Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
This discussion about whether unfinished UI art is better than finished UI art is going nowhere. Though if people want the option to be able to turn off all of the art assets in the UI it wouldn't really bother me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
So what kind of utility spells do wizards have? Will we have anything like Tenser's Floating Disk or Mordenkainen's Mystic Mansion?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
As long as the UI is usable and doesn't cover half of the screen for no reason except to look just like it's taken straight from the 80s, I couldn't care less how it looks.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 24, 2014

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

SunAndSpring posted:

So what kind of utility spells do wizards have? Will we have anything like Tenser's Floating Disk or Mordenkainen's Mystic Mansion?

Some wizard spells from this update:

quote:

Fan of Flames - Creates a short-range cone of fire that does Burn damage to everyone caught inside. (Reflexes)

Jolting Touch - Inflicts heavy electrical damage to the target then jumps to the two nearest enemies. (Deflection)

Minoletta's Minor Missiles - Launches three missiles of magical energy that inflict Crush damage on a single target. (Deflection)

Thrust of Tattered Veils - Generates a precise thrust of Crushing force that does little damage but has a high Interrupt. This fast-casting spell is often used to disrupt enemy actions. (Deflection)

Wizard's Double - Creates a single duplicate image of the caster that grants a high Deflection bonus against a single attack.

Concelhaut's Corrosive Siphon - Inflicts a Corrode effect and restores Stamina to the caster over time. (Fortitude)

Ray of Fire - Creates a lingering stream of flames between the caster and target, doing damage to the target and everyone caught in between. (Reflexes)

Fireball - Classic, reliable, deadly. That's fireball. (Reflexes)

Kalakoth's Minor Blights - Creates a random "blight" in the caster's hand that does Burn, Freeze, Corrode, or Shock damage to the target and anyone caught in the area. After the wizard throws one minor blight, it will continue to spawn additional random minor blights until the spell's duration runs out. (Deflection/Reflexes)

Minoletta's Bounding Missiles - As Minoletta's Minor Missiles, but each missile bounces to one additional target, does more damage, and has shorter overall range. (Deflection)

Ryngrim's Repulsive Visage - Targets near caster are Sickened and Terrified by the wizard's horrifying appearance. (Will)

Dimensional Shift - The caster and one ally are able to immediately switch locations, leaving a shockwave between them. Anyone caught in-between may be briefly Stunned. (Fortitude)

Essential Phantom - Summons a ghostly double of the caster that fights with its bare hands, doing Shock damage. Other than the appearance of the caster, it shares no other properties.

Minor Arcane Reflection - The caster erects a field of arcane energy around himself or herself, similar to the Arcane Veil. However, Minor Arcane Reflection has the ability to reflect an incoming hostile targeted (only) spell, sending it back to the original caster. The Reflection can try to reflect spells up to 3rd level -- and up to 10 total levels of spells -- before it expires. A failed attempt at reflection counts toward the limit. When an incoming spell targets the caster, the Reflection attacks the enemy's Will. If it succeeds in the attack, the spell is reflected. If two casters both have Arcane Reflections up, the attack can potentially bounce back and forth repeatedly until one caster fails his or her attack -- or exhausts his or her Reflection.

Citzal's Spirit Lance - Creates a pike out of magical energy that does Pierce damage and causes a foe-only Blast explosion like wands do. (Deflection/Reflexes)
Malignant Cloud - Creates a cloud of virulent poison that does raw damage (ignoring DT) to anyone in the cloud over time. (Fortitude)

Arkemyr's Capricious Hex - Targets are randomly subjected to one of several afflictions, each with an equal chance of appearing, although at different durations: Dazed, Sickened, or Paralyzed. (Will)

Ninagauth's Freezing Pillar - Slams a huge gleaming shard of ice into the ground, doing Freeze damage to anyone in the immediate area. A circle of frost spreads from the pillar, creating a Freeze hazard that also inflicts the Hobbled affliction on anyone it touches. (Reflexes)

I don't remember exactly the conversation after that, but I think it was said that there will be utility wizard spells, but not very much.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

SunAndSpring posted:

Virtually none. They were never really a focus of the IE games and they weren't for us either.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Well, poo poo, now I can't do useless wizard bullshit like summon flowers or change the color of my pants without using dye. Now what do I do? Throw fireballs at people? That's barbaric.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

rope kid posted:

Virtually none. They were never really a focus of the IE games and they weren't for us either.
Does the game have any mechanics similar to 4e rituals?

