth streaming. I have a 9W7 module but the head unit only shows "BT Audio" instead of song information and the next/previous track buttons are grayed out (well, that's how it used to work at least). i could control the songs via voice commands but that's just dumb.

I would want to get an AE model if I stuck with OEM (and avoid a chinese version) but I'm having a hard time finding the dang thing.

Hmm. I do have HD radio but no on screen dialing or Bluetooth control via the head unit/steering wheel controls. IIRC there is something about the head unit having a phone button instead of a mute button. I have a mute button.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Bovril Delight posted:

Hmm. I do have HD radio but no on screen dialing or Bluetooth control via the head unit/steering wheel controls. IIRC there is something about the head unit having a phone button instead of a mute button. I have a mute button.

I saw some people talking about a similar setup. Maybe an intermediate version of the radio?

I'm really just considering selling it and giving the buyer the option of me installing one of the OEM radios on ebay or taking $300 cash and they can decide to put in their own. How much would a single owner '10 Jetta TDI with 43k miles go for?

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Shifty Pony posted:

I saw some people talking about a similar setup. Maybe an intermediate version of the radio?

I'm really just considering selling it and giving the buyer the option of me installing one of the OEM radios on ebay or taking $300 cash and they can decide to put in their own. How much would a single owner '10 Jetta TDI with 43k miles go for?

Depends on where you live, but around here(seattle), they seem to get listed around $15k with even higher mileage on them. The resale was one of the reasons that I ended up getting my JSW tdi. CPO ones just don't exist in this area and 2 year old ones seem to go for $20k, even with 30k miles on them.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
The dealership I bought my '13 JSW from had a 2010 with 67k miles on it parked right next to mine. They were asking the same amount of money for it as I paid for my brand new one. It was a CPO, and both were TDI. The CPO one did have the sunroof, and was a stick though.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

alternate.eago posted:

The dealership I bought my '13 JSW from had a 2010 with 67k miles on it parked right next to mine. They were asking the same amount of money for it as I paid for my brand new one. It was a CPO, and both were TDI. The CPO one did have the sunroof, and was a stick though.

This is why I bought new. Used car prices are hosed up.

tropical
Aug 14, 2003
Ahh say whut?
Oh man, I'd love bluetooth remote control from the screen or steering wheel controls in my GTI. That plus a night mode option are the only 2 things I want added to my stock head unit.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I pulled the old unit to see if I could see an obvious cause of falue like a bulging capacitor but no such luck. I ordered a used OEM unit from a reputable ebay seller instead of a sketchy Chinese unit.

I'm in central Texas. I'm thinking that I'll get the car detailed and put it up on TDIclub for $17.5k given the low mileage, 15 months-17,000mi powertrain warranty remaining, ceramic tint, upgraded bluetooth module, newish DWS tires, and p3 gauge installed. Or am I falling victim to the same "XYZ Invested!" that populates the worst craigslist posts?

Despite grumping about the radio I do love the car but I just don't drive it enough and the diesel isn't best at city driving anyway.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 22, 2014

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

alternate.eago posted:

This is why I'm glad I bought a TDI when I did. Mine should have right around 38k miles on it when I trade it in on the R. Figure it'll have cost me about 2k a year to drive.

san_dingo
May 31, 2004

I thought it was fast at the time.

COUGH 71hp COUGH
My 2012 GTI (base model, manual transmission) is making a knocking sound from the right rear (I think). The dealer has had it in several times and removed/inspected the right rear suspension and can't reproduce it or find the cause. It seems to happen only when cold, and the car has to be moving for it to start. Once it starts, it will do it intermittently for several minutes (until it warms up), but is especially prominent upon stopping (could just be a reduction in road noise, I realize). The noise is not speed dependent and I feel no vibrations in the steering wheel or otherwise. My warranty is going to be up in a few months, so I'd really like to get this fixed. Any ideas? Something in the fuel delivery system, perhaps?

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

san_dingo posted:

My 2012 GTI (base model, manual transmission) is making a knocking sound from the right rear (I think). The dealer has had it in several times and removed/inspected the right rear suspension and can't reproduce it or find the cause. It seems to happen only when cold, and the car has to be moving for it to start. Once it starts, it will do it intermittently for several minutes (until it warms up), but is especially prominent upon stopping (could just be a reduction in road noise, I realize). The noise is not speed dependent and I feel no vibrations in the steering wheel or otherwise. My warranty is going to be up in a few months, so I'd really like to get this fixed. Any ideas? Something in the fuel delivery system, perhaps?

