Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The new game's up for preorder now with some new screenshots.

I love this but I wonder if you can have some variation with multiple playthroughs with different items or it'll just have very specific strategies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The camera alone will probably be able to handle almost every spell. Unless ZUN nerfs the hell out of it anyways.

I hope the extra stage this time is a rush of all the people Seija stole stuff from. They don't even care she caused DDC, they just want their poo poo back.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Here's the deal:

You get a free wish. But from that point on all music you ever hear is replaced with touhou horns.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'd wish for no touhou horns

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

I usually don't really mind the iconic horn and trumpet samples ZUN uses but that's unnecessarily cruel.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

I loving love ZUN trumpets, give me my wish. :allears:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Does anybody know if ZUN trumpets have been used outside of Touhou? If they haven't, someone needs to get on that immediately.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Hedera Helix posted:

Does anybody know if ZUN trumpets have been used outside of Touhou? If they haven't, someone needs to get on that immediately.

I dunno, Gen 3 of Pokemon?

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

They even sound like they're going ZUN :neckbeard:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

ZUN trumpets are the best.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Volt Catfish posted:

I dunno, Gen 3 of Pokemon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlVV44BA968

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Not sure how many people in this thread are going to Reitaisai, but I figured I'd post about this: http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=43158918

The guy who made the Touhou Peanuts comics is releasing a compilation (260ish pages), but instead of using a combination of machine translation and his own guesses, he's asked me to edit/translate all of the old strips and most of the new ones, so it's more or less readable even if you don't know Japanese.

And if you're not going but still want it, PM me or something and I can hook you up, provided you have Paypal.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

leather fedora posted:

And if you're not going but still want it, PM me or something and I can hook you up, provided you have Paypal.

Are we talking physical or digital copies here? Because I'd be more than willing to pay for shipping. Wish you could do a Danbooru-style proper translation next to his broken English (at least early on)- a surprising part of the fun for me is seeing how Chamupei's English has improved.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
Yes, I'm talking physical copies. I can't really give an estimate right now since he hasn't said how much it will cost, but I'm guessing $25-30 shipped?

Yeah, I guess it loses that interesting little novelty though.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

youkai can be pretty freaky looking

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Apparently ZUN just tweeted that his wife is taking maternity leave, ie: he's having a baby. Is that on topic? I don't know, but I think it's cool. Also ZUN is Touhou to some extent so I don't doubt that having a baby will influence him and the series in some way.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
ZUN is going to name his newborn baby after a touhou.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

In the greatest of all ironies, ZUN's first child will be a boy.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Does the focus shot for Reimu A in DDC do more or less damage than the normal shot? It should be more damaging like most focus shots (except... Youmu in TD?), but it doesn't really feel that way.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The focused shot does a bit more damage than the unfocused shot, enough that I shaved off two or so seconds per pattern on mid-boss Sekibanki. It's not such a substantial increase in damage, but spread shots and homing shots are always weaker than narrow shots.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Decoy Badger posted:

It should be more damaging like most focus shots (except... Youmu in TD?), but it doesn't really feel that way.

Youmu's charge slash was crazy powerful, what are you talking about? Maybe you're thinking of TD Marisa, who is pretty much the worst as far as "is my focus shot actually doing more damage" goes.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

a cartoon duck posted:

The focused shot does a bit more damage than the unfocused shot, enough that I shaved off two or so seconds per pattern on mid-boss Sekibanki. It's not such a substantial increase in damage, but spread shots and homing shots are always weaker than narrow shots.

You can also cheese it and tap shift so that you release a few amulets without resetting the gohei. It's not a lot of extra damage, but it helps.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

BlitzBlast posted:

Youmu's charge slash was crazy powerful, what are you talking about? Maybe you're thinking of TD Marisa, who is pretty much the worst as far as "is my focus shot actually doing more damage" goes.

Youmu's focus attack did tons of burst damage. For anything that didn't die in one slash and you and hit with all your bullets, Youmu's unfocus attack did more damage. Of course, for a lot of boss fights it isn't feasible to pull off.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

If this was touhou I'd buy it.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

leather fedora posted:

Not sure how many people in this thread are going to Reitaisai, but I figured I'd post about this: http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=43158918

The guy who made the Touhou Peanuts comics is releasing a compilation (260ish pages), but instead of using a combination of machine translation and his own guesses, he's asked me to edit/translate all of the old strips and most of the new ones, so it's more or less readable even if you don't know Japanese.