Which is like "wizard bullshit" except more useful and minus the wizard

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Has any kind of release date been given outside of a generic winter 2014?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I like the more ornate style UI for things like inventory/character sheets, but when it comes to moment to moment gameplay I like minimalist UI that gets the hell out of the way and lets me see as much of the screen as possible.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Jackard posted:

Does the game have any mechanics similar to 4e rituals?

Which is like "wizard bullshit" except more useful and minus the wizard
Not exactly, but our scripted interactions allow for more unusual types of interactions via attributes and skills (climbing walls, swimming around, deciphering arcane markings). For long-term minor bonuses, we have food items and inn/stronghold bonuses. Resting out in the wild doesn't grant any special bonuses. If you rest at an inn or at your stronghold, you can select from different types of long-term bonuses based on the room (in an inn) or the stronghold upgrades you've purchased.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Spikeguy posted:

No.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Spikeguy posted:

Late winter 2014.

It'll be delayed, though.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

rope kid posted:

Not exactly, but our scripted interactions allow for more unusual types of interactions via attributes and skills (climbing walls, swimming around, deciphering arcane markings). For long-term minor bonuses, we have food items and inn/stronghold bonuses. Resting out in the wild doesn't grant any special bonuses. If you rest at an inn or at your stronghold, you can select from different types of long-term bonuses based on the room (in an inn) or the stronghold upgrades you've purchased.

Can you go into the food items at all? Will they be detailed items (Aedyr Cheese, Eir Glanfath Ale, Drywood Troll Jerky)? Are there bonuses for eating higher quality foods? Do they give buffs at all?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Spikeguy posted:

Due to issues with Paradox development will cease Summer 2014 but the game is not expected to be released until Spring 2016 soonest.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Gyshall posted:

Can you go into the food items at all? Will they be detailed items (Aedyr Cheese, Eir Glanfath Ale, Drywood Troll Jerky)? Are there bonuses for eating higher quality foods? Do they give buffs at all?
The base food items are very straightforward (e.g. cheese, cocoa, egg, fruits, meat, etc.). The recipe foods (that you typically have to craft) have more specific names and give more/longer bonuses.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

rope kid posted:

The base food items are very straightforward (e.g. cheese, cocoa, egg, fruits, meat, etc.). The recipe foods (that you typically have to craft) have more specific names and give more/longer bonuses.

Will those recipes be included in the Tim Cain cookbook?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Will those recipes be included in the Tim Cain cookbook?
Yes.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
That all sounds awesome. Thanks rope kid (and Tim Cain)

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

rope kid posted:

So If I have built/repaired the forum and the Library, I can choose if I want to get an Intellect or Lore bonus and I don't get a bonus in both skills if I rest at the Stronghold.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

rope kid posted:

BTW, I don't disagree with the desire of what the last poster wrote. A game that relied heavily on real African traditions and history would be very cool. It's also entirely outside of my knowledge base and experience. I try to incorporate elements from outside of my knowledge base when I can (e.g. in early versions of Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows, we had two Greco-African characters who spoke Yoruba and in Honest Hearts the Dead Horses spoke a mix of English, German, and Navajo) but it is completely unfamiliar territory for me and extremely slow-going. I have a degree in history focusing on early modern Europe -- specifically, witch-hunting. In school I studied Spanish, German, Latin, French, and Arabic because they all had either immediate or tangential connections to the subjects and phenomena I was learning about. On my own I've superficially studied a bunch of other Indo-European languages for familiarity, but my knowledge base is pretty heavily rooted in central/western Europe from about 1200-1800.

Revisiting this, I suppose it's not too late to add story details and so on that add a bit more African flavor to the Vailians, assuming this game is in an alpha state.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

SunAndSpring posted:

Revisiting this, I suppose it's not too late to add story details and so on that add a bit more African flavor to the Vailians, assuming this game is in an alpha state.

I think you misunderstand - rope kid's saying he doesn't want to play with African themes much because he feels he doesn't have the knowledge to do a proper job of it. It especially shouldn't be something that's shoehorned in.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

coffeetable posted:

I think you misunderstand - rope kid's saying he doesn't want to play with African themes much because he feels he doesn't have the knowledge to do a proper job of it. It especially shouldn't be something that's shoehorned in.

I suppose that's true. After all, people are a bit... sensitive relating to race, and if they gently caress up the African-influenced things, it's not going reflect well on the company.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

rope kid posted:

Are there any joke magic like a wild mage, where you could randomly get a pile of gold, or get turned into gold or summon a balor from a magic missile or cause cows to rain from the heavens?