It's probably the fuel cap pressure testing. My GTI does it as well and I'm pretty sure that it's part of the car's emissions controls.

san_dingo
May 31, 2004

I thought it was fast at the time.

COUGH 71hp COUGH

chutwig posted:

It's probably the fuel cap pressure testing. My GTI does it as well and I'm pretty sure that it's part of the car's emissions controls.

Holy poo poo, man. I'll try to confirm with the dealer, but I think you're right- thanks!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ok, hopefully a simple one for you guys - we need to swap the engine on my mate's 1.9 TDi 1999 A3, we've got another lump, but want to buy some bits for it. To make sure we're buying the right stuff, need the engine number, and I can't for the life of me see the drat thing! Where is it?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

san_dingo posted:

That description (sound and position) sounds a lot like what people point towards the fuel pump every time I see a thread about it on forums.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

actionjackson posted:

So in my A4, I have a bit of a lack of headroom. Maybe it's because of the sunroof, but I'm 6'1" and I can't really sit in the proper position (i.e. back straight and head against the headrest) without my head hitting the roof. I end up angling the back part of the seat about 10 degrees back. And yes I have the seat in the lowest possible position. Anyone else have this issue?

Which year? I have a B6, and at 6"4 it's the most comfortable drive I have had in a car, I don't even have the seat all the way back, and while the seat is right down height wise, I have a little clearance for my head.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
I am looking to buy a 8V A3 Sportback as my first car and i intend to keep it until it catches fire basically. So i want to know how much i can expect to pay extra on maintenance on a "premium" car like that compared to a Toyota / Hyundai / whatever. Is it a lot more, not too much, less? Since i don't plan to sell it (although who knows what the future brings) can i skip the Audi Brand mechanics and go with an independent and will that save me money. Does that even matter if i would then sell the car? Basically what i'm asking is how expensive is it to own an A3 compared to a civic, not counting buy price. How would i go about finding out the life cost of a car, is there a resource for this?

Also is there anything i should know about this model (it's new so i don't expect there's much information about life problems)?

Knobjockey
Jul 21, 2003

Crush your enemies.
Bang! and the alien is gone.
Hear the lamentation of Dr. Vahlen.

InitialDave posted:

Ok, hopefully a simple one for you guys - we need to swap the engine on my mate's 1.9 TDi 1999 A3, we've got another lump, but want to buy some bits for it. To make sure we're buying the right stuff, need the engine number, and I can't for the life of me see the drat thing! Where is it?

There should be a sticker at the top of the timing belt cover. The second line contains the three letter engine code. Assuming the cover and sticker are still there...

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

DesperateDan posted:

Which year? I have a B6, and at 6"4 it's the most comfortable drive I have had in a car, I don't even have the seat all the way back, and while the seat is right down height wise, I have a little clearance for my head.

B8 2011

420Chris
Jan 1, 2005
love weed.

chutwig posted:

This is correct, sort of. What you are hearing is the fuel system leak detection pump depressurizing the evap system to check for any evap or tank leaks, it's usually done once per drive cycle when you start the engine up. The LDP is in the right fender behind the liner and makes a series of thumps while its applying vacuum to the tank. Fuel pumps hum, sometimes after an accident it's possible on the newer cars to have the fuel pump get knocked sideways, but the rattle it always constant and not temp related. Those are under the rear seat anyway, not really a right rear noise.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Nothing quite like getting your car back from the bodyshop after they fixed up the damage someone else did to it, everything is all cleaned and feels almost like a new car again.

What doesn't feel like a new car is having your wife get trapped in the passenger seat when the idiots at the bodyshop forgot to actually hook up the controls on the passenger door to the actual door. She had to knock on the window to get me to let her out.

Plus now that they're fixing that they'll actually take a look at the CEL that came on after the accident, though I think they're simply sending the car to the one Audi dealer in the area and having them fix it.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
It can be worse, they could not line up the panels completely correctly, try to use aftermarket parts (seriously did they think I wouldn't notice the depot headlight, that was obviously completely different from the OEM on the other side?), and introduce a phantom draw that was so bad it would discharge the brand new battery overnight.

So glad I traded in the Tiguan (even though I took a huge bath on the loan).

