Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

deadly_pudding posted:

He's like a weird ironic mascot, though, when you start to get down to business about the character. He's literally a monster who is trying his damndest to be a human, or sometimes a bear. Even if his voice is not in and of itself supposed to be annoying, I'd contend that it's part of a full package that makes him kind of a socially unnerving person to be around.

I don't feel like he's ironic, but I see your point. I've never felt unnerved by him, but the idea that he is literally a monster manifested of like, human subconscious leads some credence to the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

KingShiro posted:

Been working through Persona 3: FES, are these 4,5, or 6 fusions worth it? I'm almost done with the game I think Ikutsuki master plan revealed.

They can be. I can't remember if unique skills (like Alice's Die for Me!, Odin's Thunder Reign, etc.) are inheritable in the base game, or just The Answer, though.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

Rie Kugimiya for Rise makes some degree of sense conceptually but dear god does it get super annoying really fast.

The decision to have Japanese Teddie voiced by a dog whistle, on the other hand, is just plain awful.
I maintain that Kappei Yamaguchi is a decent voice actor when he talks in a normal voice (See: Usopp, Sogeking or Tasuku Shinguji) without needing to go into a high-pitched falsetto.

That said, his Teddie voice is the second worst sounding vocal performance he's ever done. The absolute worst goes to his Rattrap performance.

Niel
Mar 5, 2013
Alright, I managed to finish Devil Survivor OC up to the sixth day, and I've unlocked all the paths and now I'm wondering, which path would be the best for a first run? I'm considering going for one of the paths with 8th days, but how challenging are they?

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Niel posted:

Alright, I managed to finish Devil Survivor OC up to the sixth day, and I've unlocked all the paths and now I'm wondering, which path would be the best for a first run? I'm considering going for one of the paths with 8th days, but how challenging are they?

I'd say that depends on whether you're planning on playing the game more than once or not. You said "first run", so I'm assuming you are. I'd recommend beating Yuzu's route first. It's the worst one (story-wise), but it's also the easiest. Once you've beaten the game once, beating the other routes is going to be easier and much faster. Yuzu's is one of the routes with an 8th day in Overclocked. Doing it is optional, and I wouldn't recommend doing it on the first run as it would be harder. But it really depends on whether you want to beat the game multiple times as quickly as possible or if you want it to be more challenging.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Go Naoya. It's the most satisfying of the endings and has the best 8th day.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

If you're going to skip the 8th day on your first run, don't do Yuzu's, Naoya/Kaido's or Amane's. You'd just be wasting time getting back up to that point to get more content. I think If you don't wanna do an 8th day, do either Atsuro's or Gin's. I don't remember off the top of my head who's route is easier, so toss up?

If you're willing to do an 8th day, do Yuzu's route for the reasons stated above.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Having on my first play through gone straight for the 8th day route the difficulty jump is noticeable.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ChaosArgate posted:

If you're going to skip the 8th day on your first run, don't do Yuzu's, Naoya/Kaido's or Amane's. You'd just be wasting time getting back up to that point to get more content. I think If you don't wanna do an 8th day, do either Atsuro's or Gin's. I don't remember off the top of my head who's route is easier, so toss up?

If you're willing to do an 8th day, do Yuzu's route for the reasons stated above.
Gin's is harder, as you have to beat the final boss with no demons.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Go Naoya. It's the most satisfying of the endings and has the best 8th day.

I didn't play Overclocked, but in the basic game it WAS really satisfying. I went for it in my first game and didn't have any serious trouble, so I don't think that changed.

Yuzu's route is just running away, everybody says you should do it first because it's the easiest, I say do what feels right. First time you're playing for the plot, after all.

Even if you have difficulties, I don't think you can screw yourself out from being able to train in free battles by saving too late, so you can't get stuck. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, though.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Nate RFB posted:

Gin's is harder, as you have to beat the final boss with no demons.

While that's true, the boss is weakened to make it not total bullshit. I honestly think I had an easier time with that than trying to catch Naoya at the start of Atsuro's route, but that might be more tedium than difficulty.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

ChaosArgate posted:

While that's true, the boss is weakened to make it not total bullshit. I honestly think I had an easier time with that than trying to catch Naoya at the start of Atsuro's route, but that might be more tedium than difficulty.

On the other hand, Gin's route has Jezebel instead of Naoya, which is just a pain.

Niel
Mar 5, 2013
Hmm, I just have a few more questions about DeSu OC.

Should I be going for the Drain, or the Repel skills for patching up weaknesses?

And also, is there any way to get money easily, before NG+? I keep feeling like I have to invest a lot (i.e. spend a lot of time Free Battling for macca) into fusing demons just for one team, let alone four of them. I suppose as long as the demons aren't unique, I could just summon some copies, but that also costs a lot of money too..

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If I remember correctly, Repel is the only one that stops Pierce and is therefore better than Drain. Though I might be thinking of SMTIV.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Niel posted:

Hmm, I just have a few more questions about DeSu OC.

Should I be going for the Drain, or the Repel skills for patching up weaknesses?

And also, is there any way to get money easily, before NG+? I keep feeling like I have to invest a lot (i.e. spend a lot of time Free Battling for macca) into fusing demons just for one team, let alone four of them. I suppose as long as the demons aren't unique, I could just summon some copies, but that also costs a lot of money too..

Repel is considered better because it's the only thing pierce can't hit through.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I thought Pierce only applied to physical attacks.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hunt11 posted:

I thought Pierce only applied to physical attacks.

There are elemental attacks with Pierce in SMT IV, though I don't think there are any in Devil Survivor.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
What's better for Yukiko, an Ice Suppressor or a Snow Pin?

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009

BearDrivingTruck posted:

What's better for Yukiko, an Ice Suppressor or a Snow Pin?

