Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
Stupid thought of the day:

Has anyone put 00 Raiser and Wing Zero in the same squad?

...Does the game crash if you try to split them?

Stupider thought of the day:

I really want to teach Zero the support attack skill so I can have 00 and WZero supported by Zero with the custom BGM being Zero ゼロ from Aquarion Evol.

e: Stupidest thought of the day. How awesome would it be if Z3-2 brought in Rockman X and Zero so I could have the fabled 00 Qan[T]-Wing Zero Custom unit backed up by Zero-Zero and playing Zero ゼロ, and then I had Gundam X-Turn X backed up by X and Xabungle while X Gon Give It To Ya plays :psypop:

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

vibratingsheep posted:

Stupid thought of the day:

Has anyone put 00 Raiser and Wing Zero in the same squad?

...Does the game crash if you try to split them?

Stupider thought of the day:

I really want to teach Zero the support attack skill so I can have 00 and WZero supported by Zero with the custom BGM being Zero ゼロ from Aquarion Evol.

I kept Heero and Setsuna together the entire game. They make an almost mechanically perfect team.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Plenty of people have, they actually work really well together.

And 2(0)/W0 isn't dividing by zero because the Wing mostly shoots things. :colbert:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I put support attack (covering attack? argh I forget which is which) on a ton pilots early the game for no super good reason. It's just nice for it to be there.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ImpAtom posted:

I kept Heero and Setsuna together the entire game. They make an almost mechanically perfect team.

Neither has Accel, unacceptable pairing, every squad must have Accel at all times. And every pilot must know Dash.

Gotta go fast.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Neither has Accel, unacceptable pairing, every squad must have Accel at all times. And every pilot must know Dash.

Gotta go fast.

What he said!

Heero doesn't need it that much as he's always sniping and moving with Hit & Away but Setsuna's all about going :flashfact: and getting into the enemy's face.

Didn't Heero know Accel in Z2, though?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

Gotta go fast.

Neither needs Accel considering Setsuna has a cheap move again and natural SP regen boosts and Heero has a hilarious ammo-based post-move attack.

Maybe for your first move of the stage but, welp, Zechs.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So it's gonna be awhile before I get to Z3 (its behind both Z2s and a bunch of other Vita games I have to play), but what pairs do people suggest aside from that 00 Raiser/Wing Zero Custom deal?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

So it's gonna be awhile before I get to Z3 (its behind both Z2s and a bunch of other Vita games I have to play), but what pairs do people suggest aside from that 00 Raiser/Wing Zero Custom deal?

If you absolutely want to shatter the game, Kallen and Zero. Kallen has a fantastic post-move MAP attack that makes it very easy to chain together Bonus Steps. Zero has a crazy loving good MAP attack that isn't post-move but you can easily use Kallen to get into position for. Swap between the two (and give them D-Trader items for good measure) and they can wreck entire stages without difficulty.

Shinn and Kira, amusingly, also make a good pair. Kira has a good ALL attack, basically gets ally-friendly Seventh Swell as a MAP attack and has a strong support attack, Shinn has a great single-target attack and Accel.

I actually had really good luck early on with Amuro in Delta Plus and Riddhe in either e ReGZ or ReZEL. Riddhe's solid squadmate material (and begins with Accel) while Amuro in Delta Plus is basically a god until whatever point you get him Nu Gundam.

Gimmy and Darry are insanely good together. Their Ace bonuses give them a huge huge boost to their stats when in the same squad together and their units are natural 2L so they do huge damage. They also have a combo attack.

Gamlin is basically the single best choice of squadmate for Basara. Both Basara and Gamlin have the spell that gives a morale boost to both members of the squad so Basara can hit 150/170 morale on Turn-1 without effort. You'll usually be using Basara to buff (since he lost some of the guys he could attack) but if you need to attack they get the Dynamite Explosion combo attack back.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 25, 2014

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Brunom1 posted:

What he said!

Heero doesn't need it that much as he's always sniping and moving with Hit & Away but Setsuna's all about going :flashfact: and getting into the enemy's face.

Didn't Heero know Accel in Z2, though?

I watched Z3 melt down entirely to Heero and Aoi in the same squad for a large chunk of the game. Aoi would open the stage by casting Spirit+ until she ran dry, then would chug a bunch of SP consumables and repeat the process until the pair were sitting on 150 morale, with the last of her SP used for accelerate. From there, it's just a case of Heero prancing around MAPing everything into piles of slag and continually giving yourself more actions with tag points or whatever. Late game, you can toss Aoi for someone else (like Setsuna) as Heero will have drive to amp himself up with. Toss in B-save and Quattre for resupply and a lot of maps are getting finished on turn 1.