The paintwork they did was phenomenal though. It was amazing that they matched that metallic blue so perfectly.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Knobjockey posted:

There should be a sticker at the top of the timing belt cover. The second line contains the three letter engine code. Assuming the cover and sticker are still there...
Sticker's long gone, and the cambelt cover is so laughably easy to swap, I wouldn't trust it. I was hoping for a stamped/cast number on the block.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

alternate.eago posted:

It can be worse, they could not line up the panels completely correctly, try to use aftermarket parts (seriously did they think I wouldn't notice the depot headlight, that was obviously completely different from the OEM on the other side?), and introduce a phantom draw that was so bad it would discharge the brand new battery overnight.

So glad I traded in the Tiguan (even though I took a huge bath on the loan).

The paintwork they did was phenomenal though. It was amazing that they matched that metallic blue so perfectly.

This is why you carry insurance that requires OEM parts :) For anyone in Denver, Precision Auto Body on Havana is loving awesome. So far they have repaired the entire front end and right front suspension when a CRX put me into a guardrail, then repaired the B-pillar when some fuckface broke into the car. Traded that car in and went almost a solid 3 years without anyone ramming into the new one. They replaced the hood and headlight and had to blend the fenders after the most recent incident. Primo work every time.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

This is why you carry insurance that requires OEM parts :)

Some states have regulations on this but most don't. The big insurance companies out there will typically write used or aftermarket if it's available. What insurance company do you have that specifies OEM only? Is it an endorsement?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Shifty Pony posted:

Mine is from my '10 jetta with the full size white MFD.

A warning that the 9w3 does not support a2dp streaming over bluetooth. That may be built into the new mk6 head unit but I am not sure. Still it would be worth the fuss to try the 9w3 to see if a 9w7 would be a permanent fix. They are a snap to swap.

edit: email sent.

Got the module, swapped it out, same problem: can connect over Bluetooth, can hear the other person, they can't hear me. It's either the microphone or the harness is wired up incorrectly.

Thanks for the assist.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Bovril Delight posted:

Some states have regulations on this but most don't. The big insurance companies out there will typically write used or aftermarket if it's available. What insurance company do you have that specifies OEM only? Is it an endorsement?

State Farm.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

State Farm.

Ah gotcha. You can use OEM parts with SF but you'll pay the difference if there is something most cost effective available. I think most insurance companies would let you do that.

https://static1.st8fm.com/en_US/content_pages/1/pdf/us/non-oem-recycled-parts.pdf

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

InitialDave posted:

Is it the original engine? If you lift up the boot carpet there might be a sticker under there listing VIN, engine code etc. I assume if you have it you've taken a look inside the cover of the service record book, VW like to put stickers in there too. I've never touched a diesel lump so I can't really help you there, and on the petrol ones I've seen them stamp it anywhere between timing gears to a little machined flat above the bellhousing.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
No, this is the engine to swap into it we're talking about.

It doesn't really matter, we'll get it done either way.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Completely missed that, my bad. :downs:

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Less maintenance/mechanics specific question more purchasing advice, I have always liked the idea of owning a second gen Audi tt coupe. Is there anything specific about them I should know if i started shopping for them? Are there any major caveats about owning a relative lightly used 6-8 year old TT coupe? I'm toying with the idea and am curious about what the goon opinion/experience is.

Sevensin
Nov 6, 2013

Only
Half
Gar-
Bage
Dick
I have a 2007 (B7) A4 2.0t A/T FWD that has started making an odd noise. Wondering if anyone might provide some insight on whats going on, is it going to blow up tomorrow, etc.

When the car is coasting (in gear, moving, foot off the gas) it starts making a noise that sounds like a bicycle with a card in the spokes. It sounds generally like it is coming from the engine and goes away when any throttle is applied. It doesn't seem speed related and braking doesn't cause a change in the noise. It's not terribly loud and is only slightly audible with the windows up but is very apparent when they are down. No check engine lights or anything like that. There doesn't seem to have been any degradation of driving characteristics or performance. I've had the car for almost 2 years and this is definitely a new noise. The car has ~75k miles.

Sound familiar to anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Bovril Delight posted:

Ah gotcha. You can use OEM parts with SF but you'll pay the difference if there is something most cost effective available. I think most insurance companies would let you do that.

https://static1.st8fm.com/en_US/content_pages/1/pdf/us/non-oem-recycled-parts.pdf

Worth it to me cause I have exactly 1 at fault accident in 22 years of driving and that was when the Vice President of Enron cut me off and brake checked me in traffic back in 96. Still waiting to get my deductible back from my most recent altercation of which I was sitting at a red light.