Ice Suppressor. The pins do not actually negate weakness.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'd just go with a fire damage boost over either to be honest.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I think there was someone who wanted to see those unused Persona 4 portraits, so there you go. All nine of them, that I know of. (I'm pretty sure that flat Teddie one doesn't show up, but I could be wrong...) Those pages are now mostly done; all I need to do is get the rest of the unused Social Link clips and boss dialogue and I will have exhausted all that I know exists in there.

Also, bonus: guess how many voice clips in the main storyline were changed and re-recorded from Persona 3 to Persona 3 FES.

You'll never guess how many and which.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Color Printer posted:

I think there was someone who wanted to see those unused Persona 4 portraits, so there you go. All nine of them, that I know of. (I'm pretty sure that flat Teddie one doesn't show up, but I could be wrong...) Those pages are now mostly done; all I need to do is get the rest of the unused Social Link clips and boss dialogue and I will have exhausted all that I know exists in there.

Also, bonus: guess how many voice clips in the main storyline were changed and re-recorded from Persona 3 to Persona 3 FES.

I always like seeing removed things or little dev messages in games, so this is fascinating to see!

Beta Dojima's 1st portrait is pretty :stare:.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Booky posted:

I always like seeing removed things or little dev messages in games, so this is fascinating to see!

Beta Dojima's 1st portrait is pretty :stare:.

It gets even more :stare: when you know he was originally intended to be the killer.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

It gets even more :stare: when you know he was originally intended to be the killer.

This would have been way better. Especially with those portraits, that's terrifying.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

The_Frag_Man posted:

This would have been way better. Especially with those portraits, that's terrifying.

Depends on if you can take the scenario of his first victim likely being his own wife. Gives a whole new reason as to why he never found that car.:(

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Crabtree posted:

Depends on if you can take the scenario of his first victim likely being his own wife. Gives a whole new reason as to why he never found that car.:(
I was thinking that if they did stick with that concept that Nametame and Yamano were the ones that ran Mrs. Dojima over and Izanami was giving Dojima a chance at revenge that ends up backfiring on him when Nametame kidnaps Nanako. I still think that would have been cool and a real gut-punch but it really would be too dark for an otherwise upbeat game so I can understand why they scrapped it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Color Printer posted:

Some of those "This is a bug" lines are fantastic.

Especially K-k-k-kanji Breaker!

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I'm about 25 hours into Devil Survivor and I'm on Day 6, but I'm only about level 42. Do the final two days throw a lot more stuff at you, or am I looking at a ton of grinding to prepare for the endgame? It feels like there's a ton more stuff to do, but I'm guessing most of that's locked off on other routes, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I'm about 25 hours into Devil Survivor and I'm on Day 6, but I'm only about level 42. Do the final two days throw a lot more stuff at you, or am I looking at a ton of grinding to prepare for the endgame? It feels like there's a ton more stuff to do, but I'm guessing most of that's locked off on other routes, right?

Each successive day is kind of longer than the last and experience gain ramps up a lot. It's determined by your levels. (In fact one of the NG+ options is to turn off the experience scaling.)

You really don't need to grind. Skill setup is more important.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

You only need to grind if you want to take on the optional bosses, and even then, the best grinding spot is one of them (Lucifer). And there aren't that much of a difference between the different routes aside of plot related ones, barring Yuzu's route you have access to all the optional content on every route.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

On the subject of DS Overclocked, I just (on my 3rd attempt) beat Beldr. I loved the imagery of a little noodle-armed anime emo boy beating a giant armored demon with pathetic awkward bats with a cellphone strap (hooray for 8 STR!).

Also looking forward to more adventures in chasing every other named character around Tokyo ineffectively trying to convince them to not ruin everything.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

From what I remember, that boss was THE major pain in the butt early game. It's not that the game becomes a cakewalk after him, but it will not demand that you use a specific stat/ability on a specific person.

I think I gave up and gave the protagonist a couple of points in Str. Later it was only useful for skills with two-stat requirements.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Aithon posted:

From what I remember, Beldr was THE major pain in the butt early game. It's not that the game becomes a cakewalk after him, but it will not demand that you use a specific stat/ability on a specific person.

I think I gave up and gave the protagonist a couple of points in Str. Later it was only useful for skills with two-stat requirements.

Hey, for future reference, Strength does not affect at all the damage you do. It's tied solely to level. :v:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Then what the gently caress does Strength do in Overclocked? Is it just for physical skills?

e: Ah, that makes sense. \/\/\/

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

MrAristocrates posted:

Then what the gently caress does Strength do in Overclocked?

Maybe I should clarify. It doesn't affect the damage the MC does to that one particular boss.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
No. It affects damage normally; it just doesn't matter for that fight.

e;beaten.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Well that's handy I suppose. I was doing about 80-85 a hit with Blitzkreig on at Level 28, while the guide on gamefaqs said to expect 90-100 at level 26. Who cares, I got it done.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Well, that's good to know. I did think the damage was high compared to how unbearable I thought it would be, but I thought I just put enough points in. On my mage build.
:suicide:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Aithon posted:

Well, that's good to know. I did think the damage was high compared to how unbearable I thought it would be, but I thought I just put enough points in. On my mage build.
:suicide:

The thing is you want strength on a mage build because the most useful attack for dealing with late game bosses requires having 10 strength as without holy damage certain bosses are all but unbeatable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

On a related note, when do you start locking in which ending/Day 8 you are doing? I am looking to go with Yuzu's route for my first run, both because I like her and I have heard it mentioned here as the best one for beginners, and am wondering when I need to start worrying about qualifying/locking out of specific endings. I've always been very pro-her ideas in dialogue choices and such, and always watch her scenes when she comes up on the map, do I need to do anything else?