I guess Kallen is about equally as bunk if not moreso, but jesus, I've never seen a SRW title cleared so fast.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kallen is even more broken largely because her MAP weapon is EN-based instead of ammo based, which gives you more shots and means that you can use a D-Trader item to get it refreshed every single round. It hits fewer enemies unfortunately but you can chain it longer basically.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
How do you get the Skill Point in Stage 4? I've tried to follow the instructions twice now and still haven't gotten it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

How do you get the Skill Point in Stage 4? I've tried to follow the instructions twice now and still haven't gotten it.

Get him down to low health. Get a pilot with a lot of damage to Maximum Break status. Make sure the Genion is as close to the Ghoul as possible but hasn't used its action yet. Have whoever has Maximum Break use it on the Ghoul and have Hibiki support with the strongest attack you have available. You should have no problem.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Get him down to low health. Get a pilot with a lot of damage to Maximum Break status. Make sure the Genion is as close to the Ghoul as possible but hasn't used its action yet. Have whoever has Maximum Break use it on the Ghoul and have Hibiki support with the strongest attack you have available. You should have no problem.

To be more specific, he retreats if his HP goes under 6000. Akurasu has most of the battle masteries I think.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Stupid mechanics question: in the team screen where you build your pairs, is there a way to "disband" a unit? I have a few that have red "X Pilot" messages but I don't know how to remove that team from the board. I've played around but I can't find a command that does it.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The team building screen shows every unit with or without a pilot. Just move the units that don't have pilots to the bottom of the screen out of the teams that will deploy next game.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Ethiser posted:

The team building screen shows every unit with or without a pilot. Just move the units that don't have pilots to the bottom of the screen out of the teams that will deploy next game.

That's what I've been doing, I had just hoped there was a "pool" you could return units to. If that's the case, I can live with it.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
I don't know why, but something about the whole instant memory-wiping thing bothers me way more than it should.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Two new BGMs today:

Gunbuster's other theme, when standing atop poo poo with its arms crossed!

I guess this is an original event theme?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

I guess this is an original event theme?
Yeah, I've heard it play in various "Event" videos, like berserk Banagher during the NT-D event and fighting Mykage in Paradigm City just before Big Venus appears. Seems to be the "poo poo Gets Serious"TM theme for the game.

Granted, with a name like "Midnight Baby", you'd expect a calm jazz theme or something along those lines.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
That's been the "BAD THINGS ARE HAPPENING" music for as long as I can remember

There's a really cool theme that plays in Z3 right when good things are about to happen/are happening but it's not a selectable combat BGM, which made me really sad. It doesn't come up a lot either.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ImpAtom posted:

Thanks! That did the trick.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

More Z3 BGMs:

Remix of the original Aquarion's theme, for the EVOL finale.

Ending theme of the Gurren Lagann movie.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Hey that isn't a custom BGM then.

That's nice, I thought I was going to have to hunt it down from the internet.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Just cleared the game. Overall, pretty good and so forth. Kinda really curious to see where they go in the second part now, they set up a lot of dangling plot threads to be resolved, and people are expecting all sorts of poo poo to happen in Z3.2 now due to the preview scenes. Pretty excited for that.

How long after Z2.1 was released was the date for Z2.2 announced?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I'd expect an announcement soon after Unicorn 7 airs.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Infinity Gaia posted:

Just cleared the game. Overall, pretty good and so forth. Kinda really curious to see where they go in the second part now, they set up a lot of dangling plot threads to be resolved, and people are expecting all sorts of poo poo to happen in Z3.2 now due to the preview scenes. Pretty excited for that.

How long after Z2.1 was released was the date for Z2.2 announced?
My best bet is to keep a eye out for Z3.2 stuff once the summer months hit (e.g., roughly from June to August). They tend to announce titles when they roughly hit the 70% completion mark, and the remaining parts would mostly be, as BlitzBlast mentioned, whatever stuff from Unicorn episode 7 they have to add in (VA dialogue and plot), and finishing up everything else.

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

My best bet is to keep a eye out for Z3.2 stuff once the summer months hit (e.g., roughly from June to August). They tend to announce titles when they roughly hit the 70% completion mark, and the remaining parts would mostly be, as BlitzBlast mentioned, whatever stuff from Unicorn episode 7 they have to add in (VA dialogue and plot), and finishing up everything else.

