Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

berzerkmonkey posted:

Or this - I picked up a few cans of the Army Painter sprays, and, while pricey, they are pretty drat awesome.

Liquitex Professional spray paints are certified Good poo poo.

http://www.liquitex.com/spraypaintfeatures/
http://www.liquitex.com/uploadedFiles/COL%203175.5%20Colour%20Chart%20Leaflet_Web%20version(3).pdf

You can even spray this poo poo inside, no big deal.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
The thing that concerns me about the Liquitex (and Minitaire, for that matter) is that you don't have a matching color you can brush on when you inevitably overpaint something you shouldn't have.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
In case anybody was wondering if GW's new tools were fairly priced:

http://tomschadleminiatures.blogspot.com/2014/04/games-workshop-has-recently-advertised.html

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Hahaha that's brilliant.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Its worth noting that the mold line remover doesn't have any blade to speak of. So a convex hobby knife isn't a like for like replacement.

I would never pay for it because its overpriced but the GW mold line thing is pretty nice, it has no blade, just a hard edge that scrapes off mold lines. I like using it, because I know I can go at the mold lines pretty mindlessly without worrying about an exacto knife cutting into details or marking the model in some way.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Stinky Pit posted:

Its worth noting that the mold line remover doesn't have any blade to speak of. So a convex hobby knife isn't a like for like replacement.

I would never pay for it because its overpriced but the GW mold line thing is pretty nice, it has no blade, just a hard edge that scrapes off mold lines. I like using it, because I know I can go at the mold lines pretty mindlessly without worrying about an exacto knife cutting into details or marking the model in some way.

Cant you just use the back of an hobby knife blade?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

SRM posted:

I've been chomping at the bit for Forgeworld to come out with Guilliman to see your take on him!

Sorry to play the pedant, but this is a pet peeve of mine. The phrase is champing at the bit. And no I don't care that language evolves, and that chomp essentially means the same as champ; champ came first, it is the correct phrase, so there :cheeky: OK, I'm good now...

berzerkmonkey posted:

The thing that concerns me about the Liquitex (and Minitaire, for that matter) is that you don't have a matching color you can brush on when you inevitably overpaint something you shouldn't have.

Just spray into a cup for 3-5 seconds to get the tiny amount of paint you need for touch-ups. No biggie.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

dexefiend posted:

Cant you just use the back of an hobby knife blade?

For a lot of things yes but you still have to pay attention you wont nick or mark the model, especially in tight places. I won one of the old ones at my LGS along with this little brush and while I didn't think much of it I tried it one day and found I really liked it.

Its still a hilariously overpriced joke but I was just pointing out that I couldn't get the same functionality out of a convex hobby knife that I have gotten out of this thing.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Indolent Bastard posted:

Sorry to play the pedant, but this is a pet peeve of mine. The phrase is champing at the bit. And no I don't care that language evolves, and that chomp essentially means the same as champ; champ came first, it is the correct phrase, so there :cheeky: OK, I'm good now...
I am champion of the bit, I tell you what.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Testors dullcote liquid is next to impossible to find in the UK it seems, does anyone have any other recommendations for a matte varnish that can be fired through an airbrush with minimal effort?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Skarsnik posted:

Testors dullcote liquid is next to impossible to find in the UK it seems, does anyone have any other recommendations for a matte varnish that can be fired through an airbrush with minimal effort?

Liquitex matte varnish thinned down with matte medium seems to work well for some, I think, but I haven't tried this yet. I've tried some of the Vallejo and Badger matte varnishes and haven't gotten the same look as Dullcote yet, need to experiment a bit more.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Liquitex matte varnish thinned down with matte medium seems to work well for some, I think, but I haven't tried this yet. I've tried some of the Vallejo and Badger matte varnishes and haven't gotten the same look as Dullcote yet, need to experiment a bit more.

