Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

pik_d posted:

So enough anthrax to kill half a million people and the NYPD is still leading the case? That feels like an FBI thing to me

One would be astounded how territorial law enforcement can be.

Good episode, not so much for the mystery which was kind of lame but for the look into Sherlock's head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
This was one of those episodes where the format of the show really worked against it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It was tough coming off last week's--which I thought was great--but heck, I thought this was a really good episode too. :shobon:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I sort of knew that Garrett Dillahunt was the guy, just because it's him. I loved the B story about Alastair and how Sherlock had to come to terms with his death. The last scene just cemented that I love how refreshingly human this Sherlock Holmes is. Cumberbatch's Sherlock is almost alien, and certainly a solid portrayal, but I love Jonny Lee Miller's Sherlock with his faults and foibles, and his human emotion wrapped up in the intelligent, problem solving, curmudgeonly wrapper that is classic Holmes.

BlueFootedBoobie
Feb 15, 2005

This episode was kinda about Phillip Seymour Hoffman, right?

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

BlueFootedBoobie posted:

This episode was kinda about Phillip Seymour Hoffman, right?

Or Heath Ledger. Or any one of the many, many other people who have destroyed themselves with drugs.

BlueFootedBoobie
Feb 15, 2005

johntfs posted:

Or Heath Ledger. Or any one of the many, many other people who have destroyed themselves with drugs.

Totally, but the whole really long time lapse from when he gained sobriety then suddenly relapsed seemed a relatively close parallel.

Since the show is NY based I bet a lot of the cast knew PSH and this may have been a way of dealing with it.

Incidentally, the show was filming on my parents' block this week and my mom got to wave hi to Johnny Lee Miller.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Oh, so is his other method of trying to get Sherlock home to get Watson to go to London?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
drat, both of those people look hosed up :stare:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Well, drat. Watson getting drugged and kidnapped by the French mafia who may or may not be working with Mycroft is sure as hell one way to go for the build up for the finale. Cannot wait to see where it goes from here. :suspense:

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

The episode's mystery was kind of ridiculous but that was a hell of a way to end things.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think they used drones because it was silly enough to be a forgettable pseudo-A-plot while the more interesting B-but-actually-A-plot could simmer.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Why did Mycroft shave his awesomely horrible stache?

It'll be interesting to see how the Mycroft/Joan relationship parallels or differs from Holmes/Moriarty from last season.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Blind Pineapple posted:

Why did Mycroft shave his awesomely horrible stache?

It'll be interesting to see how the Mycroft/Joan relationship parallels or differs from Holmes/Moriarty from last season.

That's exactly what I was thinking!

Also, Mycroft wouldn't be so loving ugly if he had non-disgusting hair. Why do they want him to be so loving homely?

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Csn we sticky this for today?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Oh my god it's Thursday! :supaburn:

:siren: New Episode Tonight :siren:

Paint it Black (Directed by Lucy Liu)
Business becomes personal for Sherlock when he is forced to partner with his estranged brother, Mycroft, to solve a case with life-or-death consequences.

:ohdear: I hope Joan is okay. Also, I was very happy to see Ms. Hudson last week.

Only two more episodes this season -

Ep. 23 Art in the Blood - no description yet
Ep. 24 The Grand Experiment - (very spoilery description)Rising tension between Sherlock and Joan brings their partnership to a crossroads, but they endeavor to put their differences aside while they help Sherlock's brother, Mycroft, who faces accusations of treason and murder.

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 1, 2014

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

hollylolly posted:

Ep. 23 Art in the Blood - no description yet

Actually, there is.

(also very spoiler-y for similar reasons) Holmes and Watson come into contact with MI-6, the British intelligence agency, when a standard murder investigation turns out to have international and political implications. Meanwhile, in the wake of a crisis, Watson reevaluates her relationships with Sherlock and his brother, Mycroft.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

Actually, there is.

(also very spoiler-y for similar reasons) Holmes and Watson come into contact with MI-6, the British intelligence agency, when a standard murder investigation turns out to have international and political implications. Meanwhile, in the wake of a crisis, Watson reevaluates her relationships with Sherlock and his brother, Mycroft.

Ah, excellent, I couldn't find it for some reason. :)

Also, I PMed Deadpool about a sticky, so we'll see.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"Paint it black" :black101:

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
This version of Sherlock sure eats a lot of crow

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
He does, and I'm glad of it. I'm really tired of the shows about The One Guy Who Is Never, Ever Wrong About Anything. I love that Sherlock is fallible, and while his deduction logic is usually spot on his human interaction can use some work. And also that he gets to the point where he has to, and does, apologize. It's so much more interesting than the Always Right Guy who is just smug about everything and would never apologize. It's one of the things that sets Elementary apart from typical procedurals.

And I'm so glad we're finally getting to see the real Mycroft. :dance:

Paint it Black.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, the fact that Sherlock is human is the only reason the show's this good. Watching him grow to care about people and have that pay off in its own ghoulish sort of way is fantastic.