Well, unless they want to do the last Rebuild film, anyways. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Then we won't see SRWZ3.2 until the Playstation 5.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Banpresto will just make up an ending to Rebuild themselves, 50/50 chance on it being better than the ending Gainax actually gives us.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Z3 just seems so weird to me, Like, Z1 had a pretty solid overarching 'post-apocalyptic frontier world crashes into neo-space-future and everyone must learn to get along' thing that most of the shows fit in, Z2 was very much focused on rebellion and mercenaries and THE MAN being universally your enemy. But what is even happening in this one? I'm not seeing the theme here. Everything is very all over the place for the main plot-centric shows...unless that in itself is a theme, given that the plot is largely driven by a dude trololing and waving his magic sphere to turn the earth into a mess.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gyra_Solune posted:

Z3 just seems so weird to me, Like, Z1 had a pretty solid overarching 'post-apocalyptic frontier world crashes into neo-space-future and everyone must learn to get along' thing that most of the shows fit in, Z2 was very much focused on rebellion and mercenaries and THE MAN being universally your enemy. But what is even happening in this one? I'm not seeing the theme here. Everything is very all over the place for the main plot-centric shows...unless that in itself is a theme, given that the plot is largely driven by a dude trololing and waving his magic sphere to turn the earth into a mess.

The theme of this one is past experiences and memories and how they influence who you are and what you do. That is why the two of the core shows are Aquarion Evol and Gundam Unicorn and why stuff like Big O gets a gigantic plot push and why a part of the big push is Gurren-Lagann with its "you have to keep moving on and building from your past experiences to a new future" as a core theme.

It's really well emphasized too and they make full use of shows like Big O and VOTOMs to drive the point home because those shows are helluva about how your past influences your future and how your memories are a part of who you are. It's also why Char and his "Will he or won't he" antics are such a core part of the plot because Char going full CCA and dropping Axis for his canonical reasons would be the ultimate failure in terms of this story.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 26, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Brunom1 posted:

More Z3 BGMs:

Remix of the original Aquarion's theme, for the EVOL finale.

Ending theme of the Gurren Lagann movie.

I like the Gurren Lagann theme but it sounds way too much like Reason from Seed Destiny.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Man I just got Sirocco's final (?) attack with the cockpit dynamic kill, and this one is really on a whole different level than the rest of the animations in the game. Really makes up for him being pretty plain for the first two-thirds of the game.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Rascyc posted:

Man I just got Sirocco's final (?) attack with the cockpit dynamic kill, and this one is really on a whole different level than the rest of the animations in the game. Really makes up for him being pretty plain for the first two-thirds of the game.

...Chirico, right? I'm pretty sure Paptimus isn't in this game.

Also, though I haven't seen EVOL so I can't speak for its accuracy, that version of Genesis of Love is horrible.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah I was about to say, I'm still expecting some surprises in this game but an alive and non-evil Sirocco from another dimension showing up and becoming an ally is not what I expected.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah I was about to say, I'm still expecting some surprises in this game but an alive and non-evil Sirocco from another dimension showing up and becoming an ally is not what I expected.

The secret is that Roger Smith is actually Scirocco's reincarnation.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The secret is that Roger Smith is actually Scirocco's reincarnation.

Which would make Sarah Dorothy and that's just unpleasant. At the same time, Beck is totally Katz.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Now I want to see a gimmick game where they change all the plots to make the usual enemies into the good guys and have you control them.

The noble army of Zeon combines forces with noted freedom fighter Dr. Hell to defeat the evil Earth Federation and free Japan from the iron fisted tyranny of Mazinger Z and Getter Robo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ethiser posted:

Now I want to see a gimmick game where they change all the plots to make the usual enemies into the good guys and have you control them.

The noble army of Zeon combines forces with noted freedom fighter Dr. Hell to defeat the evil Earth Federation and free Japan from the iron fisted tyranny of Mazinger Z and Getter Robo.
All enemy units have a seishin list even though they never use them, I always assumed it was for this kind of scenario someday. I've been playing the series for more than ten years and am still waiting for it...

edit: Kouji just became my first ace, that's rare. I guess it's from having the full power photon beam from the beginning. Noriko's right behind him though.

edit: speaking of Noriko, should I bite the bullet and just buy this, or is there a sign that either Gunbuster or Diebuster will EVER get the bluray treatment?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Apr 27, 2014

• Locked thread