Well, I'd assume not really, but a wild mage would be incredibly fun class to consider potential for expansion.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

rope kid posted:

For long-term minor bonuses, we have food items and inn/stronghold bonuses. Resting out in the wild doesn't grant any special bonuses. If you rest at an inn or at your stronghold, you can select from different types of long-term bonuses based on the room (in an inn) or the stronghold upgrades you've purchased.
Close enough! Sounds good.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

prometheus12345 posted:

So If I have built/repaired the forum and the Library, I can choose if I want to get an Intellect or Lore bonus and I don't get a bonus in both skills if I rest at the Stronghold.
That's the plan.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

rope kid posted:

How long do the resting bonuses last? Is it something that gets slotted in perpetuity and until you select a different set of bonuses from an inn/stronghold, or do you lose it when making camp in the wild? Cause the latter is kind of a min max trap that will make my broken head feel super anxious unless I can skip several camps because I have got to have the rested bonus no matter how small.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

SunAndSpring posted:

I suppose that's true. After all, people are a bit... sensitive relating to race, and if they gently caress up the African-influenced things, it's not going reflect well on the company.
There's an Ars Magica book for the Transylvanian Tribunal called Against the Dark. It's the only tribunal book that starts with a disclaimer about how they're not trying to offend anyone's national pride or pick one version of history as "true" over another. Even when you have done a lot of research on something, you can still piss people off.

BTW if anyone is interested in a good d20 African-styled setting, check out Nyambe from Atlas Games. I've seen people argue that it could be better, but it's clear a lot of research went into making it.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
New stretch goal - ropekid singing Jikela Emaweni as part of a Zhosa chorus

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

zedprime posted:

How long do the resting bonuses last? Is it something that gets slotted in perpetuity and until you select a different set of bonuses from an inn/stronghold, or do you lose it when making camp in the wild?
The resting bonus will last until you rest the next time, if you rest in the wild you will lose this bonus.(source)

prometheus12345 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 24, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

prometheus12345 posted:

...if you rest in the wild you will loose this bonus.

And then EVERYONE gets it, and we don't want that.

Sea Otter
Oct 9, 2012
Tim Cain seems to be able to make various dishes and I'd like to see some cultural variety in them. Now wonder how craft-able consumables would end up. Indeed, cooking feels more rooted to each life style compared with just magical potions (except, lie, that there is/are herbalist pro/s in the team). IIRC, they began to put their hands on crafting system relatively recently. I'm looking forward to an update on it although, well, as they admitted, it's not a common factor in IE games. Not sure about the stronghold…to me, NWN2 was not a great experience but now Cain is designing it...

prometheus12345 posted:

The resting bonus will last until you rest the next time, if you rest in the wild you will loose this bonus.(source)
It could just make a few areas near starting points harder, which makes me wonder if there is a mechanism which makes longer dungeons such as the Endless Paths of Od Nua harder. Maybe, "craft-able" food doesn't last long?

rope kid posted:

There's an Ars Magica book for the Transylvanian Tribunal called Against the Dark. It's the only tribunal book that starts with a disclaimer about how they're not trying to offend anyone's national pride or pick one version of history as "true" over another. Even when you have done a lot of research on something, you can still piss people off.
I think such simulations in games are much more fun than reading some common arguments in internet board. As for PoE, I'm more interested in different beliefs/ideas due to the nature of the game. Personally, I don't think FR did a good job in the pantheist dominant setting, which has some similarities to Christian-dominant Europe.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

rope kid posted:

Will the Tim Cain cookbook include recipes for dessert?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Merry Magpie posted:

You already know the answer to that question.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

rope kid posted:

What bonus does eating 1 unit of pure cocoa give you?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Shadeoses posted:

What bonus does eating 1 unit of pure cocoa give you?

Dry mouth.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What I'd like to know is if any of the recipes are non-halal :ohdear:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Merry Magpie posted:

The very first recipe is The Darkest Cookie.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

Another sighting. Up yours, minimalists. You ruin everything :rolleyes:. If only those portraits weren't wireframe.

I'm gonna guess the action bar "pops up" in combat.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
I thought that the controls were going to be more decorative/"richer"?

I definitely like the borders being used for setting visual tone more than an extra inch of grass.

This kind of thing doesnt really add any useful play area, and also manages to not add anything to the visual quality of the game:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Is that the ghostly visage of Feargus I see before me

• Locked thread