I hope all of Mycroft's codewords are Rolling Stones songs.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Iowa Snow King posted:

This version of Sherlock sure eats a lot of crow

Yeah, it's an incredibly welcome change from House and its many clones. This Sherlock is brilliant (although not magical) but his brilliance only takes him so far. He's still a maladjusted jerk and it has maladjusted jerk consequences.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I'm really excited for the last two episodes, guys. I can't believe Clyde was a spy for MI6 the whole time.

Seriously, though, that was an incredibly badass way to reveal the true Mycroft. :black101:

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I'm about halfway through this episode. "That's won't be an issue. If anything happens to Joan, I will murder you."

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Good stuff. Kind of funny to see so many people pull one over Holmes. Well, it's to be expected. Watson is his pressure point.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I assumed for a good long while that Mycroft was trying to get the list for his dad.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

hollylolly posted:

I'm really excited for the last two episodes, guys. I can't believe Clyde was a spy for MI6 the whole time.

Seriously, though, that was an incredibly badass way to reveal the true Mycroft. :black101:

What do you mean, "seriously?" I have no trouble believing that Clyde has a camera/listening device built into his shell.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

johntfs posted:

What do you mean, "seriously?" I have no trouble believing that Clyde has a camera/listening device built into his shell.

Maybe that's why he started wearing shell covers, he's becoming a master of disguise. :tinfoil:

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Yeah, Sherlock's humanity and fallibility in this version are one of the reasons I look forward to this show every week. I like the BBC version just fine, but I love that Jonny Lee Miller's Sherlock isn't basically Doctor Who. One of my favorite moments early on was when he had to explain to Captain Gregson about his addiction and it just wrecked him.

And my God, I'd been hoping they'd do more with Mycroft. I was happy with this version, but I was kind of disappointed they'd made him so mundane. Paint it black, indeed.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I'm really worried about the heroin he hid in the book. :(

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

kazmeyer posted:

Yeah, Sherlock's humanity and fallibility in this version are one of the reasons I look forward to this show every week. I like the BBC version just fine, but I love that Jonny Lee Miller's Sherlock isn't basically Doctor Who. One of my favorite moments early on was when he had to explain to Captain Gregson about his addiction and it just wrecked him.

And my God, I'd been hoping they'd do more with Mycroft. I was happy with this version, but I was kind of disappointed they'd made him so mundane. Paint it black, indeed.

Mycroft is far, far smarter than Sherlock, but he's also lazy because he doesn't struggle to do anything. In Doyle's stories Mycroft is only called upon by Her Majesty's Government in times of great crisis, and on those occasions he takes complete charge of running the nation.

We're just seeing now that (show) Mycroft really is that smart - smart enough to make Sherlock underestimate him badly.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Lucy Liu directed one of the best episodes of Elementary I have seen in a long time. It could just be the writing though.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dunno what happened to the writing for that episode, but it was very well done.

LL directed the gently caress out of it though.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I was kind of hoping the Holmes brothers would find Watson only to discover she'd already saved herself. "I escaped hours ago, I kept trying to call you but your phones have been disconnected for some reason?"

I still don't know how I feel about her relationship with Mycroft. Originally I just justified it to myself by thinking that Joan doesn't get a lot of opportunities to get laid, so maybe Mycroft was just... available. And since she figured she'd never see him again, convenient. But then he offered to have a more long-term relationship, and she seriously considered it, and then I was just kind of baffled. I don't get what she sees in him!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I know, he is really gross. And he doesn't even have to look that gross :psyduck:.

It's like baby-boomer surfer hair. It's the worst.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Rocksicles posted:

LL directed the gently caress out of it though.

It kind of bugged me that the mobster guy told his henchmen to kill both of them, then they just sat around for a minute and a half. This was the killer guy they previously established had a quick trigger finger to kill his cousin.

That whole scene took a lot of the enjoyment of the episode away from me. It felt very, very staged and safe. And I think it's entirely to blame on LL's directing.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
to be fair, every movie and tv show where that happens to a protagonist is exactly the same.
Can't really call her out on it.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I can agree it happens a lot on TV and in movies, and it bugs me every time I see it. I can certainly call her out on it, though. It's not "exactly the same" for every show. Even other directors on this show would have done that scene better. You have to agree it's a valid critique. It's really lazy film making. And it completely ruined my immersion.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah that scene was pretty silly, but was worth it just to have Mycroft finally revealed as more than just a dumb, lazy restaurant owner/chef. I did actually laugh though when he said the trigger line, because it implies that he was mic'ed, but for some weird reason the assault team he was with wouldn't have just shot all the bad guys and saved his life if he hadn't said anything. Luckily they decided to not just shoot him in the face immediately, but that was a real Dumb n Dumber 'But what if he shot you in the head?!' moment.

• Locked thread