Did he have any problem with copyrights? I know ZUN doesn't give a crap, but I'd imagine Mr. Schulz's estate feels differently.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Al Borland posted:

If this was touhou I'd buy it.

Seems like Zun's art style.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"

SirPhoebos posted:

Did he have any problem with copyrights? I know ZUN doesn't give a crap, but I'd imagine Mr. Schulz's estate feels differently.
He actually had a hard time finding a print shop willing to take the risk when he was trying to get the first book made. He's tried to remain as under-the-radar as possible by not selling his stuff in doujin stores and the like, and keeps talking how each book could be his last, haha.

Still, if he's made it this far, either the higher-ups don't know or they don't care.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Speaking of copyrights, some Canadians are trying to Kickstart a Touhou card game, and I seriously doubt they have ZUN's permission or are going to give him a dime. It's a pity, since the artwork looks really good and I want that Reimu playmat in particular, but I don't want to support this kind of behavior, especially since they seem to be using Touhou to promote their "GS System", whatever that is.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Konstantin posted:

Speaking of copyrights, some Canadians are trying to Kickstart a Touhou card game, and I seriously doubt they have ZUN's permission or are going to give him a dime. It's a pity, since the artwork looks really good and I want that Reimu playmat in particular, but I don't want to support this kind of behavior, especially since they seem to be using Touhou to promote their "GS System", whatever that is.

ZUN has an open license to sell doujin stuff, including card games, translated here. I mean, there are plenty of other Touhou card games already. His limitations are basically: nothing that breaks obscenity laws, no 2D animation, and nothing "for sale in commercial channels". The last one is probably the hardest to stay within because unless you live in Japan and only sell things at Comiket, the line becomes blurry very quickly. However, the Kickstarter you linked specifically said they won't be selling it through any distributor (presumably you would just order it from their website or buy it at conventions), which seems to fall within his guidelines. He recommends citing him as the original creator (which they do) and doesn't ask for any money. Heck, I'm 100% sure that he would refuse money and find it insulting. He's a big proponent of doujin culture after all.

So even if this isn't for sale at Comiket, I think it falls within his open license, both spiritually and legally. I wouldn't feel guilty about supporting it for those reasons. Maybe other reasons.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 5, 2014

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I feel like a theoretical Touhou card game could get a lot more mileage and coolness-factor out of adapting the actual canon spellcard system into a TCG.

You activated my Virtue of Wind God. Everyone loving dies.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Rumbling Spell Orchestra has spellcards as creature/land hybrids. Basically you choose a character as your "leader" and then create a deck out of their spellcards. Each spell has a hit value, each character has a dodge value, and then there's a fuckton of modifiers like "spread" and "focus" and "homing" and "piercing" and "faith' that affect hit and dodge in various ways. It's really mathy and a bit annoying to play. Also it has the characters' theme songs as "Scene Support" cards.

It's been getting new expansion sets almost every year since 2006.

Edit: Apparently it doesn't have "Virtue of the Wind God" though. It just has the Easy/Normal version, "Mountain of Faith".

Clarste fucked around with this message at 09:53 on May 5, 2014

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

This is a thing.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Yeah gotta steal all those anime nerds from all those

other

granola bar brands

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

If anyone asks, Nature Valley is my granola bar of choice. Pretty soon they'll be having Reimu on the cover and everything.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
As a young person, such adroit use of social media demonstrates to me that Nature Valley are, without a doubt, "hip to my jive". Very radical.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Is there any context to this or did they just randomly start posting pictures of anime characters?

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Clarste posted:

Is there any context to this or did they just randomly start posting pictures of anime characters?

As far as I understand it, someone tweeted at them about something anime-related, thinking that they'd either give some BS answer or not understand, only to have them give a legitimate response to the tweet, which then led to other people tweeting anime stuff at them and eventually to photoshops of anime characters holding the granola bars.

[EDIT] Here's the ANN article about it: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2014-04-30/start-your-day-off-right-with-some-granola-bar-social-media-fun

VVVV Yeah, there's no guarantee that the person who is answering the tweets actually knows what they're talking about, but they apparently at least can come off as if they do.

Copycat Zero fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 8, 2014

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Copycat Zero posted:

As far as I understand it, someone tweeted at them about something anime-related, thinking that they'd either give some BS answer or not understand, only to have them give a legitimate response to the tweet, which then led to other people tweeting anime stuff at them and eventually to photoshops of anime characters holding the granola bars.

I see they have mastered the art of googling things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Like I said, pretty soon they'll be putting Reimu on the cover and everything.