You shouldn't need to thin Liquitex matte varnish. They say not to on their website and I haven't had to.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

this stuff right?

http://www.artsupplies.co.uk/item-liquitex-matte-varnish-flexible-surface.htm

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
If spray cans are ok for you, Tamiya do a decent spray matte varnish.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Yes.

Pour into your airbrush, set the correct pressure and spray.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Indolent Bastard posted:

I like how the very page you posted links "chomp" as variant :v:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Indolent Bastard posted:

Yes.

Pour into your airbrush, set the correct pressure and spray.

Lovely, thanks to both of you

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Pierzak posted:

I like how the very page you posted links "chomp" as variant :v:

Yes but it is a Johhny-come-lately bullshit variant that deserves nothing but hatred and derision.

KING OV HELL
Apr 2, 2014
I've been wanting to get a finer airbrush for doing stuff a little more detailed than just base coats and what not. Should I get the Krome or the patriot for that?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Indolent Bastard posted:

Yes but it is a Johhny-come-lately bullshit variant that deserves nothing but hatred and derision.

There are plenty of idioms to get upset about. Champing vs. chomping in an era where equestrian-centric nomenclature is all but eliminated due to practically the only people who own horses these days are throwback ranchers and rich prisses isn't necessarily some "Johnny-come-lately" thing.

On-topic: Does anyone here have a recommendation for either brush-on or indoor-safe primer applications? Portland being the city that never ceases to have rain and stupid high humidity, I'd really like an option for priming models that isn't waiting on the occasional decent day to rush out and prime 50 models so I have something to paint between decent weather days.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

koreban posted:

On-topic: Does anyone here have a recommendation for either brush-on or indoor-safe primer applications? Portland being the city that never ceases to have rain and stupid high humidity, I'd really like an option for priming models that isn't waiting on the occasional decent day to rush out and prime 50 models so I have something to paint between decent weather days.

im hardly a pro so feel free to disregard this experience, but being unable to find my spray primer I settled and tried out the Citadel Black Brush-on primer. I had picked it up originally for touchups in hard to spray areas, and it took a little getting used to (and a couple coats) but ultimately worked pretty darn well.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

koreban posted:

Airbrush primer and a spray booth. Seriously. Also the airbrush primer doubles as brush-on primer.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
I've had a lot of luck with Vallejo Surface Primer, mostly with an airbrush but also as a brush-on (for example, priming a face in white and body in black). The stuff shrinks down to the model surface with negligible loss of detail; plus it comes in comparably gigantic bottles, so you'll probably never run out unless you paint whole armies in one go. It's great!

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

berzerkmonkey posted:

You can with Minitaire, it's just thinned down. Need that color you just airbrushed? Put it on your palette. It was designed for that in mind.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Bavius posted:

You can with Minitaire, it's just thinned down. Need that color you just airbrushed? Put it on your palette. It was designed for that in mind.

That's good to know - the guy at the Badger booth at Adepticon said that you probably wouldn't get good results. Though he could have been erring on the side of "I don't want this guy coming back and raising hell because he tried to paint an army using Minitaire paints with brushes instead of an airbrush."

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Yep, I use it all the time for touch-ups and sometimes paint it on straight out of the bottle.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Indolent Bastard posted:

Just spray into a cup for 3-5 seconds to get the tiny amount of paint you need for touch-ups. No biggie.

That or a lot of the Liquitex sprays are actually matches to colors in their acrylic line. The ones that aren't are color matches with black or white added to darken/lighten them.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Hellbeard posted:

Another head sculpt practice. 1:56 scale.
This one is with a slightly different technique, it’s very rough as I’m still finding my footing but more true to scale. Maybe a little bit on the small side. Approximately 4mm tall.

Never did I dare think that I would witness a, "I'm the guy diddling your sister" face in miniature scale, but there it is. drat, son.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

koreban posted:

There are plenty of idioms to get upset about. Champing vs. chomping in an era where equestrian-centric nomenclature is all but eliminated due to practically the only people who own horses these days are throwback ranchers and rich prisses isn't necessarily some "Johnny-come-lately" thing.

Being another Portlander I feel your pain. I just airbrush all my models indoors instead of waiting for the rain to stop.

Zipline
May 9, 2013
I recently found almost all my paints are dried out despite their lids being on tight. I'm going to reconstitute them with some kind of acrylic medium as soon as Craft Warehouse has its 50% off sale on the 2nd-4th, but it occurs to me that it will probably just dry out again in a few years at most. However, what if I store them in a vacuum pouch? Has anyone tried that, getting an airless vacuum bag and putting your box of paint in there?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

big_g posted:

Actually filter is a standard artistic term and they have been used on scale models for decades (usually with oil paints). I don't know why Games Workshop decided to call their filters a glaze.

Also the Mig filter sets are brilliant.

Filter is the term scale modelers tend to use more but mini painters and wargamers tend to talk about glazes more and be talking about acrylics rather than oils. GW didn't make that up, it's been a thing people did with paints GW and otherwise for ages.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

JoshTheStampede posted:

Filter is the term scale modelers tend to use more but mini painters and wargamers tend to talk about glazes more and be talking about acrylics rather than oils. GW didn't make that up, it's been a thing people did with paints GW and otherwise for ages.

Thank you, that's pretty much what I should have said in response but I was having a snarky moment :)

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Only about 50% less than the GW offerings? poo poo, I can do better than that.

Knife: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-Instant-Change-Knife-10-788/100152150 $8.93
Replacement Knife Blades, 100: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-HD-Utility-Blades-Dispenser-100-Pack-667648/204855319 $9.82
Flush Cutters: http://www.harborfreight.com/micro-flush-cutter-90708.html $2.99
Picks, Sculpting: http://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece-pick-set-93514.html $3.99
Spades, Sculpting: http://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece-stainless-steel-carving-set-34152.html $5.99
Needle Files: http://www.harborfreight.com/12-piece-precision-needle-file-set-4614.html $3.99
Pin Vise w/Bits: http://www.amazon.com/Pit-Bull-CHIDB003-Precision-21-Piece/dp/B000VNPRNQ/ $8.98
Bonus! Jeweler's Saw w/Replacement Blades: http://www.amazon.com/Jeweler-Adjustable-Assorted-Jewelry-Sawblade/dp/B00A8RFAAA/ $9.95

Total: $54.64

Implementor
Oct 28, 2007

Would needle files like these (or the ones listed in the original link that you replied to) be appropriate for metal minis? I've seen diamond files mentioned as well, but didn't know if one was superior than the other for cleaning up metal flash and mold lines.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Implementor posted:

Would needle files like these (or the ones listed in the original link that you replied to) be appropriate for metal minis? I've seen diamond files mentioned as well, but didn't know if one was superior than the other for cleaning up metal flash and mold lines.

Diamond files are terrible for soft material. The pewter just gets smeared into the diamond grit and is nigh-on unremovable giving them a short life as a modeling tool (though they do a great job on steel).

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
So I finally decided to airbrush a model today for the first time and yeah, it didnt work out so well. For reference I am using the Badger Patriot 105 and the Nebula Red Minitaire paint. The paint came out very runny and for lack of a better word sticky.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Your paint wasn't mixed properly, your airbrush was too close to the mini and you sprayed on too much paint at once.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Slowly getting back into Warmachine and my desire to paint is finally back. Playing a completely new game system with different models is so invigorating to hit the paints again. Grabbed some Kriel Bearer's the other day and started this blind tonight with nothing really in mind when it came to a pattern.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Finally got around to putting together/painting the Imperial Bastion:

The objectives:

And everything I've painted this month:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Indolent Bastard posted:

Diamond files are terrible for soft material. The pewter just gets smeared into the diamond grit and is nigh-on unremovable giving them a short life as a modeling tool (though they do a great job on steel).

I ruined my files doing this, but I had no alternative. Eventually I went back with a razor blade and manually chiseled out every little groove filled with the pweter crap :v:

• Locked thread